Guest guest

I would also be interested in this!

Wichman, RD

Benefis Bariatric Institute

406-455-8241

katiewichman@...

Energy and Protein Needs post WLS

Would anyone mind sharing what calculations you use to calculate kcal and

protein needs for patietns who are 1+ years post op WLS?

Guest guest

This is great, I would really like to see what some other programs are using if you wouldn’t mind sharing.

Abby Herrick, RD, LD, cPT

MyNewSelf Bariatrics

Program Dietitian and Wellness Coordinator

(314) 966-9645

abby.herrick@...

www.mynewselfbariatrics.com

Be the change you wish to see in the world

~Gandhi

On Behalf Of Jackie Loughead

Sent: Monday, July 02, 2012 12:38 PM

Bariatric RDs

Subject: Energy and Protein Needs post WLS

Would anyone mind sharing what calculations you use to calculate kcal and protein needs for patietns who are 1+ years post op WLS?

Guest guest

I think the standard seems to be that pts r most successful aiming between 1200-1400 calories/ day . While some can be successful w/ more, it's a abject few and u have to take into acct that most underestimate their intake and may be overestimating their outputSent from my iPhoneOn Jul 2, 2012, at 3:00 PM, "Herrick, Abby" <abby.herrick@...> wrote:

This is great, I would really like to see what some other programs are using if you wouldn’t mind sharing.

<image001.jpg>

MyNewSelf Bariatrics

(314) 966-9645

abby.herrick@...

~Gandhi

Bariatric RDs

Would anyone mind sharing what calculations you use to calculate kcal and protein needs for patietns who are 1+ years post op WLS?

Guest guest

Hi , Is there a calculation that you use or do you just estimate that typically patients should be around this calorie range? Abby Herrick, RD, LD, cPTMyNewSelf BariatricsProgram Dietitian and Wellness Coordinator(314) 966-9645abby.herrick@...www.mynewselfbariatrics.com Be the change you wish to see in the world ~Gandhi From: [mailto: ]On Behalf Of LeBrunSent: Monday, July 02, 2012 6:53 PM Cc: Subject: Re: Energy and Protein Needs post WLS I think the standard seems to be that pts r most successful aiming between 1200-1400 calories/ day . While some can be successful w/ more, it's a abject few and u have to take into acct that most underestimate their intake and may be overestimatingtheir outputSent from my iPhoneOn Jul 2, 2012, at 3:00 PM, " Herrick, Abby " <abby.herrick@...> wrote: This is great, I would really like to see what some other programs are using if you wouldn’t mind sharing. <image001.jpg>Abby Herrick, RD, LD, cPTMyNewSelf BariatricsProgram Dietitian and Wellness Coordinator(314) 966-9645abby.herrick@...www.mynewselfbariatrics.com Be the change you wish to see in the world ~Gandhi From: [mailto: ]On Behalf Of Jackie LougheadSent: Monday, July 02, 2012 12:38 PMBariatric RDsSubject: Energy and Protein Needs post WLS Would anyone mind sharing what calculations you use to calculate kcal and protein needs for patietns who are 1+ years post op WLS?

Guest guest

Hi Abby,You could use the mifflin st. jour, but I don't bother - it's easier to tell everyone to aim for the same calorie level as it seems to work for most pts.  For my height challenged and older females, I usually assume they need the lower range (1200) and for my young and tall males (and females), esp if quite active, I assume they should aim for more the higher end 1300-1400.  Sometimes they can get away with more, but this all irons out as they progress through the first year and more than this is usually unrealistic for most in the first year.

hope this helps clarify,On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Herrick, Abby <abby.herrick@...> wrote:

Hi ,

Is there a calculation that you use or do you just estimate that typically patients should be around this calorie range?

MyNewSelf Bariatrics

(314) 966-9645

abby.herrick@...

~Gandhi

On Behalf Of LeBrun

Sent: Monday, July 02, 2012 6:53 PM

Cc:

Subject: Re: Energy and Protein Needs post WLS

I think the standard seems to be that pts r most successful aiming between 1200-1400 calories/ day .  While some can be successful w/ more, it's a abject few and u have to take into acct that most underestimate their intake and may be overestimating

their output

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 2, 2012, at 3:00 PM, " Herrick, Abby " <abby.herrick@...> wrote:

<image001.jpg>

MyNewSelf Bariatrics

(314) 966-9645

abby.herrick@...

~Gandhi

[mailto: ]

Bariatric RDs

-- LeBrun, MPH,RDSenior Nutritionist Washington Medical Faculty Associates2150 Pennsylvania Ave., NWSte 6-105Washington, DC 20037

202.741.2422clebrun@...

Guest guest

Very true and thank you! Do you say something more 800-1000 during the first 6 months or so as their bodies are getting adjusted to taking in more food?

Have a great holiday!

Abby

MyNewSelf Bariatrics

(314) 966-9645

abby.herrick@...

~Gandhi

On Behalf Of LeBrun

Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 9:25 AM

Hi Abby,

You could use the mifflin st. jour, but I don't bother - it's easier to tell everyone to aim for the same calorie level as it seems to work for most pts. For my height challenged and older females, I usually assume they need the lower

range (1200) and for my young and tall males (and females), esp if quite active, I assume they should aim for more the higher end 1300-1400. Sometimes they can get away with more, but this all irons out as they progress through the first year and more than

this is usually unrealistic for most in the first year.

hope this helps clarify,

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Herrick, Abby <abby.herrick@...> wrote:

Hi ,

Is there a calculation that you use or do you just estimate that typically patients should be around this calorie range?

MyNewSelf Bariatrics

(314) 966-9645

abby.herrick@...

~Gandhi

On Behalf Of LeBrun

Cc:

I think the standard seems to be that pts r most successful aiming between 1200-1400 calories/ day . While some can be successful w/ more, it's a abject few and u have to take

into acct that most underestimate their intake and may be overestimating their output

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 2, 2012, at 3:00 PM, " Herrick, Abby " <abby.herrick@...> wrote:

<image001.jpg>

MyNewSelf Bariatrics

(314) 966-9645

abby.herrick@...

~Gandhi

Bariatric RDs

--

LeBrun, MPH,RD

Senior Nutritionist

Washington Medical Faculty Associates

2150 Pennsylvania Ave., NW

Ste 6-105

Washington, DC 20037

clebrun@...

Guest guest

Yes, they normally do not achieve the 1200- 1400 cAl goal for the 1st 6 mths - theres no rush as long as they r getting the 60-80 grams protein per daySent from my iPhoneOn Jul 3, 2012, at 10:40 AM, "Herrick, Abby" <abby.herrick@...> wrote:

Very true and thank you! Do you say something more 800-1000 during the first 6 months or so as their bodies are getting adjusted to taking in more food?

Have a great holiday!

Abby

<image001.jpg>

MyNewSelf Bariatrics

(314) 966-9645

abby.herrick@...

~Gandhi

On Behalf Of LeBrun

Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 9:25 AM

Hi Abby,

You could use the mifflin st. jour, but I don't bother - it's easier to tell everyone to aim for the same calorie level as it seems to work for most pts. For my height challenged and older females, I usually assume they need the lower

range (1200) and for my young and tall males (and females), esp if quite active, I assume they should aim for more the higher end 1300-1400. Sometimes they can get away with more, but this all irons out as they progress through the first year and more than

this is usually unrealistic for most in the first year.

hope this helps clarify,

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Herrick, Abby <abby.herrick@...> wrote:

Hi ,

<image001.jpg>

MyNewSelf Bariatrics

(314) 966-9645

abby.herrick@...

~Gandhi

On Behalf Of LeBrun

Cc:

I think the standard seems to be that pts r most successful aiming between 1200-1400 calories/ day . While some can be successful w/ more, it's a abject few and u have to take

into acct that most underestimate their intake and may be overestimating their output

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 2, 2012, at 3:00 PM, "Herrick, Abby" <abby.herrick@...> wrote:

<image001.jpg>

MyNewSelf Bariatrics

(314) 966-9645

abby.herrick@...

~Gandhi

Bariatric RDs

--

LeBrun, MPH,RD

Senior Nutritionist

Washington Medical Faculty Associates

2150 Pennsylvania Ave., NW

Ste 6-105

Washington, DC 20037

clebrun@...

Reply to sender |

Reply to group |

Reply via web post |

Start a New Topic