RemedySpot.com

Fiber

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In a message dated 2/6/01 12:43:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Grace & Peace" <

prestonjulia@...> writes:

I realize no one ever bring of the topic of fiber, And to me it's the most imporatnt of them all???????

What is life with out a clean colon?

Ok - as a medical professional, let me say this: there is no such thing as a "CLEAN" colon. All healthy, normal colons have bacteria, and that's the way nature intended (in the biz, we call bacteria "microbiota.") Its when people go off the deep end about fiber that problems arise - why is this such a hot button for me? Because this past summer, I can't tell you how many anal fissures, cysts, and abcesses I had to drain, pack, and clean (part of my training) - mostly due to folks either straining because of constipation, or having way too many enemas (they called them "colon cleansing.") Fiber, when you're constipated, is fine. Normal fiber, up to 15-20 grams per day is great. If you usually have less than 10 grams per day, work your way up to that amount. Otherwise, if you suddenly have an intake of 20 grams of fiber, you will not be able to leave the toilet. My best advice is to get your fiber over the course of the day from vegetables and whole grains, not processed bran or pills. Exercise actually helps elimination, too. This is why, after surgery, the nurses get one up out of bed, and walking down the hall. The action of moving the hips back and forth gets the intestines working - we like it when your bowels work! Passing gas is the surgeons mantra! So...eat those fibrous veggies (cabbage, broccoli, oatmeal, kale, etc.) and move.

a

"The extent you hide your feelings, you are alienated from yourself and others. And your lonliness is proportional." - Dorothy Briggs

Regarding the importance of fiber -

That's why vegetables from the Authorized List are required, at

minimum, for consumption with two out of six of one's meals eac

day - and allowed in unlimited quantity.

Hussman does emphasize the importance of fiber in his BFL

support Web site at http://www.hussman.com/eas

So actually, the importance of fiber is recognized in the BFL

program.

Energetically,

> I realize no one ever bring of the topic of fiber, And to me it's

the most

> imporatnt of them all???????

>

>

> What is life with out a clean colon?

>

> Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at

http://explorer.msn.com

>Ok - as a medical professional, let me say this: there is no such thing as a

> " CLEAN " colon. All healthy, normal colons have bacteria, and that's the way

You want a really clean colon? Try having gastric bypass surgery and then eating

something fatty. ROFL

Tina

• 11 years later...
Guest guest

Hello all,We try to decrease patient complaints of constipation or diarrhea both pre & post-op by recommending Benefiber Clear. Wheat Dextrin provides bulk to help regulate BM, and Colace or Miralax during acute bouts of constipation (primarily due to incorporation of iron post-op). Psyllium and polycarbose are both fermentable in the gut and tend to produce gas. I believe inulin > so many grams will produce additional gas - not something our gastric bypass pts need after

surgery. I have also heard that the "gels" tend to create a nice cement type obstruction at the stoma, but not sure how true... maybe it was the older formulations?Best, Parrott, MS, RD, CPT