We are considering spliting up our bariatric education portion of the support

group so that one class is for band patients and the other is for bypass and

sleeve patients. The patients will still be able to come to both therapy group

sessions with the counselor, but the education session will be seperated by

procedure. I see the value in it as the band procedure is very different from

the other two and it can create confusion in the class, especially for new

patients learning to use their tool. I wanted to see if I could get some other

RD's perspectives as we tend to be the one faciliating the groups and dealing

with the nutrition and eating behaviors.

Thanks for your help,

Abby

What I usually recommend is 15 mg of zinc and 2 mg of copper because zinc and copper are absorbed in the same area/mechanism and compete with each other. The zinc and copper should not be taken at the same time of day, but rather separated by at least 4 hours to be most effective. Zinc and Copper should both help with iron absorption in the body so it should be helpful. Iron supplements are helpful in anemia, but follow a procedure such as bypass, Vit B 12 deficiency should be ruled out (if a pt is found to be deficient, they can take 500-1000 mcg/day sublingual or injections through their doctor once a month). Biotin can help with hair loss, but not always. Increasing protein intake, taking a multi-vitamin and possibly the zinc and copper can help. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions. Have a great day! Teague, RD, LDNBayhealth Food & Nutrition ServicesBayhealth BariatricsMilford Memorial HospitalKent General Hospital(302) 430-5528 (office)(302) 735-2793 (pager)----- wrote: ----- From: RITIKA SAMADDAR Sent by: Date: 01/30/2012 11:39AMSubject: RE: support groups Any recommendations on vitamins/biotin/iron/zinc to prevent hair loss. Hair loss post Bariatric Surgery is very common in India. Ritika Samaddar, RDChief DieticianMax HealthcareNew Delhi, IndiaFrom: Ewing, (RCC) <ewingkri@...>Subject: RE: support groups Date: Thursday, 26 January, 2012, 7:31 PM I have facilitated separate support groups for band and bypass for a few years. The topics of discussion are very different and we avoid the inevitable “my surgery is better” discussion. From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Herrick, AbbySent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:14 PM Subject: support groups We are considering spliting up our bariatric education portion of the support group so that one class is for band patients and the other is for bypass and sleeve patients. The patients will still be able to come to both therapy group sessions with the counselor, but the education session will be seperated by procedure. I see the value in it as the band procedure is very different from the other two and it can create confusion in the class, especially for new patients learning to use their tool. I wanted to see if I could get some other RD's perspectives as we tend to be the one faciliating the groups and dealing with the nutrition and eating behaviors. Thanks for your help,AbbyConfidentiality Notice: This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential information that is legally privileged. This information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. The authorized recipient of this information is prohibited from disclosing this information to any other party unless required to do so by law or regulation. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken in reliance on the contents of these documents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately, reply to this transmission, or contact the CentraCare Health System Privacy officer at (320) 656-7066 and delete these documents.