RemedySpot.com

Re: Women in France -- especially in foie gras country -- live longer than people almost anywhere else.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The title and introductory paragraphs would have one believe

these centenarians are eating lots of fatty foods and copious

amounts of wine. However, reading further, we discover that

moderation is the name of the game (duh). They drink a little

wine, rarely small amounts of foie gras, olive oil over cream

and other fats, exercise, etc.. Furthermore, there may be a

link to vitamin D from sun exposure, as the longest-living are

in the southern parts of France.

-

--- In , Francesca Skelton <fskelton@...>

wrote:

>

>

> Recipe for More Golden Years?

> Women in France -- especially in foie gras country -- live longer than

> people almost anywhere else.

>

> By Molly

> Washington Post Foreign Service

> Monday, February 5, 2007; Page A11

I'm with you, . I read that article and thought, "What paradox?" I'm sure their overall calorie intake is very low, irrespective of the types of food they eat. But, then there's no controversy or drama in that.

You've got a good point about vitamin D. I've been thinking a lot about that this winter, realizing that I can't possibly be receiving any from the sun. Where can you get it apart from supplements and "fortified" foods in the winter? I wonder if "flu season" is at least in part a product of seasonal vitamin D deficiency, but that's another discussion.

chris

[ ] Re: Women in France -- especially in foie gras country -- live longer than people almost anywhere else.

The title and introductory paragraphs would have one believethese centenarians are eating lots of fatty foods and copiousamounts of wine. However, reading further, we discover thatmoderation is the name of the game (duh). They drink a littlewine, rarely small amounts of foie gras, olive oil over creamand other fats, exercise, etc.. Furthermore, there may be alink to vitamin D from sun exposure, as the longest-living arein the southern parts of France.->> > Recipe for More Golden Years?> Women in France -- especially in foie gras country -- live longer than> people almost anywhere else.> > By Molly > Washington Post Foreign Service> Monday, February 5, 2007; Page

A11

They had pictures of these women in the article in the paper. Several were not on the thin side at all.

on 2/7/2007 10:59 AM, chris at ucla_mishka@... wrote:

I'm with you, . I read that article and thought, " What paradox? " I'm sure their overall calorie intake is very low, irrespective of the types of food they eat. But, then there's no controversy or drama in that.