RemedySpot.com

Re: Antidote to sensations from beans?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I cut my intake of lean meats by half, for non-health reasons and for the possible methionine issue, replacing them with beans. I've been at this for a couple of months, but regretfully have to stop this. Even if I could stand the 3-4 mad daily rushes to the toilet for loose stools, the constant strong auditory and olfactory signals generously transmitted to all in my vicinity are not conducive to a healthy social situation.

The type of beans (black, kidney, adzuki, chickpeas) doesn't matter, all have the same effect. I open a precooked can of beans, and mix them into one kilo of thawed, slightly precooked vegetables. I eat slowly, deliberately, chewing well, for 45 minutes at each meal. It doesn't help. The auditory and olfactory signals are strong and consistent.

The problem has not been reduced over time, if anything it has increased. If anybody, by a miracle, has a possible solution to the problem, let me know, otherwise I don't see any other solution than returning in full force to my lean meat.

Ulf

Guest guest

Have you tried BEANO? It is supposed to mitigate the flatulence.JROn Apr 9, 2007, at 7:09 AM, Ulf Rasmusson wrote:I cut my intake of lean meats by half, for non-health reasons and for the possible methionine issue, replacing them with beans. I've been at this for a couple of months, but regretfully have to stop this. Even if I could stand the 3-4 mad daily rushes to the toilet for loose stools, the constant strong auditory and olfactory signals generously transmitted to all in my vicinity are not conducive to a healthy social situation.The type of beans (black, kidney, adzuki, chickpeas) doesn't matter, all have the same effect. I open a precooked can of beans, and mix them into one kilo of thawed, slightly precooked vegetables. I eat slowly, deliberately, chewing well, for 45 minutes at each meal. It doesn't help. The auditory and olfactory signals are strong and consistent.The problem has not been reduced over time, if anything it has increased. If anybody, by a miracle, has a possible solution to the problem, let me know, otherwise I don't see any other solution than returning in full force to my lean meat. Ulf 

Guest guest

Hi Ulf. A couple things you may want to consider before you make the switch back as you will be trading off a lot more than you think... A "can" is about 2 cups. Thats quite a bit. You may want to try backing off a bit and start back in by adding in about 1/2 cup a day for a few days and see how you tolerate that. A standard "serving" is considered 1/3 of a cup, so 2 cups is like 6 servings. Beano also can help, and the liquid Beano you add to the food seems to work better. There is another product called "Legumase" which is sold as an ingredient in some supplements like "Say Yes To Beans" which I think is more effective. RegardsJeff

Guest guest

Jeff: do you know if any of those enzymes or whatever "digestion helpers" change the effective energy balance of what we get from legumes, while that is surely a secondary consideration? A second more whimsical question, I notice that beans stain my plastic container when I hydrate them overnight before cooking, and stain my stainless steel cooking pan. when I slow simmer them in water. I wonder if this affinity to plastic and metal also leaves a similar residue inside our body? Of course our bodies don't see similar concentrations, and perhaps the offending agents have been cooked out by the time we eat them. I rinse my beans well for this reason, but admit it's not very scientific.JROn Apr 9, 2007, at 8:41 AM, Jeff Novick wrote:Hi Ulf. A couple things you may want to consider before you make the switch back as you will be trading off a lot more than you think...A "can" is about 2 cups.  Thats quite a bit.  You may want to try backing off a bit and start back in by adding in about 1/2 cup a day for a few days and see how you tolerate that.  A standard "serving" is considered 1/3 of a cup, so 2 cups is like 6 servings. Beano also can help, and the liquid Beano you add to the food seems to work better. There is another product called  "Legumase" which is sold as an ingredient in some supplements like "Say Yes To Beans" which I think is more effective. RegardsJeff 

Guest guest

I dont know if they effect energy balance but its a great question as it makes sense that if we can break down, digest and absorb more of what we consume, then we would increase caloric intake. However, my understanding is that the enzymes are helping break down some of the undigestible fibers, which would contribute little calories per gram. Most of the small amount of calories we do get from fibers is from fermentation in the colon. Its estimated to be about 1.5-2.5 calories per gram. RegardsJeff <crjohnr@...> wrote: Jeff: do you know if any of those enzymes or whatever "digestion helpers" change the effective energy balance of what we get from legumes, while that is surely a secondary consideration? A second more whimsical question, I notice that beans stain my plastic container when I hydrate them overnight before cooking, and stain my stainless steel cooking pan. when I slow simmer them in water. I wonder if this affinity to plastic and metal also leaves a similar residue inside our body? Of course our bodies don't see similar concentrations, and perhaps the offending agents have been cooked out by the time we eat them. I rinse my beans well for this reason, but admit it's not very scientific. JR On Apr 9, 2007, at 8:41 AM, Jeff Novick wrote: Hi Ulf. A couple things you may want to consider before you make the switch back as you will be trading off a lot more than you think... A "can" is about 2 cups. Thats quite a bit. You may want to try backing off a bit and start back in by adding in about 1/2 cup a day for a few days and see how you tolerate that. A standard "serving" is considered 1/3 of a cup, so 2 cups is like 6 servings. Beano also can help, and the

liquid Beano you add to the food seems to work better. There is another product called "Legumase" which is sold as an ingredient in some supplements like "Say Yes To Beans" which I think is more effective. RegardsJeff

Guest guest

I find it makes a big difference to soak dried beans for 12-36

hours,

changing the water every 8-12 hours, before cooking. Cook the beans

thoroughly. Generally, I do not eat more than 1/2 cup (cooked) in

one meal. For me, flatulence is thus reduced but not eliminated.

Commercially prepared beans (tinned or from restaurants) are often

cooked with less soaking, I believe.

Tadd

Ulf Rasmusson wrote:

I cut my intake of lean meats by

half, for non-health reasons and for the possible methionine issue,

replacing them with beans. I've been at this for a couple of months,

but regretfully have to stop this. Even if I could stand the 3-4 mad

daily rushes to the toilet for loose stools, the constant strong

auditory and olfactory signals generously transmitted to all in my

vicinity are not conducive to a healthy social situation.

The type of beans (black, kidney,

adzuki, chickpeas) doesn't matter, all have the same effect. I open a

precooked can of beans, and mix them into one kilo of thawed, slightly

precooked vegetables. I eat slowly, deliberately, chewing well, for 45

minutes at each meal. It doesn't help. The auditory and olfactory

signals are strong and consistent.

The problem has not been reduced

over time, if anything it has increased. If anybody, by a miracle, has

a possible solution to the problem, let me know, otherwise I don't see

any other solution than returning in full force to my lean meat.

Ulf

_

Guest guest

All

It's nice to know other Beano-type products. I was not aware of " say yes to

beans " or Legumase.

I consume Beano twice a day because those of us who are vegans have trouble with

gas when consuming guar gum. People who consume yogurts and other dairy products

do not seem to have problem with intestinal gas when consuming guar gum. I found

a Beano alternative on the web at www.bean-zyme.com, sold by ValuePriceMeds. It

is really inexpensive compared to store bought Beano and the company ships you

the product incredibly fast. (I am not associated with the company.)

I consume legumes daily (lentils or chick peas), although mine are sprouted. I

use them on pates that I make weekly. Sprouting them may help reduce intestinal

gas. The total amount that I consume of legumes alone daily, though, is not more

than about 1/3 of a cup, because there are other vegetables mixed in with the

legumes.

Cheers,

Arturo

Re: Antidote to sensations from beans?

Posted by: " Jeff Novick " chefjeff40@... chefjeff40

Mon Apr 9, 2007 6:42 am (PST)

Hi Ulf.

A couple things you may want to consider before you make the switch back as you

will be trading off a lot more than you think...

A " can " is about 2 cups. Thats quite a bit. You may want to try backing off a

bit and start back in by adding in about 1/2 cup a day for a few days and see

how you tolerate that. A standard " serving " is considered 1/3 of a cup, so 2

cups is like 6 servings.

Beano also can help, and the liquid Beano you add to the food seems to work

better.

There is another product called " Legumase " which is sold as an ingredient in

some supplements like " Say Yes To Beans " which I think is more effective.

Regards

Jeff

Guest guest

>

> ..I open a precooked can of beans, and mix them into one

> kilo of thawed, slightly precooked vegetables. I eat slowly,

> deliberately, chewing well, for 45 minutes at each meal.

> It doesn't help. The auditory and olfactory signals are

> strong and consistent.

My opinion:

You are trying to eat way too much fiber in one meal. A can of beans

has about 25 grams

of fiber, which is about right for one meal. Adding a kilo of

vegetables will probably at

least double that amount of fiber, creating gastric distress.

And of course, if the vegetables include the turbulent cruciferous

kind (broccoli,

cauliflower, cabbage), your problem will be much worse. A kilo of

vegetables should not

be eaten at the same time as a can of beans. I suggest waiting at

least an hour after

finishing one before eating the other. And don't eat fruit in the

same meal with beans, or

that will also increase the turbulence.

But try to eat a little grain with the beans (rice?) to complete the

protein. (I currently follow

my can of beans with a bowl of Cheerios in almond milk.)

Bruce

Guest guest

Arturo,

As a fellow vegan, I breathed a sigh of relief for you when

you clarified and wrote that you were using something other

than the original Beano. My understanding is the latter is

made with animal-sourced (fish?) gelatin.

-

>

> All

> It's nice to know other Beano-type products. I was not aware

of " say yes to beans " or Legumase.

> I consume Beano twice a day because those of us who are vegans have

trouble with gas when consuming guar gum. People who consume yogurts

and other dairy products do not seem to have problem with intestinal

gas when consuming guar gum. I found a Beano alternative on the web

at www.bean-zyme.com, sold by ValuePriceMeds. It is really

inexpensive compared to store bought Beano and the company ships you

the product incredibly fast. (I am not associated with the company.)

[...]