RemedySpot.com

Bone density problem

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I've been a lurker on this list for months. I now would like to pick your brains about preventing bone loss, which is beginning for me. Despite thinking I was being mindful about calcium (dietary intake not supplements), I'm now losing bone density, which is very scary. My lastest BD test shows me at a slight risk of fracture. Hip bone density has declined since my benchmark test taken in 2002 when I was 46. My right hip T-score is now at -

1.3, which puts me in the oseopenic range. The decrease since 2002 is 9%.

Background: I'm turning 52 next month, am 5'8 " and experienced relatively early menopause around age 48/49. I come from a big boned, heavy-set family, but have been careful about my diet most of my adult life (am the only slender one of six siblings), but was overweight as a teen (150 pounds). My weight ranged between 135 to 140 pounds from age 25 when I began to exercise to early '07.

Because of health fears due to family history that includes heart disease, high BP and Alzeiheimers, I started CRON Feb. 07, and went from 135 to 117 pounds over a period of four months, losing about a pound a week (my BMI went from 20.5 to 17.8). My blood pressure went from high to the usual nice low CRON level.

I have maintained very easily at 117/118 since then, but my family doc disappoves of me being this thin. She would prefer that I gained five to 10 pounds (she's 20 pounds overweight herself and doesn't appear to consider this a problem).

My husband, also a doctor (internal medicine) thinks my current weight is great and is very supportive, and says I look slender and healthy, not at all starved. (Most of the sickest patients he sees are overweight.) My husband is naturally slender, and not doing CRON, but has lost 10 pounds following my example and cutting his empty calories and because of my serving more veg and less starch for dinner.

I have exercised moderately for years, walking regularly in the country with my dogs, about 30-40 minutes daily and gardening (we have several acres). Since last spring, I've take 3 yoga classes a week (Hatha yoga at an intermediate level).

I am now taking calcium citrate and considering taking a calcium supplement with MCHC, but am concerned about the bovine source and the dangers of BSE. I take Vitamin D 1000-2000 IU daily through the winter and several times a week in summer, plus getting sun daily. I had my 25-Hydroxy Vit D level checked in the spring and it was high at 110. I also take 1000-2000 mg of Vitamin C daily.

Besides loads of fruit and veg, lots of it fresh, I eat a cup of low fat yogurt with breakfast and also with my lunch veg salad (subbing for all the high fat cheese I used to enjoy). Protein intake also includes chicken, low fat cottage cheese, fish, nuts, and whey.

Would gaining a little weight help prevent more bone loss, say going to 125 and a BMI of 19? Any advice you have would be most helpful.

Thanks,