RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: 'Oldest human being' dies at 116

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Al Pater: what are we supposed to learn from this? (A rhetorical question?)

Reply-< >

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 22:31:03 -0000

< >

Subject: [ ] Re: 'Oldest human being' dies at 116

Both his diet and his marital status are not statistically correlated

with longevity.

Diane

>

> 'Oldest human being' dies at 116

>

> Hryhoriy put his long life down to the fact he never married

>

> He recommends a diet of milk, cheese and potatoes as well as the

occasional shot of vodka.

>

Hi All, http://tinyurl.com/3dgnu4 Positive Aging CenterCentenarians' Lifestyle - What Works, What Doesn't W. Griffith, MD June 18, 2004 Professor Perls of Harvard Medical School is the founder of the New England Centenarian Study (NECS); this study reports on the heath of some of the United States' oldest citizens. He has distilled the most interesting results in his book "Living to 100". Here are some further extracts. Griffith, Editor. ... Most researchers believe that studies of diet, lifestyle, and personality would yield more concrete, usable information about healthy aging. However, one morning we were at a lecture at Beth Israel-Deaconess Medical Center, where we happened to bump into Lester Steinberg, the son of one of our NECS subjects. At 79, Dr. Steinberg shows all the signs of slow aging we've become accustomed to

seeing among centenarians' children, and he continues to practice medicine in the Boston area. Lectures such as the one we were attending are frequently accompanied by breakfast buffets; Dr. Steinberg reached out for a particularly sugary Danish. "Do you really want to do that?" we said, surprised at Dr. Steinberg's choice of breakfast fare. "Why not?" he replied. "I bet if you really knew what all the centenarians grew up eating, even my mother, you would be astounded. Back at the turn of the century, everyone ate fatty, salty foods. Storing food was the big problem, and people ate salted fish and meat, and pickled meat and vegetables. Everyone ate as much sugar and fat as they could find, because it was scarcer. I'm sure my mother grew up eating Danishes, and for all I know, they're probably good for me!" ... ... One of the most interesting paradoxes we found in the study was that

a relatively high proportion of female centenarians -- about 14% -- lacked the most important social connection in our culture: marriage. A surprisingly large proportion of our centenarian women never married, even though marriage was an important goal for young women of this generation. ... ... Cheers, AlFrancesca Skelton <fskelton@...> wrote: Al Pater: what are we supposed to learn from this? (A

rhetorical question?) From: Diane Walter <dianepwalter >Reply-< >Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 22:31:03 -0000< >Subject: [ ] Re: 'Oldest human being' dies at 116 Both his diet and his marital status are not statistically correlatedwith longevity. Diane>> 'Oldest human being' dies at 116> > Hryhoriy put his long life down to the fact he never married> > He recommends a diet of milk, cheese and potatoes as well as theoccasional shot of

vodka.>

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.