RemedySpot.com

RE: Global obesity epidemic

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I recently had occasion to take an airplane trip. I’m always astounded noticing people’s eating

habits while waiting around airports. In one instance an enormous (350 lbs?) young woman sat down next to me while eating her supersize Mc’s. In another at the big airport eating mall in Chicago, the lines for the fattiest, most unhealthy foods were the longest while I had an easy time on the short salad bar line (one advantage to the obesity epidemic :-)).

But closer to home I had a few unsettling incidents recently. One friend (who of course knows my CR background) was lamenting to me that she was afraid that she was going to inherit her mother’s dementia. When I suggested to her that this was not necessarily the case if she took precautions with her health, she argued with me that “nothing can be done”.

I saw that no amount of telling her otherwise was going to help. I gave up.

Reply-< >

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 20:37:01 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

< >

Subject: [ ] Global obesity epidemic

All

In case this has not been posted to the list, here is an interesting article on the global obesity epidemic.

Cheers

Arturo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7057951.stm

Francesca:

You are too right!

I recently ran into the "You Can't Fight GENETICS!!!" tirade when in a discussion at a Bible Study. No matter how many studies I cited (Fuhrman, Walford, China Study, etc.) It all boiled down to learned helplessness.

Let ours be the generation of reeducation in health, nutrition, awareness & empowerment.

Marsha

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Francesca SkeltonSent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 8:42 AMsupport groupSubject: Re: [ ] Global obesity epidemic

I recently had occasion to take an airplane trip. I’m always astounded noticing people’s eatinghabits while waiting around airports. In one instance an enormous (350 lbs?) young woman sat down next to me while eating her supersize Mc’s. In another at the big airport eating mall in Chicago, the lines for the fattiest, most unhealthy foods were the longest while I had an easy time on the short salad bar line (one advantage to the obesity epidemic :-)).But closer to home I had a few unsettling incidents recently. One friend (who of course knows my CR background) was lamenting to me that she was afraid that she was going to inherit her mother’s dementia. When I suggested to her that this was not necessarily the case if she took precautions with her health, she argued with me that “nothing can be done”. I saw that no amount of telling her otherwise was going to help. I gave up.

From: Arturo Veve <volae@...>Reply-< >Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 20:37:01 -0700 (GMT-07:00) < >Subject: [ ] Global obesity epidemic AllIn case this has not been posted to the list, here is an interesting article on the global obesity epidemic.CheersArturohttp://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7057951.stm

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition.Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.15.9/1090 - Release Date: 10/24/2007 8:48 AM

No virus found in this outgoing message.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.15.9/1090 - Release Date: 10/24/2007 8:48 AM

I was at a conference recently and a MD was asked that

question (genetics?) and he said..

all humans are gentically predisposed to drowning, its

the way our lungs are. We cant extract oxygen from

water. But, as long as you dont get yourself into

water over your head, you dont have to worry about it.

Our current food/lifestyle environment is " water over

our heads "

jeff

An excellent analogy. One learns to either stay out of the water or

learn to swim to avoid drowning. Just as one should learn to eat

nutritiously and with restraint in order to avoid obesity.

Diane

>

> I was at a conference recently and a MD was asked that

> question (genetics?) and he said..

>

> all humans are gentically predisposed to drowning, its

> the way our lungs are. We cant extract oxygen from

> water. But, as long as you dont get yourself into

> water over your head, you dont have to worry about it.

>

>

> Our current food/lifestyle environment is " water over

> our heads "

>

> jeff

>

At first read that sounds a little defeatist, but just like treading water to remain afloat we must constantly exert active effort to suppress ingrained responses and resist the flood of easy calories we are exposed to.Over time we can habituate healthy eating and exercise behaviors but we never lose the appetite pilot light glowing deep inside all of us, ready to flare up given the opportunity.I suspect the food industry will come up with lower calorie healthier fare when they figure out how to profit from it. Until then we must be aware of our tendencies and diligent.JROn Oct 24, 2007, at 1:09 PM, Jeff Novick wrote:I was at a conference recently and a MD was asked thatquestion (genetics?) and he said..all humans are gentically predisposed to drowning, itsthe way our lungs are. We cant extract oxygen fromwater. But, as long as you dont get yourself intowater over your head, you dont have to worry about it.Our current food/lifestyle environment is "water overour heads"jeff