RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Why garlic is good for the heart

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My suspicion is the beneficial mechanisms connected to Garlic extend well beyond relaxing blood vessels.Coincidentally I just dosed up with (two cloves) raw garlic about an hour ago. I slice it thinly and swallow with juice. I think I read that you need to crush it to break the cellular structure and release the actice ingredients. I don't feel like chewing, or crushing so I slice. I suspect the good stuff gets out no matter how we prep, but I never perceived the same physiological response from processed or odorless garlic preparations, like I do from the real deal, but this is only one rat anecdotal. Folks selling the dried stuff are proud of their wares.  JROn Oct 16, 2007, at 3:04 PM, Rodney wrote:Hi folks:This raises the question as to the best way to take garlic.FWIW I occasionally (~once a week) chop a clove of garlic into pill-sized pieces and swallow them with warm tea, as if they are pills, without chewing.This way I get raw garlic into my system without complaints from the neighbors : ^ )))Somewhere a long time ago I read a paper which reported that powdered garlic did not have the effects of raw garlic. But I forget now what they had been testing it for. Any documentation on this would be helpful.Any other suggestions for good ways to take it?Rodney.>> > Researchers have cracked the mystery of why eating garlic can help> keep the heart healthy.> > The key is allicin, which is broken down into the foul-smelling> sulphur compounds which taint breath.> > These compounds react with red blood cells and produce hydrogen> sulphide which relaxes the blood vessels, and keeps blood flowing easily.> > The University of Alabama at Birmingham research appears in> Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.> > > Our results suggest garlic in the diet is a very good thing> says Dr Kraus of the University of Alabama, one of the authors> of the study.> > However, UK experts warned taking garlic supplements could lead to> side effects.> > Hydrogen sulphide generates a smell of rotten eggs and is used to make> stink bombs.> > But at low concentrations it plays a vital role in helping cells to> communicate with each other.> > And within the blood vessels it stimulates the cells that form the> lining to relax, causing the vessels to dilate.> > This, in turn, reduces blood pressure, allowing the blood to carry> more oxygen to essential organs, and reducing pressure on the heart.> > The Alabama team bathed rat blood vessels in a bath containing juice> from crushed garlic.> > Striking results> > This produced striking results - with tension within the vessels> reduced by 72%.> > The researchers also found that red blood cells exposed to minute> amounts of juice extracted from supermarket garlic immediately began> emitting hydrogen sulphide.> > Further experiments showed that the chemical reaction took place> mainly on the surface of the blood cells.> > The researchers suggest that hydrogen sulphide production in red blood> cells could be used to standardise dietary garlic supplements.> > "Certainly in areas where garlic consumption is high, such as the> Mediterranean and the Far East, there is a low incidence of> cardiovascular disease."> > Judy O'Sullivan, a cardiac nurse at the British Heart Foundation,> said: "This interesting study suggests that garlic may provide some> heart health benefits.> > "However, there remains insufficient evidence to support the notion of> eating garlic as medicine in order to reduce the risk of developing> coronary heart disease.> > "Having garlic as part of a varied diet is a matter of personal choice.> > "It is important to note that large amounts in supplement form may> interact with blood thinning drugs and could increase the risk of> bleeding." > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7045557.stm>

I could swear that Al Pater once posted a study about powdered garlic being just as good.

FWIW, I add fresh garlic to sauces, soups, stews etc. I wait til the dish is finished cooking, then turn off the heat, put the garlic in a garlic crusher, and add it. It is thus minimally cooked, or barely heated and you don’t know you’re eating it as it’s mixed with the food and adds a delicious tang.

Reply-< >

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 20:04:22 -0000

< >

Subject: [ ] Re: Why garlic is good for the heart

Hi folks:

This raises the question as to the best way to take garlic.

FWIW I occasionally (~once a week) chop a clove of garlic into pill-

sized pieces and swallow them with warm tea, as if they are pills,

without chewing.

This way I get raw garlic into my system without complaints from the

neighbors : ^ )))

Somewhere a long time ago I read a paper which reported that powdered

garlic did not have the effects of raw garlic. But I forget now what

they had been testing it for. Any documentation on this would be

helpful.

Any other suggestions for good ways to take it?

Rodney.

>

>

> Researchers have cracked the mystery of why eating garlic can help

> keep the heart healthy.

>

> The key is allicin, which is broken down into the foul-smelling

> sulphur compounds which taint breath.

>

> These compounds react with red blood cells and produce hydrogen

> sulphide which relaxes the blood vessels, and keeps blood flowing

easily.

>

> The University of Alabama at Birmingham research appears in

> Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

>

>

> Our results suggest garlic in the diet is a very good thing

> says Dr Kraus of the University of Alabama, one of the authors

> of the study.

>

> However, UK experts warned taking garlic supplements could lead to

> side effects.

>

> Hydrogen sulphide generates a smell of rotten eggs and is used to

make

> stink bombs.

>

> But at low concentrations it plays a vital role in helping cells to

> communicate with each other.

>

> And within the blood vessels it stimulates the cells that form the

> lining to relax, causing the vessels to dilate.

>

> This, in turn, reduces blood pressure, allowing the blood to carry

> more oxygen to essential organs, and reducing pressure on the heart.

>

> The Alabama team bathed rat blood vessels in a bath containing juice

> from crushed garlic.

>

> Striking results

>

> This produced striking results - with tension within the vessels

> reduced by 72%.

>

> The researchers also found that red blood cells exposed to minute

> amounts of juice extracted from supermarket garlic immediately began

> emitting hydrogen sulphide.

>

> Further experiments showed that the chemical reaction took place

> mainly on the surface of the blood cells.

>

> The researchers suggest that hydrogen sulphide production in red

blood

> cells could be used to standardise dietary garlic supplements.

>

> " Certainly in areas where garlic consumption is high, such as the

> Mediterranean and the Far East, there is a low incidence of

> cardiovascular disease. "

>

> Judy O'Sullivan, a cardiac nurse at the British Heart Foundation,

> said: " This interesting study suggests that garlic may provide some

> heart health benefits.

>

> " However, there remains insufficient evidence to support the notion

of

> eating garlic as medicine in order to reduce the risk of developing