RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Rebiana

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

The article I read was in yesterday's Wall Street Journal.The specific comment I paraphrased is...  "Mr. Strickland said the early studies that found ill effects used unrefined stevia, but health problems haven't been reported with refined versions of the herb. Rebiana is an even more refined version of stevia than those evaluated in WHO report, which found no significant risks, he said. ..."Stickland is Chief innovation officer at Coca cola so not a researcher and clearly biased. WHO report last year on Stevia reported no major toxicity issue with stevia, but wanted more testing wrt blood sugar and hypertension.IMO it is fair to speculate that removing the component that causes the unpleasant aftertaste "could" make it more inert, but there is no credible proof to support that, thus my characterization of it as speculation.I repeat my hope that this will lead to more testing (not approved in US) and perhaps more healthy options for my obese countrymen.JR On Jun 1, 2007, at 8:17 AM, orb85750 wrote:Do you have a reference concerning this statement:"They are even speculating that the removed component should make stevia even safer." I was not able to find that in my reading of a few rebiana news stories.Thanks, -Dave>> Apparently big food (Cargill) is working on re-inventing stevia but > with the chemicals that left a sometimes bitter aftertaste removed, > using a patented process and new trademarked name (Rebiana) so they > can profit from this otherwise natural plant extract and compete with > sucralose while being able to call it a mostly natural product.> > Maybe this will get stevia properly vetted with more extensive safety > studies, and make it better tasting (I wasn't very happy with stevia > I bought in the past). They are even speculating that the removed > component should make stevia even safer (one '85 study linked stevia > to liver mutations in rats).> > While I'm not overly concerned about the safety of sucralose or > stevia, I am all in favor of more options, and anything that helps > the wider public be less wide.> > JR>

Guest guest

Don't these procedures (safely testing of new food additives) usually take several years to finalize? ISTM this new product will not be available, if it ever will be, for many years.

On 6/1/07, <crjohnr@...> wrote:

The article I read was in yesterday's Wall Street Journal.........

Guest guest

Indeed, Stevia is not even legal in US as food AFAIK.. Sold as magical herb.JROn Jun 1, 2007, at 9:39 AM, Dowling wrote:Don't these procedures (safely testing of new food additives) usually take several years to finalize?  ISTM this new product will not be available, if it ever will be, for many years.On 6/1/07, <crjohnrbellsouth (DOT) net> wrote:The article I read was in yesterday's Wall Street Journal.........