RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Liver cancer and protein: Why bother?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Incidence per year: http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/l/liver_cancer/prevalence.htm One-fourth of 1.5% seems like a tiny risk. It just puzzled me that anyone would do anything to reduce a risk at this level. Partly, I posted my original query because I consume a lot of protein (I do not want to lose muscle, and high protein intake makes it easier for me to build and maintain muscle). My observations of old people indicate that they are often severely debilitated by muscular weakness. Also, I like to be strong and "look good," and to me that involves a fairly high level of muscular development (believe me, I am no Arnold, nor would I want to be; but I do like to be able to participate in sports, lift heavy objects, carry myself with confidence, and take off my shirt without feeling like an advertisement for Kozy Shack pudding). I

have tried to achieve that without high levels of protein, and it doesn't work, although I would not argue that this is true for most people. Rodney <perspect1111@...> wrote: Hi :I would be interested to know the source of your statistic that *incidence* of liver cancer is 1 in 16,000. My understanding is that in the US it accounts for 1.5% of all cancer *deaths*, which in turn are about one quarter of all deaths.Also, there do seem to be other good reasons to

restrict protein intake (methionine for example, as has been discussed here in some detail). And if protein is so successful, apparently, at feeding liver cancer I would be concerned that it *might* also be good at feeding some other types of cancer. But it is possible that it is not the protein itself that is the problem but some trace non-protein substance accompanying the protein in the food.Based on what we know now, I am not suggesting reducing the intake of any amino acid, or total protein, below recommended levels ........ but wondering if it might be wise to try to restrict some of them to no more than the RDA, and avoid going hog-wild on the high side.In CR we have to restrict calories of some kind. So we have to try to decide which it may be best to dispense with. Clearly we do not have all the answers, so posting papers that have relevance to this issue will be very helpful.Research has

so far only barely scratched the surface of this topic, and we will know a lot more ten years from now. Hopefully.Rodney.>> Why would you be willing to make major changes in your diet to possible reduce liver cancer risk, given that this is a rare cancer (incidence about 1 in 16,000) and that much of it appears to be associated with hepatitis? I don't think I'd be willing to do anything at all to change my risk of suffering something that rare. > > > __________________________________________________>