RemedySpot.com

Re: Re:Speaking of Japan

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

What about the use of drugs, tobacco and alcohol in young people there?

We seem to have a lot of pressure on certain children who do not achieve well, and they succumb to "distractions".

Even in the 60's children had access to public clinics.

Today the programs are available here but there seems to be a lot of public complaint about "aliens".

Not getting into right or wrong, these are drivers for "stress/mental well-being".

Regards.

[ ] Re:Speaking of Japan

One of the factors that affects lifespan is stress/mental wellbeing.

I have always been amazed at the government services provided in Japan. Just like the childrens center below. When I was on Okinawa there were a plethora of FREE childrens centers to take the kids to. There are rooms everywhere for baby changing and breastfeeding. They have community centers and parks that are actually kept up and used by the community. I would go for a walk in the park and see groups of people - young and old - praticing dance routines or musical presentations that they would show at local festivals. There really is a "group" consciousness in Japan. This leads to the feeling that you are supported by the community and government - which leads to mental well being.

While the diet of Japan gets worse and their life expectancy drops I still think they will live longer than us simply for the fact that I think that they are community oriented. And old people are stil respected in Japan. I think the mental aspect is just as important as the physical when it comes to longevity.

-Ed

In Tokyo, the local government has started offering lifestyle coaching forobese children. At one children's center, counselors advise children oneating habits, exercise and dieting safely. The weekly program has about 50children on its waiting list.For decades, the life expectancy of Okinawan men was among the world'shighest. But after American fast food arrived in the late 1940s, Spam andtaco-rice slowly supplanted the much healthier local diet. Every year, thegovernment in Tokyo publishes longevity statistics for Japan's 47prefectures. After falling in the rankings from the top to fifth in 1990,Okinawan men slumped to 26th in 2000.