RemedySpot.com

Re: discussing Marathons can make you sick (100% chance)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This is off topic and I apologize to the list for wasting bandwidth. For the record I am not advocating running marathons, but you shouldn't be afraid to, if so inclined. This topic will be pretty distorted by individual bias and motivation to rationalize personal decision pro or con. I suspect my biases are apparent. So take my comments with a dose of electrolyte replacement.Participating in sports can result in injuries, usually not life threatening. Running is a softer form of competition as the vast majority who race are competing against themselves trying to improve upon a previous time or in the case of marathons, just finishing. Tens of thousands of runners don't all believe they could win. Running one does give them something they can brag about around the water cooler. Many don't make it the full distance, but I thought that race was stopped because of the death so the 10,934 DNF would have included slower runners who could have.  45,000 entrants is a lot of runners (for a marathon) and Chicago is pretty popular with recreational runners because it is mostly flat, and normally cool. I suspect it attracts more than it's share of newbie runners. The common problems for inexperienced runners is lack of conditioning (you can't will yourself to run 26 miles) and improper hydration. People have also died from drinking too much water, which is newsworthy (I guess), but lets not add drinking water to a never ending list of life threatening activities to avoid. Life can kill us, so be aware of the sundry risks but don't believe you can live longer by not running in marathons, or not drinking water. If we don't embrace life, what's the point?Find a path that works for you, and walk, or run on it as you please.JR On Oct 9, 2007, at 12:21 AM, citpeks wrote:JR,I found it astounding that in the Chicago Marathon "At least 49 peoplewere taken to hospitals, while another 250 were treated onsite, manyfor heat-related ailments." The story also said that "About 10,000 ofthe 45,000 registered runners never even showed up for the 30th annualChicago race, while another 10,934 started but didn't finish" So, of the 35,000 who actually raced, about 300 required treatment ora hospital visit. That is about 1%.I don't think that is funny, but here is the smiley face :-)Tony>

Of course, it is absolutely impossible to train for a marathon if

practicing CR anyway. Proper training requires many long sessions on

the order of ~15 miles. If a 130-lb. adult runs 15 miles at 7.5 mph,

it will result in a burn of nearly 1500 calories, while a 155-lb.

adult will burn about 1750! (Data taken from

http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist3.htm)

-Dave

> > >

> >

>