only 52% as likely to be diagnosed with prostate cancer as those who

do not drink red wine, reports the June 2007 issue of Harvard Men's

Health Watch. In addition, red wine appears particularly protective

against advanced or aggressive cancers.

Researchers in Seattle collected information about many factors that

might influence the risk of prostate cancer in men between ages 40 and

64, including alcohol consumption. At first the results for alcohol

consumption seemed similar to the findings of many earlier studies:

There was no relationship between overall consumption and risk.

But the scientists went one step further by evaluating each type of

alcoholic beverage independently. Here the news was surprising—wine

drinking was linked to a reduced risk of prostate cancer. And when

white wine was compared with red, red had the most benefit. Even low

amounts seemed to help, and for every additional glass of red wine per

week, the relative risk declined by 6%.

Why red wine? Doctors don't know. But much of the speculation focuses

on chemicals—including various flavonoids and resveratrol—missing from

other alcoholic beverages. These components have antioxidant

properties, and some appear to counterbalance androgens, the male

hormones that stimulate the prostate.

Many doctors are reluctant to recommend drinking alcohol for health,

fearing that their patients might assume that if a little alcohol is

good, a lot might be better. The Harvard Men's Health Watch notes that

men who enjoy alcohol and can drink in moderation and responsibly may

benefit from a lower risk of heart attack, stroke, diabetes, and

cardiac death.

Adapted from materials provided by Harvard Men's Health Watch.

Int J Cancer. 2007 Apr 1;120(7):1529-35. LinksA prospective cohort study of red wine consumption and risk of prostate cancer.Sutcliffe S, Giovannucci E, Leitzmann MF, Rimm EB, Stampfer MJ, Willett WC, Platz EA.Department of Epidemiology, s Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA. In light of recent, strong inverse findings between lifetime red wine consumption and prostate cancer among younger men, we revisited our previous cohort analysis to more thoroughly investigate red wine consumption and prostate cancer in the Health Professionals Follow-up Study (HPFS). In 1986, HPFS participants reported their average consumption of red wine, white wine, beer and liquor during the past year, and their change in alcohol consumption over the prior 10 years. Prostate cancer diagnoses were ascertained on each biennial questionnaire and confirmed by medical record review. Between 1986 and 2002, 3,348 cases of prostate cancer were

diagnosed among 45,433 eligible participants. Using men who did not consume red wine as the reference, no linear trend was observed between red wine consumption and prostate cancer in the full analytic cohort (p-trend = 0.57). Among men with unchanged alcohol consumption in the prior 10 years, and those additionally <65 years of age, slightly lower risks were observed for men who consumed <or=4 glasses of red wine/week, whereas null or slight increased risks were observed for men who consumed >4 glasses/week, resulting in a lack of linear trend. These findings suggest that red wine does not contribute appreciably to the etiology of prostate cancer. PMID: 17211860bill4cr <bill4cr@...> wrote: As a man I ma particularly concerned with protecting my prostate. Idon't generally advocate consuming alcoholic beverages as part of anyhealth & wellbeing strategy but this study came to an interestingconclusion: "Even low amounts seemed to help, and for every additional glass ofred wine per week, the relative risk declined by 6%."We've discussed wine here in the past, but I personally could notarrive at any firm conclusion as whether it should or could be part ofa CRON lifestyle? Would wine confer any additional benefit to healthyCRON? Can I get the same prostate benefit from a glass of grape juiceor eating more dark red grapes, or is there smthg else that appears inthe wine due to the way it's processed? Or, maybe,

whatever MAY be inthe wine is also present in the nutrient-dense plant based diet that Iam already consuming? Also, does anyone have any other evidence to show that wine isprotective to other organs as well?ps: Please forgive, I don't have the actual study I wish I did:Red Wine Protects The Prostate, Research SuggestsScienceDaily (May 26, 2007) — Researchers have found that men whodrink an average of four to seven glasses of red wine per week areonly 52% as likely to be diagnosed with prostate cancer as those whodo not drink red wine, reports the June 2007 issue of Harvard Men'sHealth Watch. In addition, red wine appears particularly protectiveagainst advanced or aggressive cancers.Researchers in Seattle collected information about many factors thatmight influence the risk of prostate cancer in men between ages 40 and64, including alcohol consumption. At first the results for

alcoholconsumption seemed similar to the findings of many earlier studies:There was no relationship between overall consumption and risk.But the scientists went one step further by evaluating each type ofalcoholic beverage independently. Here the news was surprising—winedrinking was linked to a reduced risk of prostate cancer. And whenwhite wine was compared with red, red had the most benefit. Even lowamounts seemed to help, and for every additional glass of red wine perweek, the relative risk declined by 6%.Why red wine? Doctors don't know. But much of the speculation focuseson chemicals—including various flavonoids and resveratrol—missing fromother alcoholic beverages. These components have antioxidantproperties, and some appear to counterbalance androgens, the malehormones that stimulate the prostate.Many doctors are reluctant to recommend drinking alcohol for health,fearing that their patients

might assume that if a little alcohol isgood, a lot might be better. The Harvard Men's Health Watch notes thatmen who enjoy alcohol and can drink in moderation and responsibly maybenefit from a lower risk of heart attack, stroke, diabetes, andcardiac death.Adapted from materials provided by Harvard Men's Health Watch.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.