RemedySpot.com

Re: Off topic :Snoring

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Assuming the individual is not overweight,  I believe there are some surgical remedies for  extreme cases. A simple solution is separate bedrooms.JROn Feb 16, 2008, at 11:08 AM, Francesca Skelton wrote:Does anyone know of any simple solutions to snoring?  We have tried the obvious ones (sleeping on your side, elevating your head, nose strips) and none of them are working.  

This person needs to have a sleep study. Ask your doctor to set up one. Snoring can be a sign of sleep apnea, which in turn leads to severe cardiac disease. It is not to be taken lightly.I had a sleep study, now have a CPAP and feel 100% better. If you don't believe me, so a google search on sleep apnea and snoring.MJMOn Feb 16, 2008, at 9:13 AM, wrote:Assuming the individual is not overweight, I believe there are some surgical remedies for extreme cases. A simple solution is separate bedrooms.JROn Feb 16, 2008, at 11:08 AM, Francesca Skelton wrote:Does anyone know of any simple solutions to snoring? We have tried the obvious ones (sleeping on your side, elevating your head, nose strips) and none of them are working. Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

I’ve researched sleep apnea and he doesn’t seem to have it. His heart is fine. He does have HBP but is on BP meds. We do sleep in separate bedrooms but would like to go back to sleeping in the same bedroom.

He’s overweight but not obese. I posted a few months ago about the BP meds dilemma possibly having the side effect of weight gain. Losing weight is of course is easier said than done.

My next step is (unless someone posts a solution I haven’t yet heard of) to look into one of those chin strap thingies which prevent the jaw from becoming lax during sleep. Anyone tried that?

Reply-< >

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:20:28 -0800

< >

Subject: Re: [ ] Off topic :Snoring

This person needs to have a sleep study. Ask your doctor to set up one. Snoring can be a sign of sleep apnea, which in turn leads to severe cardiac disease. It is not to be taken lightly.

I had a sleep study, now have a CPAP and feel 100% better.

If you don't believe me, so a google search on sleep apnea and snoring.

MJM

On Feb 16, 2008, at 9:13 AM, wrote:

Assuming the individual is not overweight, I believe there are some surgical remedies for extreme cases.

A simple solution is separate bedrooms.

JR

On Feb 16, 2008, at 11:08 AM, Francesca Skelton wrote:

Does anyone know of any simple solutions to snoring? We have tried the obvious ones (sleeping on your side, elevating your head, nose strips) and none of them are working.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

Francesca,People who have snoring problems really do need a sleep study to rule out sleep apnea. I am an anesthetist and can tell you that snoring is a sign of respiratory obstruction and can lead to death. We have seen a number of patients whose carbon dioxide goes up and oxygen saturation goes down with what appears to be simple snoring. The neck devise may work to clear the obstruction, but I would strongly recommend a sleep study. The results will show what happens to the brain in different levels of sleep and with changes in the carbon dioxide levels in the blood.We will not do anesthesia on people with sleep apnea in an ambulatory surgery center unless they go home with someone who will monitor their breathing. A little mild narcotic can lead to chemical and obstructive changes and loss of oxygen, which can have devastating results.There is a major lawsuit in our area of a man who had a history of snoring, didn't have a sleep study, had plastic surgery, was given vicodin for post-operative pain and died from airway obstruction.It is a topic I feel strongly about, but don't just listen to me...ask the experts.MJMOn Feb 16, 2008, at 11:03 AM, Francesca Skelton wrote:I’ve researched sleep apnea and he doesn’t seem to have it. His heart is fine. He does have HBP but is on BP meds. We do sleep in separate bedrooms but would like to go back to sleeping in the same bedroom.He’s overweight but not obese. I posted a few months ago about the BP meds dilemma possibly having the side effect of weight gain. Losing weight is of course is easier said than done.My next step is (unless someone posts a solution I haven’t yet heard of) to look into one of those chin strap thingies which prevent the jaw from becoming lax during sleep. Anyone tried that?From: Jan Mannino <mjm1@...>Reply-< >Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:20:28 -0800< >Subject: Re: [ ] Off topic :Snoring This person needs to have a sleep study. Ask your doctor to set up one. Snoring can be a sign of sleep apnea, which in turn leads to severe cardiac disease. It is not to be taken lightly.I had a sleep study, now have a CPAP and feel 100% better. If you don't believe me, so a google search on sleep apnea and snoring.MJMOn Feb 16, 2008, at 9:13 AM, wrote:Assuming the individual is not overweight, I believe there are some surgical remedies for extreme cases. A simple solution is separate bedrooms.JROn Feb 16, 2008, at 11:08 AM, Francesca Skelton wrote:Does anyone know of any simple solutions to snoring? We have tried the obvious ones (sleeping on your side, elevating your head, nose strips) and none of them are working. Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

Hi Jan: I really appreciate your viewpoint. But I’ve conferred with our doctor (who does a thorough yearly checkup on my husband) and she and I both agree that since his breathing is normal during sleep, he probably does not require tests for sleep apnea. However should simple measures fail to stop his snoring, we certainly intend to have him tested.

As it happens, I received an off list message yesterday to try a few more things. Last nite we tried a saline nose spray, simply because I had it conveniently at hand. Bottom line: It’s been a long time since my bedroom was as quiet as it was last night, so I can only pray that we have found a simple solution. Of course one night is not enough to pronounce the problem solved. But time will tell.

Reply-< >

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:23:10 -0800

< >

Francesca,

People who have snoring problems really do need a sleep study to rule out sleep apnea. I am an anesthetist and can tell you that snoring is a sign of respiratory obstruction and can lead to death. We have seen a number of patients whose carbon dioxide goes up and oxygen saturation goes down with what appears to be simple snoring. The neck devise may work to clear the obstruction, but I would strongly recommend a sleep study. The results will show what happens to the brain in different levels of sleep and with changes in the carbon dioxide levels in the blood.

We will not do anesthesia on people with sleep apnea in an ambulatory surgery center unless they go home with someone who will monitor their breathing. A little mild narcotic can lead to chemical and obstructive changes and loss of oxygen, which can have devastating results.

There is a major lawsuit in our area of a man who had a history of snoring, didn't have a sleep study, had plastic surgery, was given vicodin for post-operative pain and died from airway obstruction.

It is a topic I feel strongly about, but don't just listen to me...ask the experts.

MJM

On Feb 16, 2008, at 11:03 AM, Francesca Skelton wrote:

I’ve researched sleep apnea and he doesn’t seem to have it. His heart is fine. He does have HBP but is on BP meds. We do sleep in separate bedrooms but would like to go back to sleeping in the same bedroom.

He’s overweight but not obese. I posted a few months ago about the BP meds dilemma possibly having the side effect of weight gain. Losing weight is of course is easier said than done.

My next step is (unless someone posts a solution I haven’t yet heard of) to look into one of those chin strap thingies which prevent the jaw from becoming lax during sleep. Anyone tried that?

Reply-< >

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:20:28 -0800

< >

This person needs to have a sleep study. Ask your doctor to set up one. Snoring can be a sign of sleep apnea, which in turn leads to severe cardiac disease. It is not to be taken lightly.

I had a sleep study, now have a CPAP and feel 100% better.

If you don't believe me, so a google search on sleep apnea and snoring.

MJM

On Feb 16, 2008, at 9:13 AM, wrote:

Assuming the individual is not overweight, I believe there are some surgical remedies for extreme cases.

A simple solution is separate bedrooms.

JR

On Feb 16, 2008, at 11:08 AM, Francesca Skelton wrote:

Does anyone know of any simple solutions to snoring? We have tried the obvious ones (sleeping on your side, elevating your head, nose strips) and none of them are working.