RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Washing Vegetables

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I understand your suspicion that lettuces were causing your digestive problems. But how do you relate fish to pesticides? Especially wild ocean spawned fish? Is it your contention that the oceans are polluted with pesticides?

Reply-< >

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:38:22 -0800

< >

Subject: Re: [ ] Re: Washing Veggetables

they test for. It proves nothing for the stuff I actually get in the store.

I was looking at PD, and found an article on pesticides but those aren't the

only things that bother me.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez & artid=136 <http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez & amp;artid=136>

" In conclusion, there is mounting evidence that chronic moderate pesticide

exposure is neurotoxic and increases risk of Parkinson disease. "

It convinced ne to quit eating fish.

Fish do accumulate fat soluble toxins in their adipose (think mercury) with the fish higher up the food chain (swordfish, tuna, etc.) more problematic, as they accumulate the toxins from smaller fry they eat.I am a little apprehensive about fish farmed in pens immediately offshore where the water quality is questionable and difficult to control.Wild ocean spawned fish should be better but I am always suspicious of the food industry, and vague global supply chains.I continue to consume inexpensive canned salmon, that AFAIK is harvested in the wild, but I wouldn't be surprised if farmed fish finds it's way into those cans too... Generally it's the tail meat and scrap left over from larger steaks. I suspect farmed fish has scrap too but hopefully that goes straight to the cat food industry. JR PS: I often peel the skin from fruit despite the general advice that skin contains good stuff.. I am more concerned about the bad stuff it may also contain. I've seen shiny apples that didn't come off with water and elbow grease. I never saw an apple on a tree that looked like that.  I'll eat the skin if I pick the apple in my yard, otherwise usually not.On Feb 15, 2008, at 12:00 PM, Francesca Skelton wrote:I understand your suspicion that lettuces were causing your digestive problems.  But how do you relate fish to pesticides?  Especially wild ocean spawned fish?  Is it your contention that the oceans are polluted with pesticides?From: jwwright <jwwrighteastex (DOT) net>Reply-To: < >Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:38:22 -0800To: < >Subject: Re: [ ] Re: Washing Veggetables they test for. It proves nothing for the stuff I actually get in the store.

What I didn’t understand about JW’s fish apprehension is that there are facts out there (from consumer groups and reliable sources) about mercury levels in fish and we can make choices. The pesticide levels of fruits and vegetables are a bit more vague (which is why we have a thriving organic produce industry and why chains such as “Whole Foods” are thriving).

Reply-< >

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:39:57 -0600

< >

Subject: Re: [ ] Re: Washing Vegetables

Fish do accumulate fat soluble toxins in their adipose (think mercury) with the fish higher up the food chain (swordfish, tuna, etc.) more problematic, as they accumulate the toxins from smaller fry they eat.

I am a little apprehensive about fish farmed in pens immediately offshore where the water quality is questionable and difficult to control.

Wild ocean spawned fish should be better but I am always suspicious of the food industry, and vague global supply chains.

I continue to consume inexpensive canned salmon, that AFAIK is harvested in the wild, but I wouldn't be surprised if farmed fish finds it's way into those cans too... Generally it's the tail meat and scrap left over from larger steaks. I suspect farmed fish has scrap too but hopefully that goes straight to the cat food industry. 

JR 

PS: I often peel the skin from fruit despite the general advice that skin contains good stuff.. I am more concerned about the bad stuff it may also contain. I've seen shiny apples that didn't come off with water and elbow grease. I never saw an apple on a tree that looked like that.  I'll eat the skin if I pick the apple in my yard, otherwise usually not.

On Feb 15, 2008, at 12:00 PM, Francesca Skelton wrote:

I understand your suspicion that lettuces were causing your digestive problems.  But how do you relate fish to pesticides?  Especially wild ocean spawned fish?  Is it your contention that the oceans are polluted with pesticides?

Reply-To: < >

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:38:22 -0800

To: < >

Subject: Re: [ ] Re: Washing Veggetables

Francesca,

I don't know and that's the problem. I'm concerned the oceans are

continually used for dumping.

Recently we read about a warning about eating fish from Lake Livingston, a

major Houston reservoir.

I don't get that fish you describe. The salmon is all colored, eg. The

stores and restaurants are using imported fish like farm raised tilapia. I

can taste a chemical in there - maybe it's just me, but that taste reminds

me of formaldehyde dosed with a lot of salt.

I had an opportunity to buy a book specifying toxins, about the size of a

modern nutrition 1999 (4 " ). I couldn't begin to absorb all that info or use

it. There are thousands.

We have to rely on the gov't to test/check all the food and increasingly

many food come from foreign countries. So that opens another possible source

of different toxins.

So I make a trade off, do the animals absorb more into their flesh than I

would absorb if I ate their food, eg. The fish we might eat are carnivorous,

so there may be an increased level over a land ruminant.

And I recall when mercury levels were judged they took as the standard the

actual levels at that time, so that background level over 70 years may be

accumulating in us.

Best thing, IMO, is eat as little as possible of animal flesh, get the DHA

from fish oil.

And use frozen foods because they are blanched. We know the aflatoxin (just

an example) levels are reduced by 90% in boiling.

The levels today of man made toxins has got to be more than the centenarians

encountered?

Just my take. They haven't determined the cause of dementia, ARMD, PD yet.

Regards.

Re: [ ] Re: Washing Veggetables

I was looking at PD, and found an article on pesticides but those aren't the

only things that bother me.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez & artid=136

<http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez & amp;arti

d=136>

" In conclusion, there is mounting evidence that chronic moderate pesticide

exposure is neurotoxic and increases risk of Parkinson disease. "

It convinced ne to quit eating fish.