RemedySpot.com

Re: Methione, CRON & Okinawa (was: And what do you plan to do about it? (was:]Methionine and Brain Function)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

It seems to me that if one is following a lower fat, higher carb plant based, whole food diet, and restricting calories, then they are also restricting methionine. BTW, this weekend I spent some time reviewing, and presenting, some of the Okinawa data that came out a few months ago, and noticed some interesting points.Caloric Restriction, the Traditional Okinawan Diet, and Healthy Aging, The Diet of the World’s Longest-Lived People and Its Potential Impact on Morbidity and Life SpanAnn. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 1114: 434–455 (2007).The data from 1949, which was reflective of those who would become centenarians, showed their intake to provide about a 11% restriction (in regard to their estimated energy needs). This is one that seems to go along with the more moderate approach we lean towards here. This resulted in an estimated BMI of 21.2, again, well within the 18.5 - 22 that other data we have posted here supports. They were estimated to burn about 841 calories per day which (after accounting for TEF) would be an activity factor of about 1.55 which is the equivalent of being moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) which again, would be inline with what we say here.The calorie density of the diet was 1.4 cal/gm or 635 cal/pound which is also in line with the recent WCF/AICR report on cancer that recommended an average calorie density of 1.25 cal/gm or 567 calories per pound.But what i found most interesting is in spite of their nutrient dense diet, they were short on several nutrients. Nutrient, Amount, % RDAVitamin D (mcg) 0.4 2%Vitamin B2(mg) 0.5 45%Niacin (mg) 13.2 93%Vitamin B12: 0.6 27%Calcium (mg) 505.3 82%Zinc (mg) 6.2 62%And while several reported experiencing some signs/symptoms reflective of these deficiencies, including 14% reported experiencing symptoms of Cheilosis, which is reflective of the B deficiencies, this didn't effect the overall benefit of their overall diet and lifestyle to their longevity.My point is that maybe we are splitting hairs over micro-managing some things that may not matter to the bigger picture. With the bigger picture being, restrict calories 10-20%, aim for a BMI of 18.5 - 22, focus on low calorie dense, high nutrient dense foods, be moderately active, and enjoy life. RegardsJeff