RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Health Attributes of processed (Vegan) Foods

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Your experience with the "processed" vegan foods was probably more typical of processed foods in general than vegan diets. While it is a good reminder of sloppy or incomplete dietary thinking.The food "business" is all about merchandising the appearance of being healthful, while appealing to our intrinsic taste hot buttons, (sugar, fat, etc). This is no different than "fat-free" foods, full of sugar, and "sugar-free" foods full of fat, and salt-free foods full of sugar and fat  :-). People tend to oversimplify dietary choices into all good or all bad choices... life is rarely that simple.Is anybody surprised?  If it has a label on it, don't read the label.. just throw it away (exaggeration, read the label then throw it away).JROn Apr 1, 2008, at 3:02 PM, Rodney wrote:Hi folks:Clarification on a couple of points.First, the purpose of my original post was not to lament the lack of vegan recipes one might possibly cook, but instead to point out the nature of some of the foods vegans, and those who sell foods to vegans, apparently think are fine to eat.   I learned a lot from this exercise about why vegans do not live any longer than health-conscious non-vegans despite the well known health issues associated with with many animal products. As Jeff Novick so often says:  saying someone is vegetarian or vegan does not tell you what they eat, it tells you what they do not eat.  And if many of them eat much of the stuff I described, then no wonder the not-overwhelmingly-favorable study results, and why some vegetarians I know are far from slim.Second, the purpose of serving some vegan ready-prepared products was for our guests and us to become more acquainted with the types of vegan foods that are available from serious vegan food outlets.  The same remarks apply.  We learned a lot   ........   best not to touch many of these products with a ten foot pole.Rodney.-

Guest guest

so-no fat-free-sugar-free-dairy-free-all-natural-organic-vitamin-enriched cheesecake? you're breaking my heart!:) <robertsjohnh@...> wrote: Your experience with the "processed" vegan foods was probably more typical of processed foods in general than vegan diets. While it is a good reminder of sloppy or incomplete dietary thinking.The food "business" is all about merchandising the appearance of being healthful, while appealing to our intrinsic taste

hot buttons, (sugar, fat, etc). This is no different than "fat-free" foods, full of sugar, and "sugar-free" foods full of fat, and salt-free foods full of sugar and fat :-). People tend to oversimplify dietary choices into all good or all bad choices... life is rarely that simple.Is anybody surprised? If it has a label on it, don't read the label.. just throw it away (exaggeration, read the label then throw it away).JROn Apr 1, 2008, at 3:02 PM, Rodney wrote:Hi folks:Clarification on a couple of points.First, the purpose of my original post was not to lament the lack of vegan recipes one might possibly cook, but instead to point out the nature of some of the foods vegans, and those who sell foods to vegans, apparently think are fine to eat. I learned a lot from this exercise about why vegans do not live any longer than health-conscious non-vegans despite the well known health issues associated with with many animal products. As Jeff Novick so often says: saying someone is vegetarian or vegan does not tell you what they eat,

it tells you what they do not eat. And if many of them eat much of the stuff I described, then no wonder the not-overwhelmingly-favorable study results, and why some vegetarians I know are far from slim.Second, the purpose of serving some vegan ready-prepared products was for our guests and us to become more acquainted with the types of vegan foods that are available from serious vegan food outlets. The same remarks apply. We learned a lot ........ best not to touch many of these products with a ten foot pole.Rodney.-