RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: too much Vitamin D

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

To perhaps expand upon your comments, we have discussed this before but Vitamin D is fat soluble and hormone-like so it is possible to over supplement and get too much of that good thing. It is important to differentiate between supplementing Vit D and making natural Vitamin D.--------http://dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp#h7From this website symptoms of Vit D toxicity include "Vitamin D toxicity can cause nausea, vomiting, poor appetite, constipation, weakness, and weight loss [59]. It can also raise blood levels of calcium [6], causing mental status changes such as confusion. High blood levels of calcium also can cause heart rhythm abnormalities. Calcinosis, the deposition of calcium and phosphate in the body's soft tissues such as the kidney, can also be caused by vitamin D toxicity [4]. 59. Chesney RW. Vitamin D: Can an upper limit be defined? J Nutr 1989;119 (12 Suppl):1825-8. [PubMed abstract]6. Favus MJ and Christakos S. Primer on the Metabolic Bone Diseases and Disorders of Mineral Metabolism. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott-Raven, 1996.4. Institute of Medicine, Food and Nutrition Board. Dietary Reference Intakes: Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Vitamin D and Fluoride. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, 1999.-----------------------Vitamin D is manufactured by our body from cholesterol under our skin and sunlight, so using that vector for topping off our Vit D, shares the benefits of being self regulated by our body's needs (we'll just stop making more when we have enough), and reducing cholesterol. It follows that ingesting instead of making Vit D even in less than overdose amounts, increases cholesterol that isn't converted. Vit D was well researched decades ago when establishing recommendations for fortified foods (like milk) to prevent rickets and deficiency diseases. There are negative associations with calcium build up and  circulatory problems from ingesting too much Vit D.I wouldn't hold my breath for new research, while the fashion may swing away from the zero sunlight tolerance which is not healthy IMO.The Kime "Sunlight" book published almost 30 years ago lists some 15 citations in the chapter discussing "too much" but I'm too lazy to type them out and most are 30 years old, many much older.JROn Mar 29, 2008, at 9:06 PM, Rodney wrote:Hi folks:For now I have no qualms about getting too much vitamin D  ..............  at least until someone authors a study showing moderate sunshine exposure causes serious problems, which seems very unlikely.But there is no doubt that all the 'essential' metallic nutrients are harmful in larger amounts - the only question being how much is too much.  So it seems to me that, as regards the subject line of this thread, it may be a lot easier to get too much calcium.   If we knew the symptoms of, or, better, the tests for, excessive calcium we would be a lot further ahead.  Any thoughts?My understanding is that blood calcium is so closely controlled at the expense of calcium elsewhere in the body, that it cannot be used as an indicator of calcium sufficiency or excess.And methionine and the metals may not be the only essential nutrients for which we do not want more than the RDA.Rodney.