RemedySpot.com

Re: too much Vitamin D

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi JR:

Thank you.

I guess my concern is that while we have a fairly clear indicator of excess vitamin D - serum 25(OH)D above 250 nmol/L - it is not clear to me how one can reliably assess excess calcium.

It would be nice to be made aware at a very early stage of excess calcium intake, rather than have to wait for symptoms, which can be quite serious, it seems.

But my guess is that I am more likely currently to be calcium-deficient, because of a long established habit of not overdoing nutrient supplements of any kind. Before raising my intake of supplemental calcium I would like to know what *early* warning signals I should use to provide a long lead time before calcium intake became genuinely excessive.

This has become an issue for me only since the Nebraska study found a halving of new cancer cases for post-menopausal women taking 1500 mg of supplemental calcium. Should I, like them, be taking 1500 mg of it daily in addition to my intake from food? Or should I be very cautious about this? If we had a test that was able to warn reliably when intake, or total accumulated inventory of it, was too high, it would be helpful.

Rodney.

> > >> > Hi folks:> >> > For now I have no qualms about getting too much vitamin > > D .............. at least until someone authors a study showing > > moderate sunshine exposure causes serious problems, which seems > > very unlikely.> >> > But there is no doubt that all the 'essential' metallic nutrients > > are harmful in larger amounts - the only question being how much is > > too much. So it seems to me that, as regards the subject line of > > this thread, it may be a lot easier to get too much calcium.> >> > If we knew the symptoms of, or, better, the tests for, excessive > > calcium we would be a lot further ahead. Any thoughts?> >> > My understanding is that blood calcium is so closely controlled at > > the expense of calcium elsewhere in the body, that it cannot be > > used as an indicator of calcium sufficiency or excess.> >> > And methionine and the metals may not be the only essential > > nutrients for which we do not want more than the RDA.> >> > Rodney.> >> >> >> >> >>