RemedySpot.com

Re: Calorie Restriction and Body Weight

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Tony:

This SEEMS to be saying that increased mortality only occurs below 50% of the group mean. That is a huge degree of CR:

To quote from your post: "Increased mortality was seen with intakes below 50% of group mean."

Perhaps the full text says something different from the abstract? But if not then how can you say that 16% CR is the maximum safe level, and then quote this paper as support?

Rodney.

>> Some time ago, I posted about how CR affects body weight. I have been> able to correlate the results of the Mifflin-St Jeor energy equation> for humans with the experimental results for CR mouse weight.> > Another CRONie and I collaborated to derive the mouse equations from> the Mifflin-St Jeor equations. I feel that this provides very strong> evidence that similar limiting mechanisms between nutrition and body> weight may be involved for different species. > > I have created a web page that shows the graphs and the mathematical> derivation:> http://www.scientificpsychic.com/health/CR-weight.html> > One interesting conclusion from this analysis was that for CR started> in adulthood the maximum safe Percent CR is around 16% CR. This also> seems to correlate with the findings in the following study:> > Willcox BJ, Yano K, Chen R, Willcox DC, BL, Masaki KH,> Donlon T, Tanaka B, Curb JD., How much should we eat? The association> between energy intake and mortality in a 36-year follow-up study of> Japanese-American men, J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci., 2004> Aug;59(8):789-95. PMID: 15345727> "After adjustment for age and other confounders, there was a trend> toward lower mortality in the second quintile of energy intake,> suggesting that men who consumed 15% below the group mean were at the> lowest risk for all-cause mortality. Increased mortality was seen with> intakes below 50% of group mean." > > Tony Zamora>