>

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/7490202.stm

>

> Hopefully not for natto? ; ^ )))

>

> Rodney.

>

Guest guest

Also moderate intake of soy posed no problems.

Moderation etc.

Reply-< >

Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 16:10:53 -0000

< >

Subject: [ ] Re: Soy >>> Dementia

Before the results of this soy/dementia study are deemed reliable, it

seems they'll need to repeat it in a country that doesn't use

formaldehyde to preserve tofu.

>

> Hi folks:

>

> It looks like there is now another study suggesting a positive

> association between some soy products and dementia:

>

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/7490202.stm

>

> Hopefully not for natto? ; ^ )))

>

> Rodney.

>

Guest guest

Hi folks:

Of course a previous study, done in Hawaii, also found an association between tofu and dementia. According to Dr. Walford the study's credentials were impeccable. Do they also use formaldehyde in Hawaii?

Are there other sources which suggest a relationship between formaldehyde and dementia?

Dave found the abstract of this most recent study and it appears to say that tempe is independently associated with better memory (not just less bad than with tofu), although only just at the threshold of statistical significance, I think.

So it may not be the beans themselves (says he, as he goes off to buy some more natto!)

Rodney.

> >> > Hi folks:> > > > It looks like there is now another study suggesting a positive> > association between some soy products and dementia:> > > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/7490202.stm> > > > Hopefully not for natto? ; ^ )))> > > > Rodney.> >>

Guest guest

thank you thank you thank for saying that

there are so many other factors that i haven't seen mentioned in the

research - the processing chemicals, the pesticides, the WATER may

be heavily polluted with mercury for all we know...

>

> Before the results of this soy/dementia study are deemed reliable,

it

> seems they'll need to repeat it in a country that doesn't use

> formaldehyde to preserve tofu.

>

>

> --- In , " Rodney " <perspect1111@>

wrote:

> >

> > Hi folks:

> >

> > It looks like there is now another study suggesting a positive

> > association between some soy products and dementia:

> >

> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/7490202.stm

> >

> > Hopefully not for natto? ; ^ )))

> >

> > Rodney.

> >

>

Guest guest

Hi:

Well yes, maybe.

But what do we know? We know there are now two studies which connect tofu with dementia.

Do we have studies showing that this is related to the processing chemicals? Not as far as I know. Do we have studies suggesting it is related to pesticides? Not as far as I know. Do we have studies showing it is caused by mercury contamination? Not that I know of.

We currently have no idea what component of the tofu is responsible. Do you know the types of processing chemicals used in your tofu? Or whether yours is affected by pesticides or mercury? Or by all kinds of other factors that might conceivably explain the findings?

It seems to me you are *hoping* that, whatever the cause is, your tofu is not affected. All I know is that something in the tofus used in the studies seems to be a problem (if the findings continue to be repeated) and my response is to minimize tofu intake until the cause is known.

This is part of my approach to health. There is something to be said, imo, in favor of adopting a behavior when:

1. There is no reasonable probability that adopting it (omitting tofu) could increase risk, while:

2. There is a possibility that not adopting the behavior might increase a major risk that, while still not fully explained, seems to have been scientifically demonstrated.

An analogy might be crossing the street with your eyes shut when you can hear traffic (i.e. the two studies) coming, on the basis that you hope you will not be in exactly the same spot as the traffic at exactly the same moment (i.e. your tofu will not be hit). It is likely you will not be hit by the traffic. But there is no increase in risk associated with staying on the sidewalk and watching until the traffic clears (the scientific evidence clears up what the cause is).

JMO. We are, of course, each entitled to decide for ourselves how to respond.

Rodney.

> > >> > > Hi folks:> > > > > > It looks like there is now another study suggesting a positive > > > association between some soy products and dementia:> > > > > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/7490202.stm> > > > > > Hopefully not for natto? ; ^ )))> > > > > > Rodney.> > >> >>

Guest guest

Hi:

And perhaps I should have added that dementia is of especially enormous consequence to people like us, who are doing what we are doing because of a reasonable expectation that by doing so we may be able to live to a great age in good health.

For those who, for whatever reason, expect to die at 50, these tofu findings mean little.

Rodney.

> > > >> > > > Hi folks:> > > >> > > > It looks like there is now another study suggesting a positive> > > > association between some soy products and dementia:> > > >> > > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/7490202.stm> > > >> > > > Hopefully not for natto? ; ^ )))> > > >> > > > Rodney.> > > >> > >> >>