RemedySpot.com

Sirtuins, Aging and Disease

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Excellent video, and All,

I enjoyed hearing that Sirt1/resveratro manipulation is a hormesis-like phenomenon. It may be that combining CR or longevity at optimum levels with the Sirt1/resveratrol manipulation may lead to shorter lives, since adding multiple copies of Sirt1 can go beyond optimum effects. Dr. Leonard Guarente himself does not use the available products.

Sirtuins, Aging and Disease

https://www.biosymposia.org/webinars/webinar_description.php/id/31352/view/2

Cheers,-- Aalt Pater

Huh. No one is interested to make comment??The reason i ask is there seems to be a wide range of macronutrientratio's between CRON'ers from low fat Ornish style to high protein'Zone" to higher 'good' fat Mediterranean.After reading a few choice studies they indicate caloricallyrestricted peeps may need additional protein intake even beyond theRDA's, I'm thinking of increasing my protein to 30 or even 40% oftotal cals.For instance, this shows that we may need more than RDA of protein toprevent muscle wasting:1)J Nutr Health Aging. 2007 Jul-Aug;11(4) :363-9.LinksRelationship between antioxidant intakes and class I sarcopenia inelderly men and women.Chaput JP, Lord C, Cloutier M, Aubertin Leheure M, Goulet ED,Rousseau S, Khalil A, Dionne IJ.... Fat-free mass and total appendicular skeletal muscle mass

wasdetermined by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry in 50 healthy, olderwhite men (n = 16) and women (n = 34) aged 60-75 yrs. Physical activityenergy expenditure (PAEE) was determined ... Dietary protein andantioxidant intakes were estimated from a 3-d food record and serumtotal antioxidant activity (TAA) was measured by a ferrylmyoglobin- ABTSassay.... Our results showed that PAEE, serum albumin concentrations, TAA, andthe four antioxidants intake levels were similar between groups [withand without class I sarcopenia -- ie, skeletal muscle mass 1-2 standarddeviations below gender-specific mean for a young adult] .On the other hand, our results showed that total protein intake wassignificantly higher (P < 0.01) in the non-sarcopenic group than in thesarcopenic group ... a higher total dietary protein intake is associatedwith the preservation of muscle mass loss although *both*

groupsdisplayed values *above* actual RDAs.Obviously, prospective studies are needed to determine the minimumamount of protein in the diet needed to prevent class I sarcopenia andto examine the utility of antioxidant intake to combat the age-relatedloss in skeletal muscle mass.PMID: 17653501 Also see:2)Effects of Protein, Monounsaturated Fat, and Carbohydrate Intake onBlood Pressure and Serum Lipids: Results of the OmniHeart Randomized TrialLawrence J. Appel, MD, MPH; M. Sacks, MD; J. Carey, PhD;Eva Obarzanek, PhD; Janis F. Swain, MS, RD; Edgar R. III, MD,PhD; R. Conlin, MD; P. Erlinger, MD, MPH; Bernard A. Rosner,PhD; M. Laranjo; Jeanne ton, RN; Phyllis McCarron, MS, RD;Louise M. Bishop, RD; for the OmniHeart Collaborative Research GroupJAMA. 2005 Nov 16; 294(19):2455- 64.3) Noakes M, Keogh JB, PR, Clifton

PM.Effect of an energy-restricted, high-protein, low-fat diet relative to aconventional high-carbohydrate, low-fat diet on weight loss, bodycomposition,nutritional status, and markers of cardiovascular health in obese women.I welcome any and all critique!>> As a predominate plant-eating CRON'er i am considering adding more> animal sources to boost my daily protein. (i've been reading the views> of another list member. the argument for more animal protein under> CRON seems compelling but i am not sure) May I ask what are YOUR> macronutrient ratios? Can we get a summary of what you eat and why?> > thank

you>