RemedySpot.com

Re: Curcumin - General Information

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I'm not sure I consider turmeric as an AD preventative.

Dosage?

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/turmeric/

Interferes with Cytochrome p450. If it lowers liver enzymes it would appear to be better, as in blood test results, when actually the liver uses that to detox stuff.

Am J Epidemiol. 2006 Nov 1;164(9):898-906. Epub 2006 Jul 26.

Links

Curry consumption and cognitive function in the elderly.

Ng TP, Chiam PC, Lee T, Chua HC, Lim L, Kua EH.

Department of Psychological Medicine, National University of Singapore, Republic of Singapore. pcmngtp@...

Curcumin, from the curry spice turmeric, has been shown to possess potent antioxidant and antiinflammatory properties and to reduce beta-amyloid and plaque burden in experimental studies, but epidemiologic evidence is lacking. The authors investigated the association between usual curry consumption level and cognitive function in elderly Asians. In a population-based cohort (n = 1,010) of nondemented elderly Asian subjects aged 60-93 years in 2003, the authors compared Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE) scores for three categories of regular curry consumption, taking into account known sociodemographic, health, and behavioral correlates of MMSE performance. Those who consumed curry "occasionally" and "often or very often" had significantly better MMSE scores than did subjects who "never or rarely" consumed curry. The authors reported tentative evidence of better cognitive performance from curry consumption in nondemented elderly Asians, which should be confirmed in future studies. PMID: 16870699

Regards

[ ] Curcumin - General Information

Hi folks:

The Oregon State University page on curcumin:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/phytochemicals/curcumin/

Rodney.

Guest guest

It's also beneficial vs colon cancer.

Maco

I'm not sure

I consider turmeric as an AD preventative.

Dosage?

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/turmeric/

Interferes

with Cytochrome p450. If it lowers liver enzymes it would appear to be

better, as in blood test results, when actually the liver uses that to

detox stuff.

Am J Epidemiol. 2006 Nov

1;164(9):898-906. Epub 2006 Jul 26.Links

Curry consumption and

cognitive function in the elderly.

Ng TP, Chiam PC, Lee T, Chua HC, Lim L, Kua EH.

Department of Psychological Medicine,

National University of Singapore, Republic of Singapore.

pcmngtp@...

Curcumin, from the curry spice turmeric,

has been shown to possess potent antioxidant and antiinflammatory

properties and to reduce beta-amyloid and plaque burden in

experimental studies, but epidemiologic evidence is lacking. The

authors investigated the association between usual curry consumption

level and cognitive function in elderly Asians. In a population-based

cohort (n = 1,010) of nondemented elderly Asian subjects aged 60-93

years in 2003, the authors compared Mini-Mental State Examination

(MMSE) scores for three categories of regular curry consumption,

taking into account known sociodemographic, health, and behavioral

correlates of MMSE performance. Those who consumed curry

" occasionally " and " often or very often " had

significantly better MMSE scores than did subjects who " never or

rarely " consumed curry. The authors reported tentative evidence

of better cognitive performance from curry consumption in nondemented

elderly Asians, which should be confirmed in future studies. PMID:

Regards

[ ] Curcumin - General

Information

Hi folks:

The Oregon State University page on

curcumin:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/phytochemicals/curcumin/

Rodney.

--

Maco

Information Security Operations Center Coordinator

Office of the Chief Information Officer

Los Alamos National Laboratory

505-665-5175//505-664-0131 voicemail for either number sets off

pager

505-949-4762 iSOC pager

505-664-7677 secondary pager

Guest guest

At 06:55 AM 7/14/2008, you wrote:

It's also beneficial vs colon

cancer.

For example:

Curcumin for chemoprevention of colon

cancer

a,

b,

and Hasan

Mukhtar

b

aUniversity of Wisconsin, School of Pharmacy, 777 Highland

Avenue, Madison, WI 53705-2222, USA

bUniversity of Wisconsin, School of Medicine and Public

Health, Department of Dermatology, 1300 University Avenue, Madison, WI

53706, USA

Received 13 December 2006;

revised 6 March 2007;

accepted 7 March 2007.

Available online 19 April 2007.

AbstractThe most practical approach to

reduce the morbidity and mortality of

cancer

is to delay the process of carcinogenesis through

the use of chemopreventive agents. This necessitates that safer

compounds, especially those derived from natural sources must be

critically examined for chemoprevention. A spice common to India and the

surrounding regions, is

turmeric,

derived from the rhizome of Curcuma longa.

Pre-clinical studies in a variety of

cancer

cell lines including breast, cervical,

colon,

gastric, hepatic, leukemia, oral epithelial,

ovarian, pancreatic, and prostate have consistently shown that curcumin

possesses

anti-

cancer

activity in vitro and in pre-clinical

animal models. The robust activity of curcumin in colorectal

cancer

has led to five phase I clinical trials being

completed showing the safety and tolerability of curcumin in colorectal

cancer

patients. To date clinical trials have not identified a maximum

tolerated dose of curcumin in humans with clinical trials using doses up

to 8000 mg per day. The success of these trials has led to the

development of phase II trials that are currently enrolling patients.

Overwhelming in vitro evidence and completed

clinical trials suggests that curcumin may prove to be useful for the

chemoprevention of

colon

cancer

in humans. This review will focus on describing

the pre-clinical and clinical evidence of curcumin as a chemopreventive

compound in colorectal

cancer.

Maco

Guest guest

Hi JW:

If you look at the free full text of this one, which you posted, the data seem to show that quite small amounts of turmeric seem to be enough to gain all the advantages for brain (MMSE) performance. Including those who ate curry only "occasionally".

Rodney.

>> I'm not sure I consider turmeric as an AD preventative.> Dosage?> http://nccam.nih.gov/health/turmeric/> Interferes with Cytochrome p450. If it lowers liver enzymes it would appear to be better, as in blood test results, when actually the liver uses that to detox stuff. > > > > Am J Epidemiol. 2006 Nov 1;164(9):898-906. Epub 2006 Jul 26. Links> Curry consumption and cognitive function in the elderly.> Ng TP, Chiam PC, Lee T, Chua HC, Lim L, Kua EH.> Department of Psychological Medicine, National University of Singapore, Republic of Singapore. pcmngtp@...> > Curcumin, from the curry spice turmeric, has been shown to possess potent antioxidant and antiinflammatory properties and to reduce beta-amyloid and plaque burden in experimental studies, but epidemiologic evidence is lacking. The authors investigated the association between usual curry consumption level and cognitive function in elderly Asians. In a population-based cohort (n = 1,010) of nondemented elderly Asian subjects aged 60-93 years in 2003, the authors compared Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE) scores for three categories of regular curry consumption, taking into account known sociodemographic, health, and behavioral correlates of MMSE performance. Those who consumed curry "occasionally" and "often or very often" had significantly better MMSE scores than did subjects who "never or rarely" consumed curry. The authors reported tentative evidence of better cognitive performance from curry consumption in nondemented elderly Asians, which should be confirmed in future studies. PMID: 16870699> > Regards> > > [ ] Curcumin - General Information> > > > Hi folks:> > The Oregon State University page on curcumin:> > http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/phytochemicals/curcumin/> > Rodney.>

Guest guest

Was just about to ask dosage.

Remember turmeric is not recommended for patients taking REAL chemo, because it interferes with the ROS, the very thing that kills cancer.

So that whole logic is confused to me.

Another illogic is although Indians may consume a lot of curcumin I doubt they ingest 8000 mg. Average age is not that high there:

http://www.who.int/countries/ind/en/

"Life expectancy at birth m/f (years): 62/64

Healthy life expectancy at birth m/f (years, 2003): 53/54

Probability of dying between 15 and 60 years m/f (per 1 000 population): 276/203"

And I doubt I'll try that much as a preventative due to gastric effects.

I do eat mustard on meats, and I use turmeric as a spice in place of salt, black pepper.

Finally, colon cancer is under control by inspection just as breast cancer, so the need for that specific preventative is perhaps moot. It won't relieve the need for my scheduled colonoscopies.

For we who think we will live long enough to get dementia - another thing.

Right now, I'm thinking extra Thiamine, 5-HTP perhaps, but I don't think my gut will take more than 300 - 500 mg turmeric.

Regards

Re: [ ] Curcumin - General Information

At 06:55 AM 7/14/2008, you wrote:

It's also beneficial vs colon cancer.For example:Curcumin for chemoprevention of colon cancer a, b, , and Hasan Mukhtar baUniversity of Wisconsin, School of Pharmacy, 777 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53705-2222, USAbUniversity of Wisconsin, School of Medicine and Public Health, Department of Dermatology, 1300 University Avenue, Madison, WI 53706, USAReceived 13 December 2006; revised 6 March 2007; accepted 7 March 2007. Available online 19 April 2007.

AbstractThe most practical approach to reduce the morbidity and mortality of cancer is to delay the process of carcinogenesis through the use of chemopreventive agents. This necessitates that safer compounds, especially those derived from natural sources must be critically examined for chemoprevention. A spice common to India and the surrounding regions, is turmeric, derived from the rhizome of Curcuma longa. Pre-clinical studies in a variety of cancer cell lines including breast, cervical, colon, gastric, hepatic, leukemia, oral epithelial, ovarian, pancreatic, and prostate have consistently shown that curcumin possesses anti- cancer activity in vitro and in pre-clinical animal models. The robust activity of curcumin in colorectal cancer has led to five phase I clinical trials being completed showing the safety and tolerability of curcumin in colorectal cancer patients. To date clinical trials have not identified a maximum tolerated dose of curcumin in humans with clinical trials using doses up to 8000 mg per day. The success of these trials has led to the development of phase II trials that are currently enrolling patients. Overwhelming in vitro evidence and completed clinical trials suggests that curcumin may prove to be useful for the chemoprevention of colon cancer in humans. This review will focus on describing the pre-clinical and clinical evidence of curcumin as a chemopreventive compound in colorectal cancer. Maco

Guest guest

Hi JW:

In Table 3 of that paper you posted:

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/164/9/898/TBL3

almost always, those who ate curry "occasionally" had as good, better, or nearly as good an MMSE performance as those who consumed it "often". And both these groups consistently scored better than those who "never" ate curry.

I take this to mean you do not need a lot if it for brain-related benefit.

Rodney.

> >> > I'm not sure I consider turmeric as an AD preventative.> > Dosage?> > http://nccam.nih.gov/health/turmeric/> > Interferes with Cytochrome p450. If it lowers liver enzymes it would appear to be better, as in blood test results, when actually the liver uses that to detox stuff. > > > > > > > > Am J Epidemiol. 2006 Nov 1;164(9):898-906. Epub 2006 Jul 26. Links> > Curry consumption and cognitive function in the elderly.> > Ng TP, Chiam PC, Lee T, Chua HC, Lim L, Kua EH.> > Department of Psychological Medicine, National University of Singapore, Republic of Singapore. pcmngtp@> > > > Curcumin, from the curry spice turmeric, has been shown to possess potent antioxidant and antiinflammatory properties and to reduce beta-amyloid and plaque burden in experimental studies, but epidemiologic evidence is lacking. The authors investigated the association between usual curry consumption level and cognitive function in elderly Asians. In a population-based cohort (n = 1,010) of nondemented elderly Asian subjects aged 60-93 years in 2003, the authors compared Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE) scores for three categories of regular curry consumption, taking into account known sociodemographic, health, and behavioral correlates of MMSE performance. Those who consumed curry "occasionally" and "often or very often" had significantly better MMSE scores than did subjects who "never or rarely" consumed curry. The authors reported tentative evidence of better cognitive performance from curry consumption in nondemented elderly Asians, which should be confirmed in future studies. PMID: 16870699> > > > Regards> > > > > > [ ] Curcumin - General Information> > > > > > > > Hi folks:> > > > The Oregon State University page on curcumin:> > > > http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/phytochemicals/curcumin/> > > > Rodney.> >>

Guest guest

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/164/9/898

"Recent data (13) indicate that, in healthy human subjects, the daily intake of 200 mg of curcumin and other extracts lowers total blood lipid peroxides, ..."

" Another study (14) using an Alzheimer transgenic mouse model has shown that both low (160 ppm) and high (5,000 ppm) doses of dietary curcumin significantly lowered oxidized proteins and interleukin-1a,..."

"Thus far, no epidemiologic evidence exists to support a link between dietary curry consumption and lowered dementia risk or cognitive enhancement in the elderly. We present here tentative evidence that increased consumption of curry is associated with better cognitive performance in nondemented subjects."

{So what would the preventative dose be, realizing 60% bioavailability?

Needs a better guide I think, like is it 200 mg Curcumin (3 grams root), bid? }

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-turmeric.html

"Adults (over 18 years old)

Doses used range from 450 milligrams of curcumin capsules to 3 grams of turmeric root daily, divided into several doses, taken by mouth. As a tea, 1 to 1.5 grams of dried root may be steeped in 150 milliliters of water for 15 minutes and taken twice daily. Average dietary intake of turmeric in the Indian population may range between 2 to 2.5 grams, corresponding to 60 to 200 milligrams of curcumin daily. "

I get the feeling confusion in terms. Is it 450 mg curcumin to 200 mg curcumin by root?

Regards

[ ] Curcumin - General Information> > > > Hi folks:> > The Oregon State University page on curcumin:> > http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/phytochemicals/curcumin/> > Rodney.>

Guest guest

http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecfa/jecmono/v17je30.htm

Curcumin at 0.1% in the diet lowered the serum and liver

cholesterol levels of rats fed cholesterol at 1% in their diet for 7

weeks. The authors concluded that curcumin is

probably undergoing transformation even as it is being absorbed from

the gut (Ravindrath & Chandrasekhara, 1980). Level causing no toxicological effect

Rat: 0.5% (= 5000 ppm) in the diet equivalent to 250 mg/kg bw.

Estimate of temporary acceptable daily intake for man

0-2.5 mg/kg bw.

Curcumin (considered to be present in turmeric at 3%)

Estimate of temporary acceptable daily intake for man

0-0.1 mg/kg bw. Maybe 250 mg, Regards

Re: [ ] Curcumin - General Information

Was just about to ask dosage.

Remember turmeric is not recommended for patients taking REAL chemo, because it interferes with the ROS, the very thing that kills cancer.

So that whole logic is confused to me.

Another illogic is although Indians may consume a lot of curcumin I doubt they ingest 8000 mg. Average age is not that high there:

http://www.who.int/countries/ind/en/

"Life expectancy at birth m/f (years): 62/64

Healthy life expectancy at birth m/f (years, 2003): 53/54

Probability of dying between 15 and 60 years m/f (per 1 000 population): 276/203"

And I doubt I'll try that much as a preventative due to gastric effects.

I do eat mustard on meats, and I use turmeric as a spice in place of salt, black pepper.

Finally, colon cancer is under control by inspection just as breast cancer, so the need for that specific preventative is perhaps moot. It won't relieve the need for my scheduled colonoscopies.

For we who think we will live long enough to get dementia - another thing.

Right now, I'm thinking extra Thiamine, 5-HTP perhaps, but I don't think my gut will take more than 300 - 500 mg turmeric.

Regards