RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Sucralose stability

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I did some research into this a while ago when I was having some storage stability problems.While the answers vary with who is talking... the sellers claim it's like real sugar but better and completely inert. Detractors say its active in the body..  I suspect the reality is somewhere in between, but mostly benign during the short visit by very tiny amounts through our digestive system.What I didn't see debated is that sucralose can be degraded by microbes in ground water over time. My personal experience is perhaps related to my method of handling. Since I buy raw sucralose, I would dilute it in a water solution for convenience in measuring for recipes and general use.All was well for the first few years I used it this way, but maybe two years ago I started to experience the sucralose solution becoming cloudy with precipitate. My fist suspicion was a super saturation of the sucralose and that it was just excess sucralose falling out of solution, but the mix also lost sweetness and took on a decidedly organic or biologic (sulfur?) smell.I assumed I had contaminated my first batch with sloppy handling but this problem persisted. I was already using RO filtered water, but I added a UV filter to my RO water, boiled that, and still experienced deterioration over time.I have no other explanation than that something biologic in my environment is eating my sucralose when stored in a room temperature water solution. I have seen this in multiple shipments and have been buying from one source since day one. That source swears he is getting the same product from his source, so contamination there is not an obvious suspicion.This is probably not a personal health issue, due to tiny amounts consumed and short transit time in our body. Being biodegradable in waste water is probably better than outliving the cockroaches. FWIW I didn't find much study of this particular aspect when I searched this some time ago (1 link). I am pretty good about sanitation, since I also brew beer since water quality and stray biologics can corrupt fermentations ( think a several gallon large petri dish full of a warm malt solution). I probably have a higher than average amount of wild yeast in my house air, so that is one potential vector for microbial attack..I am able to manage now by boiling water, mixing smaller batches that will be consumed in a week or two,  and storing solution in the refrigerator which slows down any biological process.Sucralose is stable as typically used but it is not completely inert under all conditions. If microbes can attack it in my kitchen they can attack it in my gut, but there may be worse chemistry going on down there than that.   JROn Mar 5, 2008, at 6:06 PM, Rodney wrote:Hi Dave:LOLI wondered if someone might bring that up.I assume the chlorine atoms in sucralose do not dissociate in solution from the sugar molecule they are attached to. Perhaps they do not even get absorbed in the intestine? That is an interesting question. Does anyone know if they are absorbed?But I am not familiar at all with the chemical behaviour of sucralose. It is nearly fifty years since I was (to a fair degree) involved in chemistry.Rodney.--- In  , "orb85750" <orb85750@...> wrote:>> Rodney:> 

Guest guest

Outside of the "hype" by the anti-sucralose camp and its competitors, I know of no real evidence that it can be broken down in the body. If it exists, I would love to see the actual published experiments showing that it is broken down as I do not know of them. In the meantime, here is some examples of research showing it doesn'tRegardsJeff J Agric Food Chem. 2007 Sep 5;55(18):7217-23. Epub 2007 Aug 8.Click here to read Links Analysis and stability of sucralose in a milk-based confection by a simple planar chromatographic method. Morlock GE, Prabha S. Institute of Food Chemistry, University of Hohenheim, Garbenstrasse 28, D-70599 Stuttgart, Germany. gmorlock@... Sucralose used as high potency sweetener in foods was determined in burfi, a milk-based confection produced in-house. Therefore planar chromatography was employed as a preferred method because of a reagent-free derivatization step. Sucralose was determined on HPTLC amino plates whose amino groups reacted with sucralose to fluorescent zones by just heating the plate after chromatography. Thus derivatization was simultaneously performed for 22 separations per plate, and with ease, over 300 runs can be performed within a day of labor. The within-run precision (%RSD) of sucralose determination in milk-based confection was 4.2% (n = 5), and the mean recovery 88% +/- 4.7% (n = 6). LOD via fluorescence measurement was 6 ng/band for standard solutions and 1 mg/kg for the milk-based matrix. According to European legislation, the limits for sucralose addition ranged between 10 and 3000 mg/kg for various foods and thus were fully met with this method. The fluorescence measurement at 366/>400 nm turned out to be slightly more robust and intense than the absorbance measurement at UV 254 nm. The stability of sucralose in milk-based confection was proved under the usual storage conditions at 5, 30, and 45 degrees C for up to 28 days. Potential hydrolysis products of sucralose caused by various modes of storing the confection were not observed up to 28 days. PMID: 17685546J Am Diet Assoc. 2003 Dec;103(12):1607-12.Click here to read Links Lack of effect of sucralose on glucose homeostasis in subjects with type 2 diabetes. Grotz VL, Henry RR, McGill JB, Prince MJ, Shamoon H, Trout JR, Pi-Sunyer FX. Medical and Nutritional Affairs, McNeil Nutritionals, New Bruswick, NJ 08903-2400, USA. lgrotz@... OBJECTIVE: To investigate the effect of 3-months' daily administration of high doses of sucralose, a non-nutritive sweetener, on glycemic control in subjects with type 2 diabetes. DESIGN: A multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized study, consisting of a 6-week screening phase, a 13-week test phase, and a 4-week follow-up phase. SUBJECTS/SETTING: Subjects with type 2 diabetes (age range 31 to 70 years) entered the test phase of this study; 128 subjects completed the study. The subjects were recruited from 5 medical centers across the United States and were, on average, obese. INTERVENTION: Subjects were randomly assigned to receive either placebo (cellulose) capsules (n=69) or 667 mg encapsulated sucralose (n=67) daily for the 13-week test phase. All subjects blindly received placebo capsules during the last 4 weeks of the screening phase and for the entire 4-week follow-up phase. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c), fasting plasma glucose, and fasting serum C-peptide were measured approximately every 2 weeks to evaluate blood glucose homeostasis. Data were analyzed by analysis of variance using repeated measures. RESULTS: There were no significant differences between the sucralose and placebo groups in HbA1c, fasting plasma glucose, or fasting serum C-peptide changes from baseline. There were no clinically meaningful differences between the groups in any safety measure. CONCLUSIONS: This study demonstrated that, similar to cellulose, sucralose consumption for 3 months at doses of 7.5 mg/kg/day, which is approximately three times the estimated maximum intake, had no effect on glucose homeostasis in individuals with type 2 diabetes. Additionally, this study showed that sucralose was as well-tolerated by the study subjects as was the placebo. PMID: 14647086 Food Chem Toxicol. 2000;38 Suppl 2:S123-9.Click here to read Links Repeated dose study of sucralose tolerance in human subjects. Baird IM, Shephard NW, Merritt RJ, Hildick- G. Pine Court, Fairbourne, Cobham, Surrey KT11 2BT, UK. Two tolerance studies were conducted in healthy human adult volunteers. The first study was an ascending dose study conducted in eight subjects, in which sucralose was administered at doses of 1, 2. 5, 5 and 10mg/kg at 48-hour intervals and followed by daily dosing at 2mg/kg for 3 days and 5mg/kg for 4 days. In the second study, subjects consumed either sucralose (n=77) or fructose (50g/day) (n=31) twice daily in single blind fashion. Sucralose dosage levels were 125mg/day for weeks 1-3, 250mg/day during weeks 4-7, and 500mg/day during weeks 8-12. No adverse experiences or clinically detectable effects were attributable to sucralose in either study. Similarly, haematology, serum biochemistry, urinalysis and EKG tracings were unaffected by sucralose administration. In the 13-week study, serial slit lamp ophthalmologic examination performed in a random subset of the study groups revealed no changes. Fasting and 2-hour post-dosing blood sucralose concentrations obtained daily during week 12 of the study revealed no rising trend for blood sucralose. Sucralose was well tolerated by human volunteers in single doses up to 10mg/kg/day and repeated doses increasing to 5mg/kg/day for 13 weeks. Based on these studies and the extensive animal safety database, there is no indication that adverse effects on human health would occur from frequent or long-term exposure to sucralose at the maximum anticipated levels of intake. PMID: 10882825Food Chem Toxicol. 2000;38 Suppl 2:S31-41.Click here to read Links Sucralose metabolism and pharmacokinetics in man. A, Renwick AG, Sims J, Snodin DJ. University of Southampton, Bassett Crescent East, Southampton SO9 3TU, UK. The metabolic and pharmacokinetic profile of sucralose was studied in human volunteers. Following a single oral dose of (14)C-sucralose (1mg/kg, 100 microCi) to eight male subjects, a mean of 14.5% (range 8.9 to 21.8%) of the radioactivity was excreted in urine and 78.3% (range 69.4 to 89.6%) in the faeces, within 5 days. The total recovery of radioactivity averaged 92.8%. Plasma concentrations of radioactivity were maximal at about 2 hours after dosing. The mean residence time (MRT) for sucralose was 18.8hr, while the effective half-life for the decline of plasma radioactivity was 13hr. Two volunteers given a higher oral dose (10mg/kg, 22.7 microCi) excreted a mean of 11.2% (9.6 and 12.7%) of the radioactivity in urine, and 85.5% (84.1 and 86.8%) in faeces over 5 days. The total recovery of radioactivity was 96.7%. The radiolabelled material present in faeces was essentially unchanged sucralose. Sucralose was the principal component in the urine together with two more polar components which accounted for only 2.6% of the administered dose (range 1.5 to 5.1% of dose); both metabolites possessed characteristics of glucuronide conjugates of sucralose. PMID: 10882816Diabetes Care. 1996 Sep;19(9):1004-5.Links Glycemic effect of a single high oral dose of the novel sweetener sucralose in patients with diabetes. Mezitis NH, Maggio CA, Koch P, Quddoos A, DB, Pi-Sunyer FX. Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY 10025, USA. nhm2@... OBJECTIVE: To examine the effect of a single high oral dose of the novel noncaloric sweetener sucralose on short-term glucose homeostasis in patients with IDDM or NIDDM. RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS: A total of 13 IDDM and 13 NIDDM patients with glycosylated hemoglobin levels < 10% completed this double-blind cross-over study. After an overnight fast, patients were administered opaque capsules containing either 1,000 mg sucralose or cellulose placebo, followed by a standardized 360-kcal liquid breakfast. Plasma glucose and serum C-peptide levels were measured over the next 4 h. RESULTS: Regardless of the type of diabetes, areas under the curves for changes of plasma glucose and serum C-peptide levels after sucralose administration were not significantly different from those after placebo. During test meals with sucralose, one episode of symptomatic hypoglycemia occurred in each of three IDDM patients, but these episodes were not considered the result of sucralose administration. CONCLUSIONS: The present results support the conclusion that sucralose consumption does not adversely affect short-term blood glucose control in patients with diabetes. PMID: 8875098

Guest guest

One can now buy sucralose already mixed. In the early days that wasn’t the case. However as with most products, the “need” produced sources. We have such sources listed in the files.

I have never had such problems with the liquid sucralose.

Reply-< >

Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 19:05:56 -0600

< >

Subject: Re: [ ] Re: Sucralose stability

I did some research into this a while ago when I was having some storage stability problems.