RemedySpot.com

Vitamin D Dosages

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi folks:

I don't remember this one being posted. It seems to suggest under 40,000 IU per day is safe. But I am not gonna try it!

"Vitamin D supplementation, 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations, and safety.Vieth R.Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Mount Sinai Hospital, Ontario, Canada. rvieth@...For adults, the 5-microg (200 IU) vitamin D recommended dietary allowance may prevent osteomalacia in the absence of sunlight, but more is needed to help prevent osteoporosis and secondary hyperparathyroidism. Other benefits of vitamin D supplementation are implicated epidemiologically: prevention of some cancers, osteoarthritis progression, multiple sclerosis, and hypertension. Total-body sun exposure easily provides the equivalent of 250 microg (10000 IU) vitamin D/d, suggesting that this is a physiologic limit. Sailors in US submarines are deprived of environmentally acquired vitamin D equivalent to 20-50 microg (800-2000 IU)/d. The assembled data from many vitamin D supplementation studies reveal a curve for vitamin D dose versus serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] response that is surprisingly flat up to 250 microg (10000 IU) vitamin D/d. To ensure that serum 25(OH)D concentrations exceed 100 nmol/L, a total vitamin D supply of 100 microg (4000 IU)/d is required. Except in those with conditions causing hypersensitivity, there is no evidence of adverse effects with serum 25(OH)D concentrations <140 nmol/L, which require a total vitamin D supply of 250 microg (10000 IU)/d to attain. Published cases of vitamin D toxicity with hypercalcemia, for which the 25(OH)D concentration and vitamin D dose are known, all involve intake of > or = 1000 microg (40000 IU)/d. Because vitamin D is potentially toxic, intake of >25 microg (1000 IU)/d has been avoided even though the weight of evidence shows that the currently accepted, no observed adverse effect limit of 50 microg (2000 IU)/d is too low by at least 5-fold."PMID: 10232622

Rodney.

Guest guest

I don't know what to do with any of this information.

Most of the people talking it can't spell Vitamin D -

I think my supps are D3 = 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol.

Regards

[ ] Vitamin D Dosages

Hi folks:

I don't remember this one being posted. It seems to suggest under 40,000 IU per day is safe. But I am not gonna try it!

"Vitamin D supplementation, 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations, and safety.Vieth R.Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Mount Sinai Hospital, Ontario, Canada. rviethmtsinai (DOT) on.caFor adults, the 5-microg (200 IU) vitamin D recommended dietary allowance may prevent osteomalacia in the absence of sunlight, but more is needed to help prevent osteoporosis and secondary hyperparathyroidism. Other benefits of vitamin D supplementation are implicated epidemiologically: prevention of some cancers, osteoarthritis progression, multiple sclerosis, and hypertension. Total-body sun exposure easily provides the equivalent of 250 microg (10000 IU) vitamin D/d, suggesting that this is a physiologic limit. Sailors in US submarines are deprived of environmentally acquired vitamin D equivalent to 20-50 microg (800-2000 IU)/d. The assembled data from many vitamin D supplementation studies reveal a curve for vitamin D dose versus serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] response that is surprisingly flat up to 250 microg (10000 IU) vitamin D/d. To ensure that serum 25(OH)D concentrations exceed 100 nmol/L, a total vitamin D supply of 100 microg (4000 IU)/d is required. Except in those with conditions causing hypersensitivity, there is no evidence of adverse effects with serum 25(OH)D concentrations <140 nmol/L, which require a total vitamin D supply of 250 microg (10000 IU)/d to attain. Published cases of vitamin D toxicity with hypercalcemia, for which the 25(OH)D concentration and vitamin D dose are known, all involve intake of > or = 1000 microg (40000 IU)/d. Because vitamin D is potentially toxic, intake of >25 microg (1000 IU)/d has been avoided even though the weight of evidence shows that the currently accepted, no observed adverse effect limit of 50 microg (2000 IU)/d is too low by at least 5-fold."PMID: 10232622

Rodney.

Guest guest

Let me clarify.

I think they are D3, but the milk indicates from fish, and cod liver oil, I

think should be 25-dihydroxycholecalciferol.

Regards

Re: [ ] Vitamin D Dosages

I don't know what to do with any of this information.

Most of the people talking it can't spell Vitamin D -

I think my supps are D3 = 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol.

Regards

• 1 year later...

Someone said earlier on the thread that we all respond in different ways.

That is so true. When I started on it, I had no hair except for eye brows,

no finger nails and 90 % of my skin was going through something horrible.

Now if I tell people about that, some do not even believe me.

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of natellite

Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:52 PM

Subject: vitamin D dosages

I also don't do well on dosages higher than 1000iu. Higher doses may have

caused hair loss but I can't pinpoint it for sure. I've increased slowly 4

yrs ago up to 4000iu's and I know it's not right for me, it seems to over

activate my immune system. I'm staying at 1000iu's/day and although my

levels are not up to normal I feel better off.

Nat

> I don't do well with higher amounts of Vit D, 3x normal hair loss

> (I take this as a bad sign). And because D is a fat soluable

> vitamin then takes 3-5 weeks to resolve when I've taken

> too much D in the past. 800-1000 iu is

> optimal for me. Some people do better with more. But to keep

> pushing the high amts because many MDs are on a Vit D bandwagon,

> after having poo poo'd vitamin-minerals before, I take all that

> with a boulder of salt. We are all individual in our needs

> and how we respond to substances in various amounts,

> and these studies designed to be impressive don't appear to take

> that into account.

>

> Carol W.

Hi - Vitamin D may reduce female hormones:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19916051

This might be bad or good, depending on your present levels. I.e. from what

I've read on the internet, too much progesterone can cause hair loss, while too

little progesterone & estradiol can cause hair loss. - Mark

--- In , " Tracey de Morsella " Higher doses may

have

> caused hair loss but I can't pinpoint it for sure. I've increased slowly 4

> yrs ago up to 4000iu's and I know it's not right for me, it seems to over

> activate my immune system. I'm staying at 1000iu's/day and although my

> levels are not up to normal I feel better off.

>

> Nat