RemedySpot.com

Re: Sun Exposure and Prostate Issues

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi folks:

And this as well:

Especially the: " ......... but greater supplementary calcium intake was not associated with the risk." ........

"Greater intake of dairy products, particularly low-fat dairy products, was weakly associated with increased risk of prostate cancer [relative risk (RR), 1.12; 95% confidence intervals (CI), 0.97-1.30; P trend = 0.06 for >2.75 versus < or = 0.98 servings of total dairy/day; 1.23 (1.07-1.41) for low-fat dairy]. Greater dietary calcium intake was associated with increased risk of prostate cancer (RR, 1.34; 95% CI, 0.93-1.94; P trend = 0.02 for >2,000 versus <1,000 mg/day), but greater supplementary calcium intake was not associated with the risk".

From PMID: 18086766

As usual, just one study though.

Rodney.

>> > Hi folks:> > This looks pretty interesting:> > http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CTG/is_3_17/ai_90301872> <http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CTG/is_3_17/ai_90301872>> > Particularly the following, some of which we already realize:> > "Prostate cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in the United> States (Boring, Squires, Tong, & Montgomery, 1994)"> > "Mortality rates vary greatly between countries. For example, rates in> Japan are one fifteenth those in America, although rates among Japanese> immigrants quadruple after migration to the United States (Haenszel & > Kurihara, 1968) ........ with rates between countries varying> 10-fold (Zaridze, Boyle, & Smans, 1984). However, autopsy studies have> found that the prevalence of latent prostate cancer does not vary> greatly between countries (Yatani, et al., 1982), suggesting that the> variation in mortality may be caused by factors affecting tumor growth> (Dhom, et al. 1983). "> > "Frequent sun exposure among African American men was associated with a> 40% reduction in the odds of abnormal PSA (OR = 0.59; 95% CI => 0.20-1.69). In contrast, among Caucasian men, a 68% reduction was> observed."> > Could it be that it is supplemental vitamin D that explains the results> Al posted?> > Rodney.>

Guest guest

Something you might be interested in is what the kidney does with Vit D.

I believe the cases of D deficiency might be dysfunction in the kidney. Per Robbins, Basic Pathology, pg 251, the kidney "elaborates" 25-hydroxycholecalciferol (from liver) to 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol using PTH.

My recent metabolic panel has shown me that the interpretation of a GFR "failure" or "mild decline" (these are calculated not measured) can only be verified by a GFR test.

I would imagine anyone with a D deficiency should check that first. In fact I conclude anyone over 70 yo, because the calculation is not for people over 70 yo. Of course, if you have an internist that can interpret correctly the metabolic data they probably won't order a GFR test.

The conversion of sun D versus supplemental D3 could be the difference in the latitude idea. And Blacks are more subject to kidney failure and PCa. Kidney function might be the big confounder.

So what I'm saying is the measurement of serum D might be a good clue to kidney function included with the metabolic panel.

Regards

[ ] Re: Sun Exposure and Prostate Issues

Hi folks:

And this as well:

Especially the: " ......... but greater supplementary calcium intake was not associated with the risk." ........

"Greater intake of dairy products, particularly low-fat dairy products, was weakly associated with increased risk of prostate cancer [relative risk (RR), 1.12; 95% confidence intervals (CI), 0.97-1.30; P trend = 0.06 for >2.75 versus < or = 0.98 servings of total dairy/day; 1.23 (1.07-1.41) for low-fat dairy]. Greater dietary calcium intake was associated with increased risk of prostate cancer (RR, 1.34; 95% CI, 0.93-1.94; P trend = 0.02 for >2,000 versus <1,000 mg/day), but greater supplementary calcium intake was not associated with the risk".

From PMID: 18086766

As usual, just one study though.

Rodney.