RemedySpot.com

Re: Turmeric Curcumin Content

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I wonder if any data is available on curcumin availability from turmeric root pickled in brine.  Readily available in South Asian grocers, inexpensive, drawback is frequent use of Sodium Benzoate as preservative. Regards,  Cook On Jul 14, 2008, at 3:57 PM, Rodney wrote:Hi JW:JFI:"Curcumin content and heat effect on curcumin in turmeric samples. V. SHANKARAIAH1, L. N. 2, and I. U. Gruen2. (1) Post Harvest Technology of Horticultural Crops, College of Agriculture, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad, 500030, India, (2) Department of Food Science, University of Missouri, 256 Eckles Hall - Stringer Wing, Columbia, MO 65211Turmeric is used as traditional medicine in many countries because of the antibiotic and antiseptic effects of curcumin, an important constituent of turmeric. Turmeric is also used as the primary substance in curry flavor and for food coloring in many countries, particularly in India. The curcumin content of turmeric varies from variety to variety and the price of turmeric is based on the intensity of its color.The main objective of this study was to determine the curcumin content of six different turmeric varieties and to measure its resistance to heat and light.Of the six turmeric varieties used, five were directly imported from India, while the sixth was purchased from a local grocery store.   ......................Heat effects were studied by incubating extracted samples in a 100°C water bath for 1 min and by exposing extracted samples to fluorescent light at room temperature for 24 hours.   ..................  .Average curcumin concentrations ranged from 186 to 254 µg/g with the locally purchased sample having the lowest curcumin content. Heat and light exposure did not change the curcumin content of the extracts.  .......Session 44D, International 8:30 AM - 12:00 PM, 2001-06-25 Room Hall D2001 IFT Annual Meeting - New Orleans, Louisiana"Rodney.>> http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecfa/jecmono/v17je30.htm> Curcumin at 0.1% in the diet lowered the serum and liver> cholesterol levels of rats fed cholesterol at 1% in their diet for 7> weeks. The authors concluded that curcumin is> probably undergoing transformation even as it is being absorbed from> the gut (Ravindrath & Chandrasekhara, 1980). Level causing no toxicological effect> Rat: 0.5% (= 5000 ppm) in the diet equivalent to 250 mg/kg bw.> > Estimate of temporary acceptable daily intake for man> 0-2.5 mg/kg bw.> > Curcumin (considered to be present in turmeric at 3%)> > Estimate of temporary acceptable daily intake for man> 0-0.1 mg/kg bw.Maybe 250 mg,Regards Re: [ ] Curcumin - General Information> > > > Was just about to ask dosage. > Remember turmeric is not recommended for patients taking REAL chemo, because it interferes with the ROS, the very thing that kills cancer.> So that whole logic is confused to me.> > Another illogic is although Indians may consume a lot of curcumin I doubt they ingest 8000 mg. Average age is not that high there:> http://www.who.int/countries/ind/en/> > "Life expectancy at birth m/f (years): 62/64> > > Healthy life expectancy at birth m/f (years, 2003): 53/54> > > Probability of dying between 15 and 60 years m/f (per 1 000 population): 276/203"> > And I doubt I'll try that much as a preventative due to gastric effects.> > I do eat mustard on meats, and I use turmeric as a spice in place of salt, black pepper. > > Finally, colon cancer is under control by inspection just as breast cancer, so the need for that specific preventative is perhaps moot. It won't relieve the need for my scheduled colonoscopies.> > For we who think we will live long enough to get dementia - another thing.> Right now, I'm thinking extra Thiamine, 5-HTP perhaps, but I don't think my gut will take more than 300 - 500 mg turmeric.> > Regards> > .>