RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: For every 10-g/d increase in saturated fat intake, IMT was 0.03 mm higher...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Only 10x... ?I find the acceptable level of (unnatural) trans-fats in my diet is zero. I hope my years of consuming transfats in ignorance is somewhat reversible. JROn Jan 17, 2008, at 8:46 AM, Rodney wrote:Hi folks:So it looks like trans fats are ten times worse than saturated fats?Rodney.

While I can't say I follow the chemistry involved, my understanding goes along the lines of  trans-fats being similar but not exactly the same as some other regular fats used by the body structurally in cell walls and such. The trans-fats are not the right brick for that wall and the cell wall made using them is inferior. The body has many redundant systems and is pretty tolerant of a leaky cell wall here and there, but at some point you can't build a decent house with all lousy walls.    Sorry if this is dietary folklore, I know that trans-fats do occur in nature, but they are not common. It makes sense that we can tolerate small amounts, but I choose zero intake.I'm reluctant to zero out saturated fats because the way things go, we''l find out that butter is a miracle cure in another 20 years. and lots of nutrition comes attached to saturated fat, so moderation in those cases...:-)   So yes to "low" saturated fats, and yes to "zero" (artificial) trans-fats, and not the almost zero based on serving size math, real zero. If I encounter some natural transfats so be it,...Your 10x worse is perhaps true for that one aspect. It might actually be worse if we knew what to measure .I don't think we'll wake up one day to learn Crisco was healthy, if we do, I'm golden because mom used it by the bucket.JROn Jan 17, 2008, at 7:53 PM, Rodney wrote:Hi JR:Just to make clear the point of my post.  I have wondered for some time how much more dangerous trans fats are compared with 'regular' saturated fats, which most of us avoid as we would the plague.With that in mind I was reading the quoted section from the journal article which said:"Results: For every 10-g/d increase in saturated fat intake, IMT was 0.03 mm higher ......  A 1-g/d higher intake of trans fat was associated with a 0.03-mm higher IMT....... "So I concluded that if 1g per day of trans fats clogs the carotid artery to the same extent as 10g per day of saturated fats, then trans fats are, by this criterion, ten times more dangerous.Like you, I endeavor to eat minimal amounts of either of them.  Indeed, in my case most other kinds of fats also, the major exceptions being those from nuts and fish.Rodney.> > Hi folks:> > So it looks like trans fats are ten times worse than saturated fats?> >> > Rodney.