RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Yoga Can Give You Strength, Balance, Flexibility. Isn't That Enough?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

As I’ve posted before I use a wonderful yoga tape I use at my convenience .

The “class” is given by yoga master Shiffman and is called “Yoga, mind & body” with Ali McGraw. For $10 bucks or so, one can buy this tape online.

Reply-< >

Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 08:35:03 -0800

< >

Subject: Re: [ ] Re: Yoga Can Give You Strength, Balance, Flexibility. Isn't That Enough?

I love yoga and find that it has been essential for my goals of flexibility, focus and balance.

I do Power Yoga and Anusara Yoga, which is a nice mix of cardio, deep stretching, and balance. There is also the wonderful health benefits of learning how to breath deeply and mediate. Go from one yoga class to another, try some private lessons, buy a DVD, some good books, subscribe to Yoga Journal, and read Steve Ross's book on yoga.

By the way, I am over 70, am in excellent health (no medications, normal BP and lab tests), restrict my calories by eating anything that is good, but in small amounts, am dating a 45 year old man and work part-time in a profession I love. That is what yoga is all about.

MJM

On Nov 5, 2008, at 7:42 AM, kaitainen wrote:

>

>

> By Schneider

> Tuesday, November 4, 2008; Washington Post, Page HE03

>

> Yoga may have a soft and peaceful reputation, but the theme at

Willow Street

> Yoga on a recent Monday evening was fear. A large theme, to be

[snip]

Thank you for that article! I have always believed that yoga would be

an excellent counterpart to my endurance training, specifically to

help loosen up my hips and hamstrings, but had never gotten past a few

classes on a sporadic basis.

Then I was dragged to a Bikram's Yoga class, and for the last 7 weeks,

I've been hooked. Its hard, its hot, its NOT cheap, but like any good

lifestyle habit, it does make me feel good and is just a bit addictive.

Bikram's is a modified and " franchised " version of Hatha created by

one man. Because of that, he sets the rules of how each studio is

allowed to operate, and like a good franchise, deviation from the

rules is not allowed. I like that - consistency is key from

instructor to instructor and studio to studio. But, you might like

more freeform teachers who change up every class - in that case,

Bikram ain't for you. :-) http://www.bikramyoga.com

Enjoy and be flexible!

, in Albuquerque

I love yoga and find that it has been essential for my goals of flexibility, focus and balance. I do Power Yoga and Anusara Yoga, which is a nice mix of cardio, deep stretching, and balance. There is also the wonderful health benefits of learning how to breath deeply and mediate. Go from one yoga class to another, try some private lessons, buy a DVD, some good books, subscribe to Yoga Journal, and read Steve Ross's book on yoga. By the way, I am over 70, am in excellent health (no medications, normal BP and lab tests), restrict my calories by eating anything that is good, but in small amounts, am dating a 45 year old man and work part-time in a profession I love. That is what yoga is all about.MJMOn Nov 5, 2008, at 7:42 AM, kaitainen wrote:>> > By Schneider> Tuesday, November 4, 2008; Washington Post, Page HE03> > Yoga may have a soft and peaceful reputation, but the theme atWillow Street> Yoga on a recent Monday evening was fear. A large theme, to be [snip]Thank you for that article! I have always believed that yoga would bean excellent counterpart to my endurance training, specifically tohelp loosen up my hips and hamstrings, but had never gotten past a fewclasses on a sporadic basis.Then I was dragged to a Bikram's Yoga class, and for the last 7 weeks,I've been hooked. Its hard, its hot, its NOT cheap, but like any goodlifestyle habit, it does make me feel good and is just a bit addictive.Bikram's is a modified and "franchised" version of Hatha created byone man. Because of that, he sets the rules of how each studio isallowed to operate, and like a good franchise, deviation from therules is not allowed. I like that - consistency is key frominstructor to instructor and studio to studio. But, you might likemore freeform teachers who change up every class - in that case,Bikram ain't for you. :-) http://www.bikramyoga.comEnjoy and be flexible!, in Albuquerque