RemedySpot.com

Re: Sinclair distances himself from resveratrol supplement endorsement

Rate this topic

Guest guest

: have you already been (hic) dipping into that merlot? The name of the component in red wine is resveratrol, not reversitol (I have been known to misspell it myself).

Note: for others who want to respond to , I have corrected the spelling in the subject heading since it must be spelled correctly to archive posts on the topic.

I enjoy the actual wine myself and have noted more than once on this board that we have at least one study (see the files) of men who drank as much as 3-4 glasses of wine a day outliving non-drinkers or more moderate drinkers. And for all we know it’s some other component in the wine.

Reply-< >

Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 12:35:19 -0600

< >

Subject: [ ] Sinclair distances himself from reversitol supplement endorsement

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123025446150734561.html

I don't believe in magic, and that includes potions. If you want to ingest reversitol, massive quantities of red wine sounds like more fun.. :-)  (I have a batch of Merlot bottle aging in my closet as I type). 

I don't doubt that reversitol does something, but I'll wait for more test results. 

Longevity, and life in general is a very complex interaction with many moving parts. As an engineer I am overwhelmed by the complexity and find it unlikely for there to be some simple magic bullet. 

First do no harm.. If you have already covered all your nutrition bases (preferably with real food) and have money burning a hole in your pocket this stuff seems relatively harmless, compared to the stuff people consumed in the 19th century in the name of good health (radium anybody?) ,. 

Merry christmas, Seasons greetings, and happy new year...

JR

No it's still a bit early in the day for me to imbibe, but no wonder it was so hard for me to find that link. :-( Thanx for the correction I don't work very hard to remember stuff like that.FWIW, The dominant active ingredient in wine (ethyl alcohol) is known to increase HDL cholesterol so arguably beneficial by itself. Hops used in beer brewing, or tannins found in wine are anti-oxidants which also have reportedly beneficial health influence.  I don't pimp booze as a health food, but I don't avoid it in moderation as part of a healthy diet.JRPS: In the spirit of the season, here's a little untested piece of advice I got from a young doctor recently. He suggested that the mechanism for the toxins that cause hangovers is lack of available carbohydrates needed to metabolize the alcohol in our system. So for any CRONies, celebrating new years with a little too much spirit, don't scrimp on the carbohydrates. It may be worth a few extra calories this one night a year if it mitigates the hangover. caveat- I haven't researched or tested this, but it seems like a pretty harmless experiment, if you find yourself with an excess of seasonal spirit. On Dec 28, 2008, at 1:03 PM, Francesca Skelton wrote:: have you already been (hic) dipping into that merlot?  The name of the component in red wine is resveratrol, not reversitol (I have been known to misspell it myself).Note: for others who want to respond to , I have corrected the spelling in the subject heading since it must be spelled correctly to archive posts on the topic.I enjoy the actual wine myself and have noted more than once on this board that we have at least one study (see the files) of men who drank as much as 3-4 glasses of wine a day outliving non-drinkers or more moderate drinkers. And for all we know it’s some other component in the wine.  From:  <robertsjohnhbellsouth (DOT) net>Reply-To: < >Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 12:35:19 -0600To: < >Subject: [ ] Sinclair distances himself from reversitol supplement endorsement  http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123025446150734561.htmlI don't believe in magic, and that includes potions. If you want to ingest reversitol, massive quantities of red wine sounds like more fun.. :-)  (I have a batch of Merlot bottle aging in my closet as I type). I don't doubt that reversitol does something, but I'll wait for more test results. Longevity, and life in general is a very complex interaction with many moving parts. As an engineer I am overwhelmed by the complexity and find it unlikely for there to be some simple magic bullet. First do no harm.. If you have already covered all your nutrition bases (preferably with real food) and have money burning a hole in your pocket this stuff seems relatively harmless, compared to the stuff people consumed in the 19th century in the name of good health (radium anybody?) ,. Merry christmas, Seasons greetings, and happy new year...JR