Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Is your ABA consultant the one who costs £72 an hour?? I have been doing an ABA

program for 5 years (we are in Kent) and have our son fully funded by the LA

(not an easy task but do-able) You need to get on some forums such as ABA-uk to

find some local therapists. You do normally have to pay heftily for aba

consultant but should not need one more than 4 times a year - you can then

consult with them on changes of program via email and phone consults if need be.

If you have a good team of trained tutors in place the program runs smoothly. We

send our child to mainstream with one of these tutor for several sessions a

week. We call them a shadow! I would recommend you go down this route rather

than use a TA (school teaching assistant) as this is luck of the draw if you get

a good one, and they will try and force you to put your child in a special needs

school if they don't do well

Feel free to email me if you want any more info

Sophie

>

> good afternoon everyone,

>

> im a long term lurker and first time poster!

> my daughter (kayla) is autistic and 5 in july. she is more or less non verbal

apart from the odd word here and there.

> she was diagnosed at the age of about 2.5 and since then it has just been a

total rollercoaster. Initially, after researching the internet we took her off

milk and glueten and she improved pretty much straight away, but then she

plateaued. We took her to see jean muscroft but we have really struggled to

implement the correct diet as she is unbelievably picky. she eats gf fruit loaf

from tescos with vitalite, genius bread with vitalite, gf choc biscuits from

asda, gf pizzas from asda and innocent smoothies. All of which we know are not

'correct' but are the nearest to it that she will eat. we started aba 12 months

ago, where an aba instructor would come up to liverpool (where we live) and

teach kaylas mum and 2 volunteers we have helping us. As a result kayla is

slowly picking up things and can say things like 'i want buscuit' but she is

still struggling in a lot of areas. it is proving difficult to carry out these

sessions and what we basically need is someone who is qualified in aba (or

something similar) who we can pay to spend 2 or 3 days a week with kayla in

school 1 to 1. the current company we use will not budge on their £72 an hour

plus expenses and accomodation so we are looking for someone nearer liverpool

who would accept less that that hourly rate and would not need accomodation. Can

anyone reccommend someone? we are eventually trying to get the council to fund

someone in the school full time (forgotten what this is called), i also need

advice on this as well! but we are prepared to pay in the meantime. sorry for

the long post! and it is an education listening to some of you parents on here,

thanks

>

> Danny

>

Guest guest

Hi Danny, we are up in Scotland where there are few ABA therapists. Our son's home programme is supervised by Risca from Skybound Autism therapy and her business partner Lynsey Herdman. We would benefit from more supervision but it would be very costly however they are brilliant . We are lucky with Noah's diet but there are times when I treat eating food as a task that he has to complete in order to get what he wants. It can take two hours but it is not about the food so much as Noah learning to accept other people's requests.Sorry started this last night and forgot to finish it.Inknow it sounds difficult and you get all sorts of escape behaviours from tears to cuddles but when Noah accepts that bit of food I know he has understood something important and it is not about control on my part.I have no ideas if this helps. All the best!Sent from my iPadOn 19 Mar 2012, at 17:11, Kath <butler39@...> wrote:

Hi DannyI know it's not easy, but if I were in your position I would make a monumental effort to ditch the GF processed food and try and follow the advice of your nutritionist.Believe me it gets a lot harder as they get older and bad habits become entrenched I have been there believe me.I am still struggling to get my18 year old severely autistic daughter to eat healthily.I have to juice vegetables and fruit,and make soup and smoothies to get nutrition into her.When she was young we did an ABA programme, we used PEACH to provide training and supervision.We used students and with regular workshops and supervision they got very good.There are probably far more tutors around these day if you advertise.Good luck with everythingKathSent from my iPadOn 19 Mar 2012, at 15:19, "dgjones_pga" <dgjones_pga@...> wrote:

good afternoon everyone,

im a long term lurker and first time poster!

my daughter (kayla) is autistic and 5 in july. she is more or less non verbal apart from the odd word here and there.

she was diagnosed at the age of about 2.5 and since then it has just been a total rollercoaster. Initially, after researching the internet we took her off milk and glueten and she improved pretty much straight away, but then she plateaued. We took her to see jean muscroft but we have really struggled to implement the correct diet as she is unbelievably picky. she eats gf fruit loaf from tescos with vitalite, genius bread with vitalite, gf choc biscuits from asda, gf pizzas from asda and innocent smoothies. All of which we know are not 'correct' but are the nearest to it that she will eat. we started aba 12 months ago, where an aba instructor would come up to liverpool (where we live) and teach kaylas mum and 2 volunteers we have helping us. As a result kayla is slowly picking up things and can say things like 'i want buscuit' but she is still struggling in a lot of areas. it is proving difficult to carry out these sessions and what we basically need is someone who is qualified in aba (or something similar) who we can pay to spend 2 or 3 days a week with kayla in school 1 to 1. the current company we use will not budge on their £72 an hour plus expenses and accomodation so we are looking for someone nearer liverpool who would accept less that that hourly rate and would not need accomodation. Can anyone reccommend someone? we are eventually trying to get the council to fund someone in the school full time (forgotten what this is called), i also need advice on this as well! but we are prepared to pay in the meantime. sorry for the long post! and it is an education listening to some of you parents on here, thanks

Danny