RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Vitamin D: 6 Months In

Rate this topic

Guest guest

yup, and most MSers are deficient in Vit D they find

and perhaps most 'seniors'!

I agree, MOST important to get that test, and get up to a good level!!

both my friend (who had congestive heart failure) and me, an MSer, were way deficient

a great presentation re the important of vit D!!

Jean

Sent: Monday, December 22, 2008 12:22 PM

Subject: Re: Vitamin D: 6 Months In

[with corrections made]>> I have been taking relatively high doses [10,000 IU per day] of > vitamin d for 6 months now.> > I can't begin to tell you how much pain and other symptoms have > disappeared.> > I first got interested in vitamin d from a show on one of the health > channels on obesity. One guy was having severe pain and muscle > spasms in his lower back making walking and exersize impossible.> > At the time, I could barely walk, was often falling down and was in a > lot of pain unless I was sitting down. I had already bought my > rollator and was wondering how long until I needed electronic wheels. > > I am now walking around 3/4 of a mile a day with my dogs and can > navigate Walmart without so much as a twinge. > > > > It was discovered that he was deficient in vitamin d, which is not a > vitamin, rather it is a hormone we usually make from the sun. > > Somewhere along the way, either through being constantly low or > deficient we open ourselves up to develop chronic illnesses like > autoimmune diseases and cancer which further drains our vitamin d > levels and then we are invalids.> > Well, on thanksgiving I got a cold and it was the lightest cold ever > and I have COPD and some sort or intense inflammation in my right > lung so this is usally the beginning of my winter pneumonia. Not > this year...> > You would not have known I had a cold at all except at night when my > tempurature rose a bit and I had some coughing during the night. By > day 10 I was fine.> > THere are way too many links out there and all I can say is to > investigate it by googling Vitamin D. > > There is the> vitamindcouncil.org > which is a good place to start.> > But here is the fast facts.> > If you have a chronic illness, if you are obese, if you stay out of > the sun or if you are lathered in protection, if you don't eat foods > laden in vitamin d [truly, this days they are hard to find] you are > probably deficient.> > Get a 25 Hydroxyvitamin d test run...NOT the 1,25 test... > > you want to be between 50 and 75 ng/mil.. my last test put me at 76. > Unfortunately, Docters may be happy to get you up to 20 or 35 ng/mil > which is the lower limit on lab results. That is NOT good enough.> > You want to take Vitamin D3 to get levels up... you cannot get this > from the sun once you are deficient and need to take supplements.> > The Docs will prescribe D2, ask about just buying D3. [D2 is synthetic and not very good for you]> > I get mine from biotech pharmical http://www.bio-tech-pharm.com/ on the web and there are other > recommendations at the vitamin d council site.> > It is safe to start with 2000IU a day without testing, especially in > winter. But you should get a deficiency documented.> > If you are deficient, it is safe to take 10,000IU for four months. I > have been taking this amount for 6 months, and I won't recommend that > for anyone else, but I am hoping it will help my lung inflammation > which could be really bad if it continues to spread in my lungs. My > last ct scan indicated that it was smaller.. so we will see.> > It hasn't done much for the arthritis in my lower back, but that is > so minor.. I don't even worry about it. But it could still get > better down down the road. At least I hope so..> > If any of you should or have already check out your Vitamin D status > and if you were deficient please let me know if supplementation as > helped... > > I confess I only check in every now and then, but you can always send > a copy of the email to me at lecody2001@...> > Vitamin D isn't a cureall, but its close and if you are deficient, > once that is corrected and those symptoms are gone, if there are any > left, you may have a better chance at a diagnosis and treatment.> > Cody>