RemedySpot.com

Fw: Human taste buds able to detect plant toxins

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Human Taste Buds Able to Detect Plant ToxinsTuesday, January 22, 2008 by: Patty Donovan Printable version Key concepts: vegetables, taste buds and thyroid. Want stories like this e-mailed to you? Click here for free e-mail alerts.

FREE Subscription to the "NewsTarget Insider" E-mail Newsletter

Learn inside information not reported in the mainstream media! Receive articles on nutrition secrets, raw foods, pharmaceutical warnings and natural medicine. Instant download of over 20 exclusive reports and interviews. 100% free of charge, easy to unsubscribe. Get breaking news alerts on natural health solutions, health freedom laws, climate change and more. No spam! We don't rent or sell e-mails.

Your Email Address: Security code:

Enter the numbers you see above: (NewsTarget) Scientists at the Monell Chemical Senses Center report that the ability to perceive the bitter taste of vegetables is a combination of taste genes and the presence of naturally-occurring toxins in a given vegetable. The study appears in the September 19 issue of Current Biology.Scientists have always assumed that the ability to sense bitterness evolved as a defense mechanism to detect potentially harmful toxins in plants. This study provides support for this hypothesis by establishing that variants of the bitter taste receptor TAS2R38 can detect glucosinolates, a class of compounds with potentially harmful physiological actions, in natural foods. Glucosinolates are considered anti-thyroid because they inhibit the uptake of iodine into the thyroid which increases the risk of goiter and decreases the levels of thyroid hormones, hence they have come to be collectively known as goitrogens. The thyroid converts iodine into thyroid hormones which are essential for protein synthesis and for regulating the body's metabolism. The ability to taste glucosinolates and then avoid them could be a selective advantage to the "over 1 billion people who are at risk for thyroid insufficiency"."The findings show that our taste receptors are capable of detecting toxins in the natural setting of the fruit and vegetable plant matrix," said senior author Breslin, a Monell sensory scientist.Thirty five healthy adults were selected for the study and placed in one of three categories depending on genotype (hTAS2R38 gene). These groups were: 1) sensitive to the bitter tasting chemical PTC, 2)Insensitive to the bitter taste of PTC and 3) Showed intermediate sensitivity.Each subject was then given a variety of vegetables, some containing glucosinolates while others did not. Examples of the glucosinolate-containing vegetables include watercress, broccoli, bok choy, kale, kohlrabi, and turnip; while the non-glucosinolate foods included radicchio, endive, eggplant and spinach. Subjects with the sensitive receptor rated the glucosinolate-containing vegetables as 60% more bitter than did subjects with the insensitive form. The other vegetables were rated equally bitter by the two groups, demonstrating that variations in the hTAS2R38 gene has specificity to foods containing glucosinolate toxins."The sense of taste enables us to detect bitter toxins within foods, and genetically-based differences in our bitter taste receptors affect how we each perceive foods containing a particular set of toxins," summarizes Breslin. Breslin notes, "The contents of the veggies are a double-edged sword, depending upon the physiological context of the individual eating them. Most people in industrialized cultures can and should enjoy these foods. In addition to providing essential nutrients and vitamins, many are reported to have anti-cancer properties."Reference:Article adapted by Medical News Today from original press release.The article did not mention that there are ways to get the benefits of these vegetables without the goitrogenic effects. The first and I believe best way is via lacto-fermentation (fermenting with live lactobacillus). The fermentation converts the glucosinolates to harmless substances. Fermentation retains all the cancer-inhibiting properties of these vegetables, retains all the vitamin and mineral content and at the same time actually makes certain enzymes and more vitamins, especially the B vitamins and Vitamin K. The second method is cooking, preferably light steaming. Again, this converts the glucosinolates to harmless compounds.

About the authorPatty is a recent convert to health through "whole foods" nutrition and alternative medicine. In April 2007, she was told to go back on morphine, get in a wheelchair and "learn to live with it". Since that time, she has spent countless hours researching nutrtion and alternative health. She comes to News Target with a unique perspective in this area after working in pharmacy and teaching pharmacology for 15 years, followed by 15 years as an RN. In less than 6 months of following this lifestyle, she has lost 50lbs, stopped over 20 prescription drugs and no longer has several "diseases".###

Vote now: How would you rate this article from 1 to 10? (1=poor, 10=excellent. Votes are reflected within 1 business day.)

See more articles on: vegetables | taste buds | thyroid

Articles related to this article:• New "Juice Feasting" Emerging as Phytonutrient-Rich Disease-Fighting Nutritional System• Vegetables May Reduce Hardening of Arteries (press release)• Folic acid deficiencies are widespread; here's why nearly everyone needs more folate• Availability of fruits and vegetables improves eating behavior of schoolchildren• An overview of new health products, plant technology, superfoods and natural health research breakthroughs

Support NewsTarget by linking to this articleCopy and paste the following HTML code into any web page: <a href = "http://www.NewsTarget.com/022526.html">Human Taste Buds Able to Detect Plant Toxins</a> • Post your comment on this article (click here) "Here's what I think..." • Email this article to a friend (click here) "Hey, check this out!" • Be social! Share this article on: NewsVine | digg | del.icio.us • Permalink to this article: http://www.NewsTarget.com/022526.html • Reprinting this article: Non-commercial OK, cite NewsTarget with clickable link.

Highest Rated Stories:• FDA Announces Plan to Eliminate Vitamin Companies• Thousands Exposed to Poison by Government's Aerial Spraying• Merck Committed Scientific Fraud in Delays, Distortions of Vytorin Drug Trial (opinion)• FDA seizes $71k in herbal tea products as campaign of censorship against nutritional supplements continues• Big Brother U.S. Government Subpoenaed Amazon.com to Obtain Book Purchasing Records of Customers• Arachnoiditis - The Risk You Take When Opting for Spinal Surgery• 's New "Generation Rx" Documentary Exposes Mass Betrayal of Children by FDA, Big Pharma

Receive our Natural Health Newsletter for FREESubscribe now (it's free!) to win. We randomly choose a subscriber each month to send $100 in eco-home products or a RealGoods.com gift certificate (our choice). Plus, you'll receive FREE news, articles and action alerts from NewsTarget editors and join over 800,000 monthly readers who report extraordinary health improvements after becoming a subscriber!

100% free of charge. Unsubscribe anytime. Absolutely no spam. We respect your email privacy. Our privacy policy. Receive breaking news alerts on natural health solutions, renewable energy, the environment, global warming and more. Receive a free instant download of our $29 Secret Sources guide that reveals top sources for little-known health and diet solutions.

Your Email Address:

Free Subscription Code:

Enter the numbers you see:

Testimonials From Current Subscribers"Mike is the best health and natural products writer on the scene today." - Ronnie Cummins, founder, Organic Consumers Association "Your newsletter is even better than books I've paid for!" - S. Knudson "I can't thank you enough for sharing this for free. It's been a godsend..." - C. "Every day, I forward the NewsTarget Insider to probably five friends, and they love it!" - C. Engel "... there's at least one really good article for me to read every day, and I read it and follow it." - N. Post "I'm still not sure why you don't charge $79 a year for this like all the other health newsletters..." - M. White "Just wanted to say thank you from the bottom of my heart. You have a special place in my prayers for your gift of this newsletter." - O. Davenport "As a nutritionist and naturopath, I love your website. Mike is spot on..." - A. Dunev, B.S., C.N., PhD "I credit huge amounts to NewsTarget, which has provided me with education, humor, and courage to step away from the established medical assumptions which have actually been making me worse all these years." - A. O'Neal "I am writing to tell you how much I appreciate your newsletter. I am an RN case manager and I regularly share the information I learn from your site with my patients. Thank you for doing such fine work." - L. "Your site is so interesting! I love what you have to say in every area. The articles on the real estate bubble are very clear and, I believe, right on target (thank goodness I own my house free and clear and don't have a second one). Your nutrition stuff is always excellent too, and the political stuff is so fun and right on "target". Keep up the great work!" - T. "Thank you for all the time and effort that's gone into the CWRC and Newstarget sites, I've spent the last two weeks or so plowing through them, and have come out the other side much more educated, and motivated to start paying a lot more attention to my own health." - Conrad "Outstanding work! It has helped me to organize my confused ideas about many health topics, such as diabetes and high blood pressure. Doctors I have visited do not like to spend the time educating you. I have only learned through your many written articles. I copy them to my Word files for future reference and study. Congratulations and thanks for your help!" - C. Noguera "Thanks for all the wonderful information which I constantly receive. I am so sated with knowledge at the moment, I am euphoric." - C. Tinder- "I subscribe to your newsletter and forward them to friends and family. I'm always thankful for reading anything that is written in the best interest of people as opposed to big companies." - L. Harter

This page powered by the WebSeed Content Management System (CMS) created by Mike .This site is part of the NewsTarget Network ©2004,2005,2006,2007 . Privacy | Terms All content posted on this site is commentary or opinion and is protected under Free Speech. Truth Publishing International, LTD. has full ownership of and takes sole responsibility for all content. Truth Publishing sells no health or nutritional products and earns no money from health product manufacturers or promoters. The information on this site is provided for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended as a substitute for professional advice of any kind. Truth Publishing assumes no responsibility for the use or misuse of this material. Your use of this website indicates your agreement to these terms and those published here. All trademarks, registered trademarks and servicemarks mentioned on this site are the property of their respective owners.

Also Posted Today:• Mediterranean Diet Boosts Life Expectancy of Alzheimer's Patients• The Coming Financial Collapse of America (and Why Today's Market Bloodbath is Only a Small Taste of Things to Come...)• Fitness More Than Fatness Determines Your Health and Longevity• USDA Forces Dog Lovers to Foot the Bill of Rabies Study• Double Mastectomy Patient Told Cancer Diagnosis Was a Mistake

Beat Disease With Juice Feasting!NEW 6-CD audio set reveals amazing new protocol for reversing cancer, diabetes, obesity, heart disease and more. Click to learn more.

Own Health Ranger Report Podcasts on Audio CDOwn the first 8 Health Ranger Report audio programs on 6 CDs. Covers weight loss, ADHD, vaccinations, processed meats, bone health and more. Click to learn more.

Are your medications making you sick?Check the safety of your medication by clicking here.

Do U Eat This?See shocking processed meat photos... up close!

FREE Reports to view right now:• Amazon Herb Company review• The pH Nutrition Guide to Acid / Alkaline Balance• Pet Food Ingredients Revealed! (shocking)• Medicine From Fish• The Water Cure• The Healing Power of Sunlight & Vitamin D

Related CartoonsThe Future of Food Anti-aging medicine The Killing of California Almonds

High Impact Stories:• Half a million loads of laundry will now be chemical free thanks to availability of eco-friendly "soap nuts" laundry detergent• Certain pomegranate juice products deceive consumers with dishonest labels and ingredients, reveals new consumer guide• NewsTarget.com releases shocking macrophotography pictures of processed meats: Salami, sausage and hot dogs• The Amazon Herb Company: An Independent Review• Pet food revealed: Consumer Wellness Center posts nutritional review of 570 pet food ingredients• The sunscreen myth: How sunscreen products actually promote cancer• New research shows vitamin D slashes risk of cancers by 77 percent; cancer industry refuses to support cancer prevention• The aloe vera miracle: A natural medicine for cancer, cholesterol, diabetes, inflammation, IBS, and other health conditions• Mike launches eco-friendly LED lighting technology with 1000% improvement in energy efficiency• Review: The Future of Food, a must-see documentary that exposes the biotech threat to life on our planet• NewsTarget secures reader discounts on top health and eco-friendly products• Americans fed up with drug industry influence, FDA corruption, reveals remarkable Consumer Reports survey• Health freedom action alert: FDA attempting to regulate supplements, herbs and juices as "drugs"• Health guru launches online Disease Mongering Engine that instantly generates hilarious fictitious disease names

Health product companies we recommendRead recommendations on supplement companies, health food manufacturers and personal care product makers that you can trust. Our 100% independent review list tells you who to trust and who to avoid in the natural health industry. Click to read.