RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Ocular damage from HTN?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

You do not want to be blind sided. CE Grim MDOn Jan 12, 2012, at 9:17 AM, msmith_1928 wrote: Should get better as BP gets better... Is BP the same in both arms?BP has been the same in both arms (and legs!). Average at home was 117/72 this morning; last doctor's office visit was 124/80 IIRC.I guess I shouldn't expect complete reversal of EVERYTHING in just three months... but everything else has gotten so much better that this kind of caught me by surprise.> > > Yesterday I had my first bit of bad news since the adrenalectomy in October. I'm already making plans for a second opinion, but wanted to put this out there for comment.> >> > I had a routine eye exam with my longtime optometrist yesterday (who I have educated extensively about PA since he was very interested). He told me that he found two things that were not there at my last exam (three years ago): vascular damage consistent with that in untreated hypertensive patients, and the beginnings of macular degeneration in my left eye.> >> > My mom has macular degeneration, but hers did not start until she was well into her 70s (she's 86 now). I did some quick and dirty research and found that while heredity is probably the biggest culprint, HTN can also trigger it.> >> > The optometrist did not comment about the implications of the "vascular damage" other than to say that it may still reverse itself since it's only been three months since the surgery.> >> > I'm following up with my primary care doc in a couple weeks and will also see an ophthalmologist to find out what, if anything, I can do to prevent all of this from getting worse. And trying not to freak out too much, but it's rather disturbing news to someone who uses their vision to make a living!> >> > -msmith1928> > Nulliparous female, 46, left laparoscopic adrenalectomy on 10/13/2011.> >> >>