RemedySpot.com

Re: Which is a most effective diagnostic tool here, MRI or AVS?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Most doctors do MRI or CT-Scan to see if there is a tumor. If there is one and

it is over 4cm most recommend removal. Other than that it can identify that you

have a tumor in one, two or no Adrenal, they often miss smaller ones and do not

tell if they are functioning.

The AVS is the " Gold Standard " to tell if one adrenal is over producing and is a

candidate for removal. This can also identify smaller tumors that can't be seen

on scans. Remember that extra aldosterone can be produced by organs other than

the adrenals. Due to costs, AVS is usually reserved for PTNs that want removal

if feasible. The exception, according to standards, is if you are under 40. It

recommends skipping the AVS since most tumors are functioning. (I'm way over

that cutoff so I didn't spend a lot of time researching it!) I'm sure it is

also a cost issue since the AVS will cost $25,000 to $40,000!

I probably missed something but others will chime in.

- 65 yo super ob., fastidious male - 12mm X 13mm rt. a.adnoma with

previous rt. flank pain. Treating with DASH. Stats w/o meds = BP 175/90 HR 59

BS 125. D/C Spironolactone 12/20/2011 due to adverse SX.

Other Issues/Opportunities: OSA w Bi-Pap settings 13/19, DM2, Gynecomastia, MDD

and PTSD.

Meds: Duloxetine hcl 80 MG, Metoprolol Tartrate 200 MG, 81mg aspirin and

Metformin 2000MG. Started washing Spironolactone 12/20/11 to prepare for AVS.

>

> My cardio ordered MRI to check on my adrenals and kidneys. She never mentioned

AVS but over the years I belong to this forum, I heard a lot about AVS too.

>

MRI can look at renal and adrenal it will only show bumps on adrenal. Only AVS can tell it bumps are the source of the problem. Remind us of your prior renin and also numbers and do a thumbnail. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Jan 23, 2012, at 23:02, bayabas76 <bayabas76@...> wrote:

My cardio ordered MRI to check on my adrenals and kidneys. She never mentioned AVS but over the years I belong to this forum, I heard a lot about AVS too.

Dr Grim, would you consider reviewing just our radiology CD's for a reduced price since you are experienced in what to actually look for?

From: <jclark24p@...>Subject: Re: Which is a most effective diagnostic tool here, MRI or AVS?hyperaldosteronism Date: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 3:54 AM

Most doctors do MRI or CT-Scan to see if there is a tumor. If there is one and it is over 4cm most recommend removal. Other than that it can identify that you have a tumor in one, two or no Adrenal, they often miss smaller ones and do not tell if they are functioning.The AVS is the "Gold Standard" to tell if one adrenal is over producing and is a candidate for removal. This can also identify smaller tumors that can't be seen on scans. Remember that extra aldosterone can be produced by organs other than the adrenals. Due to costs, AVS is usually reserved for PTNs that want removal if feasible. The exception, according to standards, is if you are under 40. It recommends skipping the AVS since most tumors are functioning. (I'm way over that cutoff so I didn't spend a lot of time researching it!) I'm sure it is also a cost issue since the AVS will cost $25,000 to $40,000!I probably missed something but others will chime in. -

65 yo super ob., fastidious male - 12mm X 13mm rt. a.adnoma with previous rt. flank pain. Treating with DASH. Stats w/o meds = BP 175/90 HR 59 BS 125. D/C Spironolactone 12/20/2011 due to adverse SX.Other Issues/Opportunities: OSA w Bi-Pap settings 13/19, DM2, Gynecomastia, MDD and PTSD.Meds: Duloxetine hcl 80 MG, Metoprolol Tartrate 200 MG, 81mg aspirin and Metformin 2000MG. Started washing Spironolactone 12/20/11 to prepare for AVS.>> My cardio ordered MRI to check on my adrenals and kidneys. She never mentioned AVS but over the years I belong to this forum, I heard a lot about AVS too.>

What is a thumbnail, Dr Grim?

>

> > My cardio ordered MRI to check on my adrenals and kidneys. She never

mentioned AVS but over the years I belong to this forum, I heard a lot about AVS

too.

> >

> >

>

A thumbnail is a brief summary of your issues and medicines so Dr. Grim can tell

you from the other 699 people here. Here is mine:

- 65 yo super ob., fastidious male - 12mm X 13mm rt. a.adnoma with

previous rt. flank pain. Treating with DASH. Stats w/o meds = BP 175/90 HR 59

BS 125. D/C Spironolactone 12/20/2011 due to adverse SX.

Other Issues/Opportunities: OSA w Bi-Pap settings 13/19, DM2, Gynecomastia, MDD

and PTSD.

Meds: Duloxetine hcl 80 MG, Metoprolol Tartrate 200 MG, 81mg aspirin and

Metformin 2000MG. Started washing Spironolactone 12/20/11 to prepare for AVS.

> >

> > > My cardio ordered MRI to check on my adrenals and kidneys. She never

mentioned AVS but over the years I belong to this forum, I heard a lot about AVS

too.

> > >

> > >

> >

>

Something like that: Natalia Kamneva 67 Russian F with 2 cm left adrenal adenoma, still not diagnosed with PA; diabetic; on 100 mg eplerenone, 80 mg Micardis, 2000 mg metformin, 60 mg Dexilant and 2 mg Lorazepam; Dashing; still have some occasional problems with BP, K and Na; on private consultation with Dr Grim. From: bayabas76 <bayabas76@...> hyperaldosteronism Sent: Friday, January 27, 2012 4:39 AM Subject: Re: Which is a most effective diagnostic tool here, MRI or AVS?

What is a thumbnail, Dr Grim?

>

> > My cardio ordered MRI to check on my adrenals and kidneys. She never mentioned AVS but over the years I belong to this forum, I heard a lot about AVS too.

> >

> >

>

A few sentences that tells me (and others) who you are, what your numbers have been etc.See Natailia's or 's.On Jan 27, 2012, at 2:39 AM, bayabas76 wrote: What is a thumbnail, Dr Grim? > > > My cardio ordered MRI to check on my adrenals and kidneys. She never mentioned AVS but over the years I belong to this forum, I heard a lot about AVS too. > > > > >

• 2 weeks later...

What do you think is a fair price?It will take me 30 min to do it right and send back results. I usually get $100 an hour consulting. I think there is a way to mount them somewhere where I can look at them. But don't know the details. CE Grim MDOn Jan 24, 2012, at 10:21 AM, Bingham wrote: Dr Grim, would you consider reviewing just our radiology CD's for a reduced price since you are experienced in what to actually look for? From: <jclark24p@...>Subject: Re: Which is a most effective diagnostic tool here, MRI or AVS?hyperaldosteronism Date: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 3:54 AM Most doctors do MRI or CT-Scan to see if there is a tumor. If there is one and it is over 4cm most recommend removal. Other than that it can identify that you have a tumor in one, two or no Adrenal, they often miss smaller ones and do not tell if they are functioning.The AVS is the "Gold Standard" to tell if one adrenal is over producing and is a candidate for removal. This can also identify smaller tumors that can't be seen on scans. Remember that extra aldosterone can be produced by organs other than the adrenals. Due to costs, AVS is usually reserved for PTNs that want removal if feasible. The exception, according to standards, is if you are under 40. It recommends skipping the AVS since most tumors are functioning. (I'm way over that cutoff so I didn't spend a lot of time researching it!) I'm sure it is also a cost issue since the AVS will cost $25,000 to $40,000!I probably missed something but others will chime in. - 65 yo super ob., fastidious male - 12mm X 13mm rt. a.adnoma with previous rt. flank pain. Treating with DASH. Stats w/o meds = BP 175/90 HR 59 BS 125. D/C Spironolactone 12/20/2011 due to adverse SX.Other Issues/Opportunities: OSA w Bi-Pap settings 13/19, DM2, Gynecomastia, MDD and PTSD.Meds: Duloxetine hcl 80 MG, Metoprolol Tartrate 200 MG, 81mg aspirin and Metformin 2000MG. Started washing Spironolactone 12/20/11 to prepare for AVS.>> My cardio ordered MRI to check on my adrenals and kidneys. She never mentioned AVS but over the years I belong to this forum, I heard a lot about AVS too.>

It can be done useing you tube.

> > >

> > > My cardio ordered MRI to check on my adrenals and kidneys. She

> > never mentioned AVS but over the years I belong to this forum, I

> > heard a lot about AVS too.

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>

Six years ago I had an adrenalectomy. My diagnosis of hyperaldosteronism was

determined without using AVS. I did have a CT scan and some other tests but not

the AVS. I will post my full story later this week.

>

> My cardio ordered MRI to check on my adrenals and kidneys. She never mentioned

AVS but over the years I belong to this forum, I heard a lot about AVS too.

>

Let me know. I have paypal. CE Grim MDOn Feb 7, 2012, at 8:22 AM, Francis Bill SUSPECTED PA wrote: It can be done useing you tube. > > > > > > My cardio ordered MRI to check on my adrenals and kidneys. She > > never mentioned AVS but over the years I belong to this forum, I > > heard a lot about AVS too. > > > > > > > > > >