RemedySpot.com

some lab numbers, 3 months post-adrenalectomy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi all. My primary care doc recently ran some labs to see if some of the odd numbers that I had pre-adrenalectomy were resolved with the removal of the tumor. I had been borderline insulin resistant for years, and with a very strong maternal history of diabetes these were things that we were keeping a careful watch on.Fasting glucose: 88 (normal 65-99)Insulin 3.3 (normal 2.6-24.9)C-peptide 1.7 (1.1-4.4)HbA1c 5.1 (4.8-5.6)C-reactive protein 1.79 (o.oo-3.00)That's the good news - at least on paper, it looks like metabolically I'm now pretty darned "normal"! Haven't had time to dig out my whole history of labs but pre-surgery, I had fasting glucose of 101 and HbA1c's toward the high end of the 5's, I think 5.4 was the highest but the steady upward creep had me pretty worried.The not-so-good news is that my "really odd cholesterol pattern" (the words of several doctors!) hasn't improved since the surgery:Total cholesterol 303 (normal 100-199)Triglycerides 74 (normal 0-149)HDL 102 (normal >39; >59 considered a negative risk factor)VLDL 15 (normal 5-40)LDL 186 (normal 0-99)The plan is to wait until a year after surgery (October) and re-test and then decide whether this is something to look into further. This one has my medical team baffled; most haven't ever seen an HDL as high as mine at the same time as an LDL that high, and aren't sure what to make of it. I've been getting cholesterol readings like this for almost 20 years now.Until a study comes out that proves with certainty that statins help 40-something women with no other risk factors and no history of coronary events, I refuse to even consider the possibility!-msmith1928Left laparoscopic adrenalectomy 10/13/2011Celiac disease and hereditary fructose intolerance

Dr. Grim just reported a link between statins and gynecomasti - look t the opportunity you might be missing!

>> Hi all. My primary care doc recently ran some labs to see if some of the> odd numbers that I had pre-adrenalectomy were resolved with the removal> of the tumor. I had been borderline insulin resistant for years, and> with a very strong maternal history of diabetes these were things that> we were keeping a careful watch on.> > Fasting glucose: 88 (normal 65-99)> Insulin 3.3 (normal 2.6-24.9)> C-peptide 1.7 (1.1-4.4)> HbA1c 5.1 (4.8-5.6)> C-reactive protein 1.79 (o.oo-3.00)> > That's the good news - at least on paper, it looks like metabolically> I'm now pretty darned "normal"! Haven't had time to dig out my whole> history of labs but pre-surgery, I had fasting glucose of 101 and> HbA1c's toward the high end of the 5's, I think 5.4 was the highest but> the steady upward creep had me pretty worried.> > The not-so-good news is that my "really odd cholesterol pattern" (the> words of several doctors!) hasn't improved since the surgery:> > Total cholesterol 303 (normal 100-199)> Triglycerides 74 (normal 0-149)> HDL 102 (normal >39; >59 considered a negative risk factor)> VLDL 15 (normal 5-40)> LDL 186 (normal 0-99)> > The plan is to wait until a year after surgery (October) and re-test and> then decide whether this is something to look into further. This one has> my medical team baffled; most haven't ever seen an HDL as high as mine> at the same time as an LDL that high, and aren't sure what to make of> it. I've been getting cholesterol readings like this for almost 20 years> now.> > Until a study comes out that proves with certainty that statins help> 40-something women with no other risk factors and no history of coronary> events, I refuse to even consider the possibility!> > -msmith1928> Left laparoscopic adrenalectomy 10/13/2011> Celiac disease and hereditary fructose intolerance>

LOL I saw that. Between that and the recent link between statins and diabetes,

those drugs sound like real winners!

> >

> > Hi all. My primary care doc recently ran some labs to see if some of

> the

> > odd numbers that I had pre-adrenalectomy were resolved with the

> removal

> > of the tumor. I had been borderline insulin resistant for years, and

> > with a very strong maternal history of diabetes these were things that

> > we were keeping a careful watch on.

> >

> > Fasting glucose: 88 (normal 65-99)

> > Insulin 3.3 (normal 2.6-24.9)

> > C-peptide 1.7 (1.1-4.4)

> > HbA1c 5.1 (4.8-5.6)

> > C-reactive protein 1.79 (o.oo-3.00)

> >

> > That's the good news - at least on paper, it looks like metabolically

> > I'm now pretty darned " normal " ! Haven't had time to dig out my whole

> > history of labs but pre-surgery, I had fasting glucose of 101 and

> > HbA1c's toward the high end of the 5's, I think 5.4 was the highest

> but

> > the steady upward creep had me pretty worried.

> >

> > The not-so-good news is that my " really odd cholesterol pattern " (the

> > words of several doctors!) hasn't improved since the surgery:

> >

> > Total cholesterol 303 (normal 100-199)

> > Triglycerides 74 (normal 0-149)

> > HDL 102 (normal >39; >59 considered a negative risk factor)

> > VLDL 15 (normal 5-40)

> > LDL 186 (normal 0-99)

> >

> > The plan is to wait until a year after surgery (October) and re-test

> and

> > then decide whether this is something to look into further. This one

> has

> > my medical team baffled; most haven't ever seen an HDL as high as mine

> > at the same time as an LDL that high, and aren't sure what to make of

> > it. I've been getting cholesterol readings like this for almost 20

> years

> > now.

> >

> > Until a study comes out that proves with certainty that statins help

> > 40-something women with no other risk factors and no history of

> coronary

> > events, I refuse to even consider the possibility!

> >

> > -msmith1928

> > Left laparoscopic adrenalectomy 10/13/2011

> > Celiac disease and hereditary fructose intolerance

> >

>

And your family tree says? Don;t know lipid values in those with H fructose intol? Maybe you can do a pubmed? or is there a group for HFI? like ours>My guess is you don't eat much animal fat?CE Grim MDOn Feb 8, 2012, at 7:48 AM, msmith_1928 wrote: Hi all. My primary care doc recently ran some labs to see if some of the odd numbers that I had pre-adrenalectomy were resolved with the removal of the tumor. I had been borderline insulin resistant for years, and with a very strong maternal history of diabetes these were things that we were keeping a careful watch on.Fasting glucose: 88 (normal 65-99)Insulin 3.3 (normal 2.6-24.9)C-peptide 1.7 (1.1-4.4)HbA1c 5.1 (4.8-5.6)C-reactive protein 1.79 (o.oo-3.00)That's the good news - at least on paper, it looks like metabolically I'm now pretty darned "normal"! Haven't had time to dig out my whole history of labs but pre-surgery, I had fasting glucose of 101 and HbA1c's toward the high end of the 5's, I think 5.4 was the highest but the steady upward creep had me pretty worried.The not-so-good news is that my "really odd cholesterol pattern" (the words of several doctors!) hasn't improved since the surgery:Total cholesterol 303 (normal 100-199)Triglycerides 74 (normal 0-149)HDL 102 (normal >39; >59 considered a negative risk factor)VLDL 15 (normal 5-40)LDL 186 (normal 0-99)The plan is to wait until a year after surgery (October) and re-test and then decide whether this is something to look into further. This one has my medical team baffled; most haven't ever seen an HDL as high as mine at the same time as an LDL that high, and aren't sure what to make of it. I've been getting cholesterol readings like this for almost 20 years now.Until a study comes out that proves with certainty that statins help 40-something women with no other risk factors and no history of coronary events, I refuse to even consider the possibility!-msmith1928Left laparoscopic adrenalectomy 10/13/2011Celiac disease and hereditary fructose intolerance

And we have no studies in women as I recall. On Feb 8, 2012, at 11:20 AM, msmith_1928 wrote: LOL I saw that. Between that and the recent link between statins and diabetes, those drugs sound like real winners! > > > > Hi all. My primary care doc recently ran some labs to see if some of > the > > odd numbers that I had pre-adrenalectomy were resolved with the > removal > > of the tumor. I had been borderline insulin resistant for years, and > > with a very strong maternal history of diabetes these were things that > > we were keeping a careful watch on. > > > > Fasting glucose: 88 (normal 65-99) > > Insulin 3.3 (normal 2.6-24.9) > > C-peptide 1.7 (1.1-4.4) > > HbA1c 5.1 (4.8-5.6) > > C-reactive protein 1.79 (o.oo-3.00) > > > > That's the good news - at least on paper, it looks like metabolically > > I'm now pretty darned "normal"! Haven't had time to dig out my whole > > history of labs but pre-surgery, I had fasting glucose of 101 and > > HbA1c's toward the high end of the 5's, I think 5.4 was the highest > but > > the steady upward creep had me pretty worried. > > > > The not-so-good news is that my "really odd cholesterol pattern" (the > > words of several doctors!) hasn't improved since the surgery: > > > > Total cholesterol 303 (normal 100-199) > > Triglycerides 74 (normal 0-149) > > HDL 102 (normal >39; >59 considered a negative risk factor) > > VLDL 15 (normal 5-40) > > LDL 186 (normal 0-99) > > > > The plan is to wait until a year after surgery (October) and re-test > and > > then decide whether this is something to look into further. This one > has > > my medical team baffled; most haven't ever seen an HDL as high as mine > > at the same time as an LDL that high, and aren't sure what to make of > > it. I've been getting cholesterol readings like this for almost 20 > years > > now. > > > > Until a study comes out that proves with certainty that statins help > > 40-something women with no other risk factors and no history of > coronary > > events, I refuse to even consider the possibility! > > > > -msmith1928 > > Left laparoscopic adrenalectomy 10/13/2011 > > Celiac disease and hereditary fructose intolerance > > >

Thanks for the replies Dr. Grim. I do eat animal fat - salmon several times a

week, chicken, eggs, sometimes pork. Not a lot of other meats, really minimal

dairy. When I was vegetarian and obsessed with low-fat eating, my LDL &

triglycerides were even higher, and my HDL was low. So, nobody seems to think

dietary intake is playing a role.

Family tree is a big mystery on paternal side; maternal side is full of T2

diabetes, obesity, heart disease, high cholesterol, etc in all 6 of my mother's

siblings, but interestingly enough, not my mother (age 86, all of 120 pounds,

and has none of the above).

There's a dietary fructose intolerance group but not an HFI group that I could

find. Still looking, though. It's been a while since I've PubMed'ed any HFI

stuff so I should do that soon!

>

> > Hi all. My primary care doc recently ran some labs to see if some of

> > the odd numbers that I had pre-adrenalectomy were resolved with the

> > removal of the tumor. I had been borderline insulin resistant for

> > years, and with a very strong maternal history of diabetes these

> > were things that we were keeping a careful watch on.

> >

> >

> > Fasting glucose: 88 (normal 65-99)

> > Insulin 3.3 (normal 2.6-24.9)

> > C-peptide 1.7 (1.1-4.4)

> > HbA1c 5.1 (4.8-5.6)

> > C-reactive protein 1.79 (o.oo-3.00)

> >

> > That's the good news - at least on paper, it looks like

> > metabolically I'm now pretty darned " normal " ! Haven't had time to

> > dig out my whole history of labs but pre-surgery, I had fasting

> > glucose of 101 and HbA1c's toward the high end of the 5's, I think

> > 5.4 was the highest but the steady upward creep had me pretty worried.

> >

> > The not-so-good news is that my " really odd cholesterol

> > pattern " (the words of several doctors!) hasn't improved since the

> > surgery:

> >

> > Total cholesterol 303 (normal 100-199)

> > Triglycerides 74 (normal 0-149)

> > HDL 102 (normal >39; >59 considered a negative risk factor)

> > VLDL 15 (normal 5-40)

> > LDL 186 (normal 0-99)

> >

> > The plan is to wait until a year after surgery (October) and re-test

> > and then decide whether this is something to look into further. This

> > one has my medical team baffled; most haven't ever seen an HDL as

> > high as mine at the same time as an LDL that high, and aren't sure

> > what to make of it. I've been getting cholesterol readings like this

> > for almost 20 years now.

> >

> > Until a study comes out that proves with certainty that statins help

> > 40-something women with no other risk factors and no history of

> > coronary events, I refuse to even consider the possibility!

> >

> > -msmith1928

> > Left laparoscopic adrenalectomy 10/13/2011

> > Celiac disease and hereditary fructose intolerance

> >

> >

>