RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Question about Saline Infusion Test

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Did they do a 24 hr urine the day before the salinE?How much did you pee during the saline? What was the volume of urine u passed during the saline?Remember I always ask you to have them and u toMeasure this.So you have an early phase of PA in which your baseline renin is very low but Aldo is not. Reread my evolution article so u understand this. Have u taken to your endo yet. How does he explain the low K low renin and not low Aldo. As you will not all PA START off with suppressible Aldo. So what I would do would be to recommend you get someone to treat your HTN with either Spiro or eplere and check your urine Na and K to see if yU have room to work on the DASH yet?May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Feb 28, 2012, at 16:31, StaceyF <ssminnow@...> wrote:

Got my results back. Will not convince anyone that I have it now. My Renin was .23ng/ml/hr at 8 am and leads than .15 after the infusion. My aldosterone was 11.8 ng//dl and 3.1 after the infusion. Cortisol is 10.6 ug/dl at 8 am and 6.3 at 12:45 pm.

My potassium was 3.7 before and 3.6 after. I was doubling my k supp so 40 meq and drinking coconut water to get more k and still has such a low norm level. My sodium blood test was 138 before and 140 meq/ l. My chloride was borderline high at 109 meq/l. Co2 was low at 22 before and borderline low at 24 meq/l after. From what I read, these results exclude me from PA.

Any other suggestions. The doc who ordered the test can not see me for 2 months. Still off all BP meds and having trouble keeping my k up.

>

> > I went ahead and had the saline infusion test done but wondered if Dr. Grim could answer a question about it for me. I know you do not do it anymore, but I thought that since I do not intake much salt it would ensure I got enough to make the test more reliable. However, after taking 4 weeks to get the test done and today the infusion center had never done one. I brought up the protocol I got online for it and this helped them know what tubes to use for the lab draw and the positioning issues.

> > I slept for the first 2 hours then had to go to the bathroom. I did convince them to let me check my total urine eliminated. I saw that the iv had it at a rate of 250ml/hr at that time. I questioned the nurse and she looked back and said oh i thought it was only 1 liter not 2. 2 hours already into the test and i have only gotten in 500ml. She then raised the rate to 810ml/hr and was able to get the 2 liters in 2 hours.

> > My question, 1. will that mess up effect the lab results and 2. will it effect the urine excretion amount since it was so slow at first, then really fast for the last 2 hours. My urine was 1.1L in the 4 hours of testing.

> >

> > It will take a week for the labs, but I just wanted to know your thoughts so I can be prepared should the results be indeterminate.

> >

> > Stacey- not dx'd yet. Pheo R/o. MRI of adrenals 1.5 years ago normal. Very Low Renin, normal aldo, ARR: 27. Hx of Low K+ 2.8-3.7, headache, new onset HBP, 3 meds with labile BP. High PTH, high bone ALK phos, need high doses of vit d and Magnesium to stay in normal range, Diet: salt under 1500 and K+ near 4700 with supplementation (feel better, but not myself). sx started 3 years ago: brain fog, fatigue, pain in joints and muscles, exercise intolerence, light headed, palpitations and above mentioned.

> >

> >

>

Did they do a 24 hr urine the day before the salinE?How much did you pee during the saline? What was the volume of urine u passed during the saline?Remember I always ask you to have them and u toMeasure this.So you have an early phase of PA in which your baseline renin is very low but Aldo is not. Reread my evolution article so u understand this. Have u taken to your endo yet. How does he explain the low K low renin and not low Aldo. As you will not all PA START off with suppressible Aldo. So what I would do would be to recommend you get someone to treat your HTN with either Spiro or eplere and check your urine Na and K to see if yU have room to work on the DASH yet?May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Feb 28, 2012, at 16:31, StaceyF <ssminnow@...> wrote:

Got my results back. Will not convince anyone that I have it now. My Renin was .23ng/ml/hr at 8 am and leads than .15 after the infusion. My aldosterone was 11.8 ng//dl and 3.1 after the infusion. Cortisol is 10.6 ug/dl at 8 am and 6.3 at 12:45 pm.

My potassium was 3.7 before and 3.6 after. I was doubling my k supp so 40 meq and drinking coconut water to get more k and still has such a low norm level. My sodium blood test was 138 before and 140 meq/ l. My chloride was borderline high at 109 meq/l. Co2 was low at 22 before and borderline low at 24 meq/l after. From what I read, these results exclude me from PA.

Any other suggestions. The doc who ordered the test can not see me for 2 months. Still off all BP meds and having trouble keeping my k up.

>

> > I went ahead and had the saline infusion test done but wondered if Dr. Grim could answer a question about it for me. I know you do not do it anymore, but I thought that since I do not intake much salt it would ensure I got enough to make the test more reliable. However, after taking 4 weeks to get the test done and today the infusion center had never done one. I brought up the protocol I got online for it and this helped them know what tubes to use for the lab draw and the positioning issues.

> > I slept for the first 2 hours then had to go to the bathroom. I did convince them to let me check my total urine eliminated. I saw that the iv had it at a rate of 250ml/hr at that time. I questioned the nurse and she looked back and said oh i thought it was only 1 liter not 2. 2 hours already into the test and i have only gotten in 500ml. She then raised the rate to 810ml/hr and was able to get the 2 liters in 2 hours.

> > My question, 1. will that mess up effect the lab results and 2. will it effect the urine excretion amount since it was so slow at first, then really fast for the last 2 hours. My urine was 1.1L in the 4 hours of testing.

> >

> > It will take a week for the labs, but I just wanted to know your thoughts so I can be prepared should the results be indeterminate.

> >

> > Stacey- not dx'd yet. Pheo R/o. MRI of adrenals 1.5 years ago normal. Very Low Renin, normal aldo, ARR: 27. Hx of Low K+ 2.8-3.7, headache, new onset HBP, 3 meds with labile BP. High PTH, high bone ALK phos, need high doses of vit d and Magnesium to stay in normal range, Diet: salt under 1500 and K+ near 4700 with supplementation (feel better, but not myself). sx started 3 years ago: brain fog, fatigue, pain in joints and muscles, exercise intolerence, light headed, palpitations and above mentioned.

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

On Feb 29, 2012, at 5:27 AM, StaceyF wrote: They did not do a 24 hour urine before the test. Had it checked in December. My K urine in Dec was 30mM/24 hour, aldo was 8.4 ug/24 and na was 168 when forcing myself to intake lots of sodium. Normally a 24 hour urine when I am not on a special diet na would be around 80, but K was not checked at that time. The K of 30 per 24 hr is low and either indicates that you are losing K from vomiting, sweat or diarrhea or diuretics or have not yet replenished your total body K. What was your blood K at the time. The volume of pee was 1.1L but they also messed up the test and ran .5 L the first 3 hours and then 1.5 L the last 2 hours. This was a mess up by the nurse and my vein blew and not sure how much went in. Arm swollen but not real bad. Would I have filtered more urine if It had not went in so fast the last 2 hours? Probably not. 1.1 L is a fair amount. Question is how much went into your arm and how much went into the vein and rapidly into your body. I was on Spiro for a couple months when my cardio put me on it but was only on 25mg daily and my bp was still a bit high. He did not want me to go higher. My k was only 3.8 and I still felt terrible. What do you suggest for a starting level of spiro to treat PA? I would start at 50 a day and work up every 1-2 weeks by 25 or 50 a day depending on how high the BP and low the K was. You can outsalt spiro so if you were not on a low sodium diet you may not have gotten the max benefit from the spiro. So far my doc does not explain my labs and can not see me for 2 months, so I am either stuck to wait or get my PCP to treat me for the HTN and I know he has no experience with this. Go to him today. You can always hire me as a consultant and I am available almost daily to you by phone or email. I did take the Evolution article to my endo and I will bring it to my PCP today. I get it, but it seems so far no docs I have dealt with do. I have been dash dieting but not following the sample diet exactly as much of what is there is not good to me. I do try and get the 1500 na and 4700 k in each day. Use coconut water to get the extra K. Thanks, Stacey- not dx'd yet. Pheo R/o. MRI of adrenals 1.5 years ago normal. Very Low Renin, normal aldo, ARR: 27. Hx of Low K+ 2.8-3.7, headache, new onset HBP, 3 meds with labile BP. High PTH, high bone ALK phos, need high doses of vit d and Magnesium to stay in normal range, Diet: salt under 1500 and K+ near 4700 with supplementation (feel better, but not myself). sx started 3 years ago: brain fog, fatigue, pain in joints and muscles, exercise intolerence, light headed, palpitations and above mentioned.Keep DASHing and ask them to check a spot urine for Na/K everytime they see you so they can give you feedback. > > > > > > > I went ahead and had the saline infusion test done but wondered if Dr. Grim could answer a question about it for me. I know you do not do it anymore, but I thought that since I do not intake much salt it would ensure I got enough to make the test more reliable. However, after taking 4 weeks to get the test done and today the infusion center had never done one. I brought up the protocol I got online for it and this helped them know what tubes to use for the lab draw and the positioning issues. > > > > I slept for the first 2 hours then had to go to the bathroom. I did convince them to let me check my total urine eliminated. I saw that the iv had it at a rate of 250ml/hr at that time. I questioned the nurse and she looked back and said oh i thought it was only 1 liter not 2. 2 hours already into the test and i have only gotten in 500ml. She then raised the rate to 810ml/hr and was able to get the 2 liters in 2 hours. > > > > My question, 1. will that mess up effect the lab results and 2. will it effect the urine excretion amount since it was so slow at first, then really fast for the last 2 hours. My urine was 1.1L in the 4 hours of testing. > > > > > > > > It will take a week for the labs, but I just wanted to know your thoughts so I can be prepared should the results be indeterminate. > > > > > > > > Stacey- not dx'd yet. Pheo R/o. MRI of adrenals 1.5 years ago normal. Very Low Renin, normal aldo, ARR: 27. Hx of Low K+ 2.8-3.7, headache, new onset HBP, 3 meds with labile BP. High PTH, high bone ALK phos, need high doses of vit d and Magnesium to stay in normal range, Diet: salt under 1500 and K+ near 4700 with supplementation (feel better, but not myself). sx started 3 years ago: brain fog, fatigue, pain in joints and muscles, exercise intolerence, light headed, palpitations and above mentioned. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

Ask your team to check your spot urine Na K and Creat. Then u and he can estimate your Na and K intake. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 2, 2012, at 15:59, StaceyF <ssminnow@...> wrote:

No vomit, diarrhea, or excess sweat. Ism cold all the time now. Under tons of blankets and my feet and hands are cold. Was not on diuretics at the time either. My serum K was 3.5. I am having trouble keeping K up even with diet and pill form. It's never gone past 3.8. Just started aldactone so I hope it brings it up. My aldactone dose before was only 25 mg and it did not really increase K to much. Now on 100 mg.

Stacey

> > > > >

> > > > > > I went ahead and had the saline infusion test done but

> > wondered if Dr. Grim could answer a question about it for me. I know

> > you do not do it anymore, but I thought that since I do not intake

> > much salt it would ensure I got enough to make the test more

> > reliable. However, after taking 4 weeks to get the test done and

> > today the infusion center had never done one. I brought up the

> > protocol I got online for it and this helped them know what tubes to

> > use for the lab draw and the positioning issues.

> > > > > > I slept for the first 2 hours then had to go to the

> > bathroom. I did convince them to let me check my total urine

> > eliminated. I saw that the iv had it at a rate of 250ml/hr at that

> > time. I questioned the nurse and she looked back and said oh i

> > thought it was only 1 liter not 2. 2 hours already into the test and

> > i have only gotten in 500ml. She then raised the rate to 810ml/hr

> > and was able to get the 2 liters in 2 hours.

> > > > > > My question, 1. will that mess up effect the lab results and

> > 2. will it effect the urine excretion amount since it was so slow at

> > first, then really fast for the last 2 hours. My urine was 1.1L in

> > the 4 hours of testing.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It will take a week for the labs, but I just wanted to know

> > your thoughts so I can be prepared should the results be

> > indeterminate.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Stacey- not dx'd yet. Pheo R/o. MRI of adrenals 1.5 years

> > ago normal. Very Low Renin, normal aldo, ARR: 27. Hx of Low K+

> > 2.8-3.7, headache, new onset HBP, 3 meds with labile BP. High PTH,

> > high bone ALK phos, need high doses of vit d and Magnesium to stay

> > in normal range, Diet: salt under 1500 and K+ near 4700 with

> > supplementation (feel better, but not myself). sx started 3 years

> > ago: brain fog, fatigue, pain in joints and muscles, exercise

> > intolerence, light headed, palpitations and above mentioned.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Depends on dose of spiro and K and what you need. What app so you use for the K. I use Loseit but it only does Na. ThanksCE Grim MDOn Mar 2, 2012, at 7:16 PM, StaceyF wrote: Ok, I will try to do that. I will have to see how you estimate that. When I go back for my check up with PCP, I will ask for this. I use a program on my iphone to calculate my k intake with food and then watch to see that I do not go over my na for the day. THen as I need more K, I use coconut water every day to give me more with very little sodium. More tasty than v8. Is it ok to stay on K and aldactone, pharmacy said I should not and cardiologist before told me I could not take both as they worry K could get high, just don't see that happening. Stacey > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I went ahead and had the saline infusion test done but > > > > wondered if Dr. Grim could answer a question about it for me. I know > > > > you do not do it anymore, but I thought that since I do not intake > > > > much salt it would ensure I got enough to make the test more > > > > reliable. However, after taking 4 weeks to get the test done and > > > > today the infusion center had never done one. I brought up the > > > > protocol I got online for it and this helped them know what tubes to > > > > use for the lab draw and the positioning issues. > > > > > > > > I slept for the first 2 hours then had to go to the > > > > bathroom. I did convince them to let me check my total urine > > > > eliminated. I saw that the iv had it at a rate of 250ml/hr at that > > > > time. I questioned the nurse and she looked back and said oh i > > > > thought it was only 1 liter not 2. 2 hours already into the test and > > > > i have only gotten in 500ml. She then raised the rate to 810ml/hr > > > > and was able to get the 2 liters in 2 hours. > > > > > > > > My question, 1. will that mess up effect the lab results and > > > > 2. will it effect the urine excretion amount since it was so slow at > > > > first, then really fast for the last 2 hours. My urine was 1.1L in > > > > the 4 hours of testing. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > It will take a week for the labs, but I just wanted to know > > > > your thoughts so I can be prepared should the results be > > > > indeterminate. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Stacey- not dx'd yet. Pheo R/o. MRI of adrenals 1.5 years > > > > ago normal. Very Low Renin, normal aldo, ARR: 27. Hx of Low K+ > > > > 2.8-3.7, headache, new onset HBP, 3 meds with labile BP. High PTH, > > > > high bone ALK phos, need high doses of vit d and Magnesium to stay > > > > in normal range, Diet: salt under 1500 and K+ near 4700 with > > > > supplementation (feel better, but not myself). sx started 3 years > > > > ago: brain fog, fatigue, pain in joints and muscles, exercise > > > > intolerence, light headed, palpitations and above mentioned. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

Depends on dose of spiro and K and what you need. What app so you use for the K. I use Loseit but it only does Na. ThanksCE Grim MDOn Mar 2, 2012, at 7:16 PM, StaceyF wrote: Ok, I will try to do that. I will have to see how you estimate that. When I go back for my check up with PCP, I will ask for this. I use a program on my iphone to calculate my k intake with food and then watch to see that I do not go over my na for the day. THen as I need more K, I use coconut water every day to give me more with very little sodium. More tasty than v8. Is it ok to stay on K and aldactone, pharmacy said I should not and cardiologist before told me I could not take both as they worry K could get high, just don't see that happening. Stacey > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I went ahead and had the saline infusion test done but > > > > wondered if Dr. Grim could answer a question about it for me. I know > > > > you do not do it anymore, but I thought that since I do not intake > > > > much salt it would ensure I got enough to make the test more > > > > reliable. However, after taking 4 weeks to get the test done and > > > > today the infusion center had never done one. I brought up the > > > > protocol I got online for it and this helped them know what tubes to > > > > use for the lab draw and the positioning issues. > > > > > > > > I slept for the first 2 hours then had to go to the > > > > bathroom. I did convince them to let me check my total urine > > > > eliminated. I saw that the iv had it at a rate of 250ml/hr at that > > > > time. I questioned the nurse and she looked back and said oh i > > > > thought it was only 1 liter not 2. 2 hours already into the test and > > > > i have only gotten in 500ml. She then raised the rate to 810ml/hr > > > > and was able to get the 2 liters in 2 hours. > > > > > > > > My question, 1. will that mess up effect the lab results and > > > > 2. will it effect the urine excretion amount since it was so slow at > > > > first, then really fast for the last 2 hours. My urine was 1.1L in > > > > the 4 hours of testing. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > It will take a week for the labs, but I just wanted to know > > > > your thoughts so I can be prepared should the results be > > > > indeterminate. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Stacey- not dx'd yet. Pheo R/o. MRI of adrenals 1.5 years > > > > ago normal. Very Low Renin, normal aldo, ARR: 27. Hx of Low K+ > > > > 2.8-3.7, headache, new onset HBP, 3 meds with labile BP. High PTH, > > > > high bone ALK phos, need high doses of vit d and Magnesium to stay > > > > in normal range, Diet: salt under 1500 and K+ near 4700 with > > > > supplementation (feel better, but not myself). sx started 3 years > > > > ago: brain fog, fatigue, pain in joints and muscles, exercise > > > > intolerence, light headed, palpitations and above mentioned. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

Cold all the time. Under tons of blankets with feet and hands cold. Have you been properly tested for hypothyroidism? That would be FREE T3, FREE T4 and TSH. Val From: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of StaceyFNo vomit, diarrhea, or excess sweat. Ism cold all the time now. Under tons of blankets and my feet and hands are cold. Was not on diuretics at the time either. My serum K was 3.5. I am having trouble keeping K up even with diet and pill form. It's never gone past 3.8. Just started aldactone so I hope it brings it up. My aldactone dose before was only 25 mg and it did not really increase K to much. Now on 100 mg.

Guest guest

Cold all the time. Under tons of blankets with feet and hands cold. Have you been properly tested for hypothyroidism? That would be FREE T3, FREE T4 and TSH. Val From: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of StaceyFNo vomit, diarrhea, or excess sweat. Ism cold all the time now. Under tons of blankets and my feet and hands are cold. Was not on diuretics at the time either. My serum K was 3.5. I am having trouble keeping K up even with diet and pill form. It's never gone past 3.8. Just started aldactone so I hope it brings it up. My aldactone dose before was only 25 mg and it did not really increase K to much. Now on 100 mg.

Guest guest

So not clear if you are still cold?May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 3, 2012, at 21:54, maggiekat7 <ljurkovic@...> wrote:

I have as of yet untreated PA, hypothyroidism that is medicated and managed ok, and have been freezing, cold feet, etc. of late. Found out that I had a systemic staph infection, running a low grade fever...after massive amounts of antibiotics, I am no longer cold.

>

> Cold all the time. Under tons of blankets with feet and hands cold. Have

> you been properly tested for hypothyroidism? That would be FREE T3, FREE T4

> and TSH.

>

> Val

>

> From: hyperaldosteronism

> [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of StaceyF

>

> No vomit, diarrhea, or excess sweat. Ism cold all the time now. Under tons

> of blankets and my feet and hands are cold. Was not on diuretics at the time

> either. My serum K was 3.5. I am having trouble keeping K up even with diet

> and pill form. It's never gone past 3.8. Just started aldactone so I hope it

> brings it up. My aldactone dose before was only 25 mg and it did not really

> increase K to much. Now on 100 mg.

>

Guest guest

So not clear if you are still cold?May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 3, 2012, at 21:54, maggiekat7 <ljurkovic@...> wrote:

I have as of yet untreated PA, hypothyroidism that is medicated and managed ok, and have been freezing, cold feet, etc. of late. Found out that I had a systemic staph infection, running a low grade fever...after massive amounts of antibiotics, I am no longer cold.

>

> and TSH.

>

> Val

>

>

>

Guest guest

Tell us how sepsis was diagnosed?May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 3, 2012, at 22:06, maggiekat7 <ljurkovic@...> wrote:

I was not only cold, with freezing cold feet, but would sweat (break fever) now and then, and was dragging, fatigued, etc. I am still dragging and fatiqued, probably due to fighting infection, all the antibiotics and dr. visits, but not everything can be blamed on PA. I was assuming all my symptoms were this since it's untreated and have read such wonderful stories of post treatment. I was at routine dermatology appt when they took my temperature, etc. Nobody else was checking my temp or WBC count, just my BP and K, etc. BP is still up and k is still down, renin still down, so all of that can be blamed on PA, but the rest, I won't know until I am fully recovered from the infection...which I had no idea I was dealing with...just thought I was cold and night sweating, dragging, etc....frustrated about all of this, finally relieved to be going to NIH and then nearly septic! Oh well, on the mend now and knock on wood, I hope that's it for a while!

> >

> > Cold all the time. Under tons of blankets with feet and hands cold. Have

> > you been properly tested for hypothyroidism? That would be FREE T3, FREE T4

> > and TSH.

> >

> > Val

> >

> > From: hyperaldosteronism

> > [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of StaceyF

> >

> > No vomit, diarrhea, or excess sweat. Ism cold all the time now. Under tons

> > of blankets and my feet and hands are cold. Was not on diuretics at the time

> > either. My serum K was 3.5. I am having trouble keeping K up even with diet

> > and pill form. It's never gone past 3.8. Just started aldactone so I hope it

> > brings it up. My aldactone dose before was only 25 mg and it did not really

> > increase K to much. Now on 100 mg.

> >

>

Guest guest

Regardless of how "low" my vit D has said it was before when I have tried to take vit D I kind of feel like you described. I don't know why, but I do not think I was D deficient. It seems every one is when they test it anymore and we have all discussed this many times on the list, but something still smells fishy about the tests we use, the range we use for normal, or something not right with the VIT D. Just my 2 cents

From: StaceyF <ssminnow@...>Subject: Re: Question about Saline Infusion Testhyperaldosteronism Date: Sunday, March 4, 2012, 6:50 PM

I am on 100 mg spiro and 20 meq K. I use my net diary. You can put in your own foods You usually eat and can include K amounts. Stacey > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > I went ahead and had the saline infusion test done but> > > > > > wondered if Dr. Grim could answer a question about it for > > me. I know> > > > > > you do not do it anymore, but I thought that since I do not > > intake> > > > > > much salt it would ensure I got enough to make the test more> > > > > > reliable. However, after taking 4 weeks to get the test done > > and> > > > > > today the infusion center

had never done one. I brought up the> > > > > > protocol I got online for it and this helped them know what > > tubes to> > > > > > use for the lab draw and the positioning issues.> > > > > > > > > > I slept for the first 2 hours then had to go to the> > > > > > bathroom. I did convince them to let me check my total urine> > > > > > eliminated. I saw that the iv had it at a rate of 250ml/hr > > at that> > > > > > time. I questioned the nurse and she looked back and said oh i> > > > > > thought it was only 1 liter not 2. 2 hours already into the > > test and> > > > > > i have only gotten in 500ml. She then raised the rate to > > 810ml/hr> > > > > > and was able to get the 2 liters in 2 hours.> >

> > > > > > > > My question, 1. will that mess up effect the lab > > results and> > > > > > 2. will it effect the urine excretion amount since it was so > > slow at> > > > > > first, then really fast for the last 2 hours. My urine was > > 1.1L in> > > > > > the 4 hours of testing.> > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > It will take a week for the labs, but I just wanted > > to know> > > > > > your thoughts so I can be prepared should the results be> > > > > > indeterminate.> > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > Stacey- not dx'd yet. Pheo R/o. MRI of adrenals 1.5 > > years> > > > > > ago normal. Very Low Renin, normal

aldo, ARR: 27. Hx of Low K+> > > > > > 2.8-3.7, headache, new onset HBP, 3 meds with labile BP. > > High PTH,> > > > > > high bone ALK phos, need high doses of vit d and Magnesium > > to stay> > > > > > in normal range, Diet: salt under 1500 and K+ near 4700 with> > > > > > supplementation (feel better, but not myself). sx started 3 > > years> > > > > > ago: brain fog, fatigue, pain in joints and muscles, exercise> > > > > > intolerence, light headed, palpitations and above mentioned.> > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > >> > > > >

>> > > > > >> > > > >> > > >> > > >> > >> >> >>

Guest guest

Regardless of how "low" my vit D has said it was before when I have tried to take vit D I kind of feel like you described. I don't know why, but I do not think I was D deficient. It seems every one is when they test it anymore and we have all discussed this many times on the list, but something still smells fishy about the tests we use, the range we use for normal, or something not right with the VIT D. Just my 2 cents

From: StaceyF <ssminnow@...>Subject: Re: Question about Saline Infusion Testhyperaldosteronism Date: Sunday, March 4, 2012, 6:50 PM

I am on 100 mg spiro and 20 meq K. I use my net diary. You can put in your own foods You usually eat and can include K amounts. Stacey > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > I went ahead and had the saline infusion test done but> > > > > > wondered if Dr. Grim could answer a question about it for > > me. I know> > > > > > you do not do it anymore, but I thought that since I do not > > intake> > > > > > much salt it would ensure I got enough to make the test more> > > > > > reliable. However, after taking 4 weeks to get the test done > > and> > > > > > today the infusion center

had never done one. I brought up the> > > > > > protocol I got online for it and this helped them know what > > tubes to> > > > > > use for the lab draw and the positioning issues.> > > > > > > > > > I slept for the first 2 hours then had to go to the> > > > > > bathroom. I did convince them to let me check my total urine> > > > > > eliminated. I saw that the iv had it at a rate of 250ml/hr > > at that> > > > > > time. I questioned the nurse and she looked back and said oh i> > > > > > thought it was only 1 liter not 2. 2 hours already into the > > test and> > > > > > i have only gotten in 500ml. She then raised the rate to > > 810ml/hr> > > > > > and was able to get the 2 liters in 2 hours.> >

> > > > > > > > My question, 1. will that mess up effect the lab > > results and> > > > > > 2. will it effect the urine excretion amount since it was so > > slow at> > > > > > first, then really fast for the last 2 hours. My urine was > > 1.1L in> > > > > > the 4 hours of testing.> > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > It will take a week for the labs, but I just wanted > > to know> > > > > > your thoughts so I can be prepared should the results be> > > > > > indeterminate.> > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > Stacey- not dx'd yet. Pheo R/o. MRI of adrenals 1.5 > > years> > > > > > ago normal. Very Low Renin, normal

aldo, ARR: 27. Hx of Low K+> > > > > > 2.8-3.7, headache, new onset HBP, 3 meds with labile BP. > > High PTH,> > > > > > high bone ALK phos, need high doses of vit d and Magnesium > > to stay> > > > > > in normal range, Diet: salt under 1500 and K+ near 4700 with> > > > > > supplementation (feel better, but not myself). sx started 3 > > years> > > > > > ago: brain fog, fatigue, pain in joints and muscles, exercise> > > > > > intolerence, light headed, palpitations and above mentioned.> > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > >> > > > >

>> > > > > >> > > > >> > > >> > > >> > >> >> >>

Guest guest

There is some issue with the interaction of 25 OH Vitamin D and 1,25 OH Vitamin D.  If the second is high, it means you're not converting to the first so taking more is not helpful.  That's my non-scientific understanding of it.  I have Lyme friends who cannot tolerate Vitamin D.  I take 5000 IU and do well with it.  My test level is about right where I want it.  There is lots of information at www.vitamindcouncil.com I've been scarce for the last three weeks.  I had my Lyme-ravaged knee replaced and rehabilitation is proving much more difficult than what I'd contemplated.  That knee was my very first symptom when I first got sick.  Lyme loves major joints  Regardless, I soon will be able to walk around the block.  That is my goal. Val From: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of BinghamRegardless of how " low " my vit D has said it was before when I have tried to take vit D I kind of feel like you described. I don't know why, but I do not think I was D deficient. It seems every one is when they test it anymore and we have all discussed this many times on the list, but something still smells fishy about the tests we use, the range we use for normal, or something not right with the VIT D. Just my 2 cents

Guest guest

There is some issue with the interaction of 25 OH Vitamin D and 1,25 OH Vitamin D.  If the second is high, it means you're not converting to the first so taking more is not helpful.  That's my non-scientific understanding of it.  I have Lyme friends who cannot tolerate Vitamin D.  I take 5000 IU and do well with it.  My test level is about right where I want it.  There is lots of information at www.vitamindcouncil.com I've been scarce for the last three weeks.  I had my Lyme-ravaged knee replaced and rehabilitation is proving much more difficult than what I'd contemplated.  That knee was my very first symptom when I first got sick.  Lyme loves major joints  Regardless, I soon will be able to walk around the block.  That is my goal. Val From: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of BinghamRegardless of how " low " my vit D has said it was before when I have tried to take vit D I kind of feel like you described. I don't know why, but I do not think I was D deficient. It seems every one is when they test it anymore and we have all discussed this many times on the list, but something still smells fishy about the tests we use, the range we use for normal, or something not right with the VIT D. Just my 2 cents

Guest guest

Stacey,I still have Babesiosis - sweats, chills, anxiety, occasional shortness of breath, fractured sleep. Babesiosis is a Lyme co-infection. I don't know if it is curable since I've had it so long. My blood pressure has been controlled with just 75 mg Inspra + Lyme treatment. TSH is accurate for me, but not for many. They need FREE T3 and FREE T4 to properly assess. My daughter-in-law is one whose TSH is always 2.3 even as her T4 and T3 were below the normal levels. Val From: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of StaceyFI have hypothyroid and had my dose adjusted months ago. Last labs were good with Tsh 1.7. So it is not that. Last year at this time in the cold spring I was dripping in sweat in 40 degree weather. I think it was one of the meds I was on though. >> Cold all the time. Under tons of blankets with feet and hands cold. Have> you been properly tested for hypothyroidism? That would be FREE T3, FREE T4> and TSH.

Guest guest

So I have to enter the foods and how much K is in them ?May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 4, 2012, at 18:50, StaceyF <ssminnow@...> wrote:

I am on 100 mg spiro and 20 meq K. I use my net diary. You can put in your own foods

You usually eat and can include K amounts.

Stacey

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > I went ahead and had the saline infusion test done but

> > > > > > wondered if Dr. Grim could answer a question about it for

> > me. I know

> > > > > > you do not do it anymore, but I thought that since I do not

> > intake

> > > > > > much salt it would ensure I got enough to make the test more

> > > > > > reliable. However, after taking 4 weeks to get the test done

> > and

> > > > > > today the infusion center had never done one. I brought up the

> > > > > > protocol I got online for it and this helped them know what

> > tubes to

> > > > > > use for the lab draw and the positioning issues.

> > > > > > > > > > I slept for the first 2 hours then had to go to the

> > > > > > bathroom. I did convince them to let me check my total urine

> > > > > > eliminated. I saw that the iv had it at a rate of 250ml/hr

> > at that

> > > > > > time. I questioned the nurse and she looked back and said oh i

> > > > > > thought it was only 1 liter not 2. 2 hours already into the

> > test and

> > > > > > i have only gotten in 500ml. She then raised the rate to

> > 810ml/hr

> > > > > > and was able to get the 2 liters in 2 hours.

> > > > > > > > > > My question, 1. will that mess up effect the lab

> > results and

> > > > > > 2. will it effect the urine excretion amount since it was so

> > slow at

> > > > > > first, then really fast for the last 2 hours. My urine was

> > 1.1L in

> > > > > > the 4 hours of testing.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

Guest guest

So I have to enter the foods and how much K is in them ?May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 4, 2012, at 18:50, StaceyF <ssminnow@...> wrote:

I am on 100 mg spiro and 20 meq K. I use my net diary. You can put in your own foods

You usually eat and can include K amounts.

Stacey

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > I went ahead and had the saline infusion test done but

> > > > > > wondered if Dr. Grim could answer a question about it for

> > me. I know

> > > > > > you do not do it anymore, but I thought that since I do not

> > intake

> > > > > > much salt it would ensure I got enough to make the test more

> > > > > > reliable. However, after taking 4 weeks to get the test done

> > and

> > > > > > today the infusion center had never done one. I brought up the

> > > > > > protocol I got online for it and this helped them know what

> > tubes to

> > > > > > use for the lab draw and the positioning issues.

> > > > > > > > > > I slept for the first 2 hours then had to go to the

> > > > > > bathroom. I did convince them to let me check my total urine

> > > > > > eliminated. I saw that the iv had it at a rate of 250ml/hr

> > at that

> > > > > > time. I questioned the nurse and she looked back and said oh i

> > > > > > thought it was only 1 liter not 2. 2 hours already into the

> > test and

> > > > > > i have only gotten in 500ml. She then raised the rate to

> > 810ml/hr

> > > > > > and was able to get the 2 liters in 2 hours.

> > > > > > > > > > My question, 1. will that mess up effect the lab

> > results and

> > > > > > 2. will it effect the urine excretion amount since it was so

> > slow at

> > > > > > first, then really fast for the last 2 hours. My urine was

> > 1.1L in

> > > > > > the 4 hours of testing.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

Guest guest

Neve tell us "one of the meds" tell us the meds and dose. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 4, 2012, at 18:53, StaceyF <ssminnow@...> wrote:

I have hypothyroid and had my dose adjusted months ago. Last labs were good with Tsh 1.7. So it is not that. Last year at this time in the cold spring I was dripping in sweat in 40 degree weather. I think it was one of the meds I was on though.

>

> and TSH.

>

> Val

>

>

>

Guest guest

Neve tell us "one of the meds" tell us the meds and dose. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 4, 2012, at 18:53, StaceyF <ssminnow@...> wrote:

I have hypothyroid and had my dose adjusted months ago. Last labs were good with Tsh 1.7. So it is not that. Last year at this time in the cold spring I was dripping in sweat in 40 degree weather. I think it was one of the meds I was on though.

>

> and TSH.

>

> Val

>

>

>

Guest guest

We have no trials yet that demonstrate that increasing Vit D with pills makes one live healthier or longer. Some are now in progress. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 4, 2012, at 19:06, Bingham <jlkbbk2003@...> wrote:

had never done one. I brought up the> > > > > > protocol I got online for it and this helped them know what > > tubes to> > > > > > use for the lab draw and the positioning issues.> > > > > > > > > > I slept for the first 2 hours then had to go to the> > > > > > bathroom. I did convince them to let me c

Guest guest

We have no trials yet that demonstrate that increasing Vit D with pills makes one live healthier or longer. Some are now in progress. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 4, 2012, at 19:06, Bingham <jlkbbk2003@...> wrote:

had never done one. I brought up the> > > > > > protocol I got online for it and this helped them know what > > tubes to> > > > > > use for the lab draw and the positioning issues.> > > > > > > > > > I slept for the first 2 hours then had to go to the> > > > > > bathroom. I did convince them to let me c

Guest guest

So does she have central hypothyroidism?May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 4, 2012, at 21:53, Valarie <val@...> wrote:

Stacey,I still have Babesiosis - sweats, chills, anxiety, occasional shortness of breath, fractured sleep. Babesiosis is a Lyme co-infection. I don't know if it is curable since I've had it so long. My blood pressure has been controlled with just 75 mg Inspra + Lyme treatment. TSH is accurate for me, but not for many. They need FREE T3 and FREE T4 to properly assess. My daughter-in-law is one whose TSH is always 2.3 even as her T4 and T3 were below the normal levels. Val From: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of StaceyFI have hypothyroid and had my dose adjusted months ago. Last labs were good with Tsh 1.7. So it is not that. Last year at this time in the cold spring I was dripping in sweat in 40 degree weather. I think it was one of the meds I was on though. >> Cold all the time. Under tons of blankets with feet and hands cold. Have> you been properly tested for hypothyroidism? That

would be FREE T3, FREE T4> and TSH.

Guest guest

So does she have central hypothyroidism?May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 4, 2012, at 21:53, Valarie <val@...> wrote:

Stacey,I still have Babesiosis - sweats, chills, anxiety, occasional shortness of breath, fractured sleep. Babesiosis is a Lyme co-infection. I don't know if it is curable since I've had it so long. My blood pressure has been controlled with just 75 mg Inspra + Lyme treatment. TSH is accurate for me, but not for many. They need FREE T3 and FREE T4 to properly assess. My daughter-in-law is one whose TSH is always 2.3 even as her T4 and T3 were below the normal levels. Val From: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of StaceyFI have hypothyroid and had my dose adjusted months ago. Last labs were good with Tsh 1.7. So it is not that. Last year at this time in the cold spring I was dripping in sweat in 40 degree weather. I think it was one of the meds I was on though. >> Cold all the time. Under tons of blankets with feet and hands cold. Have> you been properly tested for hypothyroidism? That

would be FREE T3, FREE T4> and TSH.

Guest guest

I think that generally, a constant TSH in the face of hypothyroidism, is indicative of a malfunctioning pituitary.  TSH, after all, doesn't measure actual thyroid hormone; it measures a pituitary  hormone.  I don't know what gives with my daughter-in-law's constant TSH along with hypothyroidism, but on a T4/T3 preparation, she's gone on to be a sponsored triathlete; last year representing Team USA in the world finals.  There was a time she was on the couch every day.  She is also Celiac but I don't know how that figures in. Val From: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of Clarence Grim So does she have central hypothyroidism?On Mar 4, 2012, at 21:53, Valarie <val@...> wrote:TSH is accurate for me, but not for many. They need FREE T3 and FREE T4 to properly assess. My daughter-in-law is one whose TSH is always 2.3 even as her T4 and T3 were below the normal levels. From: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of StaceyFI have hypothyroid and had my dose adjusted months ago. Last labs were good with Tsh 1.7. So it is not that. Last year at this time in the cold spring I was dripping in sweat in 40 degree weather. I think it was one of the meds I was on though.>> Cold all the time. Under tons of blankets with feet and hands cold . Have> you been properly tested for hypothyroidism? That would be FREE T3, FREE T4> and TSH.