RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Gluten Free Diet to help lower blood pressure?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

That's very interesting. I've been gluten free for over 20 yrs. Doesn't seem to have any effect on my BP. I'm going to start DASHing now but looking at the diet i only need to make a few tweaks to my current diet and perhaps reduce the portions/cals From: Vicki <vritchie147@...> hyperaldosteronism Sent: Wednesday, 15 February 2012, 19:02 Subject:

Re: Gluten Free Diet to help lower blood pressure?

Just an update...

I am still following a gluten free diet...it's been 8 months now. I have gained 15 pounds eating gluten free but my blood pressure is still down. I do not take Spiro anymore, I haven't since about a month after going gluten free. I do not Dash. The only meds I take now are synthroid and Cytomel for hyperthyroidism. I take vitamin D and a multi. Arthritis pain in back and hips is gone.

All my testing came back negative for Hyperaldosteronism. Crazy, since 2 years ago I was diagnosed by AVS. My endo at the cleveland clinic is stumped. I'm not complaining....but I did want to check in!

Take care!!

> > > > >

> > > > > > Hello everyone! I am looking for some guidance here...or maybe

> > > > some answers. I have hyperaldosteronism but was not a candidate for

> > > > surgery since both my adrenals produce too much aldosterone. I was

> > > > taking 100mg Spiro twice a day...morning and evening.

> > > > > > My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in June

> > > > and I follow the gluten free diet to support her. We have been

> > > > gluten free since June 9th. During the past 6 weeks or so I noticed

> > > > that I was getting dizzy and lightheadedness so I started checking

> > > > my bp more often. It was lower than normal so I cut back on my

> > > > evening spiro. I was still getting the same type of feelings and my

> > > > Bp was still on the lower end of normal so I stopped spiro

> > > > completely. My last dose was Aug. 31st. My bp has been great since

> > > > then. Is it possible to recover from hyperaldosteronism? Could the

> > > > GF diet be helping my bp stay down? My endocrinologist wants me to

> > > > have my renin Aldo blood work and 24 hour urine retested in 4 weeks

> > > > which I will do providing my bp doesn't go back up in the meantime.

> > > > Does anyoe have any thoughts on this?

> > > > > > BTW ~ my arthritis pain in my back and hips has been non

> > > > existent since starting the GF diet as well. I was tested for Celiac

> > > > Disease and I do not have it.

> > > > > > Could it be that the Spiro is still working? It's been 2 weeks....

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Thanks for any input you can give,

> > > > > > Vicki

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

Same for me. I suspected that I had gluten allergy, because my daughter has it. Had nothing to do with my BP. Natalia From: msmith_1928 <janeray1940@...> hyperaldosteronism Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:12 PM Subject: Re: Gluten Free Diet to help lower blood pressure?

Same here - gluten free since 1997 but it never had any impact on my BP. But then, I definitely did have PA prior to my adrenalectomy.

-msmith1928

Successful left laparoscopic adrenalectomy 10/13/11

> > > > > >

> > > > > > > Hello everyone! I am looking for some guidance here...or maybe

> > > > > some answers. I have hyperaldosteronism but was not a candidate for

> > > > > surgery since both my adrenals produce too much aldosterone. I was

> > > > > taking 100mg Spiro twice a day...morning and evening.

> > > > > > > My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in June

> > > > > and I follow the gluten free diet to support her. We have been

> > > > > gluten free since June 9th. During the past 6 weeks or so I noticed

> > > > > that I was getting dizzy and lightheadedness so I started checking

> > > > > my bp more often. It was lower than normal so I cut back on my

> > > > > evening spiro. I was still getting the same type of feelings and my

> > > > > Bp was still on the lower end of normal so I stopped spiro

> > > > > completely. My last dose was Aug. 31st. My bp has been great since

> > > > > then. Is it possible to recover from hyperaldosteronism? Could the

> > > > > GF diet be helping my bp stay down? My endocrinologist wants me to

> > > > > have my renin Aldo blood work and 24 hour urine retested in 4 weeks

> > > > > which I will do providing my bp doesn't go back up in the meantime.

> > > > > Does anyoe have any thoughts on this?

> > > > > > > BTW ~ my arthritis pain in my back and hips has been non

> > > > > existent since starting the GF diet as well. I was tested for Celiac

> > > > > Disease and I do not have it.

> > > > > > > Could it be that the Spiro is still working? It's been 2 weeks....

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Thanks for any input you can give,

> > > > > > > Vicki

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

Can you give us the details of each of your "testings". renin aldo diet, meds at each time.Something does not jive.CE Grim MDOn Feb 15, 2012, at 11:02 AM, Vicki wrote: Just an update... I am still following a gluten free diet...it's been 8 months now. I have gained 15 pounds eating gluten free but my blood pressure is still down. I do not take Spiro anymore, I haven't since about a month after going gluten free. I do not Dash. The only meds I take now are synthroid and Cytomel for hyperthyroidism. I take vitamin D and a multi. Arthritis pain in back and hips is gone. All my testing came back negative for Hyperaldosteronism. Crazy, since 2 years ago I was diagnosed by AVS. My endo at the cleveland clinic is stumped. I'm not complaining....but I did want to check in! Take care!! > > > > > > > > > > > Hello everyone! I am looking for some guidance here...or maybe > > > > some answers. I have hyperaldosteronism but was not a candidate for > > > > surgery since both my adrenals produce too much aldosterone. I was > > > > taking 100mg Spiro twice a day...morning and evening. > > > > > > My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in June > > > > and I follow the gluten free diet to support her. We have been > > > > gluten free since June 9th. During the past 6 weeks or so I noticed > > > > that I was getting dizzy and lightheadedness so I started checking > > > > my bp more often. It was lower than normal so I cut back on my > > > > evening spiro. I was still getting the same type of feelings and my > > > > Bp was still on the lower end of normal so I stopped spiro > > > > completely. My last dose was Aug. 31st. My bp has been great since > > > > then. Is it possible to recover from hyperaldosteronism? Could the > > > > GF diet be helping my bp stay down? My endocrinologist wants me to > > > > have my renin Aldo blood work and 24 hour urine retested in 4 weeks > > > > which I will do providing my bp doesn't go back up in the meantime. > > > > Does anyoe have any thoughts on this? > > > > > > BTW ~ my arthritis pain in my back and hips has been non > > > > existent since starting the GF diet as well. I was tested for Celiac > > > > Disease and I do not have it. > > > > > > Could it be that the Spiro is still working? It's been 2 weeks.... > > > > > > > > > > > > Thanks for any input you can give, > > > > > > Vicki > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Hmm so gluten free foods have little salt in them?On Feb 15, 2012, at 12:07 PM, Chambers wrote: That's very interesting. I've been gluten free for over 20 yrs. Doesn't seem to have any effect on my BP. I'm going to start DASHing now but looking at the diet i only need to make a few tweaks to my current diet and perhaps reduce the portions/cals From: Vicki <vritchie147@...> hyperaldosteronism Sent: Wednesday, 15 February 2012, 19:02 Subject: Re: Gluten Free Diet to help lower blood pressure? Just an update... I am still following a gluten free diet...it's been 8 months now. I have gained 15 pounds eating gluten free but my blood pressure is still down. I do not take Spiro anymore, I haven't since about a month after going gluten free. I do not Dash. The only meds I take now are synthroid and Cytomel for hyperthyroidism. I take vitamin D and a multi. Arthritis pain in back and hips is gone. All my testing came back negative for Hyperaldosteronism. Crazy, since 2 years ago I was diagnosed by AVS. My endo at the cleveland clinic is stumped. I'm not complaining....but I did want to check in! Take care!! > > > > > > > > > > > Hello everyone! I am looking for some guidance here...or maybe > > > > some answers. I have hyperaldosteronism but was not a candidate for > > > > surgery since both my adrenals produce too much aldosterone. I was > > > > taking 100mg Spiro twice a day...morning and evening. > > > > > > My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in June > > > > and I follow the gluten free diet to support her. We have been > > > > gluten free since June 9th. During the past 6 weeks or so I noticed > > > > that I was getting dizzy and lightheadedness so I started checking > > > > my bp more often. It was lower than normal so I cut back on my > > > > evening spiro. I was still getting the same type of feelings and my > > > > Bp was still on the lower end of normal so I stopped spiro > > > > completely. My last dose was Aug. 31st. My bp has been great since > > > > then. Is it possible to recover from hyperaldosteronism? Could the > > > > GF diet be helping my bp stay down? My endocrinologist wants me to > > > > have my renin Aldo blood work and 24 hour urine retested in 4 weeks > > > > which I will do providing my bp doesn't go back up in the meantime. > > > > Does anyoe have any thoughts on this? > > > > > > BTW ~ my arthritis pain in my back and hips has been non > > > > existent since starting the GF diet as well. I was tested for Celiac > > > > Disease and I do not have it. > > > > > > Could it be that the Spiro is still working? It's been 2 weeks.... > > > > > > > > > > > > Thanks for any input you can give, > > > > > > Vicki > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Did they knock out part of each gland with the AVS so you are cured. Curious./On Feb 15, 2012, at 1:32 PM, Vicki wrote: I wonder if the difference could be that I had bilateral hyperplasia. I don't know, but all my symptoms went away. No more potassium pills, no more spiro. I wish I knew someone out there in the same boat. I keep wondering if hyperaldosteronism is going to rear is ugly head again someday. It took 6 years to be diagnosed and many doctors. Finally a trip to the Cleveland clinic was the answer to my prayers. And then finding this group, and dr. Grim answered so many questions about blood results and urine results. I had it all like everyone else. Salt suppression test and finally AVS. BTW I was not diagnosed with Celiac disease. I am gluten free to support my 7 year old daughter who does have celiac disease. The blood pressure is just an added bonus. : ) > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Hello everyone! I am looking for some guidance here...or maybe > > > > > > some answers. I have hyperaldosteronism but was not a candidate for > > > > > > surgery since both my adrenals produce too much aldosterone. I was > > > > > > taking 100mg Spiro twice a day...morning and evening. > > > > > > > > My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in June > > > > > > and I follow the gluten free diet to support her. We have been > > > > > > gluten free since June 9th. During the past 6 weeks or so I noticed > > > > > > that I was getting dizzy and lightheadedness so I started checking > > > > > > my bp more often. It was lower than normal so I cut back on my > > > > > > evening spiro. I was still getting the same type of feelings and my > > > > > > Bp was still on the lower end of normal so I stopped spiro > > > > > > completely. My last dose was Aug. 31st. My bp has been great since > > > > > > then. Is it possible to recover from hyperaldosteronism? Could the > > > > > > GF diet be helping my bp stay down? My endocrinologist wants me to > > > > > > have my renin Aldo blood work and 24 hour urine retested in 4 weeks > > > > > > which I will do providing my bp doesn't go back up in the meantime. > > > > > > Does anyoe have any thoughts on this? > > > > > > > > BTW ~ my arthritis pain in my back and hips has been non > > > > > > existent since starting the GF diet as well. I was tested for Celiac > > > > > > Disease and I do not have it. > > > > > > > > Could it be that the Spiro is still working? It's been 2 weeks.... > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Thanks for any input you can give, > > > > > > > > Vicki > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Pre-packaged gluten free foods are high in salt, but i only cook and buy fresh foods, that way you're in control of adding salt. Rice cakes and corn cakes are very high in salt! If you buy gluten free flour and make your own bread, then there is not salt From: Clarence Grim <lowerbp2@...> hyperaldosteronism Cc: Clarence Grim <lowerbp2@...> Sent:

Thursday, 16 February 2012, 9:35 Subject: Re: Re: Gluten Free Diet to help lower blood pressure?

Hmm so gluten free foods have little salt in them?On Feb 15, 2012, at 12:07 PM, Chambers wrote: That's very interesting. I've been gluten free for over 20 yrs. Doesn't seem to have any effect on my BP. I'm going to start DASHing now but looking at the diet i only need to make a few tweaks to my current diet and perhaps reduce the portions/cals From: Vicki <vritchie147@...> hyperaldosteronism Sent: Wednesday, 15 February 2012, 19:02 Subject: Re: Gluten Free Diet to help lower blood pressure? Just an update... I am still following a gluten free diet...it's been 8 months now. I have gained 15 pounds eating gluten free but my blood

pressure is still down. I do not take Spiro anymore, I haven't since about a month after going gluten free. I do not Dash. The only meds I take now are synthroid and Cytomel for hyperthyroidism. I take vitamin D and a multi. Arthritis pain in back and hips is gone. All my testing came back negative for Hyperaldosteronism. Crazy, since 2 years ago I was diagnosed by AVS. My endo at the cleveland clinic is stumped. I'm not complaining....but I did want to check in! Take care!! > > > > > > > > > > > Hello everyone! I am looking for some guidance here...or maybe > > > > some answers. I have hyperaldosteronism but was not a candidate for > > > > surgery since both my adrenals produce too much aldosterone. I was > > > > taking 100mg Spiro twice a day...morning and evening. > > > > > > My 7 year old

daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in June > > > > and I follow the gluten free diet to support her. We have been > > > > gluten free since June 9th. During the past 6 weeks or so I noticed > > > > that I was getting dizzy and lightheadedness so I started checking > > > > my bp more often. It was lower than normal so I cut back on my > > > > evening spiro. I was still getting the same type of feelings and my > > > > Bp was still on the lower end of normal so I stopped spiro > > > > completely. My last dose was Aug. 31st. My bp has been great since > > > > then. Is it possible to recover from hyperaldosteronism? Could the > > > > GF diet be helping my bp stay down? My endocrinologist wants me to > > > > have my renin Aldo blood work and 24 hour urine retested in 4 weeks >

> > > which I will do providing my bp doesn't go back up in the meantime. > > > > Does anyoe have any thoughts on this? > > > > > > BTW ~ my arthritis pain in my back and hips has been non > > > > existent since starting the GF diet as well. I was tested for Celiac > > > > Disease and I do not have it. > > > > > > Could it be that the Spiro is still working? It's been 2 weeks.... > > > > > > > > > > > > Thanks for any input you can give, > > > > > > Vicki > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Looks like you still have PA to me. Just had an epiphany after reading a review of aldo with aging. As aldo goes down 50% waging we may need to lower the numbers in over 60 needed to Dx PA. No one seems to have age adjusted normal values. Maybe NIH does but doubt it. CE Grim MDOn Feb 16, 2012, at 6:03 AM, Vicki wrote: Yes I have 2 hemangiomas but they are fine... > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Hello everyone! I am looking for some guidance here...or > > > > maybe > > > > > > > > some answers. I have hyperaldosteronism but was not a > > > > candidate for > > > > > > > > surgery since both my adrenals produce too much aldosterone. > > > > I was > > > > > > > > taking 100mg Spiro twice a day...morning and evening. > > > > > > > > > > My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease > > > > in June > > > > > > > > and I follow the gluten free diet to support her. We have been > > > > > > > > gluten free since June 9th. During the past 6 weeks or so I > > > > noticed > > > > > > > > that I was getting dizzy and lightheadedness so I started > > > > checking > > > > > > > > my bp more often. It was lower than normal so I cut back on my > > > > > > > > evening spiro. I was still getting the same type of feelings > > > > and my > > > > > > > > Bp was still on the lower end of normal so I stopped spiro > > > > > > > > completely. My last dose was Aug. 31st. My bp has been great > > > > since > > > > > > > > then. Is it possible to recover from hyperaldosteronism? > > > > Could the > > > > > > > > GF diet be helping my bp stay down? My endocrinologist wants > > > > me to > > > > > > > > have my renin Aldo blood work and 24 hour urine retested in > > > > 4 weeks > > > > > > > > which I will do providing my bp doesn't go back up in the > > > > meantime. > > > > > > > > Does anyoe have any thoughts on this? > > > > > > > > > > BTW ~ my arthritis pain in my back and hips has been non > > > > > > > > existent since starting the GF diet as well. I was tested > > > > for Celiac > > > > > > > > Disease and I do not have it. > > > > > > > > > > Could it be that the Spiro is still working? It's been 2 > > > > weeks.... > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Thanks for any input you can give, > > > > > > > > > > Vicki > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

And are you DASHing?On Feb 16, 2012, at 8:20 AM, Vicki wrote: No pain with AVS. Very simple. Now I had that done at beginning of 2010. I was able to stop BP Meds in July of 2011. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Hello everyone! I am looking for some guidance > > > > here...or maybe > > > > > > > > > > some answers. I have hyperaldosteronism but was not a > > > > candidate for > > > > > > > > > > surgery since both my adrenals produce too much > > > > aldosterone. I was > > > > > > > > > > taking 100mg Spiro twice a day...morning and evening. > > > > > > > > > > > > My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with Celiac > > > > Disease in June > > > > > > > > > > and I follow the gluten free diet to support her. We > > > > have been > > > > > > > > > > gluten free since June 9th. During the past 6 weeks or > > > > so I noticed > > > > > > > > > > that I was getting dizzy and lightheadedness so I > > > > started checking > > > > > > > > > > my bp more often. It was lower than normal so I cut back > > > > on my > > > > > > > > > > evening spiro. I was still getting the same type of > > > > feelings and my > > > > > > > > > > Bp was still on the lower end of normal so I stopped spiro > > > > > > > > > > completely. My last dose was Aug. 31st. My bp has been > > > > great since > > > > > > > > > > then. Is it possible to recover from hyperaldosteronism? > > > > Could the > > > > > > > > > > GF diet be helping my bp stay down? My endocrinologist > > > > wants me to > > > > > > > > > > have my renin Aldo blood work and 24 hour urine retested > > > > in 4 weeks > > > > > > > > > > which I will do providing my bp doesn't go back up in > > > > the meantime. > > > > > > > > > > Does anyoe have any thoughts on this? > > > > > > > > > > > > BTW ~ my arthritis pain in my back and hips has been > > > > non > > > > > > > > > > existent since starting the GF diet as well. I was > > > > tested for Celiac > > > > > > > > > > Disease and I do not have it. > > > > > > > > > > > > Could it be that the Spiro is still working? It's > > > > been 2 weeks.... > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Thanks for any input you can give, > > > > > > > > > > > > Vicki > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

If you DASH you may not need meds. Excess aldo without excess Na means no HTN, no fibrosis of heart and kidney and blood vessels. CE Grim MDOn Feb 16, 2012, at 8:34 AM, Vicki wrote: PA without the need for bp Meds? I am 42 years old. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Hello everyone! I am looking for some guidance > > here...or > > > > > > maybe > > > > > > > > > > some answers. I have hyperaldosteronism but was not a > > > > > > candidate for > > > > > > > > > > surgery since both my adrenals produce too much > > aldosterone. > > > > > > I was > > > > > > > > > > taking 100mg Spiro twice a day...morning and evening. > > > > > > > > > > > > My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with Celiac > > Disease > > > > > > in June > > > > > > > > > > and I follow the gluten free diet to support her. We > > have been > > > > > > > > > > gluten free since June 9th. During the past 6 weeks > > or so I > > > > > > noticed > > > > > > > > > > that I was getting dizzy and lightheadedness so I > > started > > > > > > checking > > > > > > > > > > my bp more often. It was lower than normal so I cut > > back on my > > > > > > > > > > evening spiro. I was still getting the same type of > > feelings > > > > > > and my > > > > > > > > > > Bp was still on the lower end of normal so I stopped > > spiro > > > > > > > > > > completely. My last dose was Aug. 31st. My bp has > > been great > > > > > > since > > > > > > > > > > then. Is it possible to recover from > > hyperaldosteronism? > > > > > > Could the > > > > > > > > > > GF diet be helping my bp stay down? My > > endocrinologist wants > > > > > > me to > > > > > > > > > > have my renin Aldo blood work and 24 hour urine > > retested in > > > > > > 4 weeks > > > > > > > > > > which I will do providing my bp doesn't go back up > > in the > > > > > > meantime. > > > > > > > > > > Does anyoe have any thoughts on this? > > > > > > > > > > > > BTW ~ my arthritis pain in my back and hips has > > been non > > > > > > > > > > existent since starting the GF diet as well. I was > > tested > > > > > > for Celiac > > > > > > > > > > Disease and I do not have it. > > > > > > > > > > > > Could it be that the Spiro is still working? > > It's been 2 > > > > > > weeks.... > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Thanks for any input you can give, > > > > > > > > > > > > Vicki > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Then why is everything normal unless you are DASHing to the MAX. CE Grim MDOn Feb 16, 2012, at 1:52 AM, Vicki wrote: No, my adrenal glands were not knocked out. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Hello everyone! I am looking for some guidance > > here...or maybe > > > > > > > > some answers. I have hyperaldosteronism but was not a > > candidate for > > > > > > > > surgery since both my adrenals produce too much > > aldosterone. I was > > > > > > > > taking 100mg Spiro twice a day...morning and evening. > > > > > > > > > > My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with Celiac > > Disease in June > > > > > > > > and I follow the gluten free diet to support her. We > > have been > > > > > > > > gluten free since June 9th. During the past 6 weeks or > > so I noticed > > > > > > > > that I was getting dizzy and lightheadedness so I > > started checking > > > > > > > > my bp more often. It was lower than normal so I cut back > > on my > > > > > > > > evening spiro. I was still getting the same type of > > feelings and my > > > > > > > > Bp was still on the lower end of normal so I stopped spiro > > > > > > > > completely. My last dose was Aug. 31st. My bp has been > > great since > > > > > > > > then. Is it possible to recover from hyperaldosteronism? > > Could the > > > > > > > > GF diet be helping my bp stay down? My endocrinologist > > wants me to > > > > > > > > have my renin Aldo blood work and 24 hour urine retested > > in 4 weeks > > > > > > > > which I will do providing my bp doesn't go back up in > > the meantime. > > > > > > > > Does anyoe have any thoughts on this? > > > > > > > > > > BTW ~ my arthritis pain in my back and hips has been > > non > > > > > > > > existent since starting the GF diet as well. I was > > tested for Celiac > > > > > > > > Disease and I do not have it. > > > > > > > > > > Could it be that the Spiro is still working? It's > > been 2 weeks.... > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Thanks for any input you can give, > > > > > > > > > > Vicki > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Add your AVS numbers to our Report form in our files and I can look at it. CE Grim MDOn Feb 16, 2012, at 2:02 AM, Vicki wrote: These are the results of my testing plus bits of the original messages. I had to have the first set of renin and aldosterone done again because I was on the wrong kind of bp meds. thanks to you, I knew the results were incorrect and had to be redone. Sorry, its kind of a mess but I think you will be able to understand. I finally got my results back from my lab work that I had done earlier in the week. These were the second set of results that I have had as I was on an ace inhibitor when I had the first labs done. I will give you the results of both labs. > > Feb. 2, 2010 > aldosterone urine 28 ref range 2 - 21 > aldosterone serum 45.9 ref range upright 4.0-31.0 > renin 1.86 ref range upright 1.31-3.95 > > March 3, 2010 > Renin 0.27 ref range upright 1.31-3.95 > aldosterone serum 27.8 upright 4.0-31.0 I only have part of my labs back from my saline suppression test. I don't know if just the aldosterone levels are an indicator of anything on their own but here they are.... 1st 7.3 normal 4.5-35.4 2nd 9.3 3rd 10.0 Opps, I may have these wrong as I don't have the actual lab results in front of me. They were a verbal from docs office. the results of 10.0 may have been the first draw. 9.3 the second and 7.3 the third. On Mar 22, 2010 > I called my doctors office today to ask if he received my ct results yet and they put me on hold and got him for me. > He said my right adrenal gland is normal but there is "thickening" on my left gland. He scheduled me for avs and I will have that next tuesday. > He also told me that I have a 5cm lesion on my liver and I will need to see a liver doctor. > What does thickening mean? And does anyone else have lesions on their liver? I am not sure what to think.... These are the results I have from my AVS Cortisol Right 533 Left 211 Aldo Right 4348 Left 1841 > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Hello everyone! I am looking for some guidance here...or > > maybe > > > > > > some answers. I have hyperaldosteronism but was not a > > candidate for > > > > > > surgery since both my adrenals produce too much aldosterone. > > I was > > > > > > taking 100mg Spiro twice a day...morning and evening. > > > > > > > > My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease > > in June > > > > > > and I follow the gluten free diet to support her. We have been > > > > > > gluten free since June 9th. During the past 6 weeks or so I > > noticed > > > > > > that I was getting dizzy and lightheadedness so I started > > checking > > > > > > my bp more often. It was lower than normal so I cut back on my > > > > > > evening spiro. I was still getting the same type of feelings > > and my > > > > > > Bp was still on the lower end of normal so I stopped spiro > > > > > > completely. My last dose was Aug. 31st. My bp has been great > > since > > > > > > then. Is it possible to recover from hyperaldosteronism? > > Could the > > > > > > GF diet be helping my bp stay down? My endocrinologist wants > > me to > > > > > > have my renin Aldo blood work and 24 hour urine retested in > > 4 weeks > > > > > > which I will do providing my bp doesn't go back up in the > > meantime. > > > > > > Does anyoe have any thoughts on this? > > > > > > > > BTW ~ my arthritis pain in my back and hips has been non > > > > > > existent since starting the GF diet as well. I was tested > > for Celiac > > > > > > Disease and I do not have it. > > > > > > > > Could it be that the Spiro is still working? It's been 2 > > weeks.... > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Thanks for any input you can give, > > > > > > > > Vicki > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Recommend you get the iPhone app Loseit so you can track your Na. CE GrimMDOn Feb 15, 2012, at 6:44 PM, Vicki wrote: Interesting. Dr. Grim told me before that it is probably because I eat less salt and more potassium on the gluten free diet. I don't ever eat fast food anymore and I never salt my food at the table. As a matter of fact, I don't even use salt when I am cooking, just spices. It just is weird that no one else has lowered their BP by diet. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Hello everyone! I am looking for some guidance here...or maybe > > > > > > some answers. I have hyperaldosteronism but was not a candidate for > > > > > > surgery since both my adrenals produce too much aldosterone. I was > > > > > > taking 100mg Spiro twice a day...morning and evening. > > > > > > > > My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in June > > > > > > and I follow the gluten free diet to support her. We have been > > > > > > gluten free since June 9th. During the past 6 weeks or so I noticed > > > > > > that I was getting dizzy and lightheadedness so I started checking > > > > > > my bp more often. It was lower than normal so I cut back on my > > > > > > evening spiro. I was still getting the same type of feelings and my > > > > > > Bp was still on the lower end of normal so I stopped spiro > > > > > > completely. My last dose was Aug. 31st. My bp has been great since > > > > > > then. Is it possible to recover from hyperaldosteronism? Could the > > > > > > GF diet be helping my bp stay down? My endocrinologist wants me to > > > > > > have my renin Aldo blood work and 24 hour urine retested in 4 weeks > > > > > > which I will do providing my bp doesn't go back up in the meantime. > > > > > > Does anyoe have any thoughts on this? > > > > > > > > BTW ~ my arthritis pain in my back and hips has been non > > > > > > existent since starting the GF diet as well. I was tested for Celiac > > > > > > Disease and I do not have it. > > > > > > > > Could it be that the Spiro is still working? It's been 2 weeks.... > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Thanks for any input you can give, > > > > > > > > Vicki > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Have your Dr do a 24 hr urine for Na, K and creatinine to see how low your gluten free diet is in Na and how high it is in K. Or a spot urine to get an estimate.CE Grim MDOn Feb 16, 2012, at 11:09 PM, dianekaty wrote: I had been placed on a gluten free diet several years ago(to rule out Celiac's due to low iron & the fact my bp meds weren't working - my Rheumatologist<I have lupus, too> thought I wasn't absorbing my meds and that was why they weren't working), before dx of hyperaldostronism. My blood pressure also dropped not to normal but to almost normal levels and I followed the diet for about 2 1/2 years before finding out I had hypoaldosteronism (GRA). The kidney/hypertension doctor that dx me had me rechecked twice, after a gluten trial and ruled out Celiac's. At any rate, what we determined was that the gluten free diet was significantly lower in sodium. I was baking using sodium free baking powder, making all homemade baked goods, etc... and was eating out very little. I was very conscious of labels and made careful dietary choices. My other doctors and myself were convinced for years for that I had celiac's and that was lowering my bp, even though i had iron issues(which we now know are lupus related). After GRA diagnosis I began eating gluten and continue to bake, avoid salt, etc.. and there has been no change in bp control. I am not saying that in your case the gluten free diet isn't related, just wanted to let you know my experience and the gluten free diet connection. It may be something that your doctor investigate. You can always journal your sodium intake and see if there is a coorelation. Best of luck! Diane

Or you can buy some dipsticks that measure the chloride in your urine which tracks sodium chloride very well.CE Grim MDOn Feb 17, 2012, at 3:04 AM, Vicki wrote: yes, I am going to do that. I am curious now... > > > > > > > I had been placed on a gluten free diet several years ago(to rule > > out Celiac's due to low iron & the fact my bp meds weren't working - > > my Rheumatologist<I have lupus, too> thought I wasn't absorbing my > > meds and that was why they weren't working), before dx of > > hyperaldostronism. My blood pressure also dropped not to normal but > > to almost normal levels and I followed the diet for about 2 1/2 > > years before finding out I had hypoaldosteronism (GRA). The kidney/ > > hypertension doctor that dx me had me rechecked twice, after a > > gluten trial and ruled out Celiac's. At any rate, what we determined > > was that the gluten free diet was significantly lower in sodium. I > > was baking using sodium free baking powder, making all homemade > > baked goods, etc... and was eating out very little. I was very > > conscious of labels and made careful dietary choices. My other > > doctors and myself were convinced for years for that I had celiac's > > and that was lowering my bp, even though i had iron issues(which we > > now know are lupus related). After GRA diagnosis I began eating > > gluten and continue to bake, avoid salt, etc.. and there has been no > > change in bp control. I am not saying that in your case the gluten > > free diet isn't related, just wanted to let you know my experience > > and the gluten free diet connection. It may be something that your > > doctor investigate. You can always journal your sodium intake and > > see if there is a coorelation. Best of luck! Diane > > > > >

And u still have PA BUT seem to be controlling it by diet. Excellent. Do we have your complete story? Also do a thumbnail so I can meep u sera rate from the other 700+ we have here. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Feb 17, 2012, at 11:34, Vicki <vritchie147@...> wrote:

I did....about 3 months after stopping bp Meds.

Urine aldo 21.79 ref range 0-19

renin .55 Ref range 1.31-3.95

> > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > I had been placed on a gluten free diet several years ago(to rule

> > > > out Celiac's due to low iron & the fact my bp meds weren't working -

> > > > my Rheumatologist<I have lupus, too> thought I wasn't absorbing my

> > > > meds and that was why they weren't working), before dx of

> > > > hyperaldostronism. My blood pressure also dropped not to normal but

> > > > to almost normal levels and I followed the diet for about 2 1/2

> > > > years before finding out I had hypoaldosteronism (GRA). The kidney/

> > > > hypertension doctor that dx me had me rechecked twice, after a

> > > > gluten trial and ruled out Celiac's. At any rate, what we determined

> > > > was that the gluten free diet was significantly lower in sodium. I

> > > > was baking using sodium free baking powder, making all homemade

> > > > baked goods, etc... and was eating out very little. I was very

> > > > conscious of labels and made careful dietary choices. My other

> > > > doctors and myself were convinced for years for that I had celiac's

> > > > and that was lowering my bp, even though i had iron issues(which we

> > > > now know are lupus related). After GRA diagnosis I began eating

> > > > gluten and continue to bake, avoid salt, etc.. and there has been no

> > > > change in bp control. I am not saying that in your case the gluten

> > > > free diet isn't related, just wanted to let you know my experience

> > > > and the gluten free diet connection. It may be something that your

> > > > doctor investigate. You can always journal your sodium intake and

> > > > see if there is a coorelation. Best of luck! Diane

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Well then what is you sodium and potassium intake?C Grim MDOn Feb 17, 2012, at 10:35 AM, Vicki wrote: No, I am not dashing. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Hello everyone! I am looking for some guidance > > > > > > here...or maybe > > > > > > > > > > > > some answers. I have hyperaldosteronism but was > > not a > > > > > > candidate for > > > > > > > > > > > > surgery since both my adrenals produce too much > > > > > > aldosterone. I was > > > > > > > > > > > > taking 100mg Spiro twice a day...morning and > > evening. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with > > Celiac > > > > > > Disease in June > > > > > > > > > > > > and I follow the gluten free diet to support > > her. We > > > > > > have been > > > > > > > > > > > > gluten free since June 9th. During the past 6 > > weeks or > > > > > > so I noticed > > > > > > > > > > > > that I was getting dizzy and lightheadedness so I > > > > > > started checking > > > > > > > > > > > > my bp more often. It was lower than normal so I > > cut back > > > > > > on my > > > > > > > > > > > > evening spiro. I was still getting the same type > > of > > > > > > feelings and my > > > > > > > > > > > > Bp was still on the lower end of normal so I > > stopped spiro > > > > > > > > > > > > completely. My last dose was Aug. 31st. My bp > > has been > > > > > > great since > > > > > > > > > > > > then. Is it possible to recover from > > hyperaldosteronism? > > > > > > Could the > > > > > > > > > > > > GF diet be helping my bp stay down? My > > endocrinologist > > > > > > wants me to > > > > > > > > > > > > have my renin Aldo blood work and 24 hour urine > > retested > > > > > > in 4 weeks > > > > > > > > > > > > which I will do providing my bp doesn't go back > > up in > > > > > > the meantime. > > > > > > > > > > > > Does anyoe have any thoughts on this? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > BTW ~ my arthritis pain in my back and hips > > has been > > > > > > non > > > > > > > > > > > > existent since starting the GF diet as well. I was > > > > > > tested for Celiac > > > > > > > > > > > > Disease and I do not have it. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Could it be that the Spiro is still working? > > It's > > > > > > been 2 weeks.... > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Thanks for any input you can give, > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Vicki > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >