RemedySpot.com

Lab Testing Mix Up

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I wanted to let you all know the mix-up I've had, so that hopefully this won't happen to you.

While I usually go to a lab for 24h urine and blood draw, this time around the draw was offered to me at my new doctor's office. Since I had to go to an office visit anyways, thought it would save me time to turn in my urine jug to them, then do blood draw (and they understood the importance of no tourniquet - nice to have someone understand!). They said that they were having lab pick up that day too, so worked out nicely.

I don't know why, but my 24h urine was sent to Quest. My blood was sent to LabCorp. The tests to my 24h urine were aldosterone, creatinine, sodium, potassium. Tests to my blood were cbc, cmp, renin, aldosterone.

Unfortunately, LabCorp made an error and did not test for aldosterone (even though this is what my doctor ordered - I called lab and indeed they verified this is what he ordered). Instead they ran a test for aldolace. Even more unfortunate - this screwed up my results and now testing has to be done all over again.

In contacting LabCorp, they are looking into this, as I am asking for a refund. However, because urine was turned in to Quest, I cannot request refund on this part of the testing.

Because our deductible has not been met, the 24h urine charge is going to be about $330. Since the test will have to be repeated, we are now up to $660 for just the urine (not to mention cost on labs for blood).

Bottom line - make sure both your 24h urine and your blood go to the same lab. If there is an error, then it will be more easily adjusted (and less costly).