RemedySpot.com

Re: Post-Surgery Care - Response to Dr. Grim

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

As stated earlier, I gave you the short version of my medical history.

To respond to your comments, I must now expand my tale and go back to the early

1980's.

While in college, I began to experience episodes of low blood sugar to the point

of losing consciousness on several occasions. This was chalked up to being an

active young adult with a tendency to forget to eat. A change in diet and more

regular meal schedules resolved most of these issues. No testing was done at

this time other than regular blood panel.

At this time, I became careful with my diet adopting essentially a DASH diet.

Low sodium, low fat, lots of leafy greens, whole grains, no sodas, and rarely

fried foods despite being a Southerner. Almost all home cooked - Southern cooks

are good cooks because takeout isn't an option. I have maintained this way of

eating with few exceptions since. Having a family history of diabetes, heart

problems and neurological problems, this seemed to be the wisest path for me.

In 1990's I began to experience problems with depression and sought treatment.

Episodes of depression seemed to follow a pattern connected to my menstrual

cycle with each change in mood beginning premenstrual and continuing.

Medication would work for a while and then would stop. Each time a med change

was made I would gain at least ten pounds that could never be lost. As a result,

by 1995 I carried 70 extra pounds. However, my blood pressure was always a

perfect 120/80. In an effort, to lose the excess weight, I tweaked my diet to

make sure my calorie intake was between 1200-1500 calories daily and added

regular exercise. This was unsuccessful.

In 1998 due to construction at my work place, I experienced a six month time

period in which I saw my GP every 2 weeks due to upper respiratory irritation

and infections. Each time my BP was the perfect 120/80. After not seeing him

for 3 months, I went in to see him for another sinus problem, accompanied by

extreme fatigue and headache. This time my BP was averaged after several

readings to 180/110. My GP had me come in daily for 2 weeks in order to monitor

my blood pressure and adjust medication to bring it down. Having little success

and noting the sudden onset of the hypertension, my GP referred me to an

internist. K levels at this time were within the normal range.

Having done some research into the causes of sudden onset hypertension, I noted

that some of my symptoms/characteristics fell into symptoms of overproduction of

cortisol or aldosterone - sudden weight gain that cannot be lost despite diet

and exercise, trunkal obesity and moon face( I look like a barrel on legs,

blood sugar fluctuations, fatigue, whiskers growing on my chin, High cholesterol

and most importantly the sudden onset of the hypertension. Also factored in was

the observation by my psychiatrist that changes in my depression - for better or

worse-always mirrored a the normal fluctuation of hormones during my menstrual

cycle.

While the internist did not like my request to investigate cortisol /aldosterone

beyond initial screening, he did send me for an MRI of my head (based on

headaches) and to a sleep lab (the local hospital and just installed a sleep

lab). By that time, my blood pressure was stable and I was sent away with a

bipap machine (wall rattling snorer since childhood), a prescription for coregg

and a 6 month follow-up appointment.

Until 2006, I would experience periods of unstable blood pressure, fatigue and

weakness. By the time I was able to get an appointment with the Dr. the

symptoms had resolved themselves and and he would look at me like I was nuts. K

was occasionally on the low side of normal and he suggested supplements.

In 2006, I began to experience left flank pain along with the episodes of

unstable blood pressure, fatigue and weakness. At that time I was being

extremely strict with the DASH diet, walking 3 miles a day and doing yoga

several times a week. I went to a new internist who found the adrenal adenoma

and referred me to the 1st endo for evaluation.

In 2009 I lost my job and insurance and by the time I was able to get to my

internist again in 2010 my heart was so damaged that I was near death. (I had

been having chest pain for 3 months. However since I also have a condition

called nutcracker esophagus, the symptoms of which mimic a heart attack, I

disregarded the urgency.)

Following the CABG, I was recovering well and undergoing cardiac rehab. After

about 2 weeks I was doing well gaining strength, stable blood pressure, good

hearth rate, and dramatically improving every session. The next session every

thing went south, and I collapsed. Blood pressure became erratic, heart rate

elevated with any slight effort and blood sugars began to fluctuate - it was as

if a switch flipped and I had the data to prove it. I also completed rehab 20

lbs heavier - which was later shown to be upper body fluid.

In July 2010, Spiro was added to the med mix but had four/five episodes of

weakness, fatigue, fluctuating blood pressure and rapid heart rate - these

lasted anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks. My last episode began Mid December 2011 and

continues to this day.

I have done so many 24 hr urines and blood tests since 2006 but never was I

taken off meds and never were the blood draws performed on the same date as the

24hr urines. K levels fluctuated sometimes within normal range and other times

being low. Currently K is on the low side of normal. Through a great deal of

trial an error, we've found that the Bystolic and Dioxin keep the blood pressure

and heart rate relatively stable without crashing it too low. The Byetta keeps

my blood sugar level throughout the day - rather than crashing very low 1-2 hrs

after eating.

I have been checked for renal artery stenosis and have been found to be clear.

Structurally my heart is now sound and hopefully with the upcoming adrenalectomy

these symptoms will stop or at least get to the point where they are controlled

by meds and I can have a life.

I hope this answered most of your questions - essentially I've spent my life

eating a healthy diet, exercising and doing all the right things - ended up

overweight and nearly dead at 47 - still trying to find answers.

I'll get lab results to you as soon as I can - maybe they will help someone

else.

Guest guest

Did BP OR k get better after CPAP?Are you difficult to draw blood from? And does your lab follow the guidelines to get g aReliable K? See our files. Did the person taking your.BPs change oR DID THE office change it's BP DEVICE OR PROTOCOL If most of your prior BPs were really recorded as 120/80 there is likely a problem with the person doing BP. Read our Consumer's guide to good BP.As your weight went up did they start to use a large BP CUFF? If you failed to lose weight on a 1500 calorie a day diet you most likely had a faulty calorie counter. Or your team needs to write u up as the first person ever known who did not lose weight on 1500 calories a day. Well use you are only 3 feet tall. ;-)AWould need to see all labs and normal values and meds u were on when each thing you were tested. What has all of the Urines for Na And K been?May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 15, 2012, at 18:34, "lk.barns" <lk.barns@...> wrote:

To respond to your comments, I must now expand my tale and go back to the early 1980's.

While in college, I began to experience episodes of low blood sugar to the point of losing consciousness on several occasions. This was chalked up to being an active young adult with a tendency to forget to eat. A change in diet and more regular meal schedules resolved most of these issues. No testing was done at this time other than regular blood panel.

At this time, I became careful with my diet adopting essentially a DASH diet. Low sodium, low fat, lots of leafy greens, whole grains, no sodas, and rarely fried foods despite being a Southerner. Almost all home cooked - Southern cooks are good cooks because takeout isn't an option. I have maintained this way of eating with few exceptions since. Having a family history of diabetes, heart problems and neurological problems, this seemed to be the wisest path for me.

In 1990's I began to experience problems with depression and sought treatment. Episodes of depression seemed to follow a pattern connected to my menstrual cycle with each change in mood beginning premenstrual and continuing. Medication would work for a while and then would stop. Each time a med change was made I would gain at least ten pounds that could never be lost. As a result, by 1995 I carried 70 extra pounds. However, my blood pressure was always a perfect 120/80. In an effort, to lose the excess weight, I tweaked my diet to make sure my calorie intake was between 1200-1500 calories daily and added regular exercise. This was unsuccessful.

In 1998 due to construction at my work place, I experienced a six month time period in which I saw my GP every 2 weeks due to upper respiratory irritation and infections. Each time my BP was the perfect 120/80. After not seeing him for 3 months, I went in to see him for another sinus problem, accompanied by extreme fatigue and headache. This time my BP was averaged after several readings to 180/110. My GP had me come in daily for 2 weeks in order to monitor my blood pressure and adjust medication to bring it down. Having little success and noting the sudden onset of the hypertension, my GP referred me to an internist. K levels at this time were within the normal range.

Having done some research into the causes of sudden onset hypertension, I noted that some of my symptoms/characteristics fell into symptoms of overproduction of cortisol or aldosterone - sudden weight gain that cannot be lost despite diet and exercise, trunkal obesity and moon face( I look like a barrel on legs, blood sugar fluctuations, fatigue, whiskers growing on my chin, High cholesterol and most importantly the sudden onset of the hypertension. Also factored in was the observation by my psychiatrist that changes in my depression - for better or worse-always mirrored a the normal fluctuation of hormones during my menstrual cycle.

While the internist did not like my request to investigate cortisol /aldosterone beyond initial screening, he did send me for an MRI of my head (based on headaches) and to a sleep lab (the local hospital and just installed a sleep lab). By that time, my blood pressure was stable and I was sent away with a bipap machine (wall rattling snorer since childhood), a prescription for coregg and a 6 month follow-up appointment.

Until 2006, I would experience periods of unstable blood pressure, fatigue and weakness. By the time I was able to get an appointment with the Dr. the symptoms had resolved themselves and and he would look at me like I was nuts. K was occasionally on the low side of normal and he suggested supplements.

In 2006, I began to experience left flank pain along with the episodes of unstable blood pressure, fatigue and weakness. At that time I was being extremely strict with the DASH diet, walking 3 miles a day and doing yoga several times a week. I went to a new internist who found the adrenal adenoma and referred me to the 1st endo for evaluation.

In 2009 I lost my job and insurance and by the time I was able to get to my internist again in 2010 my heart was so damaged that I was near death. (I had been having chest pain for 3 months. However since I also have a condition called nutcracker esophagus, the symptoms of which mimic a heart attack, I disregarded the urgency.)

Following the CABG, I was recovering well and undergoing cardiac rehab. After about 2 weeks I was doing well gaining strength, stable blood pressure, good hearth rate, and dramatically improving every session. The next session every thing went south, and I collapsed. Blood pressure became erratic, heart rate elevated with any slight effort and blood sugars began to fluctuate - it was as if a switch flipped and I had the data to prove it. I also completed rehab 20 lbs heavier - which was later shown to be upper body fluid.

In July 2010, Spiro was added to the med mix but had four/five episodes of weakness, fatigue, fluctuating blood pressure and rapid heart rate - these lasted anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks. My last episode began Mid December 2011 and continues to this day.

I have done so many 24 hr urines and blood tests since 2006 but never was I taken off meds and never were the blood draws performed on the same date as the 24hr urines. K levels fluctuated sometimes within normal range and other times being low. Currently K is on the low side of normal. Through a great deal of trial an error, we've found that the Bystolic and Dioxin keep the blood pressure and heart rate relatively stable without crashing it too low. The Byetta keeps my blood sugar level throughout the day - rather than crashing very low 1-2 hrs after eating.

I have been checked for renal artery stenosis and have been found to be clear. Structurally my heart is now sound and hopefully with the upcoming adrenalectomy these symptoms will stop or at least get to the point where they are controlled by meds and I can have a life.

I hope this answered most of your questions - essentially I've spent my life eating a healthy diet, exercising and doing all the right things - ended up overweight and nearly dead at 47 - still trying to find answers.

I'll get lab results to you as soon as I can - maybe they will help someone else.

Guest guest

Sorry I did for got about the Spiro u are on. But need to know how much and how much do u weigh now?Is BP the same in both arms. I think I asked this before. Licorice?Any BCPs Yasmine etc. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 15, 2012, at 18:34, "lk.barns" <lk.barns@...> wrote:

To respond to your comments, I must now expand my tale and go back to the early 1980's.

While in college, I began to experience episodes of low blood sugar to the point of losing consciousness on several occasions. This was chalked up to being an active young adult with a tendency to forget to eat. A change in diet and more regular meal schedules resolved most of these issues. No testing was done at this time other than regular blood panel.

At this time, I became careful with my diet adopting essentially a DASH diet. Low sodium, low fat, lots of leafy greens, whole grains, no sodas, and rarely fried foods despite being a Southerner. Almost all home cooked - Southern cooks are good cooks because takeout isn't an option. I have maintained this way of eating with few exceptions since. Having a family history of diabetes, heart problems and neurological problems, this seemed to be the wisest path for me.

In 1990's I began to experience problems with depression and sought treatment. Episodes of depression seemed to follow a pattern connected to my menstrual cycle with each change in mood beginning premenstrual and continuing. Medication would work for a while and then would stop. Each time a med change was made I would gain at least ten pounds that could never be lost. As a result, by 1995 I carried 70 extra pounds. However, my blood pressure was always a perfect 120/80. In an effort, to lose the excess weight, I tweaked my diet to make sure my calorie intake was between 1200-1500 calories daily and added regular exercise. This was unsuccessful.

In 1998 due to construction at my work place, I experienced a six month time period in which I saw my GP every 2 weeks due to upper respiratory irritation and infections. Each time my BP was the perfect 120/80. After not seeing him for 3 months, I went in to see him for another sinus problem, accompanied by extreme fatigue and headache. This time my BP was averaged after several readings to 180/110. My GP had me come in daily for 2 weeks in order to monitor my blood pressure and adjust medication to bring it down. Having little success and noting the sudden onset of the hypertension, my GP referred me to an internist. K levels at this time were within the normal range.

Having done some research into the causes of sudden onset hypertension, I noted that some of my symptoms/characteristics fell into symptoms of overproduction of cortisol or aldosterone - sudden weight gain that cannot be lost despite diet and exercise, trunkal obesity and moon face( I look like a barrel on legs, blood sugar fluctuations, fatigue, whiskers growing on my chin, High cholesterol and most importantly the sudden onset of the hypertension. Also factored in was the observation by my psychiatrist that changes in my depression - for better or worse-always mirrored a the normal fluctuation of hormones during my menstrual cycle.

While the internist did not like my request to investigate cortisol /aldosterone beyond initial screening, he did send me for an MRI of my head (based on headaches) and to a sleep lab (the local hospital and just installed a sleep lab). By that time, my blood pressure was stable and I was sent away with a bipap machine (wall rattling snorer since childhood), a prescription for coregg and a 6 month follow-up appointment.

Until 2006, I would experience periods of unstable blood pressure, fatigue and weakness. By the time I was able to get an appointment with the Dr. the symptoms had resolved themselves and and he would look at me like I was nuts. K was occasionally on the low side of normal and he suggested supplements.

In 2006, I began to experience left flank pain along with the episodes of unstable blood pressure, fatigue and weakness. At that time I was being extremely strict with the DASH diet, walking 3 miles a day and doing yoga several times a week. I went to a new internist who found the adrenal adenoma and referred me to the 1st endo for evaluation.

In 2009 I lost my job and insurance and by the time I was able to get to my internist again in 2010 my heart was so damaged that I was near death. (I had been having chest pain for 3 months. However since I also have a condition called nutcracker esophagus, the symptoms of which mimic a heart attack, I disregarded the urgency.)

Following the CABG, I was recovering well and undergoing cardiac rehab. After about 2 weeks I was doing well gaining strength, stable blood pressure, good hearth rate, and dramatically improving every session. The next session every thing went south, and I collapsed. Blood pressure became erratic, heart rate elevated with any slight effort and blood sugars began to fluctuate - it was as if a switch flipped and I had the data to prove it. I also completed rehab 20 lbs heavier - which was later shown to be upper body fluid.

In July 2010, Spiro was added to the med mix but had four/five episodes of weakness, fatigue, fluctuating blood pressure and rapid heart rate - these lasted anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks. My last episode began Mid December 2011 and continues to this day.

I have done so many 24 hr urines and blood tests since 2006 but never was I taken off meds and never were the blood draws performed on the same date as the 24hr urines. K levels fluctuated sometimes within normal range and other times being low. Currently K is on the low side of normal. Through a great deal of trial an error, we've found that the Bystolic and Dioxin keep the blood pressure and heart rate relatively stable without crashing it too low. The Byetta keeps my blood sugar level throughout the day - rather than crashing very low 1-2 hrs after eating.

I have been checked for renal artery stenosis and have been found to be clear. Structurally my heart is now sound and hopefully with the upcoming adrenalectomy these symptoms will stop or at least get to the point where they are controlled by meds and I can have a life.

I hope this answered most of your questions - essentially I've spent my life eating a healthy diet, exercising and doing all the right things - ended up overweight and nearly dead at 47 - still trying to find answers.

I'll get lab results to you as soon as I can - maybe they will help someone else.

Guest guest

As I said u cannot give me too much information. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 15, 2012, at 18:34, "lk.barns" <lk.barns@...> wrote:

Guest guest

How did they test for renal artery stenosis? Moon face is most likey cushings.

Some have both PA and cushings. Can be one side makes to much aldo ane other

side makes to much cortisol.

>

> As stated earlier, I gave you the short version of my medical history.

> To respond to your comments, I must now expand my tale and go back to the

early 1980's.

> While in college, I began to experience episodes of low blood sugar to the

point of losing consciousness on several occasions. This was chalked up to

being an active young adult with a tendency to forget to eat. A change in diet

and more regular meal schedules resolved most of these issues. No testing was

done at this time other than regular blood panel.

> At this time, I became careful with my diet adopting essentially a DASH diet.

Low sodium, low fat, lots of leafy greens, whole grains, no sodas, and rarely

fried foods despite being a Southerner. Almost all home cooked - Southern cooks

are good cooks because takeout isn't an option. I have maintained this way of

eating with few exceptions since. Having a family history of diabetes, heart

problems and neurological problems, this seemed to be the wisest path for me.

> In 1990's I began to experience problems with depression and sought treatment.

Episodes of depression seemed to follow a pattern connected to my menstrual

cycle with each change in mood beginning premenstrual and continuing.

was made I would gain at least ten pounds that could never be lost. As a result,

> In 1998 due to construction at my work place, I experienced a six month time

> Having done some research into the causes of sudden onset hypertension, I

noted that some of my symptoms/characteristics fell into symptoms of

overproduction of cortisol or aldosterone - sudden weight gain that cannot be

lost despite diet and exercise, trunkal obesity and moon face( I look like a

barrel on legs, blood sugar fluctuations, fatigue, whiskers growing on my chin,

High cholesterol and most importantly the sudden onset of the hypertension.

Also factored in was the observation by my psychiatrist that changes in my

depression - for better or worse-always mirrored a the normal fluctuation of

hormones during my menstrual cycle.

> While the internist did not like my request to investigate cortisol

/aldosterone beyond initial screening, he did send me for an MRI of my head

(based on headaches) and to a sleep lab (the local hospital and just installed a

sleep lab). By that time, my blood pressure was stable and I was sent away with

a bipap machine (wall rattling snorer since childhood), a prescription for

coregg and a 6 month follow-up appointment.

> Until 2006, I would experience periods of unstable blood pressure, fatigue and

weakness. By the time I was able to get an appointment with the Dr. the

> In 2006, I began to experience left flank pain along with the episodes of

>

> In 2009 I lost my job and insurance and by the time I was able to get to my

> Following the CABG, I was recovering well and undergoing cardiac rehab. After

about 2 weeks I was doing well gaining strength, stable blood pressure, good

hearth rate, and dramatically improving every session. The next session every

thing went south, and I collapsed. Blood pressure became erratic, heart rate

elevated with any slight effort and blood sugars began to fluctuate - it was as

if a switch flipped and I had the data to prove it. I also completed rehab 20

lbs heavier - which was later shown to be upper body fluid.

> In July 2010, Spiro was added to the med mix but had four/five episodes of

continues to this day.

>

> I have done so many 24 hr urines and blood tests since 2006 but never was I

trial an error, we've found that the Bystolic and Dioxin keep the blood pressure

after eating.

>

> I have been checked for renal artery stenosis and have been found to be clear.

Structurally my heart is now sound and hopefully with the upcoming adrenalectomy

these symptoms will stop or at least get to the point where they are controlled

by meds and I can have a life.

>

> I hope this answered most of your questions - essentially I've spent my life

>

> I'll get lab results to you as soon as I can - maybe they will help someone

else.

>

Guest guest

I am 4'10 " .  I weighed 96 pounds after having five children.  When I got sick, my thyroid quit for nine years before my doctor " noticed. "   By then, I had gained 74 pounds.  I did experiments during that time.  Once, I lifted weights three times a week and ran/walked six days a week.  I kept my calories between 800 - 1,000 calories a day.  After five months, I lost 1/2 pound.  After a few months of antibiotic Lyme treatment, I've lost 40 pounds so far.  To mock people like , who obviously knows how to read a scale and count calories, is a disservice to all of us here but a treatment to which we've all become accustomed. Val From: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of Clarence Grim If you failed to lose weight on a 1500 calorie a day diet you most likely had a faulty calorie counter. Or your team needs to write u up as the first person ever known who did not lose weight on 1500 calories a day. Well use you are only 3 feet tall. ;-) On Mar 15, 2012, at 18:34, " lk.barns " <lk.barns@...> wrote: Each time a med change was made I would gain at least ten pounds that could never be lost. As a result, by 1995 I carried 70 extra pounds. .

Guest guest

Renal Arteriogram and blood tests - done during first episode of symptoms after

heart surgery - seemed the most likely answer to the uncontrollable blood

pressure based on my level of heart disease - I show elevated cortisol and

aldosterone levels only on the left - thank goodness

> >

> > As stated earlier, I gave you the short version of my medical history.

> > To respond to your comments, I must now expand my tale and go back to the

early 1980's.

> > While in college, I began to experience episodes of low blood sugar to the

point of losing consciousness on several occasions. This was chalked up to

being an active young adult with a tendency to forget to eat. A change in diet

and more regular meal schedules resolved most of these issues. No testing was

done at this time other than regular blood panel.

> > At this time, I became careful with my diet adopting essentially a DASH

diet. Low sodium, low fat, lots of leafy greens, whole grains, no sodas, and

rarely fried foods despite being a Southerner. Almost all home cooked - Southern

cooks are good cooks because takeout isn't an option. I have maintained this

way of eating with few exceptions since. Having a family history of diabetes,

heart problems and neurological problems, this seemed to be the wisest path for

me.

> > In 1990's I began to experience problems with depression and sought

treatment. Episodes of depression seemed to follow a pattern connected to my

menstrual cycle with each change in mood beginning premenstrual and continuing.

> > In 1998 due to construction at my work place, I experienced a six month time

> > Having done some research into the causes of sudden onset hypertension, I

noted that some of my symptoms/characteristics fell into symptoms of

overproduction of cortisol or aldosterone - sudden weight gain that cannot be

lost despite diet and exercise, trunkal obesity and moon face( I look like a

barrel on legs, blood sugar fluctuations, fatigue, whiskers growing on my chin,

High cholesterol and most importantly the sudden onset of the hypertension.

Also factored in was the observation by my psychiatrist that changes in my

depression - for better or worse-always mirrored a the normal fluctuation of

hormones during my menstrual cycle.

> > While the internist did not like my request to investigate cortisol

/aldosterone beyond initial screening, he did send me for an MRI of my head

(based on headaches) and to a sleep lab (the local hospital and just installed a

sleep lab). By that time, my blood pressure was stable and I was sent away with

a bipap machine (wall rattling snorer since childhood), a prescription for

coregg and a 6 month follow-up appointment.

> > Until 2006, I would experience periods of unstable blood pressure, fatigue

and weakness. By the time I was able to get an appointment with the Dr. the

> > In 2006, I began to experience left flank pain along with the episodes of

> >

> > In 2009 I lost my job and insurance and by the time I was able to get to my

> > Following the CABG, I was recovering well and undergoing cardiac rehab.

After about 2 weeks I was doing well gaining strength, stable blood pressure,

good hearth rate, and dramatically improving every session. The next session

every thing went south, and I collapsed. Blood pressure became erratic, heart

rate elevated with any slight effort and blood sugars began to fluctuate - it

was as if a switch flipped and I had the data to prove it. I also completed

rehab 20 lbs heavier - which was later shown to be upper body fluid.

> > In July 2010, Spiro was added to the med mix but had four/five episodes of

continues to this day.

> >

> > I have done so many 24 hr urines and blood tests since 2006 but never was I

after eating.

> >

> > I have been checked for renal artery stenosis and have been found to be

clear. Structurally my heart is now sound and hopefully with the upcoming

adrenalectomy these symptoms will stop or at least get to the point where they

are controlled by meds and I can have a life.

> >

> > I hope this answered most of your questions - essentially I've spent my life

> >

> > I'll get lab results to you as soon as I can - maybe they will help someone

else.

> >

>

Guest guest

Excellent. The only way to rule out RAS is with a good renal arteriogram. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 16, 2012, at 19:03, "lk.barns" <lk.barns@...> wrote:

Renal Arteriogram and blood tests - done during first episode of symptoms after heart surgery - seemed the most likely answer to the uncontrollable blood pressure based on my level of heart disease - I show elevated cortisol and aldosterone levels only on the left - thank goodness

> >

> > As stated earlier, I gave you the short version of my medical history.

> > To respond to your comments, I must now expand my tale and go back to the early 1980's.

> > While in college, I began to experience episodes of low blood sugar to the point of losing consciousness on several occasions. This was chalked up to being an active young adult with a tendency to forget to eat. A change in diet and more regular meal schedules resolved most of these issues. No testing was done at this time other than regular blood panel.

> > At this time, I became careful with my diet adopting essentially a DASH diet. Low sodium, low fat, lots of leafy greens, whole grains, no sodas, and rarely fried foods despite being a Southerner. Almost all home cooked - Southern cooks are good cooks because takeout isn't an option. I have maintained this way of eating with few exceptions since. Having a family history of diabetes, heart problems and neurological problems, this seemed to be the wisest path for me.

> > In 1990's I began to experience problems with depression and sought treatment. Episodes of depression seemed to follow a pattern connected to my menstrual cycle with each change in mood beginning premenstrual and continuing. Medication would work for a while and then would stop. Each time a med change was made I would gain at least ten pounds that could never be lost. As a result, by 1995 I carried 70 extra pounds. However, my blood pressure was always a perfect 120/80. In an effort, to lose the excess weight, I tweaked my diet to make sure my calorie intake was between 1200-1500 calories daily and added regular exercise. This was unsuccessful.

> > In 1998 due to construction at my work place, I experienced a six month time period in which I saw my GP every 2 weeks due to upper respiratory irritation and infections. Each time my BP was the perfect 120/80. After not seeing him for 3 months, I went in to see him for another sinus problem, accompanied by extreme fatigue and headache. This time my BP was averaged after several readings to 180/110. My GP had me come in daily for 2 weeks in order to monitor my blood pressure and adjust medication to bring it down. Having little success and noting the sudden onset of the hypertension, my GP referred me to an internist. K levels at this time were within the normal range.

> > Having done some research into the causes of sudden onset hypertension, I noted that some of my symptoms/characteristics fell into symptoms of overproduction of cortisol or aldosterone - sudden weight gain that cannot be lost despite diet and exercise, trunkal obesity and moon face( I look like a barrel on legs, blood sugar fluctuations, fatigue, whiskers growing on my chin, High cholesterol and most importantly the sudden onset of the hypertension. Also factored in was the observation by my psychiatrist that changes in my depression - for better or worse-always mirrored a the normal fluctuation of hormones during my menstrual cycle.

> > While the internist did not like my request to investigate cortisol /aldosterone beyond initial screening, he did send me for an MRI of my head (based on headaches) and to a sleep lab (the local hospital and just installed a sleep lab). By that time, my blood pressure was stable and I was sent away with a bipap machine (wall rattling snorer since childhood), a prescription for coregg and a 6 month follow-up appointment.

> > Until 2006, I would experience periods of unstable blood pressure, fatigue and weakness. By the time I was able to get an appointment with the Dr. the symptoms had resolved themselves and and he would look at me like I was nuts. K was occasionally on the low side of normal and he suggested supplements.

> > In 2006, I began to experience left flank pain along with the episodes of unstable blood pressure, fatigue and weakness. At that time I was being extremely strict with the DASH diet, walking 3 miles a day and doing yoga several times a week. I went to a new internist who found the adrenal adenoma and referred me to the 1st endo for evaluation.

> >

> > In 2009 I lost my job and insurance and by the time I was able to get to my internist again in 2010 my heart was so damaged that I was near death. (I had been having chest pain for 3 months. However since I also have a condition called nutcracker esophagus, the symptoms of which mimic a heart attack, I disregarded the urgency.)

> > Following the CABG, I was recovering well and undergoing cardiac rehab. After about 2 weeks I was doing well gaining strength, stable blood pressure, good hearth rate, and dramatically improving every session. The next session every thing went south, and I collapsed. Blood pressure became erratic, heart rate elevated with any slight effort and blood sugars began to fluctuate - it was as if a switch flipped and I had the data to prove it. I also completed rehab 20 lbs heavier - which was later shown to be upper body fluid.

> > In July 2010, Spiro was added to the med mix but had four/five episodes of weakness, fatigue, fluctuating blood pressure and rapid heart rate - these lasted anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks. My last episode began Mid December 2011 and continues to this day.

> >

> > I have done so many 24 hr urines and blood tests since 2006 but never was I taken off meds and never were the blood draws performed on the same date as the 24hr urines. K levels fluctuated sometimes within normal range and other times being low. Currently K is on the low side of normal. Through a great deal of trial an error, we've found that the Bystolic and Dioxin keep the blood pressure and heart rate relatively stable without crashing it too low. The Byetta keeps my blood sugar level throughout the day - rather than crashing very low 1-2 hrs after eating.

> >

> > I have been checked for renal artery stenosis and have been found to be clear. Structurally my heart is now sound and hopefully with the upcoming adrenalectomy these symptoms will stop or at least get to the point where they are controlled by meds and I can have a life.

> >

> > I hope this answered most of your questions - essentially I've spent my life eating a healthy diet, exercising and doing all the right things - ended up overweight and nearly dead at 47 - still trying to find answers.

> >

> > I'll get lab results to you as soon as I can - maybe they will help someone else.

> >

>

Guest guest

When your blood sugar crashes what values do you find?CE Grim MDOn Mar 16, 2012, at 9:14 AM, Francis Bill SUSPECTED PA wrote: How did they test for renal artery stenosis? Moon face is most likey cushings. Some have both PA and cushings. Can be one side makes to much aldo ane other side makes to much cortisol. > > As stated earlier, I gave you the short version of my medical history. > To respond to your comments, I must now expand my tale and go back to the early 1980's. > While in college, I began to experience episodes of low blood sugar to the point of losing consciousness on several occasions. This was chalked up to being an active young adult with a tendency to forget to eat. A change in diet and more regular meal schedules resolved most of these issues. No testing was done at this time other than regular blood panel. > At this time, I became careful with my diet adopting essentially a DASH diet. Low sodium, low fat, lots of leafy greens, whole grains, no sodas, and rarely fried foods despite being a Southerner. Almost all home cooked - Southern cooks are good cooks because takeout isn't an option. I have maintained this way of eating with few exceptions since. Having a family history of diabetes, heart problems and neurological problems, this seemed to be the wisest path for me. > In 1990's I began to experience problems with depression and sought treatment. Episodes of depression seemed to follow a pattern connected to my menstrual cycle with each change in mood beginning premenstrual and continuing. Medication would work for a while and then would stop. Each time a med change was made I would gain at least ten pounds that could never be lost. As a result, by 1995 I carried 70 extra pounds. However, my blood pressure was always a perfect 120/80. In an effort, to lose the excess weight, I tweaked my diet to make sure my calorie intake was between 1200-1500 calories daily and added regular exercise. This was unsuccessful. > In 1998 due to construction at my work place, I experienced a six month time period in which I saw my GP every 2 weeks due to upper respiratory irritation and infections. Each time my BP was the perfect 120/80. After not seeing him for 3 months, I went in to see him for another sinus problem, accompanied by extreme fatigue and headache. This time my BP was averaged after several readings to 180/110. My GP had me come in daily for 2 weeks in order to monitor my blood pressure and adjust medication to bring it down. Having little success and noting the sudden onset of the hypertension, my GP referred me to an internist. K levels at this time were within the normal range. > Having done some research into the causes of sudden onset hypertension, I noted that some of my symptoms/characteristics fell into symptoms of overproduction of cortisol or aldosterone - sudden weight gain that cannot be lost despite diet and exercise, trunkal obesity and moon face( I look like a barrel on legs, blood sugar fluctuations, fatigue, whiskers growing on my chin, High cholesterol and most importantly the sudden onset of the hypertension. Also factored in was the observation by my psychiatrist that changes in my depression - for better or worse-always mirrored a the normal fluctuation of hormones during my menstrual cycle. > While the internist did not like my request to investigate cortisol /aldosterone beyond initial screening, he did send me for an MRI of my head (based on headaches) and to a sleep lab (the local hospital and just installed a sleep lab). By that time, my blood pressure was stable and I was sent away with a bipap machine (wall rattling snorer since childhood), a prescription for coregg and a 6 month follow-up appointment. > Until 2006, I would experience periods of unstable blood pressure, fatigue and weakness. By the time I was able to get an appointment with the Dr. the symptoms had resolved themselves and and he would look at me like I was nuts. K was occasionally on the low side of normal and he suggested supplements. > In 2006, I began to experience left flank pain along with the episodes of unstable blood pressure, fatigue and weakness. At that time I was being extremely strict with the DASH diet, walking 3 miles a day and doing yoga several times a week. I went to a new internist who found the adrenal adenoma and referred me to the 1st endo for evaluation. > > In 2009 I lost my job and insurance and by the time I was able to get to my internist again in 2010 my heart was so damaged that I was near death. (I had been having chest pain for 3 months. However since I also have a condition called nutcracker esophagus, the symptoms of which mimic a heart attack, I disregarded the urgency.) > Following the CABG, I was recovering well and undergoing cardiac rehab. After about 2 weeks I was doing well gaining strength, stable blood pressure, good hearth rate, and dramatically improving every session. The next session every thing went south, and I collapsed. Blood pressure became erratic, heart rate elevated with any slight effort and blood sugars began to fluctuate - it was as if a switch flipped and I had the data to prove it. I also completed rehab 20 lbs heavier - which was later shown to be upper body fluid. > In July 2010, Spiro was added to the med mix but had four/five episodes of weakness, fatigue, fluctuating blood pressure and rapid heart rate - these lasted anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks. My last episode began Mid December 2011 and continues to this day. > > I have done so many 24 hr urines and blood tests since 2006 but never was I taken off meds and never were the blood draws performed on the same date as the 24hr urines. K levels fluctuated sometimes within normal range and other times being low. Currently K is on the low side of normal. Through a great deal of trial an error, we've found that the Bystolic and Dioxin keep the blood pressure and heart rate relatively stable without crashing it too low. The Byetta keeps my blood sugar level throughout the day - rather than crashing very low 1-2 hrs after eating. > > I have been checked for renal artery stenosis and have been found to be clear. Structurally my heart is now sound and hopefully with the upcoming adrenalectomy these symptoms will stop or at least get to the point where they are controlled by meds and I can have a life. > > I hope this answered most of your questions - essentially I've spent my life eating a healthy diet, exercising and doing all the right things - ended up overweight and nearly dead at 47 - still trying to find answers. > > I'll get lab results to you as soon as I can - maybe they will help someone else. >