RemedySpot.com

Need advice - sodium level impacts - very hot humid climate and living close to the beach

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear All

I am currently moving to an island in the Pacific with a very hot humid climate - actual temperatures each day average 36 degrees centigrade - an option is to live by the beach - will have air conditioning indoors but quite close to the beach. My question is whether I am going to be raising my sodium levels significantly as I will I think be breathing in quite a bit of salty air - moisture likely to be quite salty - and also air-conditioning intake likely to be salty air. Sodium intake per day 800-1200 and on 100 mg Inspra; 2-4 potassium tablets per day; 10 mg amiloride and 20 mg Zanidip (Calcium channel blocker)

My main concern is whether I am going to be seriously ingesting sodium indirectly - any advice; experience; comments etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Kwame

Guest guest

The major change in sodium balance will be due to sweating when u first move to hotter and/or humid climate. You may need less BP MEDS. I WOULD recommend checking BP and wt daily for a week or two. Salt can be inhaled it seems if u work in a salt factory. Don't know salt content of "salty air" but must not be much. Perhaps someone can look it up. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 25, 2012, at 20:16, kwame mfodwo <kmfodwo@...> wrote:

Dear All

I am currently moving to an island in the Pacific with a very hot humid climate - actual temperatures each day average 36 degrees centigrade - an option is to live by the beach - will have air conditioning indoors but quite close to the beach. My question is whether I am going to be raising my sodium levels significantly as I will I think be breathing in quite a bit of salty air - moisture likely to be quite salty - and also air-conditioning intake likely to be salty air. Sodium intake per day 800-1200 and on 100 mg Inspra; 2-4 potassium tablets per day; 10 mg amiloride and 20 mg Zanidip (Calcium channel blocker)

My main concern is whether I am going to be seriously ingesting sodium indirectly - any advice; experience; comments etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Kwame

Guest guest

Dear Dr Grim - thanx for these comments - very useful - will go for the house by the beach and keep a close watch on the BP and the electrolytes From: Clarence Grim <lowerbp2@...> "hyperaldosteronism " <hyperaldosteronism > Sent: Monday, 26 March 2012 2:32 PM Subject: Re: Need advice - sodium

level impacts - very hot humid climate and living close to the beach

The major change in sodium balance will be due to sweating when u first move to hotter and/or humid climate. You may need less BP MEDS. I WOULD recommend checking BP and wt daily for a week or two. Salt can be inhaled it seems if u work in a salt factory. Don't know salt content of "salty air" but must not be much. Perhaps someone can look it up. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 25, 2012, at 20:16, kwame mfodwo <kmfodwo@...> wrote:

Dear All

Kwame

Guest guest

And weight.CE Grim MDOn Mar 28, 2012, at 3:15 AM, kwame mfodwo wrote: Dear Dr Grim - thanx for these comments - very useful - will go for the house by the beach and keep a close watch on the BP and the electrolytes From: Clarence Grim <lowerbp2@...> "hyperaldosteronism " <hyperaldosteronism > Sent: Monday, 26 March 2012 2:32 PM Subject: Re: Need advice - sodium level impacts - very hot humid climate and living close to the beach The major change in sodium balance will be due to sweating when u first move to hotter and/or humid climate. You may need less BP MEDS. I WOULD recommend checking BP and wt daily for a week or two. Salt can be inhaled it seems if u work in a salt factory. Don't know salt content of "salty air" but must not be much. Perhaps someone can look it up. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 25, 2012, at 20:16, kwame mfodwo <kmfodwo@...> wrote: Dear All I am currently moving to an island in the Pacific with a very hot humid climate - actual temperatures each day average 36 degrees centigrade - an option is to live by the beach - will have air conditioning indoors but quite close to the beach. My question is whether I am going to be raising my sodium levels significantly as I will I think be breathing in quite a bit of salty air - moisture likely to be quite salty - and also air-conditioning intake likely to be salty air. Sodium intake per day 800-1200 and on 100 mg Inspra; 2-4 potassium tablets per day; 10 mg amiloride and 20 mg Zanidip (Calcium channel blocker) My main concern is whether I am going to be seriously ingesting sodium indirectly - any advice; experience; comments etc. would be greatly appreciated. Kwame

Guest guest

Kwame.You also want to check how much sodium is contained in your tap water. It might be much more than you used to drink before. Of course, if you drink and use tap water for cooking. Natalia Kamneva 68 Russian F with 2.5 cm left adrenal adenoma; diabetic; on 100 mg eplerenone, 80 mg Micardis, 2000 mg metformin, 60 mg Dexilant and 2 mg Lorazepam; Dashing; still have some occasional problems with BP, K and Na; on private consultation with Dr Grim. From: Clarence Grim <lowerbp2@...> "hyperaldosteronism " <hyperaldosteronism > Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:32 PM Subject: Re: Need advice - sodium level impacts - very hot humid climate and living close to the beach

Dear All

Kwame

Guest guest

In general Na in tap water is not likely to be a major source of sodium in diet. But someone should look up the newest data. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 30, 2012, at 15:40, Natalia Kamneva <natalia_kamneva@...> wrote:

Kwame.You also want to check how much sodium is contained in your tap water. It might be much more than you used to drink before. Of course, if you drink and use tap water for cooking. Natalia Kamneva 68 Russian F with 2.5 cm left adrenal adenoma; diabetic; on 100 mg eplerenone, 80 mg Micardis, 2000 mg metformin, 60 mg Dexilant and 2 mg Lorazepam; Dashing; still have some occasional problems with BP, K and Na; on private consultation with Dr Grim. From: Clarence Grim

<lowerbp2@...> "hyperaldosteronism " <hyperaldosteronism > Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:32 PM Subject: Re: Need advice - sodium level impacts - very hot humid climate and living close to the beach

Dear All

Kwame

Guest guest

Here is table that gives a good summary of Ca, Mg and Na found in water, I'll

let you draw your own conclusions. (It was published in 2001)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1495189/table/tbl1/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1495189/table/tbl2/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1495189/table/tbl3/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1495189/table/tbl4/

(4 different tables for different specific looks.)

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1495189/?tool=pubmed

Title: Comparison of the Mineral Content of Tap Water and Bottled Waters

Info from Europe available at:

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19087789

Title: [intake of calcium, magnesium and sodium through water: health

implications].

> >

> >>

> >> Dear All

> >>

> >> I am currently moving to an island in the Pacific with a very hot humid

climate - actual temperatures each day average 36 degrees centigrade - an option

is to live by the beach - will have air conditioning indoors but quite close to

the beach. My question is whether I am going to be raising my sodium levels

significantly as I will I think be breathing in quite a bit of salty air -

moisture likely to be quite salty - and also air-conditioning intake likely to

be salty air. Sodium intake per day 800-1200 and on 100 mg Inspra; 2-4 potassium

tablets per day; 10 mg amiloride and 20 mg Zanidip (Calcium channel blocker)

> >>

> >> My main concern is whether I am going to be seriously ingesting sodium

indirectly - any advice; experience; comments etc. would be greatly appreciated.

> >>

> >> Kwame

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

So drink only tap water. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 30, 2012, at 20:43, <jclark24p@...> wrote:

Here is table that gives a good summary of Ca, Mg and Na found in water, I'll let you draw your own conclusions. (It was published in 2001)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1495189/table/tbl1/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1495189/table/tbl2/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1495189/table/tbl3/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1495189/table/tbl4/

(4 different tables for different specific looks.)

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1495189/?tool=pubmed

Title: Comparison of the Mineral Content of Tap Water and Bottled Waters

Info from Europe available at:

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19087789

Title: [intake of calcium, magnesium and sodium through water: health implications].

> >

> >>

> >> Dear All

> >>

> >> I am currently moving to an island in the Pacific with a very hot humid climate - actual temperatures each day average 36 degrees centigrade - an option is to live by the beach - will have air conditioning indoors but quite close to the beach. My question is whether I am going to be raising my sodium levels significantly as I will I think be breathing in quite a bit of salty air - moisture likely to be quite salty - and also air-conditioning intake likely to be salty air. Sodium intake per day 800-1200 and on 100 mg Inspra; 2-4 potassium tablets per day; 10 mg amiloride and 20 mg Zanidip (Calcium channel blocker)

> >>

> >> My main concern is whether I am going to be seriously ingesting sodium indirectly - any advice; experience; comments etc. would be greatly appreciated.

> >>

> >> Kwame

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

For me, at least, it is a problem, especially for soups. My water contains 300 mg Na in a liter. NataliaFrom: Clarence Grim <lowerbp2@...> "hyperaldosteronism " <hyperaldosteronism > Sent: Friday, March 30, 2012 7:30 PM Subject: Re: Need advice - sodium level impacts - very hot humid

climate and living close to the beach

In general Na in tap water is not likely to be a major source of sodium in diet. But someone should look up the newest data. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 30, 2012, at 15:40, Natalia Kamneva <natalia_kamneva@...> wrote:

Kwame.You also want to check how much sodium is contained in your tap water. It might be much more than you used to drink before. Of course, if you drink and use tap water for cooking. Natalia Kamneva 68 Russian F with 2.5 cm left adrenal adenoma; diabetic; on 100 mg eplerenone, 80 mg Micardis, 2000 mg metformin, 60 mg Dexilant and 2 mg Lorazepam; Dashing; still have some occasional problems with BP, K and Na; on private consultation with Dr Grim. From:

Clarence Grim

<lowerbp2@...> "hyperaldosteronism " <hyperaldosteronism > Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:32 PM Subject: Re: Need advice - sodium level impacts - very hot humid climate and living close to the beach

Dear All

Kwame

Guest guest

That sounds like a lot. Can you double check your numbers. This would be more that 1 packet of salt like the have at Mcs.CE Grim MDOn Mar 30, 2012, at 9:57 PM, Natalia Kamneva wrote: For me, at least, it is a problem, especially for soups. My water contains 300 mg Na in a liter. NataliaFrom: Clarence Grim <lowerbp2@...> "hyperaldosteronism " <hyperaldosteronism > Sent: Friday, March 30, 2012 7:30 PM Subject: Re: Need advice - sodium level impacts - very hot humid climate and living close to the beach In general Na in tap water is not likely to be a major source of sodium in diet. But someone should look up the newest data. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 30, 2012, at 15:40, Natalia Kamneva <natalia_kamneva@...> wrote: Kwame.You also want to check how much sodium is contained in your tap water. It might be much more than you used to drink before. Of course, if you drink and use tap water for cooking. Natalia Kamneva 68 Russian F with 2.5 cm left adrenal adenoma; diabetic; on 100 mg eplerenone, 80 mg Micardis, 2000 mg metformin, 60 mg Dexilant and 2 mg Lorazepam; Dashing; still have some occasional problems with BP, K and Na; on private consultation with Dr Grim. From: Clarence Grim <lowerbp2@...> "hyperaldosteronism " <hyperaldosteronism > Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:32 PM Subject: Re: Need advice - sodium level impacts - very hot humid climate and living close to the beach The major change in sodium balance will be due to sweating when u first move to hotter and/or humid climate. You may need less BP MEDS. I WOULD recommend checking BP and wt daily for a week or two. Salt can be inhaled it seems if u work in a salt factory. Don't know salt content of "salty air" but must not be much. Perhaps someone can look it up. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 25, 2012, at 20:16, kwame mfodwo <kmfodwo@...> wrote: Dear All I am currently moving to an island in the Pacific with a very hot humid climate - actual temperatures each day average 36 degrees centigrade - an option is to live by the beach - will have air conditioning indoors but quite close to the beach. My question is whether I am going to be raising my sodium levels significantly as I will I think be breathing in quite a bit of salty air - moisture likely to be quite salty - and also air-conditioning intake likely to be salty air. Sodium intake per day 800-1200 and on 100 mg Inspra; 2-4 potassium tablets per day; 10 mg amiloride and 20 mg Zanidip (Calcium channel blocker) My main concern is whether I am going to be seriously ingesting sodium indirectly - any advice; experience; comments etc. would be greatly appreciated. Kwame

Guest guest

I couldn't let this pass without another comment on the joys of rural life!

One night my husband and I arrived home from a short trip to find the water in

all our toilet bowls had turned purple - like diluted grape koolaid. In

checking the taps, we found our glasses filled with the same pale purple fluid.

Living in a small town, we called the man in charge of maintaining the water

supply. " Oh the boys just dumped in too much fluoride - don't worry about it. "

Well the boys also dump in way too much chlorine quite frequently. So much so

that it is difficult to keep the chlorine levels in the swimming pool steady.

Now ask me why I drink so much bottled water and have a high quality filter

system in my home.

All US water systems are required to have frequent testing - If you have any

doubts as to what you are drinking these figures are available to the public.

Check with your local city utilities agency or health department.

Guest guest

I figured it out experimentally, long before I was diagnosed with PA. If I drank tap water I went to a bathroom 15 times a night. If I drank beer, then much, much fewer times. Then I also installed a powerful filter, and then bought water distiller that makes me happy for last 10 years. I don't want to double check my tap water every time when I drink it or when I cook soup. Natalia From: lk.barns <lk.barns@...> To:

hyperaldosteronism Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2012 5:11 PM Subject: Re: Need advice - sodium level impacts - very hot humid climate and living close to the beach

I couldn't let this pass without another comment on the joys of rural life!

One night my husband and I arrived home from a short trip to find the water in all our toilet bowls had turned purple - like diluted grape koolaid. In checking the taps, we found our glasses filled with the same pale purple fluid. Living in a small town, we called the man in charge of maintaining the water supply. "Oh the boys just dumped in too much fluoride - don't worry about it." Well the boys also dump in way too much chlorine quite frequently. So much so that it is difficult to keep the chlorine levels in the swimming pool steady. Now ask me why I drink so much bottled water and have a high quality filter system in my home.

All US water systems are required to have frequent testing - If you have any doubts as to what you are drinking these figures are available to the public. Check with your local city utilities agency or health department.