RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Spironolactone and alcohol

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I will be with Stowasser and team this fall and bring it up again. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 25, 2012, at 18:11, <jclark24p@...> wrote:

I doubt the doctors at NIH will believe me so maybe you should contact them! Maybe you should contact Drs. Stowasser M, Ahmed AH, Pimenta E, PJ, Gordon RD while you re at it, here is an extract from their current report: "Where feasible, diuretics should be ceased at least 6 weeks and other interfering medications at least 2 before ARR measurement, substituting noninterfering agents (e. g., verapamil slow-release±hydralazine and prazosin or doxazosin) were required."

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22147655

Horm Metab Res. 2012 Mar;44(3):170-6. Epub 2011 Dec 6.

Factors affecting the aldosterone/renin ratio.

Stowasser M, Ahmed AH, Pimenta E, PJ, Gordon RD.

Source

Endocrine Hypertension Research Centre, University of Queensland School of Medicine, Greenslopes and Princess -andra Hospitals, Brisbane, Australia.

> > >

> > > Alan, I would say you should be very worried, both about your liver

> > > and your blood pressure. Â Didn't your doc at least try some other BP

> > > meds?

> > > Val----- Original Message -----

> > > From: hyperaldosteronism

> > > Â

> > >

> > > I have always been a heavy drinker, or alcohol abuser if you prefer.

> > > But for the last few years I have been taking 50 mg of Spironolactone

> > > a day and I cut back dramatically on the amount I drank going days

> > > even weeks at a time without drinking at all.

> > >

> > > Recently my Doctor took my off Spiro to prepare for AVS. Within a

> > > few days, I found myself drawn back to my old practice of daily heavy

> > > drinking.

> > >

> > > Is it possible that the without the Spiro, I am drinking to self

> > > medicate the stress induced by higher Aldosterone levels. Or am I

> > > fooling myself with one of those rationalisations addicts become so

> > > good at?

> > >

> > > On separate but related issue without the Spiro my BP has obviously

> > > gone up but how high is too high? I am getting numbers like 200/77 and

> > > 198/67 - should I be worried?

> > >

> > > [1] Switch to: Text-Only [2], Daily Digest [3] • Unsubscribe [4]

> > > • Terms of Use [5] .

> > >

> > >

> > >

Guest guest

Yep and ya da ya da ya da. Short term study. Note recent suggestions that the SSRI HYPOTHESIS is open to question. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 24, 2012, at 22:00, Bingham <jlkbbk2003@...> wrote:

Just validate my point that since cortisol is so involved and fluctuates due to so many processes that blaming it on just spiro is hard to do. May have been high already, may be high because of other issues unrelated to spiro, may be due to spiro, or all of the above. Hard to know. Most report their anxiety and depression issues got better with treatment of PA. So is it a high or low cortisol "causing" those? Does it cause it or only respond to it? Is something else the reason we have anxiety and depression? Is it our inability to exercise - as that is certainly shown definitively to help both those conditions and increase our "happy" hormones? Just saying it's not likely we can just draw a linear path from spiro to our mental health issues - or whatever issues we believe the cortisol is causing.

It's much deeper and usually much more complicated than that. If it was simple every SSRI would increase our serotonin and dopamine and norepi and we'd all be happy as penguins - all except Al Gores penguins that is. Apparently they're stuck on a lonely melting iceberg looking for food still.

Like I said cortisol goes through these stages with the public - women's health circles mostly - because it's implicated in weight issues and we have been down that road already and we're always looking for the reason we're not weighing what we used to or want to. But we don't really know if it's always cause or effect - Chicken or the egg....or neither...maybe just a bystander.

From: maggiekat7 <ljurkovic@...>Subject: Re: Spironolactone and alcoholhyperaldosteronism Date: Saturday, March 24, 2012, 9:01 PM

Frances, , both of you amaze me in your ability to find and post relevant articles! Thank you!> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > I have always been a heavy drinker, or alcohol abuser if you> > prefer. But for the last few years I have been taking 50 mg of> > Spironolactone a day and I cut back dramatically on the amount I drank> > – going days even weeks at a time without drinking at all.> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > Recently my Doctor took my off Spiro to prepare for AVS.> >

Within a few days, I found myself drawn back to my old practice of daily> > heavy drinking.> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > Is it possible that the without the Spiro, I am drinking to> > self medicate the stress induced by higher Aldosterone levels. Or am I> > fooling myself with one of those rationalisations addicts become so good> > at?> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > On separate but related issue – without the Spiro my BP> > has obviously gone up – but how high is too high? I am getting> > numbers like 200/77 and 198/67 - should I be worried?> > > > > > > >> > > > > > >> > > > > >> > > > >> > > >> > >>

>>

Guest guest

AG but as Conn's Syndrome points out it just takes one very well studied. Ase in the right hands to revolutionize medicine. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 24, 2012, at 18:42, <jclark24p@...> wrote:

Okay, I guess I can buy that but it looks more likely to be the fact that Spironolactone resolved the K+ issue which in turn resolved the MDD issue. "It is possible that the hypokalemia detected later in this patient may have been the causal factor for his illness. Depression has been reported as a symptom of hypokalemia and other electrolyte disturbances"

I don't often "hang my hat" on a study of one unless that one is ME!

> > > > >> > > > > I have always been a heavy drinker, or alcohol abuser if you prefer. But for the last few years I have been taking 50 mg of Spironolactone a day and I cut back dramatically on the amount I drank – going days even weeks at a time without drinking at all. > > > > > > > > > > Recently my Doctor took my off Spiro to prepare for AVS. Within a few days, I found myself drawn back to my old practice of daily heavy drinking.> > > > > > > > > > Is it possible that the without the Spiro, I am drinking to self medicate the stress induced by higher Aldosterone levels. Or am I fooling myself with one of those rationalisations addicts become so good at?> > > > > > > > > > On separate but related issue – without the Spiro my BP has obviously gone up – but how high is too high? I am getting numbers like 200/77 and 198/67 - should I be worried?> > > > >> > > >> > >> >>