RemedySpot.com

Fw: ArcaMax Gardening Daily Tips for Monday March 10, 2008

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

ArcaMax Gardening Daily Tips for Monday March 10, 2008

Having trouble seeing this email? View the most recent issue or stories from previous issues.

More from ArcaMax.com!Funnies | Puzzle Games | Quizzes | Unsubscribe

Get This Newsletter Without Ads

www.ArcaMax.com | ArcaMundo.com | News | Books | Comics | Games | Subscribe | My Account

Gardening Daily Tips

For JoyceMonday March 10, 2008 • Nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus) • Q & A: Seed Starting For Biennials • Q & A: Transplanting Blueberries • Tip: Prevent Rose Diseases • Learn Spanish Vocabulary • Reader Photos

Content provided byThe National Gardening Association.

Nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus)Today's Featured Plant

Nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus) Read the full profile of this plant at ArcaMax.com. Interested in reading about other plants? Search through hundreds of plant profiles and helpful articles by keyword. Comment on this Story | Printer Friendly | Send Story to a Friend | Top

Q & A: Seed Starting For Biennials

Question: Should I start seeds for biennials indoors in early spring or should I wait until fall? I want to plant foxgloves, forget-me-nots, campanulas and hollyhocks. I live in Zone 5. Answer: You can start them indoors 6-8 weeks before transplanting outside after the last frost. Sometimes hollyhocks don't transplant that well because they quickly develop a long root, so you might want to save some of those seeds to sow directly into the soil when it warms up. Comment on this Story | Printer Friendly | Send Story to a Friend | Top

Q & A: Transplanting Blueberries

Question: I would like to move my blueberry bushes. When is the best time to do this? In the spring, while they are still dormant, or in the fall, after the fruit is harvested? Answer: The plants should be dormant when transplanted. In mild climates, you can move them in either in early spring or fall, after they've dropped their leaves. In cold regions, move them in the spring, before bud break, so they'll have the summer to get established before having to face the harsh winter weather. First, do your annual maintenance pruning. Next, make sure the new planting site is sunny with well-drained, moisture-retentive, acidic soil (pH 4.5-5). If the soil isn't this acidic, mix equal parts sphagnum peat moss with the backfill from the planting holes. Water them well after transplanting and through this coming year while their roots rejuvenate. Comment on this Story | Printer Friendly | Send Story to a Friend | Top

Tip: Prevent Rose Diseases

Check roses for fungal diseases that cause leaf yellowing. Prevent diseases by annually replacing mulch, pruning roses properly, and spraying an organic control such as neem oil. Comment on this Story | Printer Friendly | Send Story to a Friend | Top

Learn Spanish Vocabulary

Did you know 30% of Americans in several key cities and towns speak Spanish? Start learning the language yourself with a free subscription to the Spanish vocabulary ezine, sponsored by Onlingo. You'll learn a new word every day of the week to help you start building your knowledge of the Spanish language. Subscribe to Spanish Vocabulary instantly. Find out more before subscribing. -- From the ArcaMax editors

Today's Reader Submitted Photos

Click an image above to see full size and read caption.

To see more of our subscriber photos visit our full Photo Gallery. Enter your Gardening Daily Tips pictures so you can show them off to other readers right here in this ezine and on the ArcaMax.com Web site. Click here to submit your photo. Sincerely, ArcaMax Editors

Q & A: Rooting Willow Cutting Q & A: Bamboo Taking Over Tip: Build Raised Beds Red Cedar, Eastern (Juniperus virginiana) Q & A: Natural Pesticides More Archived Stories

More From ArcaMax Publishing

Newsletters: Comics - Knowledge - Lifestyles - News - More

Classic Books: Fiction - Non Fiction - Short Stories - Sci Fi - More

More: Quizzes - Sudoku - Crossword - Weather - Sports - Columns

En Español: Ultimas Noticias - Tiras Comicas - Deportes - Soduko

Ad Free NewsletterArcaMax publications are now available in an "advertising-free" format.Please click here for details.

Make sure this email gets to your inbox (and not your junk folder): just add ezines@... to your e-mail address book or safe list. Thank you!

ArcaMax Publishing, Inc. 729 Thimble Shoals Blvd. Suite 1-B Newport News, VA 23606 Fax: (757) 596-9731

ArcaMax Publishing is a leading publisher of family-friendly newsletters, featuring popular comics, games, feature columns and books by email. Thank you for reading the "Gardening Daily Tips" newsletter from the following email address: bjoyful@.... Please feel free to forward this email on to your friends! Advertise in ArcaMax NewslettersFamily-friendly consumer content to 4.4 million subscribersClick to learn more.

Advertiser's Directory

FAQ / Help

Contact the Editor

Contact information for recent advertisers.Consumer Online Buying Guide: FTC Tips for shopping online

Answers to our most frequently asked questions.Contact Customer Service

Have a question or comment about an article you read in one of our ezines?

ArcaMax Publishing, Inc. and its licensors.All registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.