RemedySpot.com

Fw: ArcaMax Gardening Daily Tips for Thursday March 6, 2008

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I think most of you now, I have a hot house. It's a home made one that I purchased on the side of the road, from a man who no longer wanted to raise a garden. It's made with PVC pipe, wood, and plastic. I even have a small one that I purchased at one of the discount stores. It's 6 ft. tall, about 3 feet wide, and about 2 ft. deep. It has a zipper in the front. The whole thing cost about ten dollars. Great for apartments or for people who only have time to handle a few plants. I will be using my small one to grow herbs, this spring. My Dad will use the big one, for the seedlings that will be repotted in April. Love, Joy

ArcaMax Gardening Daily Tips for Thursday March 6, 2008

Having trouble seeing this email? View the most recent issue or stories from previous issues.

More from ArcaMax.com!Funnies | Puzzle Games | Quizzes | Unsubscribe

Get This Newsletter Without Ads

www.ArcaMax.com | ArcaMundo.com | News | Books | Comics | Games | Subscribe | My Account

Gardening Daily Tips

For JoyceThursday March 6, 2008 • Leadwort, Cape (Plumbago auriculata) • Q & A: Bright Flowers for Shade • Q & A: Greenhouse Design • Tip: Trees For Flooded Soils • Free Recipes for St. 's Day • Reader Photos

Content provided byThe National Gardening Association.

Leadwort, Cape (Plumbago auriculata)Today's Featured Plant

Leadwort, Cape (Plumbago auriculata) Read the full profile of this plant at ArcaMax.com. Interested in reading about other plants? Search through hundreds of plant profiles and helpful articles by keyword. Comment on this Story | Printer Friendly | Send Story to a Friend | Top

Q & A: Bright Flowers for Shade

Question: Can you suggest brightly colored flowers for a shady bed? Answer: There are many brightly-colored annuals and perennials that bloom well in shady conditions. You can even complement them with some non-blooming plants with variegated foliage. Try Hosta, Vinca minor, and Lamium for a backdrop. Then add Impatiens, Campanula, Coleus, Clivia, Lilies, Primrose, Pansies, Bleeding Heart, Forget-me-not, Begonia and Columbine. Fuchsias are spectacular and appreciate being grown in containers so they can stretch and cascade. Maybe you can fit a few in to make a dramatic statement. Enjoy! Comment on this Story | Printer Friendly | Send Story to a Friend | Top

Q & A: Greenhouse Design

Question: I am currently remodeling my duplex and want to incorporate a large greenhouse window in the plan--perhaps glass block with shelving. I have the option of placing the window on any of the four exterior walls--north, south, east or west. My current design would choose the south as the best but since the remodeling will be extensive proper planning would allow any of the walls to be used. Do you have any suggestions for making the most of this project? I'd like the window for displaying a large houseplant collection--including both foliage and flowering varieties. The window will include rods so that curtains could be hung for warmth or light filtering. Answer: On first thought, I would say to have your greenhouse window face south, to maximize sun exposure. However, the amount of sun you want will depend on what you are growing, the type of glazing you are using, whether you plan to use the area as a sitting room (and want to have a particular view) and so on. A large, south-facing window (especially a greenhouse type with a glass ceiling) can let in a lot of heat--great in the winter, but overpowering in the summer. You'll want to plan for sturdy shades and adequate ventilation. It sounds like a large and expensive project; you may want to hire an architect/designer to help you make the most of it. Comment on this Story | Printer Friendly | Send Story to a Friend | Top

Tip: Trees For Flooded Soils

To avoid losing trees to drowning where occasional flooding occurs, plant alder, green ash, river birch, gray birch, bald cypress, silver maple, swamp oak, white poplar, and willow. Comment on this Story | Printer Friendly | Send Story to a Friend | Top

Free Recipes for St. 's Day

Want to make a great Irish meal for St. 's Day? Try Irish beef stew with chocolate emeralds for dessert! These great recipes and more are available in the ArcaMax St. 's Day feature. You can also test your knowledge of Ireland, get ideas for fun games for the kids, and more. Visit the St. 's Day feature. Subscribe to the Recipes bundle for more free recipes every day of the week. Find out more before subscribing. -- From the ArcaMax editors

Today's Reader Submitted Photos

Click an image above to see full size and read caption.

To see more of our subscriber photos visit our full Photo Gallery. Enter your Gardening Daily Tips pictures so you can show them off to other readers right here in this ezine and on the ArcaMax.com Web site. Click here to submit your photo. Sincerely, ArcaMax Editors

Recent Stories Q & A: Sprinkers or Drip for Vegetable Garden? Q & A: Health Benefits of Plants Tip: Plant Root Crops Butterflybush (Buddleia davidii) Q & A: Germinating Wildflower Seeds More Archived Stories

More From ArcaMax Publishing

Newsletters: Comics - Knowledge - Lifestyles - News - More

Classic Books: Fiction - Non Fiction - Short Stories - Sci Fi - More

More: Quizzes - Sudoku - Crossword - Weather - Sports - Columns

En Español: Ultimas Noticias - Tiras Comicas - Deportes - Soduko

Ad Free NewsletterArcaMax publications are now available in an "advertising-free" format.Please click here for details.

Quick Clicks

"Did you make $50,000 LAST MONTH?"

GOT INK? SAVE Up To 90% on Ink Cartridges 3 for 1 Pricing: Read more

World Wide Data Entry Workers Needed - Work At Home. Details here

Tired of Soaring Gas Prices? Cut Them In Half With This!

RegistrySmart: 1-Click PC error diagnostics & repair. Try it free.

New Type-At-Home program: Start earning in 30 minutes - Anyone can

How To Start Your Own Online Dollar Store - Free Kit Here

Sponsored Articles

Learn Spanish with the "Spanish Word of the Day"

Make sure this email gets to your inbox (and not your junk folder): just add ezines@... to your e-mail address book or safe list. Thank you!

ArcaMax Publishing, Inc. 729 Thimble Shoals Blvd. Suite 1-B Newport News, VA 23606 Fax: (757) 596-9731

ArcaMax Publishing is a leading publisher of family-friendly newsletters, featuring popular comics, games, feature columns and books by email. Thank you for reading the "Gardening Daily Tips" newsletter from the following email address: bjoyful@.... Please feel free to forward this email on to your friends! Advertise in ArcaMax NewslettersFamily-friendly consumer content to 4.4 million subscribersClick to learn more.

My Account

Unsubscribing

Advertiser's Directory

FAQ / Help

Contact the Editor

Manage your subscriptions, change your email address and more...

If you wish to no longer receive this newsletter only, please unsubscribe here. To unsubscribe from more than one list, go here.

Contact information for recent advertisers.Consumer Online Buying Guide: FTC Tips for shopping online

Answers to our most frequently asked questions.Contact Customer Service

Have a question or comment about an article you read in one of our ezines?

ArcaMax Publishing, Inc. and its licensors.All registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.