RemedySpot.com

meditation

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I'm not Jim, but have had a meditation practice for 18 years and love it. "The Miracle of Mindfulness" by Thich Nhat Hanh is a great book to begin identifying ways to concentrate, relax and meditate. It is a series of letters he (a Vietnamese Buddhist mink) wrote which were turned into this short manual. Ultimately you are your own teacher, but having a foundation and learning from other teachings to awaken your own inner wisdom is helpful. "The Tao of Pooh" by Hoff is also another helpful, simple read. Starting simple is the best way to begin any new practice -- whether it's eating, exercise, meditation or what have you. "What have you" is an interesting phrase...do we have our practice or does our practice have us?

A friend shared this meditation website with me. I cannot vouch for it because I have not been there, but I trust the source...

http://www.meditationsociety.com/week2.html

Good Luck,

Betsy

bowel cleanse

Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 5:19 PM

Subject: Re: Muscle/ parasite test

Jim,

I sincerely want you to share more about meditation. (On another list if this one is not appropriate or to me personally).

I have had a life long inability to settle myself down to do anything like meditation, to my own harm. Now I have the time to pursue this and really appreciate your comments about it.

Sam

RE: Muscle/ parasite test

<<...the naturopath had me lock my thumb and little finger together and she pulled hard, I didn't have much resistance at all, then she made me hold the homeopathic cures for yeast, dairy and sugar by my solar plexus and she couldn't pull my fingers apart, when she did wheat, she could pull it apart, so that showed her the wheat remedy didn't make a difference so I wasn't allergic. There seems to be a difference to this method and your already strong method.Kate>>

Hi Kate:

I have heard about that method too, after I learned the arm test. I think that you go with what works for you. I found some dramatic responses with the arm test.

Many years ago I went to a counselor who used this method to test for the real feelings that were behind what I thought I felt. It was very surprising to find what I thought I felt was many times the total opposite to what I really felt. For example, a muscle test question might be: "Do you hate your father" and the answer that might have come out of my mouth would be "Of course not" as my arm would drop despite all the pressure I exerted upward. This counselor was a small woman and I'm 6' 2" and good sized around. When the real answers were different than my stated answers it provided areas to work with. It was my first exposure to the "paranormal" and I was very skeptical at first, but with the results I could make changes when I really believed the "real" answers. I then did some work with the DC who taught her the technique and he used the same method, but with bottled objects such as sugar, salt and supplements in the hand of the arm that wasn't being tested. I have since gotten away from muscle testing and shortly after those experiences learned meditation techniques that reveal the same thing after peeling off the programmed responses. Both meditation and muscle testing point to the fact that each and everyone of us has all of our own answers inside of us. Meditation has changed my life dramatically, and in a positive direction.

Jim B

Guest guest

Mink? I meant Monk. ;)

RE: Muscle/ parasite test

<<...the naturopath had me lock my thumb and little finger together and she pulled hard, I didn't have much resistance at all, then she made me hold the homeopathic cures for yeast, dairy and sugar by my solar plexus and she couldn't pull my fingers apart, when she did wheat, she could pull it apart, so that showed her the wheat remedy didn't make a difference so I wasn't allergic. There seems to be a difference to this method and your already strong method.Kate>>

Hi Kate:

I have heard about that method too, after I learned the arm test. I think that you go with what works for you. I found some dramatic responses with the arm test.

Many years ago I went to a counselor who used this method to test for the real feelings that were behind what I thought I felt. It was very surprising to find what I thought I felt was many times the total opposite to what I really felt. For example, a muscle test question might be: "Do you hate your father" and the answer that might have come out of my mouth would be "Of course not" as my arm would drop despite all the pressure I exerted upward. This counselor was a small woman and I'm 6' 2" and good sized around. When the real answers were different than my stated answers it provided areas to work with. It was my first exposure to the "paranormal" and I was very skeptical at first, but with the results I could make changes when I really believed the "real" answers. I then did some work with the DC who taught her the technique and he used the same method, but with bottled objects such as sugar, salt and supplements in the hand of the arm that wasn't being tested. I have since gotten away from muscle testing and shortly after those experiences learned meditation techniques that reveal the same thing after peeling off the programmed responses. Both meditation and muscle testing point to the fact that each and everyone of us has all of our own answers inside of us. Meditation has changed my life dramatically, and in a positive direction.

Jim B

• 2 years later...

LOVE the ultimate goal is unconditional love for all and everything. You don't need to be religious for that word.

HEALING is another good word, when you concentrate on a word it enhances the meditation of your chosen word.

When you first start meditating, don't be surprised if you feel like you "wasted 15 minutes" it takes practice and even though it doesn't feel like much, it's working.

From there you can move on to creative visualization. It really is all about healing mind, body and spirit. Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck!

Tammy : )

Tammy,

Very well said. I love creative visualization. And being a believer that we create our own reality I really think meditation is a good point of creating it in the mind's eye how we want it to be.

gigiHealingMyLife@... wrote:

,LOVE the ultimate goal is unconditional love for all and everything. You don't need to be religious for that word.HEALING is another good word, when you concentrate on a word it enhances the meditation of your chosen word.When you first start meditating, don't be surprised if you feel like you "wasted 15 minutes" it takes practice and even though it doesn't feel like much, it's working.From there you can move on to creative visualization. It really is all about healing mind, body and spirit. Just my 2 cents.Good Luck!Tammy : )

• 1 year later...

Good to hear that things are going better for you Hillel. It is so true

that getting one's inner life sorted out and feeling more at peace makes a

big difference. We've become much more aware recently of reports and

articles (some dating back 50 years or more) giving clear evidence that

severe or prolonged stress depresses the immune system and makes it harder

for us to fight off disease, creating just the right conditions for chronic

illness to take hold.

" A merry heart makes good healing, but a broken spirit dries up the bones " .

Of course that's much easier said than done when facing the myriad problems

caused by ES, and I'm sure that the support, sympathy and empathy given by

members of this group is a great help to each other, as it has been for us.

Ian and Sue

Meditation

Hi all

I have not been around for a while, as I have finally submitted my PhD

dissertation (its on political education) and was busy. I want to throw in

my two cents about ES treatment. Isaid it before, I'll say it now too, that

what seems to work with me was a quite dramtic life changes that made me

much happier and healthier. I sperated from my then partner that was

emtionally abusive to me, Istarted taveling a bit, I do deep mediatation

every morning, I do yoga, I eat much less and lost waight, I strated to run

twice a week, I read for fun, see movies, and going out with woman searching

for love.

I know this sounds alternative, but I feel so much better than a year ago,

its amazing. I am not cured, but I can work my laptop again, which I could

not before. Just to make it clear where Ionce was, I even could not go out

in the sun!

love

HIllel _Israel

• 7 months later...

I'll definitely have to try meditation more. Sounds very

beneficial.

I'm seeing a doctor next week, so I'll ask about Provigil then.

-Bethany

>

> Hi Bethany,

>

> I meditate to allow the thoughts in my head to slow down, to

focus, to

> maintain a quiet mind, to keep myself in a low-stress lifestyle,

to

> connect with my inner self and the Ultimate Being. I also meditate

to

> think over situations or problems before making decisions. Part of

> meditation for me involves handwriting in a journal - interesting

> things come out this way that don't necessarily come out in

a 'typed'

> journal. I have taken several journaling classes/seminars to learn

more

> about connecting to my inner self and spirituality.

>

> As for the Ritalin, it was a long time ago. There is a new

medication

> some of our members take for fatigue, that seems better, Provigil.

Just

> my thoughts. You could ask your doc about this.

>

> ~ Gretchen

>

Caroline,

I'm doing pretty well today, have family visiting so that will be

nice. How about you?

You must be very committed! Good luck on your PhD :) I hope to get

mine someday.

I'm going to try meditation, and I'll also go check out the campus

and see what arrangements could be made.

Thank you so much for the suggestions and encouragement.

Hope you're well,

Bethany

>

> Dear Bethany,

>

> How are you? Hope everything is fine with you.

>

> I have CMT and I go to another country to pursue PhD (13 hours

> airplane travel time). I think CMT doesn't have negative effect on

> learning and studying. For studying, what we need is concentration

> and focus our mind on what we learn. When we get focused, CMT and

> pain disappear. This logic is the same as practicing zen

meditation.

>

> When we focus on meditation, the negative consciousness disappear.

> For campus enviorment, I think most campus have some facilities and

> resources that can help you live and study with CMT adn enjoy your

> college life with CMT. If the campus is very big, such as Indiana

> university, you can take campus bus and the bus will take you to

all

> the classroom buildings. It the campus is small, such as USC, you

> can walk to classrooms. Also, you may ask school office to help

> arrange a dorm that is near campus and thus you don't have to walk

a

> long way to classroom.

>

> Be brave to pursue your dream and fully utilize and enjoy your

life.

> CMT is one part of our life, beside CMT, we still have many things

> to do and enjoy.

>

> Caroline from LA

>

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris

You entered the starry world thats all. Its always there and is frequently

experienced in meditation when physiological conditions are just right. Your

conscious mind transcended for a little while, out of the boundaries of this

reality. Here we live in three dimensions, of space and one of time. The

direction of the fifth dimension is , IN. When we meditate our minds naturally

move toward the fifth dimension of cosmic consciousness. We take a dip in the

infinite. I am sure you will have other wonderful experiences from time to time.

Dont look for them. They come by themselves.

Its one of the benefits we recieve from having to fight cancer.If we are to

survive we need to bing mind/body /visualization into the fight. So we start

meditation with the objective of carrying out some serious Visualization from a

calm state. And then, from time to time, we recieve unexpected results.

In meditation dont pay attention to anything. Acute hearing, smells,

sensations, etc. Just let them be, and when you are ready, instruct your killer

T cells to attack those cancer cells. Your Killer T cells look like golf balls

with little fingers on them. They attach to cancer cells and inject the cancer

cell with a substance called Perforin. This causes immediate cell death. Yep, it

really happens.

Happy meditating, and victoroius warfare!

Dan

---------------------------------

Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+

countries) for 2¢/min or less.

Dan , thanks so very much, I can go foreward with the info you sent , I'm so

glad someone knew what was happening , T cells aye ? ok , they're IN ! , what a

fight , joan , move over ! :) blessings , chris :)

Dan Captain <capt_merrill@...> wrote: Hi Chris

You entered the starry world thats all. Its always there and is frequently

experienced in meditation when physiological conditions are just right.

• 1 month later...

Hi ,

I have never worried about whether or not I am 'right'. My first

teacher in TM years ago told us that meditation is essentially an

individual experience. Very freeing to hear that.

I will tell you tho, that one of the most important 'fruits' of

meditation is emotional balance, so I know if I maintain this

attitude, it works.

~ Gretchen

Hi Gretchen and all.

You know what they say about meditation: It's not what you Think!

For me meditation is about quieting down and listening - about being

rather than doing. It's not so much " how " as " what " .

-Carl-

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

meditation

techniques and explanation for spiritual growth and self-awareness

What is meditation?

Meditation is continuous Concentration!

The three parts of Meditation are: Concentration, Meditation and Contemplation. Concentration is to devote one’s Attention towards a single point: the point of Concentration. The uninterrupted flow of one’s Attention, then, is Meditation. Through continuous Meditation, one becomes One with the object of one’s Concentration. That is called Contemplation and the resulting Trance is called Samadhi, Holy Trance, Mystical Union, filled with the Holy Spirit, etc.

Pure Existence can only be experienced when the mind becomes still. Our thoughts and speculations are like a veil covering our true Nature. A most serious problem is when we identify with a certain mind-structure, the personality or ego, and the body. Even so Meditation is used to unveil our true Nature, during Meditation, we might still continue to cling to this false personality and fear its dissolution, thus preventing to discover the indestructible Self.

Since we cannot simply order the mind to be still, we give it something to hang on to. Words designed for that purpose are called mantras. The application of mantras during meditation is called Mantra Yoga, Mantra Meditation or, since it leads beyond, Transcendental Meditation. Effective mantras for Meditation may be AUM, OM, So-Ham, Aham, etc. Mantras are repeated mentally for the sole purpose to calm the mind. Only when the mind comes to a complete standstill are we enabled to identify with the silent observer. Then we know that the Self is not body or mind but pure Awareness. As a result we do not fear death anymore, since death only concerns body and mind. That which is born also dies but Awareness is not the product of either body and mind; Awareness simply is. It compares to waking up from a dream: Everything seen and experienced during the dream has lost its reality after waking up but the dreamer continues to exist even after the world in his dream has come to an end.

A technique for Concentration and Meditation:

During Meditation, and possibly even after, Jnana yogis simply concentrate on the first thought that makes all other thoughts possible which is I. Without I there is no you or anything else. For example, we say: I see, I hear, etc. I is the first thought and if we hang onto this thought, and that is all that I is, then no other thought will arise. This gives us a shortcut to the Stillness of the mind where the real I-am is experienced as something we feel rather than think we are. It is the Knowledge and Bliss of I-am-ness or Pure Beingness. Once Pure Beingness is established, Meditation has done its job.

For more detailed information on Jnana Yoga, see: Jnana Yoga

A second technique for Concentration and Meditation:

Awareness, the center of our Being, is the source for both our breath and the first thought I. We can therefore reach the center simply by observing the in and outgoing breath. This technique may further be reinforced by mentally repeating the mantram So-Ham (pronounced so-hum). Inhaling we repeat So and exhaling we mentally repeat Ham. In time this will came the mind setting free Pure Awareness as the observer and the real Self. This is who we are. Any type of Meditation is used to establish who we are and nothing else. During Meditation we are trying to realize that we, ourselves, are the Silent Observer.

More thorough explanations concerning various types of Meditation can be found in: Awareness - The Center of Being.

Alternate Nostril Breathing:A preliminary technique that helps to balance the Life-force (prana) and assists in calming the mind is called Alternate Nostril Breathing. Ancient Yoga text books state that this technique helps to get rid of impurities in the finer nerve channels.Close the right nostril with the thumb of the right hand and inhale slowly through the left nostril. Then close the left nostril with the little finger and the fourth finger. Exhale slowly through the right nostril followed by a slow inhalation through the right nostril. Close the right nostril and exhale slowly through the left. This completes one round. Ten rounds will complete this exercise. For more information check your Hatha Yoga manual in the pranayama section.All breathing exercises are only recommended to healthy persons, who should not exceed their abilities. Since there is no breath retention, this exercise should be safe.

Herbs and Food of Interest for Yogis:

For general benefits for the whole system consider: ground Flax seeds (#1 on my list), Fo-Ti, ground Sunflower seeds, Sesame seeds. Healthy food should consist of vegetables, nuts, fruit, legumes, yogurt, etc. Meat sources are normally better restricted to chicken and fish.Note: Flax only works as a laxative when taking the whole seeds. When ground or using the oil, it fights cancer, high cholesterol, heart disease, lupus, etc.Sardines contain Q10 and DMAE (Dimethylaminoethanol). DMAE is an Antioxidant and a precursor to Choline. It is involved in the repair of cell membranes and might have life-extending abilities. DMAE is brain food, elevates mood and increases memory and concentration. Q10 is a coenzyme and also an Antioxidant. It increases all brain and body functions, strengthens the immune system and is useful to counter a variety of diseases.

Nuts and fish are rightly called brain food. Nuts have many amino-acids. However, Flax, Quinoa, and Bee pollen should be added to that list because they contain an almost perfect collection of all the essential amino-acids. This is food that gives body and mind the nutrition it requires.

To add even more fuel to the powers of Concentration, consider: Gotu Kola, Ginseng, Ginkgo biloba, Calamus, Blessed Thistle, Vinca minor, Rosemary, and Sage.

Caution:Avoid long term use of Licorice root if you have high blood pressure since this herb tends to increase blood pressure after some time. Avoid using Gotu Kola in case of ulcers since this herb tends to aggregate ulcers.Do not overuse or overdose on Calamus since this herb has emetic properties and may cause hallucinations.

Many more information concerning Health, Herbs, Nutrition, and Alternative Medicine are found on our Alternative Medicine & Natural Healing Software.

Previous: Samadhi

Next Article: Mantra Yoga

Zentrum Publishing's Self-realization.com - Wellness for Body and Soul

Download our Yoga Freeware Program and our Alternative Medicine Healing SoftwareYoga Links Yoga Portal

Web page content ZentrumPublishing