Re: JC at NIH - DASH

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I ran into the sugar packed drinks too in the hospital - I asked for milk after

16 hrs NPO - no they didn't have it - didn't think to ask for V8 - bet they

didn't have it either

Guest guest

Interesting that they do not stress the DASH in any of their Rx recommendations that you heard about?CE Grim MDOn Apr 18, 2012, at 1:40 PM, wrote: The first time I thought of it was when I got there and the nurse asked if I'd like something to drink. Poor diet all day so I asked for L-S V8. WRONG answer but they had plenty of sugarry crap, I chose water! Meet w/nutritionest on day 1 and she knew about DASH and I found many seemed to know the concept. I pointed out their Nutrition pages did not include values for K and she said she would look into it. (Fall & Winter menu should be out when I go back so I will check!) I gave her an "excellent" for portion control! Do you know the actual size of a deck of cards or how small a container 1 oz. of raisins will fit in? (Now I have to go to BJ's and buy some small containers!) I suggested they consider offering T. 's 14 day trial as an optional menu for people to experiement with and she will check it out. (Also might be an option for people on a "special diet" if approptiate. Would be a good "take home" since I presume DASH diet is more widely known than the NIH diet!) This would not work many days in this protocol because you are NPO much of the time but if you had an open day you could order a spefic day to test it out! Just a thought. She checked in late in my stay to see how it went and check for more ideas. (believe it or not, I had a couple!) Suggested she consider smaller dinner plates. Trick the mind into thinking it got a plate full! How about a smaller fork so the elbow gets its exersize, slow the process by setting the fork down and letting the mind think it is no longer hungry! (Maybe I should get hold of , Childhood Obesity, How long is your child's lunch period at school?) "Slow down and smell the Roses!" (And that has a special meaning for me. Since my wife's name is Rose I give her a 5 second thought everytime I think of it - 44 years but who's counting! My final recommendation was she change V8 from drink to a vegetable! They have a limit of 3 drinks per tray so when I ordered milk, 2 v8s and coffee I got a "violation". They suggested reducing the v8 but NPO was plying a role and I needed the ~1600mg of K. The next suggestion was the coffee but I was experiencing caffine headache my morning coffee was coming at 3pm! We finally agreed to have the v8 treated as a snack and when the lady delivered it she moved them to my dinner tray and took the second tray right back with her to the dishwasher! Call me STUPID, why didn't I think of that! I think tht covers it Dr. Grim, What did I miss?

Guest guest

Remember this is a research facility. If you are NPO until 5:30 pm it is real

difficult to follow a DASH diet! My goal was to try and come close to K & Na

numbers. They were familiar with it and I tried to encourage ways to advertise.

>

> > The first time I thought of it was when I got there and the nurse

> > asked if I'd like something to drink. Poor diet all day so I asked

> > for L-S V8. WRONG answer but they had plenty of sugarry crap, I

> > chose water!

> >

> > Meet w/nutritionest on day 1 and she knew about DASH and I found

> > many seemed to know the concept. I pointed out their Nutrition pages

> > did not include values for K and she said she would look into it.

> > (Fall & Winter menu should be out when I go back so I will check!)

> >

> > I gave her an " excellent " for portion control! Do you know the

> > actual size of a deck of cards or how small a container 1 oz. of

> > raisins will fit in? (Now I have to go to BJ's and buy some small

> > containers!)

> >

> > I suggested they consider offering T. 's 14 day trial as an

> > optional menu for people to experiement with and she will check it

> > out. (Also might be an option for people on a " special diet " if

> > approptiate. Would be a good " take home " since I presume DASH diet

> > is more widely known than the NIH diet!) This would not work many

> > days in this protocol because you are NPO much of the time but if

> > you had an open day you could order a spefic day to test it out!

> > Just a thought.

> >

> > She checked in late in my stay to see how it went and check for more

> > ideas. (believe it or not, I had a couple!) Suggested she consider

> > smaller dinner plates. Trick the mind into thinking it got a plate

> > full! How about a smaller fork so the elbow gets its exersize, slow

> > the process by setting the fork down and letting the mind think it

> > is no longer hungry! (Maybe I should get hold of , Childhood

> > Obesity, How long is your child's lunch period at school?)

> >

> > " Slow down and smell the Roses! " (And that has a special meaning for

> > me. Since my wife's name is Rose I give her a 5 second thought

> > everytime I think of it - 44 years but who's counting!

> >

> > My final recommendation was she change V8 from drink to a vegetable!

> > They have a limit of 3 drinks per tray so when I ordered milk, 2 v8s

> > and coffee I got a " violation " . They suggested reducing the v8 but

> > NPO was plying a role and I needed the ~1600mg of K. The next

> > suggestion was the coffee but I was experiencing caffine headache my

> > morning coffee was coming at 3pm! We finally agreed to have the v8

> > treated as a snack and when the lady delivered it she moved them to

> > my dinner tray and took the second tray right back with her to the

> > dishwasher! Call me STUPID, why didn't I think of that!

> >

> > I think tht covers it Dr. Grim, What did I miss?

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Remember this is a research facility. If you are NPO until 5:30 pm it is real

difficult to follow a DASH diet! My goal was to try and come close to K & Na

numbers. They were familiar with it and I tried to encourage ways to advertise.

>

> > The first time I thought of it was when I got there and the nurse

> > asked if I'd like something to drink. Poor diet all day so I asked

> > for L-S V8. WRONG answer but they had plenty of sugarry crap, I

> > chose water!

> >

> > Meet w/nutritionest on day 1 and she knew about DASH and I found

> > many seemed to know the concept. I pointed out their Nutrition pages

> > did not include values for K and she said she would look into it.

> > (Fall & Winter menu should be out when I go back so I will check!)

> >

> > I gave her an " excellent " for portion control! Do you know the

> > actual size of a deck of cards or how small a container 1 oz. of

> > raisins will fit in? (Now I have to go to BJ's and buy some small

> > containers!)

> >

> > I suggested they consider offering T. 's 14 day trial as an

> > optional menu for people to experiement with and she will check it

> > out. (Also might be an option for people on a " special diet " if

> > approptiate. Would be a good " take home " since I presume DASH diet

> > is more widely known than the NIH diet!) This would not work many

> > days in this protocol because you are NPO much of the time but if

> > you had an open day you could order a spefic day to test it out!

> > Just a thought.

> >

> > She checked in late in my stay to see how it went and check for more

> > ideas. (believe it or not, I had a couple!) Suggested she consider

> > smaller dinner plates. Trick the mind into thinking it got a plate

> > full! How about a smaller fork so the elbow gets its exersize, slow

> > the process by setting the fork down and letting the mind think it

> > is no longer hungry! (Maybe I should get hold of , Childhood

> > Obesity, How long is your child's lunch period at school?)

> >

> > " Slow down and smell the Roses! " (And that has a special meaning for

> > me. Since my wife's name is Rose I give her a 5 second thought

> > everytime I think of it - 44 years but who's counting!

> >

> > My final recommendation was she change V8 from drink to a vegetable!

> > They have a limit of 3 drinks per tray so when I ordered milk, 2 v8s

> > and coffee I got a " violation " . They suggested reducing the v8 but

> > NPO was plying a role and I needed the ~1600mg of K. The next

> > suggestion was the coffee but I was experiencing caffine headache my

> > morning coffee was coming at 3pm! We finally agreed to have the v8

> > treated as a snack and when the lady delivered it she moved them to

> > my dinner tray and took the second tray right back with her to the

> > dishwasher! Call me STUPID, why didn't I think of that!

> >

> > I think tht covers it Dr. Grim, What did I miss?

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Well as not one talks about DASH and PA except here (as far as I know) it should become a research focus to test it as a long term way to improve the lives of those with PA. But not as exciting as gene research.CE Grim MDOn Apr 21, 2012, at 5:11 PM, wrote: Remember this is a research facility. If you are NPO until 5:30 pm it is real difficult to follow a DASH diet! My goal was to try and come close to K & Na numbers. They were familiar with it and I tried to encourage ways to advertise. > > > The first time I thought of it was when I got there and the nurse > > asked if I'd like something to drink. Poor diet all day so I asked > > for L-S V8. WRONG answer but they had plenty of sugarry crap, I > > chose water! > > > > Meet w/nutritionest on day 1 and she knew about DASH and I found > > many seemed to know the concept. I pointed out their Nutrition pages > > did not include values for K and she said she would look into it. > > (Fall & Winter menu should be out when I go back so I will check!) > > > > I gave her an "excellent" for portion control! Do you know the > > actual size of a deck of cards or how small a container 1 oz. of > > raisins will fit in? (Now I have to go to BJ's and buy some small > > containers!) > > > > I suggested they consider offering T. 's 14 day trial as an > > optional menu for people to experiement with and she will check it > > out. (Also might be an option for people on a "special diet" if > > approptiate. Would be a good "take home" since I presume DASH diet > > is more widely known than the NIH diet!) This would not work many > > days in this protocol because you are NPO much of the time but if > > you had an open day you could order a spefic day to test it out! > > Just a thought. > > > > She checked in late in my stay to see how it went and check for more > > ideas. (believe it or not, I had a couple!) Suggested she consider > > smaller dinner plates. Trick the mind into thinking it got a plate > > full! How about a smaller fork so the elbow gets its exersize, slow > > the process by setting the fork down and letting the mind think it > > is no longer hungry! (Maybe I should get hold of , Childhood > > Obesity, How long is your child's lunch period at school?) > > > > "Slow down and smell the Roses!" (And that has a special meaning for > > me. Since my wife's name is Rose I give her a 5 second thought > > everytime I think of it - 44 years but who's counting! > > > > My final recommendation was she change V8 from drink to a vegetable! > > They have a limit of 3 drinks per tray so when I ordered milk, 2 v8s > > and coffee I got a "violation". They suggested reducing the v8 but > > NPO was plying a role and I needed the ~1600mg of K. The next > > suggestion was the coffee but I was experiencing caffine headache my > > morning coffee was coming at 3pm! We finally agreed to have the v8 > > treated as a snack and when the lady delivered it she moved them to > > my dinner tray and took the second tray right back with her to the > > dishwasher! Call me STUPID, why didn't I think of that! > > > > I think tht covers it Dr. Grim, What did I miss? > > > > >

Guest guest

Well as not one talks about DASH and PA except here (as far as I know) it should become a research focus to test it as a long term way to improve the lives of those with PA. But not as exciting as gene research.CE Grim MDOn Apr 21, 2012, at 5:11 PM, wrote: Remember this is a research facility. If you are NPO until 5:30 pm it is real difficult to follow a DASH diet! My goal was to try and come close to K & Na numbers. They were familiar with it and I tried to encourage ways to advertise. > > > The first time I thought of it was when I got there and the nurse > > asked if I'd like something to drink. Poor diet all day so I asked > > for L-S V8. WRONG answer but they had plenty of sugarry crap, I > > chose water! > > > > Meet w/nutritionest on day 1 and she knew about DASH and I found > > many seemed to know the concept. I pointed out their Nutrition pages > > did not include values for K and she said she would look into it. > > (Fall & Winter menu should be out when I go back so I will check!) > > > > I gave her an "excellent" for portion control! Do you know the > > actual size of a deck of cards or how small a container 1 oz. of > > raisins will fit in? (Now I have to go to BJ's and buy some small > > containers!) > > > > I suggested they consider offering T. 's 14 day trial as an > > optional menu for people to experiement with and she will check it > > out. (Also might be an option for people on a "special diet" if > > approptiate. Would be a good "take home" since I presume DASH diet > > is more widely known than the NIH diet!) This would not work many > > days in this protocol because you are NPO much of the time but if > > you had an open day you could order a spefic day to test it out! > > Just a thought. > > > > She checked in late in my stay to see how it went and check for more > > ideas. (believe it or not, I had a couple!) Suggested she consider > > smaller dinner plates. Trick the mind into thinking it got a plate > > full! How about a smaller fork so the elbow gets its exersize, slow > > the process by setting the fork down and letting the mind think it > > is no longer hungry! (Maybe I should get hold of , Childhood > > Obesity, How long is your child's lunch period at school?) > > > > "Slow down and smell the Roses!" (And that has a special meaning for > > me. Since my wife's name is Rose I give her a 5 second thought > > everytime I think of it - 44 years but who's counting! > > > > My final recommendation was she change V8 from drink to a vegetable! > > They have a limit of 3 drinks per tray so when I ordered milk, 2 v8s > > and coffee I got a "violation". They suggested reducing the v8 but > > NPO was plying a role and I needed the ~1600mg of K. The next > > suggestion was the coffee but I was experiencing caffine headache my > > morning coffee was coming at 3pm! We finally agreed to have the v8 > > treated as a snack and when the lady delivered it she moved them to > > my dinner tray and took the second tray right back with her to the > > dishwasher! Call me STUPID, why didn't I think of that! > > > > I think tht covers it Dr. Grim, What did I miss? > > > > >

Guest guest

I'm not sure what you are looking for, they certainly focus on diet at NIH.

They check the records every time you order for any restrictions. I also ment

with a nutrionist face to face 3 times while I was there. In fact, being in

control of that aspect for 14 days was quite a learning experience!

> > >

> > > > The first time I thought of it was when I got there and the nurse

> > > > asked if I'd like something to drink. Poor diet all day so I asked

> > > > for L-S V8. WRONG answer but they had plenty of sugarry crap, I

> > > > chose water!

> > > >

> > > > Meet w/nutritionest on day 1 and she knew about DASH and I found

> > > > many seemed to know the concept. I pointed out their Nutrition

> > pages

> > > > did not include values for K and she said she would look into it.

> > > > (Fall & Winter menu should be out when I go back so I will check!)

> > > >

> > > > I gave her an " excellent " for portion control! Do you know the

> > > > actual size of a deck of cards or how small a container 1 oz. of

> > > > raisins will fit in? (Now I have to go to BJ's and buy some small

> > > > containers!)

> > > >

> > > > I suggested they consider offering T. 's 14 day trial as an

> > > > optional menu for people to experiement with and she will check it

> > > > out. (Also might be an option for people on a " special diet " if

> > > > approptiate. Would be a good " take home " since I presume DASH diet

> > > > is more widely known than the NIH diet!) This would not work many

> > > > days in this protocol because you are NPO much of the time but if

> > > > you had an open day you could order a spefic day to test it out!

> > > > Just a thought.

> > > >

> > > > She checked in late in my stay to see how it went and check for

> > more

> > > > ideas. (believe it or not, I had a couple!) Suggested she consider

> > > > smaller dinner plates. Trick the mind into thinking it got a plate

> > > > full! How about a smaller fork so the elbow gets its exersize,

> > slow

> > > > the process by setting the fork down and letting the mind think it

> > > > is no longer hungry! (Maybe I should get hold of ,

> > Childhood

> > > > Obesity, How long is your child's lunch period at school?)

> > > >

> > > > " Slow down and smell the Roses! " (And that has a special meaning

> > for

> > > > me. Since my wife's name is Rose I give her a 5 second thought

> > > > everytime I think of it - 44 years but who's counting!

> > > >

> > > > My final recommendation was she change V8 from drink to a

> > vegetable!

> > > > They have a limit of 3 drinks per tray so when I ordered milk, 2

> > v8s

> > > > and coffee I got a " violation " . They suggested reducing the v8 but

> > > > NPO was plying a role and I needed the ~1600mg of K. The next

> > > > suggestion was the coffee but I was experiencing caffine

> > headache my

> > > > morning coffee was coming at 3pm! We finally agreed to have the v8

> > > > treated as a snack and when the lady delivered it she moved them

> > to

> > > > my dinner tray and took the second tray right back with her to the

> > > > dishwasher! Call me STUPID, why didn't I think of that!

> > > >

> > > > I think tht covers it Dr. Grim, What did I miss?

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Ah but the issue is are they testing the effect of diet on the PA over the long haul?CE Grim MDOn Apr 22, 2012, at 4:28 AM, wrote: I'm not sure what you are looking for, they certainly focus on diet at NIH. They check the records every time you order for any restrictions. I also ment with a nutrionist face to face 3 times while I was there. In fact, being in control of that aspect for 14 days was quite a learning experience! > > > > > > > The first time I thought of it was when I got there and the nurse > > > > asked if I'd like something to drink. Poor diet all day so I asked > > > > for L-S V8. WRONG answer but they had plenty of sugarry crap, I > > > > chose water! > > > > > > > > Meet w/nutritionest on day 1 and she knew about DASH and I found > > > > many seemed to know the concept. I pointed out their Nutrition > > pages > > > > did not include values for K and she said she would look into it. > > > > (Fall & Winter menu should be out when I go back so I will check!) > > > > > > > > I gave her an "excellent" for portion control! Do you know the > > > > actual size of a deck of cards or how small a container 1 oz. of > > > > raisins will fit in? (Now I have to go to BJ's and buy some small > > > > containers!) > > > > > > > > I suggested they consider offering T. 's 14 day trial as an > > > > optional menu for people to experiement with and she will check it > > > > out. (Also might be an option for people on a "special diet" if > > > > approptiate. Would be a good "take home" since I presume DASH diet > > > > is more widely known than the NIH diet!) This would not work many > > > > days in this protocol because you are NPO much of the time but if > > > > you had an open day you could order a spefic day to test it out! > > > > Just a thought. > > > > > > > > She checked in late in my stay to see how it went and check for > > more > > > > ideas. (believe it or not, I had a couple!) Suggested she consider > > > > smaller dinner plates. Trick the mind into thinking it got a plate > > > > full! How about a smaller fork so the elbow gets its exersize, > > slow > > > > the process by setting the fork down and letting the mind think it > > > > is no longer hungry! (Maybe I should get hold of , > > Childhood > > > > Obesity, How long is your child's lunch period at school?) > > > > > > > > "Slow down and smell the Roses!" (And that has a special meaning > > for > > > > me. Since my wife's name is Rose I give her a 5 second thought > > > > everytime I think of it - 44 years but who's counting! > > > > > > > > My final recommendation was she change V8 from drink to a > > vegetable! > > > > They have a limit of 3 drinks per tray so when I ordered milk, 2 > > v8s > > > > and coffee I got a "violation". They suggested reducing the v8 but > > > > NPO was plying a role and I needed the ~1600mg of K. The next > > > > suggestion was the coffee but I was experiencing caffine > > headache my > > > > morning coffee was coming at 3pm! We finally agreed to have the v8 > > > > treated as a snack and when the lady delivered it she moved them > > to > > > > my dinner tray and took the second tray right back with her to the > > > > dishwasher! Call me STUPID, why didn't I think of that! > > > > > > > > I think tht covers it Dr. Grim, What did I miss? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

Ah but the issue is are they testing the effect of diet on the PA over the long haul?CE Grim MDOn Apr 22, 2012, at 4:28 AM, wrote: I'm not sure what you are looking for, they certainly focus on diet at NIH. They check the records every time you order for any restrictions. I also ment with a nutrionist face to face 3 times while I was there. In fact, being in control of that aspect for 14 days was quite a learning experience! > > > > > > > The first time I thought of it was when I got there and the nurse > > > > asked if I'd like something to drink. Poor diet all day so I asked > > > > for L-S V8. WRONG answer but they had plenty of sugarry crap, I > > > > chose water! > > > > > > > > Meet w/nutritionest on day 1 and she knew about DASH and I found > > > > many seemed to know the concept. I pointed out their Nutrition > > pages > > > > did not include values for K and she said she would look into it. > > > > (Fall & Winter menu should be out when I go back so I will check!) > > > > > > > > I gave her an "excellent" for portion control! Do you know the > > > > actual size of a deck of cards or how small a container 1 oz. of > > > > raisins will fit in? (Now I have to go to BJ's and buy some small > > > > containers!) > > > > > > > > I suggested they consider offering T. 's 14 day trial as an > > > > optional menu for people to experiement with and she will check it > > > > out. (Also might be an option for people on a "special diet" if > > > > approptiate. Would be a good "take home" since I presume DASH diet > > > > is more widely known than the NIH diet!) This would not work many > > > > days in this protocol because you are NPO much of the time but if > > > > you had an open day you could order a spefic day to test it out! > > > > Just a thought. > > > > > > > > She checked in late in my stay to see how it went and check for > > more > > > > ideas. (believe it or not, I had a couple!) Suggested she consider > > > > smaller dinner plates. Trick the mind into thinking it got a plate > > > > full! How about a smaller fork so the elbow gets its exersize, > > slow > > > > the process by setting the fork down and letting the mind think it > > > > is no longer hungry! (Maybe I should get hold of , > > Childhood > > > > Obesity, How long is your child's lunch period at school?) > > > > > > > > "Slow down and smell the Roses!" (And that has a special meaning > > for > > > > me. Since my wife's name is Rose I give her a 5 second thought > > > > everytime I think of it - 44 years but who's counting! > > > > > > > > My final recommendation was she change V8 from drink to a > > vegetable! > > > > They have a limit of 3 drinks per tray so when I ordered milk, 2 > > v8s > > > > and coffee I got a "violation". They suggested reducing the v8 but > > > > NPO was plying a role and I needed the ~1600mg of K. The next > > > > suggestion was the coffee but I was experiencing caffine > > headache my > > > > morning coffee was coming at 3pm! We finally agreed to have the v8 > > > > treated as a snack and when the lady delivered it she moved them > > to > > > > my dinner tray and took the second tray right back with her to the > > > > dishwasher! Call me STUPID, why didn't I think of that! > > > > > > > > I think tht covers it Dr. Grim, What did I miss? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

Guest guest

You have to realize you can't be everything to everyone and this protocol is

looking at one portion (genes) to further the knowledge and treatment of HA. I

can assure you they are concerned about diet and BMI, etc. The absolute first

thing Dr. Moraitis and I talked about was Gastric Bypass! If excess cortisol

has been causing weight gain (and depression) for say the last 7 years and

caused say 1 1/2 pound weight gain per month you don't have to be a math whiz to

see where the last 100+ lbs came from! (Throw in sitting on your butt driving a

tour bus and eating fast food if you need to!)

Their job is to look at one specific aspect and let people like you pull it all

together, IMHO. And as long as I am offering my opinion, your job (and people

like you) need to focus on the whole picture and not put undue emphasis on any

one aspect. You must start with a solid foundation so cause/effect and diet are

the first step. Proper testing should be next IMHO, what good is the foundation

if you immediately go to trial and error and make further testing invalid unless

you jump through a bunch of hoops? Don't get me started!

> > > > >

> > > > > > The first time I thought of it was when I got there and the

> > nurse

> > > > > > asked if I'd like something to drink. Poor diet all day so I

> > asked

> > > > > > for L-S V8. WRONG answer but they had plenty of sugarry

> > crap, I

> > > > > > chose water!

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Meet w/nutritionest on day 1 and she knew about DASH and I

> > found

> > > > > > many seemed to know the concept. I pointed out their Nutrition

> > > > pages

> > > > > > did not include values for K and she said she would look

> > into it.

> > > > > > (Fall & Winter menu should be out when I go back so I will

> > check!)

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I gave her an " excellent " for portion control! Do you know the

> > > > > > actual size of a deck of cards or how small a container 1

> > oz. of

> > > > > > raisins will fit in? (Now I have to go to BJ's and buy some

> > small

> > > > > > containers!)

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I suggested they consider offering T. 's 14 day trial

> > as an

> > > > > > optional menu for people to experiement with and she will

> > check it

> > > > > > out. (Also might be an option for people on a " special diet "

> > if

> > > > > > approptiate. Would be a good " take home " since I presume

> > DASH diet

> > > > > > is more widely known than the NIH diet!) This would not work

> > many

> > > > > > days in this protocol because you are NPO much of the time

> > but if

> > > > > > you had an open day you could order a spefic day to test it

> > out!

> > > > > > Just a thought.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > She checked in late in my stay to see how it went and check

> > for

> > > > more

> > > > > > ideas. (believe it or not, I had a couple!) Suggested she

> > consider

> > > > > > smaller dinner plates. Trick the mind into thinking it got a

> > plate

> > > > > > full! How about a smaller fork so the elbow gets its exersize,

> > > > slow

> > > > > > the process by setting the fork down and letting the mind

> > think it

> > > > > > is no longer hungry! (Maybe I should get hold of ,

> > > > Childhood

> > > > > > Obesity, How long is your child's lunch period at school?)

> > > > > >

> > > > > > " Slow down and smell the Roses! " (And that has a special

> > meaning

> > > > for

> > > > > > me. Since my wife's name is Rose I give her a 5 second thought

> > > > > > everytime I think of it - 44 years but who's counting!

> > > > > >

> > > > > > My final recommendation was she change V8 from drink to a

> > > > vegetable!

> > > > > > They have a limit of 3 drinks per tray so when I ordered

> > milk, 2

> > > > v8s

> > > > > > and coffee I got a " violation " . They suggested reducing the

> > v8 but

> > > > > > NPO was plying a role and I needed the ~1600mg of K. The next

> > > > > > suggestion was the coffee but I was experiencing caffine

> > > > headache my

> > > > > > morning coffee was coming at 3pm! We finally agreed to have

> > the v8

> > > > > > treated as a snack and when the lady delivered it she moved

> > them

> > > > to

> > > > > > my dinner tray and took the second tray right back with her

> > to the

> > > > > > dishwasher! Call me STUPID, why didn't I think of that!

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I think tht covers it Dr. Grim, What did I miss?

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Did he discuss the evidence that those with sleep apnea may have increased ACTH do to the stress of not getting enough O2 at night? Has your wt stabilized after CPAP or mAybe even gone down some? Some think may also be drive to Aldo. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Apr 22, 2012, at 12:16, <jclark24p@...> wrote:

You have to realize you can't be everything to everyone and this protocol is looking at one portion (genes) to further the knowledge and treatment of HA. I can assure you they are concerned about diet and BMI, etc. The absolute first thing Dr. Moraitis and I talked about was Gastric Bypass! If excess cortisol has been causing weight gain (and depression) for say the last 7 years and caused say 1 1/2 pound weight gain per month you don't have to be a math whiz to see where the last 100+ lbs came from! (Throw in sitting on your butt driving a tour bus and eating fast food if you need to!)

Their job is to look at one specific aspect and let people like you pull it all together, IMHO. And as long as I am offering my opinion, your job (and people like you) need to focus on the whole picture and not put undue emphasis on any one aspect. You must start with a solid foundation so cause/effect and diet are the first step. Proper testing should be next IMHO, what good is the foundation if you immediately go to trial and error and make further testing invalid unless you jump through a bunch of hoops? Don't get me started!

> > > > >

> > > > > > The first time I thought of it was when I got there and the

> > nurse

> > > > > > asked if I'd like something to drink. Poor diet all day so I

> > asked

> > > > > > for L-S V8. WRONG answer but they had plenty of sugarry

> > crap, I

> > > > > > chose water!

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Meet w/nutritionest on day 1 and she knew about DASH and I

> > found

> > > > > > many seemed to know the concept. I pointed out their Nutrition

> > > > pages

> > > > > > did not include values for K and she said she would look

> > into it.

> > > > > > (Fall & Winter menu should be out when I go back so I will

> > check!)

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I gave her an "excellent" for portion control! Do you know the

> > > > > > actual size of a deck of cards or how small a container 1

> > oz. of

> > > > > > raisins will fit in? (Now I have to go to BJ's and buy some

> > small

> > > > > > containers!)

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I suggested they consider offering T. 's 14 day trial

> > as an

> > > > > > optional menu for people to experiement with and she will

> > check it

> > > > > > out. (Also might be an option for people on a "special diet"

> > if

> > > > > > approptiate. Would be a good "take home" since I presume

> > DASH diet

> > > > > > is more widely known than the NIH diet!) This would not work

> > many

> > > > > > days in this protocol because you are NPO much of the time

> > but if

> > > > > > you had an open day you could order a spefic day to test it

> > out!

> > > > > > Just a thought.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > She checked in late in my stay to see how it went and check

> > for

> > > > more

> > > > > > ideas. (believe it or not, I had a couple!) Suggested she

> > consider

> > > > > > smaller dinner plates. Trick the mind into thinking it got a

> > plate

> > > > > > full! How about a smaller fork so the elbow gets its exersize,

> > > > slow

> > > > > > the process by setting the fork down and letting the mind

> > think it

> > > > > > is no longer hungry! (Maybe I should get hold of ,

> > > > Childhood

> > > > > > Obesity, How long is your child's lunch period at school?)

> > > > > >

> > > > > > "Slow down and smell the Roses!" (And that has a special

> > meaning

> > > > for

> > > > > > me. Since my wife's name is Rose I give her a 5 second thought

> > > > > > everytime I think of it - 44 years but who's counting!

> > > > > >

> > > > > > My final recommendation was she change V8 from drink to a

> > > > vegetable!

> > > > > > They have a limit of 3 drinks per tray so when I ordered

> > milk, 2

> > > > v8s

> > > > > > and coffee I got a "violation". They suggested reducing the

> > v8 but

> > > > > > NPO was plying a role and I needed the ~1600mg of K. The next

> > > > > > suggestion was the coffee but I was experiencing caffine

> > > > headache my

> > > > > > morning coffee was coming at 3pm! We finally agreed to have

> > the v8

> > > > > > treated as a snack and when the lady delivered it she moved

> > them

> > > > to

> > > > > > my dinner tray and took the second tray right back with her

> > to the

> > > > > > dishwasher! Call me STUPID, why didn't I think of that!

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I think tht covers it Dr. Grim, What did I miss?

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

AS for me, my weight did go down from an impossible to budge 260 to 220 within a

few months after bi-pap started in 2001 and continues to date. Dropped another

20 lbs after heart surgery in Feb 2010. Rose 15 lbs as HA symptoms began to

increase. Have looked like a barrel on toothpicks since 2000 - skinny legs,

flat butt, smaller hips than abdomen, round moon face. Weight is currently at

212-214 for the last month. Waist has become more defined - 2.5 inches down from

November measurements - face appears more oval - with the exception of the

buffalo hump and dark purple striae (mine were determined to be too pale) I

have had the classic cushingoid appearance since 2000. 100lb weight gain

1999-2000 - periodic " mildly " elevated cortisol levels in 2007. high levels of

aldosterone in January 2012 - Left adrenalectomy March 23 2012.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The first time I thought of it was when I got there and the

> > > > nurse

> > > > > > > > asked if I'd like something to drink. Poor diet all day so I

> > > > asked

> > > > > > > > for L-S V8. WRONG answer but they had plenty of sugarry

> > > > crap, I

> > > > > > > > chose water!

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Meet w/nutritionest on day 1 and she knew about DASH and I

> > > > found

> > > > > > > > many seemed to know the concept. I pointed out their Nutrition

> > > > > > pages

> > > > > > > > did not include values for K and she said she would look

> > > > into it.

> > > > > > > > (Fall & Winter menu should be out when I go back so I will

> > > > check!)

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I gave her an " excellent " for portion control! Do you know the

> > > > > > > > actual size of a deck of cards or how small a container 1

> > > > oz. of

> > > > > > > > raisins will fit in? (Now I have to go to BJ's and buy some

> > > > small

> > > > > > > > containers!)

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I suggested they consider offering T. 's 14 day trial

> > > > as an

> > > > > > > > optional menu for people to experiement with and she will

> > > > check it

> > > > > > > > out. (Also might be an option for people on a " special diet "

> > > > if

> > > > > > > > approptiate. Would be a good " take home " since I presume

> > > > DASH diet

> > > > > > > > is more widely known than the NIH diet!) This would not work

> > > > many

> > > > > > > > days in this protocol because you are NPO much of the time

> > > > but if

> > > > > > > > you had an open day you could order a spefic day to test it

> > > > out!

> > > > > > > > Just a thought.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > She checked in late in my stay to see how it went and check

> > > > for

> > > > > > more

> > > > > > > > ideas. (believe it or not, I had a couple!) Suggested she

> > > > consider

> > > > > > > > smaller dinner plates. Trick the mind into thinking it got a

> > > > plate

> > > > > > > > full! How about a smaller fork so the elbow gets its exersize,

> > > > > > slow

> > > > > > > > the process by setting the fork down and letting the mind

> > > > think it

> > > > > > > > is no longer hungry! (Maybe I should get hold of ,

> > > > > > Childhood

> > > > > > > > Obesity, How long is your child's lunch period at school?)

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > " Slow down and smell the Roses! " (And that has a special

> > > > meaning

> > > > > > for

> > > > > > > > me. Since my wife's name is Rose I give her a 5 second thought

> > > > > > > > everytime I think of it - 44 years but who's counting!

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > My final recommendation was she change V8 from drink to a

> > > > > > vegetable!

> > > > > > > > They have a limit of 3 drinks per tray so when I ordered

> > > > milk, 2

> > > > > > v8s

> > > > > > > > and coffee I got a " violation " . They suggested reducing the

> > > > v8 but

> > > > > > > > NPO was plying a role and I needed the ~1600mg of K. The next

> > > > > > > > suggestion was the coffee but I was experiencing caffine

> > > > > > headache my

> > > > > > > > morning coffee was coming at 3pm! We finally agreed to have

> > > > the v8

> > > > > > > > treated as a snack and when the lady delivered it she moved

> > > > them

> > > > > > to

> > > > > > > > my dinner tray and took the second tray right back with her

> > > > to the

> > > > > > > > dishwasher! Call me STUPID, why didn't I think of that!

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I think tht covers it Dr. Grim, What did I miss?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

We did not discuss OSA causing low O2, maybe because it is a non-issue for me.

My normal daytime O2 is ~94 and on the bi-pap it is 98-99. Settings on bi-pap

are rather high at 19/13.

> > > > > > >

> > > > nurse

> > > > asked

> > > > crap, I

> > > > > > > >

> > > > found

> > > > > > pages

> > > > into it.

> > > > check!)

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I gave her an " excellent " for portion control! Do you know the

> > > > oz. of

> > > > small

> > > > > > > >

> > > > as an

> > > > check it

> > > > > > > > out. (Also might be an option for people on a " special diet "

> > > > if

> > > > > > > > approptiate. Would be a good " take home " since I presume

> > > > DASH diet

> > > > many

> > > > but if

> > > > out!

> > > > > > > >

> > > > for

> > > > > > more

> > > > consider

> > > > plate

> > > > > > slow

> > > > think it

> > > > > > Childhood

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > " Slow down and smell the Roses! " (And that has a special

> > > > meaning

> > > > > > for

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > vegetable!

> > > > milk, 2

> > > > > > v8s

> > > > > > > > and coffee I got a " violation " . They suggested reducing the

> > > > v8 but

> > > > > > headache my

> > > > the v8

> > > > them

> > > > > > to

> > > > to the

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Would you say you logo more or less Cushie after CPAP?Perhaps the most common Endo dx is pseudo Cushing's. The Dx is suspected on any one who is obese and some HTN but rarely confirmed when tested. We are not sure what most of these folks have but could be early Cushing's I suppose. Need long term followup of noncush to see what happens. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Apr 22, 2012, at 20:00, <jclark24p@...> wrote:

We did not discuss OSA causing low O2, maybe because it is a non-issue for me. My normal daytime O2 is ~94 and on the bi-pap it is 98-99. Settings on bi-pap are rather high at 19/13.

> > > > > > >

> > > > nurse

> > > > asked

> > > > crap, I

> > > > > > > >

> > > > found

> > > > > > pages

> > > > into it.

> > > > check!)

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I gave her an "excellent" for portion control! Do you know the

> > > > oz. of

> > > > small

> > > > > > > >

> > > > as an

> > > > check it

> > > > > > > > out. (Also might be an option for people on a "special diet"

> > > > if

> > > > > > > > approptiate. Would be a good "take home" since I presume

> > > > DASH diet

> > > > many

> > > > but if

> > > > out!

> > > > > > > >

> > > > for

> > > > > > more

> > > > consider

> > > > plate

> > > > > > slow

> > > > think it

> > > > > > Childhood

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > "Slow down and smell the Roses!" (And that has a special

> > > > meaning

> > > > > > for

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > vegetable!

> > > > milk, 2

> > > > > > v8s

> > > > > > > > and coffee I got a "violation". They suggested reducing the

> > > > v8 but

> > > > > > headache my

> > > > the v8

> > > > them

> > > > > > to

> > > > to the

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Did you get more active after the OSA was corrected? Even up off the chair a little more than normal?

From: lk.barns <lk.barns@...>Subject: Re: JC at NIH - DASHhyperaldosteronism Date: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 7:03 PM

AS for me, my weight did go down from an impossible to budge 260 to 220 within a few months after bi-pap started in 2001 and continues to date. Dropped another 20 lbs after heart surgery in Feb 2010. Rose 15 lbs as HA symptoms began to increase. Have looked like a barrel on toothpicks since 2000 - skinny legs, flat butt, smaller hips than abdomen, round moon face. Weight is currently at 212-214 for the last month. Waist has become more defined - 2.5 inches down from November measurements - face appears more oval - with the exception of the buffalo hump and dark purple striae (mine were determined to be too pale) I have had the classic cushingoid appearance since 2000. 100lb weight gain 1999-2000 - periodic "mildly" elevated cortisol levels in 2007. high levels of aldosterone in January 2012 - Left adrenalectomy March 23 2012.> > > > > > >> > > > > > > > The first time I thought of it was when I got there and the > > > > nurse> > > > > > > > asked if I'd like something to drink. Poor diet all day so I > > > > asked> > > > > > > > for L-S V8. WRONG answer but they had plenty of sugarry > > > > crap, I> > > > > > > > chose water!> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > Meet w/nutritionest on day 1 and she knew about DASH and I > > > > found> > > > > > > > many seemed to know the concept. I pointed out their Nutrition> > > > > > pages> > > > >

> > > did not include values for K and she said she would look > > > > into it.> > > > > > > > (Fall & Winter menu should be out when I go back so I will > > > > check!)> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > I gave her an "excellent" for portion control! Do you know the> > > > > > > > actual size of a deck of cards or how small a container 1 > > > > oz. of> > > > > > > > raisins will fit in? (Now I have to go to BJ's and buy some > > > > small> > > > > > > > containers!)> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > I suggested they consider offering T. 's 14 day trial > > > > as an> > > > > > > > optional menu for people to

experiement with and she will > > > > check it> > > > > > > > out. (Also might be an option for people on a "special diet" > > > > if> > > > > > > > approptiate. Would be a good "take home" since I presume > > > > DASH diet> > > > > > > > is more widely known than the NIH diet!) This would not work > > > > many> > > > > > > > days in this protocol because you are NPO much of the time > > > > but if> > > > > > > > you had an open day you could order a spefic day to test it > > > > out!> > > > > > > > Just a thought.> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > She checked in late in my stay to see how it went and check > > > > for>

> > > > > more> > > > > > > > ideas. (believe it or not, I had a couple!) Suggested she > > > > consider> > > > > > > > smaller dinner plates. Trick the mind into thinking it got a > > > > plate> > > > > > > > full! How about a smaller fork so the elbow gets its exersize,> > > > > > slow> > > > > > > > the process by setting the fork down and letting the mind > > > > think it> > > > > > > > is no longer hungry! (Maybe I should get hold of ,> > > > > > Childhood> > > > > > > > Obesity, How long is your child's lunch period at school?)> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > "Slow down and smell the Roses!" (And that has a special

> > > > meaning> > > > > > for> > > > > > > > me. Since my wife's name is Rose I give her a 5 second thought> > > > > > > > everytime I think of it - 44 years but who's counting!> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > My final recommendation was she change V8 from drink to a> > > > > > vegetable!> > > > > > > > They have a limit of 3 drinks per tray so when I ordered > > > > milk, 2> > > > > > v8s> > > > > > > > and coffee I got a "violation". They suggested reducing the > > > > v8 but> > > > > > > > NPO was plying a role and I needed the ~1600mg of K. The next> > > > > > > > suggestion was the coffee but I was experiencing

caffine> > > > > > headache my> > > > > > > > morning coffee was coming at 3pm! We finally agreed to have > > > > the v8> > > > > > > > treated as a snack and when the lady delivered it she moved > > > > them> > > > > > to> > > > > > > > my dinner tray and took the second tray right back with her > > > > to the> > > > > > > > dishwasher! Call me STUPID, why didn't I think of that!> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > I think tht covers it Dr. Grim, What did I miss?> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > >> > > > > >> > > > > >> > > > >> > >

>> > > >> > >> > > >>

Guest guest

I was able to sleep well and was much more rested and therefore able to be " up

out of the chair or the bed " more. However, I did restart my exercise program

of daily walking 3 miles after I was back down to 220-225 until 2007 - I did eat

less because I was no longer trying to stay awake with caffine and sugar.

However after correcting eating habits and daily walking plus yoga 3-4x a week -

weight remained the same, calves and thighs became firmer but barrel abdomen

became larger - stayed between 220 & 225 until 2010.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > The first time I thought of it was when I got there and the

> > > > > nurse

> > > > > > > > > asked if I'd like something to drink. Poor diet all day so I

> > > > > asked

> > > > > > > > > for L-S V8. WRONG answer but they had plenty of sugarry

> > > > > crap, I

> > > > > > > > > chose water!

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Meet w/nutritionest on day 1 and she knew about DASH and I

> > > > > found

> > > > > > > > > many seemed to know the concept. I pointed out their Nutrition

> > > > > > > pages

> > > > > > > > > did not include values for K and she said she would look

> > > > > into it.

> > > > > > > > > (Fall & Winter menu should be out when I go back so I will

> > > > > check!)

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > I gave her an " excellent " for portion control! Do you know the

> > > > > > > > > actual size of a deck of cards or how small a container 1

> > > > > oz. of

> > > > > > > > > raisins will fit in? (Now I have to go to BJ's and buy some

> > > > > small

> > > > > > > > > containers!)

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > I suggested they consider offering T. 's 14 day trial

> > > > > as an

> > > > > > > > > optional menu for people to experiement with and she will

> > > > > check it

> > > > > > > > > out. (Also might be an option for people on a " special diet "

> > > > > if

> > > > > > > > > approptiate. Would be a good " take home " since I presume

> > > > > DASH diet

> > > > > > > > > is more widely known than the NIH diet!) This would not work

> > > > > many

> > > > > > > > > days in this protocol because you are NPO much of the time

> > > > > but if

> > > > > > > > > you had an open day you could order a spefic day to test it

> > > > > out!

> > > > > > > > > Just a thought.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > She checked in late in my stay to see how it went and check

> > > > > for

> > > > > > > more

> > > > > > > > > ideas. (believe it or not, I had a couple!) Suggested she

> > > > > consider

> > > > > > > > > smaller dinner plates. Trick the mind into thinking it got a

> > > > > plate

> > > > > > > > > full! How about a smaller fork so the elbow gets its exersize,

> > > > > > > slow

> > > > > > > > > the process by setting the fork down and letting the mind

> > > > > think it

> > > > > > > > > is no longer hungry! (Maybe I should get hold of ,

> > > > > > > Childhood

> > > > > > > > > Obesity, How long is your child's lunch period at school?)

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > " Slow down and smell the Roses! " (And that has a special

> > > > > meaning

> > > > > > > for

> > > > > > > > > me. Since my wife's name is Rose I give her a 5 second thought

> > > > > > > > > everytime I think of it - 44 years but who's counting!

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > My final recommendation was she change V8 from drink to a

> > > > > > > vegetable!

> > > > > > > > > They have a limit of 3 drinks per tray so when I ordered

> > > > > milk, 2

> > > > > > > v8s

> > > > > > > > > and coffee I got a " violation " . They suggested reducing the

> > > > > v8 but

> > > > > > > > > NPO was plying a role and I needed the ~1600mg of K. The next

> > > > > > > > > suggestion was the coffee but I was experiencing caffine

> > > > > > > headache my

> > > > > > > > > morning coffee was coming at 3pm! We finally agreed to have

> > > > > the v8

> > > > > > > > > treated as a snack and when the lady delivered it she moved

> > > > > them

> > > > > > > to

> > > > > > > > > my dinner tray and took the second tray right back with her

> > > > > to the

> > > > > > > > > dishwasher! Call me STUPID, why didn't I think of that!

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > I think tht covers it Dr. Grim, What did I miss?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Eat less. CE grim MD May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Apr 23, 2012, at 19:25, "lk.barns" <lk.barns@...> wrote:

I was able to sleep well and was much more rested and therefore able to be "up out of the chair or the bed" more. However, I did restart my exercise program of daily walking 3 miles after I was back down to 220-225 until 2007 - I did eat less because I was no longer trying to stay awake with caffine and sugar. However after correcting eating habits and daily walking plus yoga 3-4x a week - weight remained the same, calves and thighs became firmer but barrel abdomen became larger - stayed between 220 & 225 until 2010.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > The first time I thought of it was when I got there and the

> > > > > nurse

> > > > > > > > > asked if I'd like something to drink. Poor diet all day so I

> > > > > asked

> > > > > > > > > for L-S V8. WRONG answer but they had plenty of sugarry

> > > > > crap, I

> > > > > > > > > chose water!

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Meet w/nutritionest on day 1 and she knew about DASH and I

> > > > > found

> > > > > > > > > many seemed to know the concept. I pointed out their Nutrition

> > > > > > > pages

> > > > > > > > > did not include values for K and she said she would look

> > > > > into it.

> > > > > > > > > (Fall & Winter menu should be out when I go back so I will

> > > > > check!)

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > I gave her an "excellent" for portion control! Do you know the

> > > > > > > > > actual size of a deck of cards or how small a container 1

> > > > > oz. of

> > > > > > > > > raisins will fit in? (Now I have to go to BJ's and buy some

> > > > > small

> > > > > > > > > containers!)

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > I suggested they consider offering T. 's 14 day trial

> > > > > as an

> > > > > > > > > optional menu for people to experiement with and she will

> > > > > check it

> > > > > > > > > out. (Also might be an option for people on a "special diet"

> > > > > if

> > > > > > > > > approptiate. Would be a good "take home" since I presume

> > > > > DASH diet

> > > > > > > > > is more widely known than the NIH diet!) This would not work

> > > > > many

> > > > > > > > > days in this protocol because you are NPO much of the time

> > > > > but if

> > > > > > > > > you had an open day you could order a spefic day to test it

> > > > > out!

> > > > > > > > > Just a thought.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > She checked in late in my stay to see how it went and check

> > > > > for

> > > > > > > more

> > > > > > > > > ideas. (believe it or not, I had a couple!) Suggested she

> > > > > consider

> > > > > > > > > smaller dinner plates. Trick the mind into thinking it got a

> > > > > plate

> > > > > > > > > full! How about a smaller fork so the elbow gets its exersize,

> > > > > > > slow

> > > > > > > > > the process by setting the fork down and letting the mind

> > > > > think it

> > > > > > > > > is no longer hungry! (Maybe I should get hold of ,

> > > > > > > Childhood

> > > > > > > > > Obesity, How long is your child's lunch period at school?)

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > "Slow down and smell the Roses!" (And that has a special

> > > > > meaning

> > > > > > > for

> > > > > > > > > me. Since my wife's name is Rose I give her a 5 second thought

> > > > > > > > > everytime I think of it - 44 years but who's counting!

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > My final recommendation was she change V8 from drink to a

> > > > > > > vegetable!

> > > > > > > > > They have a limit of 3 drinks per tray so when I ordered

> > > > > milk, 2

> > > > > > > v8s

> > > > > > > > > and coffee I got a "violation". They suggested reducing the

> > > > > v8 but

> > > > > > > > > NPO was plying a role and I needed the ~1600mg of K. The next

> > > > > > > > > suggestion was the coffee but I was experiencing caffine

> > > > > > > headache my

> > > > > > > > > morning coffee was coming at 3pm! We finally agreed to have

> > > > > the v8

> > > > > > > > > treated as a snack and when the lady delivered it she moved

> > > > > them

> > > > > > > to

> > > > > > > > > my dinner tray and took the second tray right back with her

> > > > > to the

> > > > > > > > > dishwasher! Call me STUPID, why didn't I think of that!

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > I think tht covers it Dr. Grim, What did I miss?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

So if prob has been due to that adrenal making too much cortisol should be getting better. And indeed you may have needed cortisol after surgery for awhile. CE Grim MD On Apr 22, 2012, at 7:03 PM, lk.barns wrote: AS for me, my weight did go down from an impossible to budge 260 to 220 within a few months after bi-pap started in 2001 and continues to date. Dropped another 20 lbs after heart surgery in Feb 2010. Rose 15 lbs as HA symptoms began to increase. Have looked like a barrel on toothpicks since 2000 - skinny legs, flat butt, smaller hips than abdomen, round moon face. Weight is currently at 212-214 for the last month. Waist has become more defined - 2.5 inches down from November measurements - face appears more oval - with the exception of the buffalo hump and dark purple striae (mine were determined to be too pale) I have had the classic cushingoid appearance since 2000. 100lb weight gain 1999-2000 - periodic "mildly" elevated cortisol levels in 2007. high levels of aldosterone in January 2012 - Left adrenalectomy March 23 2012. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > The first time I thought of it was when I got there and the > > > > nurse > > > > > > > > asked if I'd like something to drink. Poor diet all day so I > > > > asked > > > > > > > > for L-S V8. WRONG answer but they had plenty of sugarry > > > > crap, I > > > > > > > > chose water! > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Meet w/nutritionest on day 1 and she knew about DASH and I > > > > found > > > > > > > > many seemed to know the concept. I pointed out their Nutrition > > > > > > pages > > > > > > > > did not include values for K and she said she would look > > > > into it. > > > > > > > > (Fall & Winter menu should be out when I go back so I will > > > > check!) > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I gave her an "excellent" for portion control! Do you know the > > > > > > > > actual size of a deck of cards or how small a container 1 > > > > oz. of > > > > > > > > raisins will fit in? (Now I have to go to BJ's and buy some > > > > small > > > > > > > > containers!) > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I suggested they consider offering T. 's 14 day trial > > > > as an > > > > > > > > optional menu for people to experiement with and she will > > > > check it > > > > > > > > out. (Also might be an option for people on a "special diet" > > > > if > > > > > > > > approptiate. Would be a good "take home" since I presume > > > > DASH diet > > > > > > > > is more widely known than the NIH diet!) This would not work > > > > many > > > > > > > > days in this protocol because you are NPO much of the time > > > > but if > > > > > > > > you had an open day you could order a spefic day to test it > > > > out! > > > > > > > > Just a thought. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > She checked in late in my stay to see how it went and check > > > > for > > > > > > more > > > > > > > > ideas. (believe it or not, I had a couple!) Suggested she > > > > consider > > > > > > > > smaller dinner plates. Trick the mind into thinking it got a > > > > plate > > > > > > > > full! How about a smaller fork so the elbow gets its exersize, > > > > > > slow > > > > > > > > the process by setting the fork down and letting the mind > > > > think it > > > > > > > > is no longer hungry! (Maybe I should get hold of , > > > > > > Childhood > > > > > > > > Obesity, How long is your child's lunch period at school?) > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > "Slow down and smell the Roses!" (And that has a special > > > > meaning > > > > > > for > > > > > > > > me. Since my wife's name is Rose I give her a 5 second thought > > > > > > > > everytime I think of it - 44 years but who's counting! > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > My final recommendation was she change V8 from drink to a > > > > > > vegetable! > > > > > > > > They have a limit of 3 drinks per tray so when I ordered > > > > milk, 2 > > > > > > v8s > > > > > > > > and coffee I got a "violation". They suggested reducing the > > > > v8 but > > > > > > > > NPO was plying a role and I needed the ~1600mg of K. The next > > > > > > > > suggestion was the coffee but I was experiencing caffine > > > > > > headache my > > > > > > > > morning coffee was coming at 3pm! We finally agreed to have > > > > the v8 > > > > > > > > treated as a snack and when the lady delivered it she moved > > > > them > > > > > > to > > > > > > > > my dinner tray and took the second tray right back with her > > > > to the > > > > > > > > dishwasher! Call me STUPID, why didn't I think of that! > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I think tht covers it Dr. Grim, What did I miss? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >