RemedySpot.com

Labs

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Blood pressure was running 160/110 to 170/120 most days. I have been dashing to

extreme and have been consistent 120/80 eating only 500 mg of sodium or less per

day. My kidney doctor said I have salt sensitive kidneys. As long as I keep my

Bp down he will not prescribe spiro or elperone. Anyone else feel lousy even

after having 100 mg sodium in their meal? I asked to start spiro but was refused

because I got my Bp down with diet. As for now he does not plan to follow up

with me.

On a positive note I have lost thirty pounds! I have been very careful about

calorie counting and still unable to lose weight. This low salt thing is

working.

NA 24 normal 9-23

Potassium 3.9 Normal 3.5-5.2

Aldosterone 9.96 normal 0-19

Renin .84

These were taken right before I started dash.

Thoughts?

Guest guest

Thanks .I don't see a result for potassium on the urine test only serum. And Na is 118 with no reference range.I started dash January 3rd.I am eating mostly veggies, brown rice, fruit and raw nuts. I am not eating very much protein and no bread, very little dairy. The only seasonings I use are of the dash variety or without salt,no ketchup,soy sauce,mayo etc.No fast food and no pre packaged food. I am having a tough time and working very diligently to keep my sodium down. Even at 1000 mg/ day I didn't feel very well. Seems like the less salt I consume the more I can feel when I have even the smallest bit. I explained that to my nephrologist and asked to get some help with meds but he refused since I was able to get my pressure low enough with diet alone. He said if my blood pressure starts to go up again then he will consider.It is so hard to maintain at 500 mg per day. I don't know what to do.Sent from my iPadOn Mar 26, 2012, at 11:18 AM, " " <jclark24p@...> wrote:

When did you start DASHing? How are you keeping your sodium so low, most have to work to keep it down to 1500mg. Be sure you are reading every label and paying attention to portion control.

Are your NA and K numbers from a urine test? (Those are the numbers you want.)

With that said, I agree with your doctor unless something else is going on that you haven't told us about. Why would you introduce the side effects of medicines if you don't need them?

>

> Blood pressure was running 160/110 to 170/120 most days. I have been dashing to extreme and have been consistent 120/80 eating only 500 mg of sodium or less per day. My kidney doctor said I have salt sensitive kidneys. As long as I keep my Bp down he will not prescribe spiro or elperone. Anyone else feel lousy even after having 100 mg sodium in their meal? I asked to start spiro but was refused because I got my Bp down with diet. As for now he does not plan to follow up with me.

> On a positive note I have lost thirty pounds! I have been very careful about calorie counting and still unable to lose weight. This low salt thing is working.

>

> NA 24 normal 9-23

> Potassium 3.9 Normal 3.5-5.2

> Aldosterone 9.96 normal 0-19

> Renin .84

> These were taken right before I started dash.

> Thoughts?

>

=

Guest guest

I would consider checking with a dietician about your food plan I had a friend

who got real sick from not eating enough protein. I also wonder what Dr. Grim

or think.

Lucy Sage

Please forgive brevity & typos

Sent from my droid

Kainz <teresakainz@...> wrote:

>Thanks .

>I don't see a result for potassium on the urine test only serum. And Na is 118

with no reference range.

>I started dash January 3rd.I am eating mostly veggies, brown rice, fruit and

raw nuts. I am not eating very much protein and no bread, very little dairy. The

only seasonings I use are of the dash variety or without salt,no ketchup,soy

sauce,mayo etc.No fast food and no pre packaged food. I am having a tough time

and working very diligently to keep my sodium down. Even at 1000 mg/ day I

didn't feel very well. Seems like the less salt I consume the more I can feel

when I have even the smallest bit. I explained that to my nephrologist and asked

to get some help with meds but he refused since I was able to get my pressure

low enough with diet alone. He said if my blood pressure starts to go up again

then he will consider.It is so hard to maintain at 500 mg per day. I don't know

what to do.

>

>Sent from my iPad

>

>On Mar 26, 2012, at 11:18 AM, " " <jclark24p@...> wrote:

>

>> When did you start DASHing? How are you keeping your sodium so low, most have

to work to keep it down to 1500mg. Be sure you are reading every label and

paying attention to portion control.

>>

>> Are your NA and K numbers from a urine test? (Those are the numbers you

want.)

>>

>> With that said, I agree with your doctor unless something else is going on

that you haven't told us about. Why would you introduce the side effects of

medicines if you don't need them?

>>

>>

>> >

>> > Blood pressure was running 160/110 to 170/120 most days. I have been

dashing to extreme and have been consistent 120/80 eating only 500 mg of sodium

or less per day. My kidney doctor said I have salt sensitive kidneys. As long as

I keep my Bp down he will not prescribe spiro or elperone. Anyone else feel

lousy even after having 100 mg sodium in their meal? I asked to start spiro but

was refused because I got my Bp down with diet. As for now he does not plan to

follow up with me.

>> > On a positive note I have lost thirty pounds! I have been very careful

about calorie counting and still unable to lose weight. This low salt thing is

working.

>> >

>> > NA 24 normal 9-23

>> > Potassium 3.9 Normal 3.5-5.2

>> > Aldosterone 9.96 normal 0-19

>> > Renin .84

>> > These were taken right before I started dash.

>> > Thoughts?

>> >

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> TODAY(Beta) • Powered by

>> Race car driver reviews new Mustang GT

>> What happens when a driver used to triple-digit speeds takes a classic muscle

car on regular roads?

>> Privacy Policy

Guest guest

Seconding that. Some years back when I was vegan my diet was pretty similar -

rice, veggies, little else - and I ended up with B12 and zinc deficiency. Pretty

serious stuff. Both of these are nutrients that are really hard to get from

plant-based sources.

What posted seems pretty similar to the " Rice diet " that Dr. G promotes

here sometimes.

> >> >

> >> > Blood pressure was running 160/110 to 170/120 most days. I have been

or less per day. My kidney doctor said I have salt sensitive kidneys. As long as

follow up with me.

> >> > On a positive note I have lost thirty pounds! I have been very careful

working.

> >> >

> >> > NA 24 normal 9-23

> >> > Potassium 3.9 Normal 3.5-5.2

> >> > Aldosterone 9.96 normal 0-19

> >> > Renin .84

> >> > These were taken right before I started dash.

> >> > Thoughts?

> >> >

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >> TODAY(Beta) • Powered by

> >> Race car driver reviews new Mustang GT

> >> What happens when a driver used to triple-digit speeds takes a classic

muscle car on regular roads?

> >> Privacy Policy

>

Guest guest

I agree msmith and Lucy. I too went vegetarian years back and wasn't doing

something correctly, as my hair started falling out and I felt terrible. Adding

more protein made all the difference.

, your labs look similar to mine (early PA). I too am extremely salt

sensitive and am holding my daily intake to around 500 mg. It seems when I go

over 500 mg of Na I don't feel very well and my BP is harder to control.

Don't forget the potassium side of the DASH diet as you want around 4800 mg. per

day.

I have been eating low Na and high K for about a year now and have adjusted

well.

I too eat non packaged foods, no sauces, very little eating out. In addition I

have some food allergies to consider. I have become an avid reader of food

labels.

Here are some ideas of meals for you:

Breakfast

Eggs (I cook mine in organic, non-salted ghee)

Fresh Fruit

Smoothies (if you add protein powder check the label for additives which are

common)

Dairy (great if you can tolerate milk - watch out for Na content in cheese and

cottage cheese)

Oatmeal (not instant - use old fashioned oats if you can tolerate gluten)

Juice (watch out for added sugar) I LOVE fresh squeezed orange juice

Watch out for bacon and sausage, breakfast cereals, breakfast bars, baked goods.

When I do eat out for breakfast I order 2 eggs over hard, no salt added

(scrambled eggs and omelets are sometimes made out of a pre-made egg mix that

may have additives in it) and a dish of fresh fruit.

Lunch and Dinner

Protein

Veggies

Fresh Fruit

Sometimes brown rice

Added organic olive oil (can't forget that we need some fat in our diet too)

Watch out for sodium infused meats. I buy all organic, grass fed (if possible),

no sodium added meats.

As far as seasonings go, garlic powder is my friend. I love garlic. Also love

to use fresh peppers and onions to cook with.

Use your beef or chicken bones to make broth. Use this broth in cooking or to

simply have a warm drink on occasion.

I also make sure that I have my favorite snacks in supply, should I get hungry

mid day:

- sliced apples with roasted almonds and raisins

- Lara bars

Real treats:

- Bare Naked juices

- Jamba Juice

- grilled sliced apples (tastes like apple pie)

Dr. Grim is a big advocate of low sodium V-8 juice to add K to your diet.

Based on the reviews I have seen on this board regarding medication side

effects, I am working my hardest to go dietary route first. I know there may be

coming a day when medication is necessary and I accept that. However, if I can

hold off as long as possible then I plan on doing so.

I actually embrace my way of eating now (wasn't easy at first). The flavors of

foods without enhancement are wonderful.

Head on over to www.sodiumgirl.com for great ideas on living in a low sodium

world. Her recipes are wonderful.

> > >> >

> > >> > Blood pressure was running 160/110 to 170/120 most days. I have been

follow up with me.

> > >> > On a positive note I have lost thirty pounds! I have been very careful

working.

> > >> >

> > >> > NA 24 normal 9-23

> > >> > Potassium 3.9 Normal 3.5-5.2

> > >> > Aldosterone 9.96 normal 0-19

> > >> > Renin .84

> > >> > These were taken right before I started dash.

> > >> > Thoughts?

> > >> >

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >> TODAY(Beta) • Powered by

> > >> Race car driver reviews new Mustang GT

> > >> What happens when a driver used to triple-digit speeds takes a classic

muscle car on regular roads?

> > >> Privacy Policy

> >

>

Guest guest

And look out for milks, butters, sauces, as those types of things have alot of hidden sodium and I have found can mess me up fast

From: dsmemory <dsmemory@...>Subject: Re: Labshyperaldosteronism Date: Monday, March 26, 2012, 3:44 PM

I agree msmith and Lucy. I too went vegetarian years back and wasn't doing something correctly, as my hair started falling out and I felt terrible. Adding more protein made all the difference., your labs look similar to mine (early PA). I too am extremely salt sensitive and am holding my daily intake to around 500 mg. It seems when I go over 500 mg of Na I don't feel very well and my BP is harder to control. Don't forget the potassium side of the DASH diet as you want around 4800 mg. per day. I have been eating low Na and high K for about a year now and have adjusted well.I too eat non packaged foods, no sauces, very little eating out. In addition I have some food allergies to consider. I have become an avid reader of food labels.Here are some ideas of meals for you:BreakfastEggs (I cook mine in organic, non-salted ghee)Fresh FruitSmoothies (if you add protein powder check the

label for additives which are common)Dairy (great if you can tolerate milk - watch out for Na content in cheese and cottage cheese)Oatmeal (not instant - use old fashioned oats if you can tolerate gluten)Juice (watch out for added sugar) I LOVE fresh squeezed orange juiceWatch out for bacon and sausage, breakfast cereals, breakfast bars, baked goods.When I do eat out for breakfast I order 2 eggs over hard, no salt added (scrambled eggs and omelets are sometimes made out of a pre-made egg mix that may have additives in it) and a dish of fresh fruit.Lunch and DinnerProtein Veggies Fresh FruitSometimes brown riceAdded organic olive oil (can't forget that we need some fat in our diet too)Watch out for sodium infused meats. I buy all organic, grass fed (if possible), no sodium added meats.As far as seasonings go, garlic powder is my friend. I love garlic. Also love to use fresh

peppers and onions to cook with.Use your beef or chicken bones to make broth. Use this broth in cooking or to simply have a warm drink on occasion.I also make sure that I have my favorite snacks in supply, should I get hungry mid day:- sliced apples with roasted almonds and raisins- Lara barsReal treats:- Bare Naked juices- Jamba Juice- grilled sliced apples (tastes like apple pie)Dr. Grim is a big advocate of low sodium V-8 juice to add K to your diet. Based on the reviews I have seen on this board regarding medication side effects, I am working my hardest to go dietary route first. I know there may be coming a day when medication is necessary and I accept that. However, if I can hold off as long as possible then I plan on doing so.I actually embrace my way of eating now (wasn't easy at first). The flavors of foods without enhancement are wonderful.Head on over to

www.sodiumgirl.com for great ideas on living in a low sodium world. Her recipes are wonderful.> > >> >> > >> > Blood pressure was running 160/110 to 170/120 most days. I have been dashing to extreme and have been consistent 120/80 eating only 500 mg of sodium or less per day. My kidney doctor said I have salt sensitive kidneys. As long as I keep my Bp

down he will not prescribe spiro or elperone. Anyone else feel lousy even after having 100 mg sodium in their meal? I asked to start spiro but was refused because I got my Bp down with diet. As for now he does not plan to follow up with me.> > >> > On a positive note I have lost thirty pounds! I have been very careful about calorie counting and still unable to lose weight. This low salt thing is working.> > >> > > > >> > NA 24 normal 9-23> > >> > Potassium 3.9 Normal 3.5-5.2> > >> > Aldosterone 9.96 normal 0-19> > >> > Renin .84> > >> > These were taken right before I started dash.> > >> > Thoughts?> > >> >> > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> TODAY(Beta) • Powered by > > >> Race

car driver reviews new Mustang GT> > >> What happens when a driver used to triple-digit speeds takes a classic muscle car on regular roads?> > >> Privacy Policy> >>

Guest guest

Are u talking about a 24 hr urine or a spot urine. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 26, 2012, at 11:18, <jclark24p@...> wrote:

When did you start DASHing? How are you keeping your sodium so low, most have to work to keep it down to 1500mg. Be sure you are reading every label and paying attention to portion control.

With that said, I agree with your doctor unless something else is going on that you haven't told us about. Why would you introduce the side effects of medicines if you don't need them?

>

> Blood pressure was running 160/110 to 170/120 most days. I have been dashing to extreme and have been consistent 120/80 eating only 500 mg of sodium or less per day. My kidney doctor said I have salt sensitive kidneys. As long as I keep my Bp down he will not prescribe spiro or elperone. Anyone else feel lousy even after having 100 mg sodium in their meal? I asked to start spiro but was refused because I got my Bp down with diet. As for now he does not plan to follow up with me.

> On a positive note I have lost thirty pounds! I have been very careful about calorie counting and still unable to lose weight. This low salt thing is working.

>

> NA 24 normal 9-23

> Renin .84

> Thoughts?

>

Guest guest

Keep up the good work. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 26, 2012, at 12:16, Kainz <teresakainz@...> wrote:

Thanks .I don't see a result for potassium on the urine test only serum. And Na is 118 with no reference range.I started dash January 3rd.I am eating mostly veggies, brown rice, fruit and raw nuts. I am not eating very much protein and no bread, very little dairy. The only seasonings I use are of the dash variety or without salt,no ketchup,soy sauce,mayo etc.No fast food and no pre packaged food. I am having a tough time and working very diligently to keep my sodium down. Even at 1000 mg/ day I didn't feel very well. Seems like the less salt I consume the more I can feel when I have even the smallest bit. I explained that to my nephrologist and asked to get some help with meds but he refused since I was able to get my pressure low enough with diet alone. He said if my blood pressure starts to go up again then he will consider.It is so hard to maintain at 500 mg per day. I don't know what to do.Sent from my iPadOn Mar 26,

2012, at 11:18 AM, " " <jclark24p@...> wrote:

>

>

> NA 24 normal 9-23

> Renin .84

> Thoughts?

>

=

Guest guest

It is very difficult to. It eat enough protein unless you are not eating enough. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 26, 2012, at 12:47, Lucy Sage <paintsonedges@...> wrote:

I would consider checking with a dietician about your food plan I had a friend who got real sick from not eating enough protein. I also wonder what Dr. Grim or think.

Lucy Sage

Please forgive brevity & typos

Sent from my droid

Kainz <teresakainz@...> wrote:

>Thanks .

>I don't see a result for potassium on the urine test only serum. And Na is 118 with no reference range.

>I started dash January 3rd.I am eating mostly veggies, brown rice, fruit and raw nuts. I am not eating very much protein and no bread, very little dairy. The only seasonings I use are of the dash variety or without salt,no ketchup,soy sauce,mayo etc.No fast food and no pre packaged food. I am having a tough time and working very diligently to keep my sodium down. Even at 1000 mg/ day I didn't feel very well. Seems like the less salt I consume the more I can feel when I have even the smallest bit. I explained that to my nephrologist and asked to get some help with meds but he refused since I was able to get my pressure low enough with diet alone. He said if my blood pressure starts to go up again then he will consider.It is so hard to maintain at 500 mg per day. I don't know what to do.

>

>Sent from my iPad

>

>On Mar 26, 2012, at 11:18 AM, " " <jclark24p@...> wrote:

>

>> When did you start DASHing? How are you keeping your sodium so low, most have to work to keep it down to 1500mg. Be sure you are reading every label and paying attention to portion control.

>>

>> Are your NA and K numbers from a urine test? (Those are the numbers you want.)

>>

>> With that said, I agree with your doctor unless something else is going on that you haven't told us about. Why would you introduce the side effects of medicines if you don't need them?

>>

>>

>> >

>> > Blood pressure was running 160/110 to 170/120 most days. I have been dashing to extreme and have been consistent 120/80 eating only 500 mg of sodium or less per day. My kidney doctor said I have salt sensitive kidneys. As long as I keep my Bp down he will not prescribe spiro or elperone. Anyone else feel lousy even after having 100 mg sodium in their meal? I asked to start spiro but was refused because I got my Bp down with diet. As for now he does not plan to follow up with me.

>> > On a positive note I have lost thirty pounds! I have been very careful about calorie counting and still unable to lose weight. This low salt thing is working.

>> >

>> > NA 24 normal 9-23

>> > Potassium 3.9 Normal 3.5-5.2

>> > Aldosterone 9.96 normal 0-19

>> > Renin .84

>> > These were taken right before I started dash.

>> > Thoughts?

>> >

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> TODAY(Beta) • Powered by

>> Race car driver reviews new Mustang GT

>> What happens when a driver used to triple-digit speeds takes a classic muscle car on regular roads?

>> Privacy Policy

Guest guest

24 hr urine sodium 118 with no reference range. K is serum.Sent from my iPadOn Mar 26, 2012, at 10:07 PM, Clarence Grim <lowerbp2@...> wrote:

Are u talking about a 24 hr urine or a spot urine. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 26, 2012, at 11:18, <jclark24p@...> wrote:

>

>

> NA 24 normal 9-23

> Renin .84

> Thoughts?

>

=

Guest guest

The goalS for DASH ARE1. Have more K than Na in urine (which rejects diet)2. To eaters thAn 1500 mg Na a day or have urine Na less that 67 mper 24 hours 3. To eat at least 4700 mg K per day. So urine should be more than 110 mM. So if the urine Na is 118 you Are eating nearly 2 x as much Na as desired with DASH. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 26, 2012, at 22:42, Kainz <teresakainz@...> wrote:

24 hr urine sodium 118 with no reference range. K is serum.Sent from my iPadOn Mar 26, 2012, at 10:07 PM, Clarence Grim <lowerbp2@...> wrote:

>

>

> NA 24 normal 9-23

> Renin .84

> Thoughts?

>

=

Guest guest

Thank you Dr. Grim! These are pre dash labs, all I have though.Have you had any patients with adrenal insufficiency at times? From: Clarence Grim <lowerbp2@...> "hyperaldosteronism " <hyperaldosteronism > Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:59 AM Subject: Re: Re: Labs

The goalS for DASH ARE1. Have more K than Na in urine (which rejects diet)2. To eaters thAn 1500 mg Na a day or have urine Na less that 67 mper 24 hours 3. To eat at least 4700 mg K per day. So urine should be more than 110 mM. So if the urine Na is 118 you Are eating nearly 2 x as much Na as desired with DASH. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Mar 26, 2012, at 22:42, Kainz <teresakainz@...> wrote:

>

>

> NA 24 normal 9-23

> Renin .84

> Thoughts?

>

=