Hi,

I am not on Spiro or Epler.

As far as sodium is concerned, that is where it gets REALLY weird. When I had

hyperaldosteronism in 2010, I had severe headaches(worse upon awakening) ,

dizziness, and elevated BP to the point of being non-functioning. Large amounts

of sodium would relieve the headache and dizziness and my BP would drop back to

its normal 90/60. Why would large amounts of sodium make feel better and reduce

my BP???

None of my doctors could figure that one out.

Regarding the Synthroid: I am now taking Erfa thyroid which is a natural

dessicated thyroid medication. It is available in Canada(I am in the US) and I

pay out of pocket for it. It contains T1, T2, T3, T4, and calcitonin. The

thyroid gland manufactures a small amount of T3, but the bulk of T3 needed by

the body is converted in other parts of the body, most notably the liver. My

doctors never gave a reason as to why I don't seem to convert, they just said

some people don't convert well. As a result of the direct T3 in my thyroid

medication TSH will be supressed.

I'm glad to hear someone noticed the startle reflex. I know it's from the

hyperaldo, since I do not experience it when my aldosterone is in normal range.

As far as potassium supplementation causing the hyperaldosteronism, my

doctor(and I ) believe it did, as crazy and unusual as it seems. In response to

the huge dose of potassium I was on (160meq) which never raised my potassium

past 3.9, my doctor thinks my adrenals were pushing out aldosterone to drive

down my potassium level and protect from what they perceived as lethal amounts

of potassium. I was weaned off the Klor Con potassium supplement over a month's

time, and had labs weekly. No matter what my dose of potassium was my serum

level held steady at 3.8 and within a month my aldosterone had dropped

considerably. Two months later my aldosterone was in the middle of normal range

and all my symptoms disappeared.

I just talked to my endocrinologist and she wants to make sure that this isn't

just a low magesium issue(as we thought it was before), so I am going to raise

my magnesium dose and continue a high potassium diet and get aldosterone drawn

again in two weeks, along with a 24 hour urine test.

Although my potassium has been running low, my endocrinologist does not want to

prescribe potassium supplementation after what happened last time.

She is baffled by this. Something has screwed up the way I process electrolytes

and it is a mystery. It began with my total thyroidectomy in 2008.

If the aldosterone doesn't go back to normal with extra magnesium I will have a

CT scan to rule out a tumor.

>

> > I was posting here in late 2010, as I had been diagnosed with

> > hyperaldosteronism. It appeared to be secondary aldosteronism caused

> > by the prescription potassium supplement that I was taking. I was

> > weaned off the potassium medication and with 2 months the

> > hyperaldosteronism resolved and labs went back to normal.

> > I have been having some weird symptoms again, and sure enough the

> > high aldosterone is back.

> >

> > Here are the labs that were done:

> >

> > Sodium 139 (136-145)

> > Potassium 3.8 (3.5-145)

> > Chloride 103 (98-107)

> > CO2 26 (21-32)

> > Ion Gap 14 (10-18)

> > BUN 10 (7-18)

> > Creatinine .49 L (.51-.95)

> > EST GFR >60 (>60)

> > Glucose 92 (70-99)

> > Calcium 7.7 L (8.5-10.1)

> > Phosphorous 3.8 (2.5-4.9)

> > Magnesium 1.9 (1.8-2.4)

> >

> > TSH <.005 L (.358-3.7)

> > Free T3 3.70 (2.18-3.98)

> > Free T4 .92 (.76-1.46)

> >

> > PTH <3 L (14-72)

> > Vitamin D 49 (30-100)

> >

> > ACTH Hormone 19 (10-60)

> > Cortisol AM 13.6 (4.3-22.4)

> > Cortisol PM 3.4 (3.0-16.7)

> > Aldosterone 25 H (<21)

> > Renin 1.4 (NA deplete, upright. Mean 5.9, 2.9-10.8)

> > (NA replete, upright. Mean 1.0, <.6-3.0)

> >

> > Has anyone had hyperaldosteronism come and go like this?

> > Since it seemed to resolve itself I never had a scan done for a

> > tumor; now I'm wondering if it could be a tumor since it is back but

> > I am no longer taking the medication that we assumed caused it. The

> > last time I had aldosterone tested was January of 2011, so between

> > then and now it hasn't been tested. I guess it's possible it could

> > have been high in the meantime but I didn't know it and it wasn't

> > being tested. I've felt pretty crappy but I have a lot of other

> > medical conditions that I blame it on.

> > Also---does anyone else here with high aldosterone have heat

> > intolerance and red facial flushing(not rosacea)?

> >

> > Thank you,

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Need to DX PA before doing CT most would say.Need details on exactly what meds you were on and how you were eating during these times.CE Grim MDOn May 3, 2012, at 5:25 PM, Dillon wrote: Hi, I am not on Spiro or Epler. As far as sodium is concerned, that is where it gets REALLY weird. When I had hyperaldosteronism in 2010, I had severe headaches(worse upon awakening) , dizziness, and elevated BP to the point of being non-functioning. Large amounts of sodium would relieve the headache and dizziness and my BP would drop back to its normal 90/60. Why would large amounts of sodium make feel better and reduce my BP??? None of my doctors could figure that one out. Regarding the Synthroid: I am now taking Erfa thyroid which is a natural dessicated thyroid medication. It is available in Canada(I am in the US) and I pay out of pocket for it. It contains T1, T2, T3, T4, and calcitonin. The thyroid gland manufactures a small amount of T3, but the bulk of T3 needed by the body is converted in other parts of the body, most notably the liver. My doctors never gave a reason as to why I don't seem to convert, they just said some people don't convert well. As a result of the direct T3 in my thyroid medication TSH will be supressed. I'm glad to hear someone noticed the startle reflex. I know it's from the hyperaldo, since I do not experience it when my aldosterone is in normal range. As far as potassium supplementation causing the hyperaldosteronism, my doctor(and I ) believe it did, as crazy and unusual as it seems. In response to the huge dose of potassium I was on (160meq) which never raised my potassium past 3.9, my doctor thinks my adrenals were pushing out aldosterone to drive down my potassium level and protect from what they perceived as lethal amounts of potassium. I was weaned off the Klor Con potassium supplement over a month's time, and had labs weekly. No matter what my dose of potassium was my serum level held steady at 3.8 and within a month my aldosterone had dropped considerably. Two months later my aldosterone was in the middle of normal range and all my symptoms disappeared. I just talked to my endocrinologist and she wants to make sure that this isn't just a low magesium issue(as we thought it was before), so I am going to raise my magnesium dose and continue a high potassium diet and get aldosterone drawn again in two weeks, along with a 24 hour urine test. Although my potassium has been running low, my endocrinologist does not want to prescribe potassium supplementation after what happened last time. She is baffled by this. Something has screwed up the way I process electrolytes and it is a mystery. It began with my total thyroidectomy in 2008. If the aldosterone doesn't go back to normal with extra magnesium I will have a CT scan to rule out a tumor. > > > I was posting here in late 2010, as I had been diagnosed with > > hyperaldosteronism. It appeared to be secondary aldosteronism caused > > by the prescription potassium supplement that I was taking. I was > > weaned off the potassium medication and with 2 months the > > hyperaldosteronism resolved and labs went back to normal. > > I have been having some weird symptoms again, and sure enough the > > high aldosterone is back. > > > > Here are the labs that were done: > > > > Sodium 139 (136-145) > > Potassium 3.8 (3.5-145) > > Chloride 103 (98-107) > > CO2 26 (21-32) > > Ion Gap 14 (10-18) > > BUN 10 (7-18) > > Creatinine .49 L (.51-.95) > > EST GFR >60 (>60) > > Glucose 92 (70-99) > > Calcium 7.7 L (8.5-10.1) > > Phosphorous 3.8 (2.5-4.9) > > Magnesium 1.9 (1.8-2.4) > > > > TSH <.005 L (.358-3.7) > > Free T3 3.70 (2.18-3.98) > > Free T4 .92 (.76-1.46) > > > > PTH <3 L (14-72) > > Vitamin D 49 (30-100) > > > > ACTH Hormone 19 (10-60) > > Cortisol AM 13.6 (4.3-22.4) > > Cortisol PM 3.4 (3.0-16.7) > > Aldosterone 25 H (<21) > > Renin 1.4 (NA deplete, upright. Mean 5.9, 2.9-10.8) > > (NA replete, upright. Mean 1.0, <.6-3.0) > > > > Has anyone had hyperaldosteronism come and go like this? > > Since it seemed to resolve itself I never had a scan done for a > > tumor; now I'm wondering if it could be a tumor since it is back but > > I am no longer taking the medication that we assumed caused it. The > > last time I had aldosterone tested was January of 2011, so between > > then and now it hasn't been tested. I guess it's possible it could > > have been high in the meantime but I didn't know it and it wasn't > > being tested. I've felt pretty crappy but I have a lot of other > > medical conditions that I blame it on. > > Also---does anyone else here with high aldosterone have heat > > intolerance and red facial flushing(not rosacea)? > > > > Thank you, > > > > > > >

Guest guest

Well we know your calcium isn't right because of the parathyroid issues. Sometimes it just takes one electrolyte to mess up the rest.

From: Dillon <girlcat36@...>Subject: Re: recurrent PA?hyperaldosteronism Date: Thursday, May 3, 2012, 5:25 PM

Hi,I am not on Spiro or Epler.As far as sodium is concerned, that is where it gets REALLY weird. When I had hyperaldosteronism in 2010, I had severe headaches(worse upon awakening) , dizziness, and elevated BP to the point of being non-functioning. Large amounts of sodium would relieve the headache and dizziness and my BP would drop back to its normal 90/60. Why would large amounts of sodium make feel better and reduce my BP???None of my doctors could figure that one out.Regarding the Synthroid: I am now taking Erfa thyroid which is a natural dessicated thyroid medication. It is available in Canada(I am in the US) and I pay out of pocket for it. It contains T1, T2, T3, T4, and calcitonin. The thyroid gland manufactures a small amount of T3, but the bulk of T3 needed by the body is converted in other parts of the body, most notably the liver. My doctors never gave a reason as to why I don't seem to convert, they just said some people

don't convert well. As a result of the direct T3 in my thyroid medication TSH will be supressed.I'm glad to hear someone noticed the startle reflex. I know it's from the hyperaldo, since I do not experience it when my aldosterone is in normal range.As far as potassium supplementation causing the hyperaldosteronism, my doctor(and I ) believe it did, as crazy and unusual as it seems. In response to the huge dose of potassium I was on (160meq) which never raised my potassium past 3.9, my doctor thinks my adrenals were pushing out aldosterone to drive down my potassium level and protect from what they perceived as lethal amounts of potassium. I was weaned off the Klor Con potassium supplement over a month's time, and had labs weekly. No matter what my dose of potassium was my serum level held steady at 3.8 and within a month my aldosterone had dropped considerably. Two months later my aldosterone was in the middle of normal range and all my symptoms

disappeared.I just talked to my endocrinologist and she wants to make sure that this isn't just a low magesium issue(as we thought it was before), so I am going to raise my magnesium dose and continue a high potassium diet and get aldosterone drawn again in two weeks, along with a 24 hour urine test. Although my potassium has been running low, my endocrinologist does not want to prescribe potassium supplementation after what happened last time.She is baffled by this. Something has screwed up the way I process electrolytes and it is a mystery. It began with my total thyroidectomy in 2008.If the aldosterone doesn't go back to normal with extra magnesium I will have a CT scan to rule out a tumor.> > > I was posting here in late 2010, as I had been diagnosed with > > hyperaldosteronism. It appeared to be secondary aldosteronism caused > > by the prescription potassium supplement that I was taking. I was > > weaned off the potassium medication and with 2 months the > > hyperaldosteronism resolved and labs went back to normal.> > I have been having some weird symptoms again, and sure enough the > > high aldosterone is back.> >> > Here are the labs that were done:> >> > Sodium 139 (136-145)> > Potassium 3.8 (3.5-145)> > Chloride 103 (98-107)> > CO2 26 (21-32)> > Ion Gap 14 (10-18)> > BUN 10

(7-18)> > Creatinine .49 L (.51-.95)> > EST GFR >60 (>60)> > Glucose 92 (70-99)> > Calcium 7.7 L (8.5-10.1)> > Phosphorous 3.8 (2.5-4.9)> > Magnesium 1.9 (1.8-2.4)> >> > TSH <.005 L (.358-3.7)> > Free T3 3.70 (2.18-3.98)> > Free T4 .92 (.76-1.46)> >> > PTH <3 L (14-72)> > Vitamin D 49 (30-100)> >> > ACTH Hormone 19 (10-60)> > Cortisol AM 13.6 (4.3-22.4)> > Cortisol PM 3.4 (3.0-16.7)> > Aldosterone 25 H (<21)> > Renin 1.4 (NA deplete, upright. Mean 5.9, 2.9-10.8)> > (NA replete, upright. Mean 1.0, <.6-3.0)> >> > Has anyone had hyperaldosteronism come and go like this?> > Since it seemed to resolve itself I never had a scan done for a > > tumor; now I'm wondering if it could be a tumor since it is back

but > > I am no longer taking the medication that we assumed caused it. The > > last time I had aldosterone tested was January of 2011, so between > > then and now it hasn't been tested. I guess it's possible it could > > have been high in the meantime but I didn't know it and it wasn't > > being tested. I've felt pretty crappy but I have a lot of other > > medical conditions that I blame it on.> > Also---does anyone else here with high aldosterone have heat > > intolerance and red facial flushing(not rosacea)?> >> > Thank you,> > > >> >>

Guest guest

Hi Dr Grim,

I was on a high potassium, but regular sodium diet.

These are the medications and supplements I was on at the time of testing:

Erfa thyroid. 180 mug

Calcitriol .25 once a week 

Claritin 

Multivitamin

Evening primrose oil

Vitamin D3 1000 mg

Magnesium 800 mg

Calcium citrate 1000 mg

Glucosamine/ chondroiton/ msm

Iron glycinate 50 mg

My symptoms:

nighttime urination

Thirst

Hair loss

Cramps in hands/feet ( from low K I presume)

excessive startle reflex

Sporadic elevation of BP

Dizziness

Headaches

Also--my labs were drawn with a tourniquet after much poking around. I usually

have them drawn without a tourniquet, but this time it wasn't going to happen.

so I'm not sure labs are entirely accurate. I have labs drawn quite frequently

and sometimes will have a tourniquet used every other time. I have noticed that

when a tourniquet is used my sodium, calcium, potassium and magnesium levels are

usually bumped up about 3-4 points.

> > >

> > > > I was posting here in late 2010, as I had been diagnosed with

> > > > hyperaldosteronism. It appeared to be secondary aldosteronism

> > caused

> > > > by the prescription potassium supplement that I was taking. I was

> > > > weaned off the potassium medication and with 2 months the

> > > > hyperaldosteronism resolved and labs went back to normal.

> > > > I have been having some weird symptoms again, and sure enough the

> > > > high aldosterone is back.

> > > >

> > > > Here are the labs that were done:

> > > >

> > > > Sodium 139 (136-145)

> > > > Potassium 3.8 (3.5-145)

> > > > Chloride 103 (98-107)

> > > > CO2 26 (21-32)

> > > > Ion Gap 14 (10-18)

> > > > BUN 10 (7-18)

> > > > Creatinine .49 L (.51-.95)

> > > > EST GFR >60 (>60)

> > > > Glucose 92 (70-99)

> > > > Calcium 7.7 L (8.5-10.1)

> > > > Phosphorous 3.8 (2.5-4.9)

> > > > Magnesium 1.9 (1.8-2.4)

> > > >

> > > > TSH <.005 L (.358-3.7)

> > > > Free T3 3.70 (2.18-3.98)

> > > > Free T4 .92 (.76-1.46)

> > > >

> > > > PTH <3 L (14-72)

> > > > Vitamin D 49 (30-100)

> > > >

> > > > ACTH Hormone 19 (10-60)

> > > > Cortisol AM 13.6 (4.3-22.4)

> > > > Cortisol PM 3.4 (3.0-16.7)

> > > > Aldosterone 25 H (<21)

> > > > Renin 1.4 (NA deplete, upright. Mean 5.9, 2.9-10.8)

> > > > (NA replete, upright. Mean 1.0, <.6-3.0)

> > > >

> > > > Has anyone had hyperaldosteronism come and go like this?

> > > > Since it seemed to resolve itself I never had a scan done for a

> > > > tumor; now I'm wondering if it could be a tumor since it is back

> > but

> > > > I am no longer taking the medication that we assumed caused it.

> > The

> > > > last time I had aldosterone tested was January of 2011, so between

> > > > then and now it hasn't been tested. I guess it's possible it could

> > > > have been high in the meantime but I didn't know it and it wasn't

> > > > being tested. I've felt pretty crappy but I have a lot of other

> > > > medical conditions that I blame it on.

> > > > Also---does anyone else here with high aldosterone have heat

> > > > intolerance and red facial flushing(not rosacea)?

> > > >

> > > > Thank you,

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

PA also messes with CA and PTH as noted in our files. A number here with PA have had problems with CA etc that was likely due to PA but para issues were focused on first unfortunately.CE Grim MDOn May 4, 2012, at 4:24 AM, Bingham wrote: Well we know your calcium isn't right because of the parathyroid issues. Sometimes it just takes one electrolyte to mess up the rest. From: Dillon <girlcat36@...>Subject: Re: recurrent PA?hyperaldosteronism Date: Thursday, May 3, 2012, 5:25 PM Hi,I am not on Spiro or Epler.As far as sodium is concerned, that is where it gets REALLY weird. When I had hyperaldosteronism in 2010, I had severe headaches(worse upon awakening) , dizziness, and elevated BP to the point of being non-functioning. Large amounts of sodium would relieve the headache and dizziness and my BP would drop back to its normal 90/60. Why would large amounts of sodium make feel better and reduce my BP???None of my doctors could figure that one out.Regarding the Synthroid: I am now taking Erfa thyroid which is a natural dessicated thyroid medication. It is available in Canada(I am in the US) and I pay out of pocket for it. It contains T1, T2, T3, T4, and calcitonin. The thyroid gland manufactures a small amount of T3, but the bulk of T3 needed by the body is converted in other parts of the body, most notably the liver. My doctors never gave a reason as to why I don't seem to convert, they just said some people don't convert well. As a result of the direct T3 in my thyroid medication TSH will be supressed.I'm glad to hear someone noticed the startle reflex. I know it's from the hyperaldo, since I do not experience it when my aldosterone is in normal range.As far as potassium supplementation causing the hyperaldosteronism, my doctor(and I ) believe it did, as crazy and unusual as it seems. In response to the huge dose of potassium I was on (160meq) which never raised my potassium past 3.9, my doctor thinks my adrenals were pushing out aldosterone to drive down my potassium level and protect from what they perceived as lethal amounts of potassium. I was weaned off the Klor Con potassium supplement over a month's time, and had labs weekly. No matter what my dose of potassium was my serum level held steady at 3.8 and within a month my aldosterone had dropped considerably. Two months later my aldosterone was in the middle of normal range and all my symptoms disappeared.I just talked to my endocrinologist and she wants to make sure that this isn't just a low magesium issue(as we thought it was before), so I am going to raise my magnesium dose and continue a high potassium diet and get aldosterone drawn again in two weeks, along with a 24 hour urine test. Although my potassium has been running low, my endocrinologist does not want to prescribe potassium supplementation after what happened last time.She is baffled by this. Something has screwed up the way I process electrolytes and it is a mystery. It began with my total thyroidectomy in 2008.If the aldosterone doesn't go back to normal with extra magnesium I will have a CT scan to rule out a tumor.> > > I was posting here in late 2010, as I had been diagnosed with > > hyperaldosteronism. It appeared to be secondary aldosteronism caused > > by the prescription potassium supplement that I was taking. I was > > weaned off the potassium medication and with 2 months the > > hyperaldosteronism resolved and labs went back to normal.> > I have been having some weird symptoms again, and sure enough the > > high aldosterone is back.> >> > Here are the labs that were done:> >> > Sodium 139 (136-145)> > Potassium 3.8 (3.5-145)> > Chloride 103 (98-107)> > CO2 26 (21-32)> > Ion Gap 14 (10-18)> > BUN 10 (7-18)> > Creatinine .49 L (.51-.95)> > EST GFR >60 (>60)> > Glucose 92 (70-99)> > Calcium 7.7 L (8.5-10.1)> > Phosphorous 3.8 (2.5-4.9)> > Magnesium 1.9 (1.8-2.4)> >> > TSH <.005 L (.358-3.7)> > Free T3 3.70 (2.18-3.98)> > Free T4 .92 (.76-1.46)> >> > PTH <3 L (14-72)> > Vitamin D 49 (30-100)> >> > ACTH Hormone 19 (10-60)> > Cortisol AM 13.6 (4.3-22.4)> > Cortisol PM 3.4 (3.0-16.7)> > Aldosterone 25 H (<21)> > Renin 1.4 (NA deplete, upright. Mean 5.9, 2.9-10.8)> > (NA replete, upright. Mean 1.0, <.6-3.0)> >> > Has anyone had hyperaldosteronism come and go like this?> > Since it seemed to resolve itself I never had a scan done for a > > tumor; now I'm wondering if it could be a tumor since it is back but > > I am no longer taking the medication that we assumed caused it. The > > last time I had aldosterone tested was January of 2011, so between > > then and now it hasn't been tested. I guess it's possible it could > > have been high in the meantime but I didn't know it and it wasn't > > being tested. I've felt pretty crappy but I have a lot of other > > medical conditions that I blame it on.> > Also---does anyone else here with high aldosterone have heat > > intolerance and red facial flushing(not rosacea)?> >> > Thank you,> > > >> >>

Guest guest

On May 4, 2012, at 6:39 AM, Dillon wrote: Hi Dr Grim, I was on a high potassium, but regular sodium diet.Salt pees out K so without resricting Na you may not make much progress on K.Any renin aldo measurements? These are the medications and supplements I was on at the time of testing: Erfa thyroid. 180 mug Calcitriol .25 once a week Claritin Multivitamin Evening primrose oil Vitamin D3 1000 mg Magnesium 800 mg Calcium citrate 1000 mg Glucosamine/ chondroiton/ msm Iron glycinate 50 mg My symptoms: nighttime urination Thirst Hair loss Cramps in hands/feet ( from low K I presume) excessive startle reflex Sporadic elevation of BP Dizziness Headaches Also--my labs were drawn with a tourniquet after much poking around. I usually have them drawn without a tourniquet, but this time it wasn't going to happen. so I'm not sure labs are entirely accurate. I have labs drawn quite frequently and sometimes will have a tourniquet used every other time. I have noticed that when a tourniquet is used my sodium, calcium, potassium and magnesium levels are usually bumped up about 3-4 points.Right. > > > > > > > I was posting here in late 2010, as I had been diagnosed with > > > > hyperaldosteronism. It appeared to be secondary aldosteronism > > caused > > > > by the prescription potassium supplement that I was taking. I was > > > > weaned off the potassium medication and with 2 months the > > > > hyperaldosteronism resolved and labs went back to normal. > > > > I have been having some weird symptoms again, and sure enough the > > > > high aldosterone is back. > > > > > > > > Here are the labs that were done: > > > > > > > > Sodium 139 (136-145) > > > > Potassium 3.8 (3.5-145) > > > > Chloride 103 (98-107) > > > > CO2 26 (21-32) > > > > Ion Gap 14 (10-18) > > > > BUN 10 (7-18) > > > > Creatinine .49 L (.51-.95) > > > > EST GFR >60 (>60) > > > > Glucose 92 (70-99) > > > > Calcium 7.7 L (8.5-10.1) > > > > Phosphorous 3.8 (2.5-4.9) > > > > Magnesium 1.9 (1.8-2.4) > > > > > > > > TSH <.005 L (.358-3.7) > > > > Free T3 3.70 (2.18-3.98) > > > > Free T4 .92 (.76-1.46) > > > > > > > > PTH <3 L (14-72) > > > > Vitamin D 49 (30-100) > > > > > > > > ACTH Hormone 19 (10-60) > > > > Cortisol AM 13.6 (4.3-22.4) > > > > Cortisol PM 3.4 (3.0-16.7) > > > > Aldosterone 25 H (<21) > > > > Renin 1.4 (NA deplete, upright. Mean 5.9, 2.9-10.8) > > > > (NA replete, upright. Mean 1.0, <.6-3.0) > > > > > > > > Has anyone had hyperaldosteronism come and go like this? > > > > Since it seemed to resolve itself I never had a scan done for a > > > > tumor; now I'm wondering if it could be a tumor since it is back > > but > > > > I am no longer taking the medication that we assumed caused it. > > The > > > > last time I had aldosterone tested was January of 2011, so between > > > > then and now it hasn't been tested. I guess it's possible it could > > > > have been high in the meantime but I didn't know it and it wasn't > > > > being tested. I've felt pretty crappy but I have a lot of other > > > > medical conditions that I blame it on. > > > > Also---does anyone else here with high aldosterone have heat > > > > intolerance and red facial flushing(not rosacea)? > > > > > > > > Thank you, > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

My calciums were always low on the labs before we treated my PA. I, or the doc, never addressed it but it was low. I do take OTC mag and it sure kind of made that little extra difference along with the K, so I suspect it was low too back then.

She below had her thyroid and parathyroids removed I believe and said shes had some issues with all that along with the hyperaldosterone

From: Dillon <girlcat36@...>Subject: Re: recurrent PA?hyperaldosteronism Date: Thursday, May 3, 2012, 5:25 PM

Hi,I am not on Spiro or Epler.As far as sodium is concerned, that is where it gets REALLY weird. When I had hyperaldosteronism in 2010, I had severe headaches(worse upon awakening) , dizziness, and elevated BP to the point of being non-functioning. Large amounts of sodium would relieve the headache and dizziness and my BP would drop back to its normal 90/60. Why would large amounts of sodium make feel better and reduce my BP???None of my doctors could figure that one out.Regarding the Synthroid: I am now taking Erfa thyroid which is a natural dessicated thyroid medication. It is available in Canada(I am in the US) and I pay out of pocket for it. It contains T1, T2, T3, T4, and calcitonin. The thyroid gland manufactures a small amount of T3, but the bulk of T3 needed by the body is converted in other parts of the body, most notably the liver. My doctors never gave a reason as to why I don't seem to convert, they just said some people

don't convert well. As a result of the direct T3 in my thyroid medication TSH will be supressed.I'm glad to hear someone noticed the startle reflex. I know it's from the hyperaldo, since I do not experience it when my aldosterone is in normal range.As far as potassium supplementation causing the hyperaldosteronism, my doctor(and I ) believe it did, as crazy and unusual as it seems. In response to the huge dose of potassium I was on (160meq) which never raised my potassium past 3.9, my doctor thinks my adrenals were pushing out aldosterone to drive down my potassium level and protect from what they perceived as lethal amounts of potassium. I was weaned off the Klor Con potassium supplement over a month's time, and had labs weekly. No matter what my dose of potassium was my serum level held steady at 3.8 and within a month my aldosterone had dropped considerably. Two months later my aldosterone was in the middle of normal range and all my symptoms

disappeared.I just talked to my endocrinologist and she wants to make sure that this isn't just a low magesium issue(as we thought it was before), so I am going to raise my magnesium dose and continue a high potassium diet and get aldosterone drawn again in two weeks, along with a 24 hour urine test. Although my potassium has been running low, my endocrinologist does not want to prescribe potassium supplementation after what happened last time.She is baffled by this. Something has screwed up the way I process electrolytes and it is a mystery. It began with my total thyroidectomy in 2008.If the aldosterone doesn't go back to normal with extra magnesium I will have a CT scan to rule out a tumor.> > > I was posting here in late 2010, as I had been diagnosed with > > hyperaldosteronism. It appeared to be secondary aldosteronism caused > > by the prescription potassium supplement that I was taking. I was > > weaned off the potassium medication and with 2 months the > > hyperaldosteronism resolved and labs went back to normal.> > I have been having some weird symptoms again, and sure enough the > > high aldosterone is back.> >> > Here are the labs that were done:> >> > Sodium 139 (136-145)> > Potassium 3.8 (3.5-145)> > Chloride 103 (98-107)> > CO2 26 (21-32)> > Ion Gap 14 (10-18)> > BUN 10 (7-18)> > Creatinine .49 L (.51-.95)> > EST GFR

>60 (>60)> > Glucose 92 (70-99)> > Calcium 7.7 L (8.5-10.1)> > Phosphorous 3.8 (2.5-4.9)> > Magnesium 1.9 (1.8-2.4)> >> > TSH <.005 L (.358-3.7)> > Free T3 3.70 (2.18-3.98)> > Free T4 .92 (.76-1.46)> >> > PTH <3 L (14-72)> > Vitamin D 49 (30-100)> >> > ACTH Hormone 19 (10-60)> > Cortisol AM 13.6 (4.3-22.4)> > Cortisol PM 3.4 (3.0-16.7)> > Aldosterone 25 H (<21)> > Renin 1.4 (NA deplete, upright. Mean 5.9, 2.9-10.8)> > (NA replete, upright. Mean 1.0, <.6-3.0)> >> > Has anyone had hyperaldosteronism come and go like this?> > Since it seemed to resolve itself I never had a scan done for a > > tumor; now I'm wondering if it could be a tumor since it is back but > > I am no longer taking the medication that we

assumed caused it. The > > last time I had aldosterone tested was January of 2011, so between > > then and now it hasn't been tested. I guess it's possible it could > > have been high in the meantime but I didn't know it and it wasn't > > being tested. I've felt pretty crappy but I have a lot of other > > medical conditions that I blame it on.> > Also---does anyone else here with high aldosterone have heat > > intolerance and red facial flushing(not rosacea)?> >> > Thank you,> > > >> >>

Guest guest

WE have some files on calcium effects of PA. Mostly high CA as I recall. Can look like hyperpara.CE Grim MDOn May 4, 2012, at 11:33 AM, Bingham wrote: My calciums were always low on the labs before we treated my PA. I, or the doc, never addressed it but it was low. I do take OTC mag and it sure kind of made that little extra difference along with the K, so I suspect it was low too back then. She below had her thyroid and parathyroids removed I believe and said shes had some issues with all that along with the hyperaldosterone From: Dillon <girlcat36@...>Subject: Re: recurrent PA?hyperaldosteronism Date: Thursday, May 3, 2012, 5:25 PM Hi,I am not on Spiro or Epler.As far as sodium is concerned, that is where it gets REALLY weird. When I had hyperaldosteronism in 2010, I had severe headaches(worse upon awakening) , dizziness, and elevated BP to the point of being non-functioning. Large amounts of sodium would relieve the headache and dizziness and my BP would drop back to its normal 90/60. Why would large amounts of sodium make feel better and reduce my BP???None of my doctors could figure that one out.Regarding the Synthroid: I am now taking Erfa thyroid which is a natural dessicated thyroid medication. It is available in Canada(I am in the US) and I pay out of pocket for it. It contains T1, T2, T3, T4, and calcitonin. The thyroid gland manufactures a small amount of T3, but the bulk of T3 needed by the body is converted in other parts of the body, most notably the liver. My doctors never gave a reason as to why I don't seem to convert, they just said some people don't convert well. As a result of the direct T3 in my thyroid medication TSH will be supressed.I'm glad to hear someone noticed the startle reflex. I know it's from the hyperaldo, since I do not experience it when my aldosterone is in normal range.As far as potassium supplementation causing the hyperaldosteronism, my doctor(and I ) believe it did, as crazy and unusual as it seems. In response to the huge dose of potassium I was on (160meq) which never raised my potassium past 3.9, my doctor thinks my adrenals were pushing out aldosterone to drive down my potassium level and protect from what they perceived as lethal amounts of potassium. I was weaned off the Klor Con potassium supplement over a month's time, and had labs weekly. No matter what my dose of potassium was my serum level held steady at 3.8 and within a month my aldosterone had dropped considerably. Two months later my aldosterone was in the middle of normal range and all my symptoms disappeared.I just talked to my endocrinologist and she wants to make sure that this isn't just a low magesium issue(as we thought it was before), so I am going to raise my magnesium dose and continue a high potassium diet and get aldosterone drawn again in two weeks, along with a 24 hour urine test. Although my potassium has been running low, my endocrinologist does not want to prescribe potassium supplementation after what happened last time.She is baffled by this. Something has screwed up the way I process electrolytes and it is a mystery. It began with my total thyroidectomy in 2008.If the aldosterone doesn't go back to normal with extra magnesium I will have a CT scan to rule out a tumor.> > > I was posting here in late 2010, as I had been diagnosed with > > hyperaldosteronism. It appeared to be secondary aldosteronism caused > > by the prescription potassium supplement that I was taking. I was > > weaned off the potassium medication and with 2 months the > > hyperaldosteronism resolved and labs went back to normal.> > I have been having some weird symptoms again, and sure enough the > > high aldosterone is back.> >> > Here are the labs that were done:> >> > Sodium 139 (136-145)> > Potassium 3.8 (3.5-145)> > Chloride 103 (98-107)> > CO2 26 (21-32)> > Ion Gap 14 (10-18)> > BUN 10 (7-18)> > Creatinine .49 L (.51-.95)> > EST GFR >60 (>60)> > Glucose 92 (70-99)> > Calcium 7.7 L (8.5-10.1)> > Phosphorous 3.8 (2.5-4.9)> > Magnesium 1.9 (1.8-2.4)> >> > TSH <.005 L (.358-3.7)> > Free T3 3.70 (2.18-3.98)> > Free T4 .92 (.76-1.46)> >> > PTH <3 L (14-72)> > Vitamin D 49 (30-100)> >> > ACTH Hormone 19 (10-60)> > Cortisol AM 13.6 (4.3-22.4)> > Cortisol PM 3.4 (3.0-16.7)> > Aldosterone 25 H (<21)> > Renin 1.4 (NA deplete, upright. Mean 5.9, 2.9-10.8)> > (NA replete, upright. Mean 1.0, <.6-3.0)> >> > Has anyone had hyperaldosteronism come and go like this?> > Since it seemed to resolve itself I never had a scan done for a > > tumor; now I'm wondering if it could be a tumor since it is back but > > I am no longer taking the medication that we assumed caused it. The > > last time I had aldosterone tested was January of 2011, so between > > then and now it hasn't been tested. I guess it's possible it could > > have been high in the meantime but I didn't know it and it wasn't > > being tested. I've felt pretty crappy but I have a lot of other > > medical conditions that I blame it on.> > Also---does anyone else here with high aldosterone have heat > > intolerance and red facial flushing(not rosacea)?> >> > Thank you,> > > >> >>

Guest guest

I had high calcium + high PTH. Calcium was at the top or slightly over range for at least 14 years. Parathyroid surgery removed a very definite adenoma. By the time of surgery, my DEXA was -3.51. I was on three HTN meds before surgery and off all within six months after. The HTN returned about 4 - 5 years later. Val From: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of Clarence Grim WE have some files on calcium effects of PA. Mostly high CA as I recall. Can look like hyperpara.

Guest guest

Both problems are fairly common of course so having both might not be rare. Also some syndromes in which both occur.We looked at BP and BP control systems and responses before and after hyperpara surgery when at Indiana and found no changes in BP or renin or aldo but not a very big sample. On May 4, 2012, at 3:22 PM, Valarie wrote: I had high calcium + high PTH. Calcium was at the top or slightly over range for at least 14 years. Parathyroid surgery removed a very definite adenoma. By the time of surgery, my DEXA was -3.51. I was on three HTN meds before surgery and off all within six months after. The HTN returned about 4 - 5 years later. Val From: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of Clarence Grim WE have some files on calcium effects of PA. Mostly high CA as I recall. Can look like hyperpara.