RemedySpot.com

Re: What specific besides age causes salt sensitivity and food allergies

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Those who survived hard salt times carried their Salt conserving genes to their descendents. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn May 18, 2012, at 17:17, kip_walls <okiedokietoday@...> wrote:

What organ or organs change and why ?

Guest guest

Those who survived hard salt times carried their Salt conserving genes to their descendents. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn May 18, 2012, at 17:17, kip_walls <okiedokietoday@...> wrote:

Guest guest

Have you ever noted a genetic pattern to it? Race, nationality, skin type, anything have a salt sensitivity as a common thread?

Guest guest

My Dad had an aneurysm, His Dad had an aneurysm, His sister had an aneurysm,

Only Dad survived his . His was lower left T. Both sides of the family ate

salt cured meats . My mothers side cured their own smoking and salting but they

didn't have a problem with salt apparently. As a teenager I played tournament

tennis and ate everything including salt tabs etc ! Played up to 49 when I

bulged a disc.

A few years ago I was tested for basic allergies and they found I had some to

milk, wheat, shell fish, eggs and wheat ! Last night I ate strawberries and

some nuts ! Woke up in the early morning and felt like I might be having a heart

attack or ?? I have ordered the Dash diet book and waiting for it to arrive !

Licorice spiked it a couple of years go I think so I quit that. Cardio took me

off a bp med that worked well!

Seems my food problems are cumulative and compound but just a hunch !

The BP spikes started about 6 weeks ago ! My cardio thinks it salt so been

backing off ! My endo is adding thyroid med when I start taking it but waiting

until I get this BP under control !

I was going to national forest for summer but afraid to go now because closest

hospital is a helicopetr away ! I'd been working out riding exercise bike 20m

and treadmill 10+ and some machines. I had pain in lower back, buttocks, L

testicle down to knee about the time the spikes started ! I started out light

yesterday as pain had subsided . Urologist thinks pain is a pinched nerve !

I was taking 100mg theanine and quit for SAMe. Seemed ok but think I take some

again ! I don't know if it has withdrawal ?

I'm 68 white male living alone in the country which scares me !

I plan on having my PP test me for food allergies but not sure which is best,

Want to tested for formaldehyde poisoning ie trailer , and water is high in

uranium ie rural water ! Plan to have them test me for the sodium too ! I was

below normal in potassium magnesium in December and she put me on supplements

and pull me off one diuretic and an injectible diabetic med. The first

injectible I was on a year was pulled off the market because of bad stuff so was

put on another ! The new oral MED is 1 of three when I start it but has only

been on the market about a year ! Feel like guinea pig !

All help and ideas are appreciated !

>

> > What organ or organs change and why ?

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Still curious what organs cause these failures causing the sensitivities to

salts and foods !

I had an allergic reaction to boiled shrimp when I was about 25 ! Everything

seemed I could eat !

Guest guest

What kind of aneurysms? Were they cerebral or aortic?

That's interesting. Are you developing those allergies in your young age or were they around when you were younger? Or do you look back and now see something was amiss. I've heard of alot of people developing allergies as they get older. We drank milk with everything growing up, but now that I am older (45 today!) I luckily have lost my taste for it for some reason, but I also notice when I do drink it I get alot of phlegm , a cough, and itchiness a little in my chest - real allergy like. Not a big deal because I don't miss it much, but I wonder why we develop intolerance to something as we age and are fine on it s kids.

What's the thyroid issue, high or low?.

BTW too bad your not close to Prescott AZ, I was # 1 singles for my team in California when I played in HS (I HATED doubles and never played a single doubles match in my life - excuse that pun) and now that I actually feel a bit better and am getting well - the Conn's anyway - I'd love to find someone to play with. It's too doggone expensive to join any clubs.

From: kip_walls <okiedokietoday@...>Subject: Re: What specific besides age causes salt sensitivity and food allergieshyperaldosteronism Date: Friday, May 18, 2012, 10:04 PM

My Dad had an aneurysm, His Dad had an aneurysm, His sister had an aneurysm, Only Dad survived his . His was lower left T. Both sides of the family ate salt cured meats . My mothers side cured their own smoking and salting but they didn't have a problem with salt apparently. As a teenager I played tournament tennis and ate everything including salt tabs etc ! Played up to 49 when I bulged a disc.A few years ago I was tested for basic allergies and they found I had some to milk, wheat, shell fish, eggs and wheat ! Last night I ate strawberries and some nuts ! Woke up in the early morning and felt like I might be having a heart attack or ?? I have ordered the Dash diet book and waiting for it to arrive ! Licorice spiked it a couple of years go I think so I quit that. Cardio took me off a bp med that worked well!Seems my food problems are cumulative and compound but just a hunch !The BP spikes started about 6 weeks ago ! My

cardio thinks it salt so been backing off ! My endo is adding thyroid med when I start taking it but waiting until I get this BP under control !I was going to national forest for summer but afraid to go now because closest hospital is a helicopetr away ! I'd been working out riding exercise bike 20m and treadmill 10+ and some machines. I had pain in lower back, buttocks, L testicle down to knee about the time the spikes started ! I started out light yesterday as pain had subsided . Urologist thinks pain is a pinched nerve !I was taking 100mg theanine and quit for SAMe. Seemed ok but think I take some again ! I don't know if it has withdrawal ?I'm 68 white male living alone in the country which scares me !I plan on having my PP test me for food allergies but not sure which is best, Want to tested for formaldehyde poisoning ie trailer , and water is high in uranium ie rural water ! Plan to have them test me for the sodium

too ! I was below normal in potassium magnesium in December and she put me on supplements and pull me off one diuretic and an injectible diabetic med. The first injectible I was on a year was pulled off the market because of bad stuff so was put on another ! The new oral MED is 1 of three when I start it but has only been on the market about a year ! Feel like guinea pig !All help and ideas are appreciated !> > > What organ or organs change and why ?> > > >>

Guest guest

Blacks more SS THAN whites older more than younger. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn May 18, 2012, at 18:09, Bingham <jlkbbk2003@...> wrote:

Have you ever noted a genetic pattern to it? Race, nationality, skin type, anything have a salt sensitivity as a common thread?

Guest guest

Most adult DM will go away if u can get BMI DOWN. 25 is best goal but may go away before that. Set DASH at below calorie need and the fat will melt away. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn May 18, 2012, at 20:04, kip_walls <okiedokietoday@...> wrote:

My Dad had an aneurysm, His Dad had an aneurysm, His sister had an aneurysm, Only Dad survived his . His was lower left T. Both sides of the family ate salt cured meats . My mothers side cured their own smoking and salting but they didn't have a problem with salt apparently. As a teenager I played tournament tennis and ate everything including salt tabs etc ! Played up to 49 when I bulged a disc.

A few years ago I was tested for basic allergies and they found I had some to milk, wheat, shell fish, eggs and wheat ! Last night I ate strawberries and some nuts ! Woke up in the early morning and felt like I might be having a heart attack or ?? I have ordered the Dash diet book and waiting for it to arrive ! Licorice spiked it a couple of years go I think so I quit that. Cardio took me off a bp med that worked well!

Seems my food problems are cumulative and compound but just a hunch !

The BP spikes started about 6 weeks ago ! My cardio thinks it salt so been backing off ! My endo is adding thyroid med when I start taking it but waiting until I get this BP under control !

I was going to national forest for summer but afraid to go now because closest hospital is a helicopetr away ! I'd been working out riding exercise bike 20m and treadmill 10+ and some machines. I had pain in lower back, buttocks, L testicle down to knee about the time the spikes started ! I started out light yesterday as pain had subsided . Urologist thinks pain is a pinched nerve !

I was taking 100mg theanine and quit for SAMe. Seemed ok but think I take some again ! I don't know if it has withdrawal ?

I'm 68 white male living alone in the country which scares me !

I plan on having my PP test me for food allergies but not sure which is best, Want to tested for formaldehyde poisoning ie trailer , and water is high in uranium ie rural water ! Plan to have them test me for the sodium too ! I was below normal in potassium magnesium in December and she put me on supplements and pull me off one diuretic and an injectible diabetic med. The first injectible I was on a year was pulled off the market because of bad stuff so was put on another ! The new oral MED is 1 of three when I start it but has only been on the market about a year ! Feel like guinea pig !

All help and ideas are appreciated !

>

> > What organ or organs change and why ?

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Thought not to be failures but protective unless you eat more salt that your genes were programmed for. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn May 18, 2012, at 20:09, kip_walls <okiedokietoday@...> wrote:

Still curious what organs cause these failures causing the sensitivities to salts and foods !

I had an allergic reaction to boiled shrimp when I was about 25 ! Everything seemed I could eat !

Guest guest

Berry As run in families with inherited PA May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn May 18, 2012, at 22:42, Bingham <jlkbbk2003@...> wrote:

What kind of aneurysms? Were they cerebral or aortic?

That's interesting. Are you developing those allergies in your young age or were they around when you were younger? Or do you look back and now see something was amiss. I've heard of alot of people developing allergies as they get older. We drank milk with everything growing up, but now that I am older (45 today!) I luckily have lost my taste for it for some reason, but I also notice when I do drink it I get alot of phlegm , a cough, and itchiness a little in my chest - real allergy like. Not a big deal because I don't miss it much, but I wonder why we develop intolerance to something as we age and are fine on it s kids.

What's the thyroid issue, high or low?.

BTW too bad your not close to Prescott AZ, I was # 1 singles for my team in California when I played in HS (I HATED doubles and never played a single doubles match in my life - excuse that pun) and now that I actually feel a bit better and am getting well - the Conn's anyway - I'd love to find someone to play with. It's too doggone expensive to join any clubs.

From: kip_walls <okiedokietoday@...>Subject: Re: What specific besides age causes salt sensitivity and food allergieshyperaldosteronism Date: Friday, May 18, 2012, 10:04 PM

My Dad had an aneurysm, His Dad had an aneurysm, His sister had an aneurysm, Only Dad survived his . His was lower left T. Both sides of the family ate salt cured meats . My mothers side cured their own smoking and salting but they didn't have a problem with salt apparently. As a teenager I played tournament tennis and ate everything including salt tabs etc ! Played up to 49 when I bulged a disc.A few years ago I was tested for basic allergies and they found I had some to milk, wheat, shell fish, eggs and wheat ! Last night I ate strawberries and some nuts ! Woke up in the early morning and felt like I might be having a heart attack or ?? I have ordered the Dash diet book and waiting for it to arrive ! Licorice spiked it a couple of years go I think so I quit that. Cardio took me off a bp med that worked well!Seems my food problems are cumulative and compound but just a hunch !The BP spikes started about 6 weeks ago ! My

cardio thinks it salt so been backing off ! My endo is adding thyroid med when I start taking it but waiting until I get this BP under control !I was going to national forest for summer but afraid to go now because closest hospital is a helicopetr away ! I'd been working out riding exercise bike 20m and treadmill 10+ and some machines. I had pain in lower back, buttocks, L testicle down to knee about the time the spikes started ! I started out light yesterday as pain had subsided . Urologist thinks pain is a pinched nerve !I was taking 100mg theanine and quit for SAMe. Seemed ok but think I take some again ! I don't know if it has withdrawal ?I'm 68 white male living alone in the country which scares me !I plan on having my PP test me for food allergies but not sure which is best, Want to tested for formaldehyde poisoning ie trailer , and water is high in uranium ie rural water ! Plan to have them test me for the sodium

too ! I was below normal in potassium magnesium in December and she put me on supplements and pull me off one diuretic and an injectible diabetic med. The first injectible I was on a year was pulled off the market because of bad stuff so was put on another ! The new oral MED is 1 of three when I start it but has only been on the market about a year ! Feel like guinea pig !All help and ideas are appreciated !> > > What organ or organs change and why ?> > > >>

Guest guest

For most of my life I could eat about anything and everything and I did !

I have heard some organs or metabolic syndrome can change for a number of

reasons ! I have likewise heard some can be stimulated to function properly and

I would like to try that on my own .

I concur that apparently I am genetically sensitive to salt and hypertension,

and carbs and diabetes and food allergies ! All this is H and limits extremely

what I can now eat and how I feel and what commitments I can be dependable in

carrying out ! It affects my quality of life ! I can cut back on salt and carbs

but I don't like cooking at home or cleaning up but I may have to once I get the

Dash book I bought!

I have been going to hospitals to eat but they don't serve the same food there

as to patients which undermines my effort ! I ate baked battered chicken the

other day with steamed brockely and green beans ! It cost under $4.00. The

Chicken showed 100mg but on closer inspection that was 100 per one ounce and

they served me 3 which I bet was more than 1 OZ.

I talked to a new hospital about making the food available they serve their

cardiac and diabetic patients ! They have dieticians and prepare the food but

don't serve it to non patients customers or staff ! They took note as it would

be a niche market ! One sandwich they offered was great looking but just under

2000 mg of sodium! They couldn't tell me what the baked pork chop had which I

ate with steamed veggies .

I didn't eat nuts and strawberries and didn't have the cardiac issues I had

yesterdy morning or night ! I thought I was about to have the big one ! My BP

now is 146/89/74. All I ate yesterday was one boiled egg , Dash flavoring, and

some shredded cheese twice ! I am going to eat one now for breakfast !

Preservatives like msg and salad non browning stuff, and wilted lettuce , aged

cheeses and meats also cause problems !

Thanks for your insights !

>

> > Still curious what organs cause these failures causing the sensitivities to

salts and foods !

> >

> > I had an allergic reaction to boiled shrimp when I was about 25 ! Everything

seemed I could eat !

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Need to understand if you have PA the more sodium you eat the lower your

potassum is likey to be. If potassum is low this can cause many problems. Very

common for low potassum to affect heart.

> >

> > > Still curious what organs cause these failures causing the sensitivities

to salts and foods !

> > >

> > > I had an allergic reaction to boiled shrimp when I was about 25 !

Everything seemed I could eat !

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Keep at it.Most cheese is loaded. CE Grim MDOn May 19, 2012, at 6:38 AM, kip_walls wrote: For most of my life I could eat about anything and everything and I did ! I have heard some organs or metabolic syndrome can change for a number of reasons ! I have likewise heard some can be stimulated to function properly and I would like to try that on my own . I concur that apparently I am genetically sensitive to salt and hypertension, and carbs and diabetes and food allergies ! All this is H and limits extremely what I can now eat and how I feel and what commitments I can be dependable in carrying out ! It affects my quality of life ! I can cut back on salt and carbs but I don't like cooking at home or cleaning up but I may have to once I get the Dash book I bought! I have been going to hospitals to eat but they don't serve the same food there as to patients which undermines my effort ! I ate baked battered chicken the other day with steamed brockely and green beans ! It cost under $4.00. The Chicken showed 100mg but on closer inspection that was 100 per one ounce and they served me 3 which I bet was more than 1 OZ. I talked to a new hospital about making the food available they serve their cardiac and diabetic patients ! They have dieticians and prepare the food but don't serve it to non patients customers or staff ! They took note as it would be a niche market ! One sandwich they offered was great looking but just under 2000 mg of sodium! They couldn't tell me what the baked pork chop had which I ate with steamed veggies . I didn't eat nuts and strawberries and didn't have the cardiac issues I had yesterdy morning or night ! I thought I was about to have the big one ! My BP now is 146/89/74. All I ate yesterday was one boiled egg , Dash flavoring, and some shredded cheese twice ! I am going to eat one now for breakfast ! Preservatives like msg and salad non browning stuff, and wilted lettuce , aged cheeses and meats also cause problems ! Thanks for your insights ! > > > Still curious what organs cause these failures causing the sensitivities to salts and foods ! > > > > I had an allergic reaction to boiled shrimp when I was about 25 ! Everything seemed I could eat ! > > > > > > >

Guest guest

Hey Kip,

All of us with Conn's or hyperaldosteronism are salt sensitive, that's the main problem related to the Conn's syndrome (many have mutliple health issues so they may have other factors). If salt isn't there to serve as the intermediary causing the rise in our blood pressures, then we don't really have the issue - unless of course the HTN is from something else.

We with this illness produce too much aldosterone, usually due to an adenoma or hyperpplasia on our adrenals, and at a certain point, around/above 1500 of salt a day (that approx level found through Dr G's and others research), and because even though we have a sensitivity we HAVE to have some sodium for survival and proper function, yet our excess aldosterone (which people without Conn's don't have) is triggering the body to now retain the salt we have, which when the body does that it senses the elevated levels of positive ions and decides to dump our potassium - thus we tend to, but not everyone, pee all night as that is where we dump it - and doesn't hold on to calcium either, and apparently our magnesium likes to follow the potassium.

Very simplistic explanation and it's a complicated process, but in a nutshell this is what we are doing so we're all in theory salt-sensitive and salt is our slow killer, just like sugar to the diabetic. I can only speak for me, and like you I was/am/want to be again a very athletic guy, healthy, thin, and incredibly active. My sport were Tennis as I said, but basketball, football (I was a QB), baseball, and soccer mainly, were all aerobic based so maybe we're around now even in spite of our dangerous blood pressures going untreated because our hearts were healthy to start with.

But when this Conn's began and then worsened, most of my symptoms were due to a low potassium. I know this now, but for years I was seeking answers. On every blood tests between 2004 - 2011 I never had one single test with a normal potassium - and even though I was even hospitalized with critically high blood pressures multiple times (meaning 180/140ish) AND low potassiums not a single solitary medical professional ever considered Conn's in me (even when I was on 5 meds that didn't help it!)

My complaints all correllated with a low K; fatigue, weakness, cramping, headaches that were incredible, I also peed ALL night long and they always looked for diabetes, but blew off any other considerations even when I suggested it might be kidney, insomnia (I had it bad, but I also had episodes of hyperthyroidism that they also missed and the insomnia was beyond explanation), strange itches and tingles, low testosterone, ED, gosh and I could name more and more. Insomnia is what I always had number one because it bothered me most it seemed.

Once my K was corrected I felt better, really like I almost had my life back except by this point it had reached a level that I was not in my right mind and made some bad decisions (no legal issues) that have destroyed my professional career. You mentioned some of the things you eat that affected you in a good way, like nuts, but stuff like that is a great source of potassium and magnesium and maybe that's why.

As to salt I personally find, almost perfectly as Dr Grim has described, that I hit around 1500 and my pressure is back up, even on the spiro. So I DASH, not like I have said before, fanatically or crazy, because I am way to ADHD to stick to anything (not really adhd, but that's how I feel), but I keep the salt low mostly from staying away from packaged and canned foods, and cut out alot of breads (nothing completely, but WAY down) and the sodas for me took a bit because I hate water alone, but that seems to be the thing that made me feel best and let me stop the spironolactone for now.

Like I said I had horrible horribly high blood pressures and 180/ 140 wasn't rare at all, yet spiro got it down when nothing else would, and then just some inventory and cutting out things I am able to keep my salt down to below 1500 (I still enjoy some pizza now and then etc) and stop the spiro for now. I was also able to correct the potassium (I take it still) and now I exercise again and so on.

I think eating at the hospital, especially if you don't like to cook (I was the eldest of 8 children so I learned to cook and clean (NOT barbecue, but cook) because sometimes with a busy mom if I didn't do it, no one did - my wife is lucky that way that I learned by default!), is a great idea. I never thought that someone could do that.

Make sure you keep a journal on your experiences and write that book on the "Hospital Cafeteria Diet"....who knows it may make you the superstar.

My family history on my Dads side is VERY positive for death by CVA (stroke) and zero heart attacks, though grandma says no one ever had low potassium, but I wonder. Is it genetic? I have no idea. Every family has SOMEONE who was an alcoholic in the past, so does that mean if someone else does in the future it's genetic? Maybe, maybe not.

But I am obviously salt sensitive and I watch my 5 sisters and 2 brothers since I am the eldest and we all have the same parents, so I do not want them to ever go through what I have gone through all those years. But we don't know whats genetic. We are British on that side of the family, myself only 1 generation removed, so we did get bad teeth and a taste for fish and chips!

From: kip_walls <okiedokietoday@...>Subject: Re: What specific besides age causes salt sensitivity and food allergieshyperaldosteronism Date: Saturday, May 19, 2012, 6:38 AM

! ---

Guest guest

, on the food allergies thing: what changed over the years was the amount

and type of antibiotics are feed to cows and the " mechanically processed meats "

we and the animals are eating.

In the old days they used to feed cattle with hay maybe grains now they are

feeding them chicken bones and other crap and this requires antibiotics to keep

them healthy. And they are feeding stronger and stronger antibiotics for nastier

bugs and all these are making it into the milk we are drinking.

I am not a organic fanatic at all, but try some (expensive) glass bottled

organic milk from Whole Foods to see if that works better for you.

> .......................

> That's interesting. Are you developing those allergies in your young age or

were they around when you were younger? Or do you look back and now see

something was amiss. I've heard of alot of people developing allergies as they

get older. We drank milk with everything growing up, but now that I am older (45

today!) I luckily have lost my taste for it for some reason, but I also notice

when I do drink it I get alot of phlegm , a cough, and itchiness a little in

my chest - real allergy like. Not a big deal because I don't miss it much, but I

wonder why we develop intolerance to something as we age and are fine on it s

kids.

>  

> What's the thyroid issue, high or low?.

Guest guest

I think it would be good to detail your story in our Conn's stories file and refer folks there. It is a very detailed and compelling story that we need to put together and publish it in a PA Journal Or even in a story for the New Yorker or something like this. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn May 19, 2012, at 15:01, Bingham <jlkbbk2003@...> wrote:

Hey Kip,

All of us with Conn's or hyperaldosteronism are salt sensitive, that's the main problem related to the Conn's syndrome (many have mutliple health issues so they may have other factors). If salt isn't there to serve as the intermediary causing the rise in our blood pressures, then we don't really have the issue - unless of course the HTN is from something else.

We with this illness produce too much aldosterone, usually due to an adenoma or hyperpplasia on our adrenals, and at a certain point, around/above 1500 of salt a day (that approx level found through Dr G's and others research), and because even though we have a sensitivity we HAVE to have some sodium for survival and proper function, yet our excess aldosterone (which people without Conn's don't have) is triggering the body to now retain the salt we have, which when the body does that it senses the elevated levels of positive ions and decides to dump our potassium - thus we tend to, but not everyone, pee all night as that is where we dump it - and doesn't hold on to calcium either, and apparently our magnesium likes to follow the potassium.

Very simplistic explanation and it's a complicated process, but in a nutshell this is what we are doing so we're all in theory salt-sensitive and salt is our slow killer, just like sugar to the diabetic. I can only speak for me, and like you I was/am/want to be again a very athletic guy, healthy, thin, and incredibly active. My sport were Tennis as I said, but basketball, football (I was a QB), baseball, and soccer mainly, were all aerobic based so maybe we're around now even in spite of our dangerous blood pressures going untreated because our hearts were healthy to start with.

But when this Conn's began and then worsened, most of my symptoms were due to a low potassium. I know this now, but for years I was seeking answers. On every blood tests between 2004 - 2011 I never had one single test with a normal potassium - and even though I was even hospitalized with critically high blood pressures multiple times (meaning 180/140ish) AND low potassiums not a single solitary medical professional ever considered Conn's in me (even when I was on 5 meds that didn't help it!)

My complaints all correllated with a low K; fatigue, weakness, cramping, headaches that were incredible, I also peed ALL night long and they always looked for diabetes, but blew off any other considerations even when I suggested it might be kidney, insomnia (I had it bad, but I also had episodes of hyperthyroidism that they also missed and the insomnia was beyond explanation), strange itches and tingles, low testosterone, ED, gosh and I could name more and more. Insomnia is what I always had number one because it bothered me most it seemed.

Once my K was corrected I felt better, really like I almost had my life back except by this point it had reached a level that I was not in my right mind and made some bad decisions (no legal issues) that have destroyed my professional career. You mentioned some of the things you eat that affected you in a good way, like nuts, but stuff like that is a great source of potassium and magnesium and maybe that's why.

As to salt I personally find, almost perfectly as Dr Grim has described, that I hit around 1500 and my pressure is back up, even on the spiro. So I DASH, not like I have said before, fanatically or crazy, because I am way to ADHD to stick to anything (not really adhd, but that's how I feel), but I keep the salt low mostly from staying away from packaged and canned foods, and cut out alot of breads (nothing completely, but WAY down) and the sodas for me took a bit because I hate water alone, but that seems to be the thing that made me feel best and let me stop the spironolactone for now.

Like I said I had horrible horribly high blood pressures and 180/ 140 wasn't rare at all, yet spiro got it down when nothing else would, and then just some inventory and cutting out things I am able to keep my salt down to below 1500 (I still enjoy some pizza now and then etc) and stop the spiro for now. I was also able to correct the potassium (I take it still) and now I exercise again and so on.

I think eating at the hospital, especially if you don't like to cook (I was the eldest of 8 children so I learned to cook and clean (NOT barbecue, but cook) because sometimes with a busy mom if I didn't do it, no one did - my wife is lucky that way that I learned by default!), is a great idea. I never thought that someone could do that.

Make sure you keep a journal on your experiences and write that book on the "Hospital Cafeteria Diet"....who knows it may make you the superstar.

My family history on my Dads side is VERY positive for death by CVA (stroke) and zero heart attacks, though grandma says no one ever had low potassium, but I wonder. Is it genetic? I have no idea. Every family has SOMEONE who was an alcoholic in the past, so does that mean if someone else does in the future it's genetic? Maybe, maybe not.

But I am obviously salt sensitive and I watch my 5 sisters and 2 brothers since I am the eldest and we all have the same parents, so I do not want them to ever go through what I have gone through all those years. But we don't know whats genetic. We are British on that side of the family, myself only 1 generation removed, so we did get bad teeth and a taste for fish and chips!

From: kip_walls <okiedokietoday@...>Subject: Re: What specific besides age causes salt sensitivity and food allergieshyperaldosteronism Date: Saturday, May 19, 2012, 6:38 AM

! ---

Guest guest

A necessary and sufficient condition for HTN in PA is a high salt intake.May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn May 19, 2012, at 15:01, Bingham <jlkbbk2003@...> wrote:

Hey Kip,

! ---

Guest guest

I had never thought of that. I just might do that as I have never tried that kind before. I don't miss it too much but like my captain crunch berries every once in a while.

From: lvasiliu@... <lvasiliu@...>Subject: Re: What specific besides age causes salt sensitivity and food allergieshyperaldosteronism Date: Saturday, May 19, 2012, 6:51 PM

, on the food allergies thing: what changed over the years was the amount and type of antibiotics are feed to cows and the "mechanically processed meats" we and the animals are eating.In the old days they used to feed cattle with hay maybe grains now they are feeding them chicken bones and other crap and this requires antibiotics to keep them healthy. And they are feeding stronger and stronger antibiotics for nastier bugs and all these are making it into the milk we are drinking.I am not a organic fanatic at all, but try some (expensive) glass bottled organic milk from Whole Foods to see if that works better for you.>

........................> That's interesting. Are you developing those allergies in your young age or were they around when you were younger? Or do you look back and now see something was amiss. I've heard of alot of people developing allergies as they get older. We drank milk with everything growing up, but now that I am older (45 today!) I luckily have lost my taste for it for some reason, but I also notice when I do drink it I get alot of phlegm , a cough, and itchiness a little in my chest - real allergy like. Not a big deal because I don't miss it much, but I wonder why we develop intolerance to something as we age and are fine on it s kids. >  > What's the thyroid issue, high or low?.

Guest guest

I have spent my entire adult life - except the last 2 years now - as a paramedic or a physician assistant in the ER somewhere so I know hospital food very well and I actually love it. As medics we ALWAYS knew which had the best food (and who gave the medics free meals as alot did that for us) and when I was working the ER they always fed us free. I do wish, to be nice, they would feed the tech making $7.50 an hour for free, instead of me or the docs who get paid fair. One rural hospital in Texas always gave me a free plate, but not the guy or gal working with me (they always staffed the little ER with one paramedic, then me or a doc, and a nurse or two on the hospital floor) and I would give it to them. I appreciate it, but were a bit backwards sometimes in our thinking.

Still, I like hospital food in general.

For most of my life I could eat about anything and everything and I did !I have heard some organs or metabolic syndrome can change for a number of reasons ! I have likewise heard some can be stimulated to function properly and I would like to try that on my own . I concur that apparently I am genetically sensitive to salt and hypertension, and carbs and diabetes and food allergies ! All this is H and limits extremely what I can now eat and how I feel and what commitments I can be dependable in carrying out ! It affects my quality of life ! I can cut back on salt and carbs but I don't like cooking at home or cleaning up but I may have to once I get the Dash book I bought! I have been going to hospitals to eat but they don't serve the same food there as to patients which undermines my effort ! I ate baked battered chicken the other day with steamed brockely and green beans ! It cost under $4.00. The Chicken showed 100mg but on

closer inspection that was 100 per one ounce and they served me 3 which I bet was more than 1 OZ. I talked to a new hospital about making the food available they serve their cardiac and diabetic patients ! They have dieticians and prepare the food but don't serve it to non patients customers or staff ! They took note as it would be a niche market ! One sandwich they offered was great looking but just under 2000 mg of sodium! They couldn't tell me what the baked pork chop had which I ate with steamed veggies .I didn't eat nuts and strawberries and didn't have the cardiac issues I had yesterdy morning or night ! I thought I was about to have the big one ! My BP now is 146/89/74. All I ate yesterday was one boiled egg , Dash flavoring, and some shredded cheese twice ! I am going to eat one now for breakfast ! Preservatives like msg and salad non browning stuff, and wilted lettuce , aged cheeses and meats also cause problems

!Thanks for your insights !> > > Still curious what organs cause these failures causing the sensitivities to salts and foods !> > > > I had an allergic reaction to boiled shrimp when I was about 25 ! Everything seemed I could eat !> > > > >

>>

Guest guest